I am confused about lights and height of lights and much much more, first time growing

Yes 30 to 60 wats per square foot and you have 4.16 square feet. Turbo bucket is right on you only need a few inches from led to canopy.My girls grab the lights all the time with little to no harm.The heat is the main issue so the back of your hand is the best metering tool for the job. The more important question is what strain are you growing? Your measurements were 5' tall 2.5'wide by 1.5 deep roughly. So for example; 5 foot - 1 foot for the pot - 1 foot for fixture-6 inch distance for light= 2.5 feet at harvest max. Strain pending it will double in size in flower so veg to 15 inches max. Will the strain you are growing be mature at 15 inches? Will it stay in the 1.5 feet of depth you have in the cabinet? Space and air are bigger concerns than the light in your setup I would think.

If it is true to the name you should be ok. Two seed banks using the same name can be two entirely different plants. Should be ruderalis /afghan hybrid deigned for stealth grow. Might be a little tight but it should work.You aren't going to get much light past the canopy once it fills in and you want to train the plant to grow primarily in two directions (up and to the sides not out).You may want to add some side lighting. Along the lines of a 4 foot florescent bulb on each side wall.It will naturally grow towards the light and may help fatten lower buds. Fluorescence can use a 5000k+ bulb for veg then swap in 3000k- for flower.Have you figured out venting? Don't want that thing turning into an easy bake oven.

Since there are no standards in the LED lighting business, I strongly suggest that you invest in a $35 light meter. A cell phone meter won't cut it, but with a decent light meter you will be able to get an idea how much LUX you are throwing down on your plants at any particular height, and it is that number that will help you dial this in. Each stage of growth needs a different intensity of light, and being able to measure it instead of guessing or relying on a chart you are not sure you can trust, is the only way to go.

Any suggestions for a cheap but semi-decent light meter?

edit: should have all posts first :rolleyes:;)

If i understood correctly should i just skip the 6000k lights and just using my 3000k light for all stages? i will purchase a light meter today, what lux will i be reading on top of my plant?
Thanks for all the replies guys .
IMG_20200426_165642.jpg
Forget LUX, it's PAR what's important.

And old style LED chip like the 5w Epistar chips found in most cheaper LEDs mostly blurples that are more than a few years old will need to be no closer than about 15-18" or it will fry the buds.
The newer LEDs using the LM301B diodes can be run within 6".

And a LUX meter can give you a close measurement of your PAR you just have to convert LUX to PPFD.
It's not as accurate as a good PAR meter but it's also not $500.

And old style LED chip like the 5w Epistar chips found in most cheaper LEDs mostly blurples that are more than a few years old will need to be no closer than about 15-18" or it will fry the buds.
The newer LEDs using the LM301B diodes can be run within 6".

And a LUX meter can give you a close measurement of your PAR you just have to convert LUX to PPFD.
It's not as accurate as a good PAR meter but it's also not $500.

I have 2 lights with the lm301h diodes, and they will burn/bleach the tops of the plant if you get them too close. I found any closer than 12 inches in flowering and they start to burn/bleach the tops. So no they can’t be that close.

I have 2 lights with the lm301h diodes, and they will burn/bleach the tops of the plant if you get them too close. I found any closer than 12 inches in flowering and they start to burn/bleach the tops. So no they can’t be that close.
Just depends on the configuration I guess.
Mine (strip light) can get to 6" without any problem especially if they are dimmed down some.
A Quantum board at full blast probably not.

I run my Budget series 3+ dimmed down about 8" off my plants with no issues. Let the plants tell you where they want the lights though is the best advice I can offer, no two grows are the same!

Back
Top Bottom