How to grow in Coco: Feed schedule

I'm no where close to being root bound in those 5 gal bags. Didn't know that was a requirement. What will happen if I flip and I'm not root bound ? Plants are good sized and look like they're ready to get me some prime buds. I will wait as long as necessary, how long you think before a 5 gal bag is root bound ? i can feel lots of fine roots, but not root bound . Thanks again for helping me .

Hey sp like I said as long as you have a fully developed root system you will be ok. Roots continue to grow a little in flower but not as much. I like a big root system to uptake all those nutes and support the plant with all my feeds. It allows me multifeeds even before flower or as soon as I flip. Just watch how much you are feeding. I don't multi feed until I see my container drying a little out during lights on and I know the roots are ready for multiple waterings. You'll see what I mean. The coco will look one way after you just water, it never looks dry but it will look not as wet. I'm not sure how long it will take to fill out a 5gal. Maybe a month and a half of veg? Takes about 3weeks maybe more in 2gal for multiple feeds. I'll have to take a note of how long it takes to start multiple feeds

Anyone have any thoughts on a slow drip irrigation system? Will a cheap gravity work okay? It would be a continuous slow drip 24/7 will this over water them? Also would I need an air stone to mix the feeds every so often and would this affect the speed of the drip?

Sent from my NEM-L51 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

I've ran a continuous on my little 4"container. It worked well when I had to run out for a few days. I used a gallon bottle but recommend something bigger. You will need an airstone to keep your nutes suspended. I used airline to take water to my plants because it was for one plant. You may need bigger tubing then what I used. I used an airhose control valve to make the water come out controlled. I hung it up from the ceiling and had it drip like 1 drop every second. It's a lot of trial and error and watching your plants for proper runoff and not overflow. I recommend a strong root system before you start continuous drip. They sell 2-3 gal buckets with a lid. That would be best. Drill a hole in the bottom put a grommet and a double ended barb and you can connect some tubing. Drill a hole in the top just so the airline can go in and make sure it's light tight.

Hey sp like I said as long as you have a fully developed root system you will be ok. Roots continue to grow a little in flower but not as much. I like a big root system to uptake all those nutes and support the plant with all my feeds. It allows me multifeeds even before flower or as soon as I flip. Just watch how much you are feeding. I don't multi feed until I see my container drying a little out during lights on and I know the roots are ready for multiple waterings. You'll see what I mean. The coco will look one way after you just water, it never looks dry but it will look not as wet. I'm not sure how long it will take to fill out a 5gal. Maybe a month and a half of veg? Takes about 3weeks maybe more in 2gal for multiple feeds. I'll have to take a note of how long it takes to start multiple feeds

I've ran a continuous on my little 4"container. It worked well when I had to run out for a few days. I used a gallon bottle but recommend something bigger. You will need an airstone to keep your nutes suspended. I used airline to take water to my plants because it was for one plant. You may need bigger tubing then what I used. I used an airhose control valve to make the water come out controlled. I hung it up from the ceiling and had it drip like 1 drop every second. It's a lot of trial and error and watching your plants for proper runoff and not overflow. I recommend a strong root system before you start continuous drip. They sell 2-3 gal buckets with a lid. That would be best. Drill a hole in the bottom put a grommet and a double ended barb and you can connect some tubing. Drill a hole in the top just so the airline can go in and make sure it's light tight.
Thanks BF, but you didn't say what will happen if I flip now instead of waiting for root bound. Is my yield gonna suffer, or will I be using more nutes than normal ?? Maybe i should have went with 3 gal bags ?? Ha !!

I've only flipped a plant that wasn't ready once a while ago in soil. The roots we're so small but I thought I gave it enough time. I did end up with a very low yield. I'm not sure how long you have been vegging for but you did say the plants are a good size. I find once the plant start it's vigorous growth in veg the roots are mostly settled and I can start my multifeeds or flip.

Dont worry about roots being root bound before flip. As long as the have good roots the plant will be fine and will push roots out first couple weeks of flower anyway. Nothinh to stress about.

Sent from my SM-G925F using 420 Magazine Mobile App
that's a big relief, thanks Cult. !! So I'll flip them and get this show on the road !! Done !!
As too my SOG grow that will be 6 weeks old tomorrow, how long should I plan on giving them straight water, before harvest ? I know these all finish in about 8 weeks. When should I stop all nutes. ? Journal is called; Slowpuffers sea of green in coco-in 2 liter bottles., and i can't get the signature link to work.
1_31_17_002.JPG
1_31_17_003.JPG
1_31_17_006.JPG

Why? Coco is way better than soil. Its super simple and you need to monitir ph and ec in soil the same as every other medium.

Mycorrhizae is beneficial bacteria such as great white. It helps roots with nutrient uptake. Check out my grow journals mate, theres nothing you wont find regarding growing in coco.

Some soil fert lines say NO ph adjusting with '!!!' behind it.

Mycorrhizae is a fungus

My first journal What's That? - White Light - What Does It Do? - It Grows

Using that light My very first DIY COB fixture

Ive been growing for 15 years or so and grown thousands and thousands of plants. I have a business that consists of running multiple grow ops that has made me very wealthy.

But what do i know??? ;)

That mycorrhizae is a fungus and some soil fert producers dont want the solution adjusted. Just maybe. Besides that tiny thing you seem doing fine :) no offense, just some knowledge of mine.

My first journal What's That? - White Light - What Does It Do? - It Grows

Using that light My very first DIY COB fixture

Cult I have a question brother, if I placed wooden dowles into my pots like Slowpuffer did it wouldn't harm my roots right? Not gonna bombard the pots with them but atleast 5-8 in each pot at about 5mm thick

Pat's Mars Hydro II 700W Grow

Pat's Small CFL Grow
I bought this little fence at home depot, it's made of like saw grass or wheat stalks. i been using that instead of the bambu stakes, as they're about 1/4th the diameter of bambu. And all buds need is a little help, not a tomato stake. Anyhow, the little fence is under $10 and sold at home depot. it's enough to last you a life time .

It's my impression that small plants in coco can be overwatered just as easily as in soil/soilless. False impression? If not- what size do you start soaking them down at? I've got a bunch in one gallon pots- they feel heavy as hell when soaked. In watering terms I've been babying my little ones as I normally would in peat moss but haven't taken the time to test the differences with coco yet. I've heard people say it 'can't be overwatered'- which I don't particularly believe. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom