Icemud Goes LED - Featuring Top LED Grow - Cherry Pie GSC/OGiesel/SFV OG/UVH OG

Re: Icemud Goes LED: Featuring Top LED Grow: Cherry Pie - GSC - OGiesel - SFV OG - UV

Hi Icemud, great journal so far!

Do you think that the plants aren't vegging as quickly is due to the fact that they aren't under a CMH or HID, or due to the fact that you're only running about 450w?

It looks like your tent is about 4 x 3. I'm looking at a 1200w (Mars 2 so actually it's 1125w i think) in a 5 x 5, which is twice the size tent, with only 2.5 times the wattage (roughly the same as what you have here). It's concerning me a bit that i might need more watts, perhaps 2 x 700w or 2 x 900w... :(

They say a 1200w covers a 4 x 4, so i might be better off just paying a bit more and getting 2 lesser wattage

Thanks for all your info online btw mate, really helpful to all of us noobs!

Hey Doozy!

Thanks my friend!

I am really not sure why the veg is slower under the reflector series than a 400w HID, my guess is that I'm only running about 180w of LED vs the 400w HID so it may just not be generating as much light?? By looks it seems pretty bright, so I don't know if that is the issue or not but to me it just seems that my plans are definitely shorter than previous grows under HID, however I do want to add that the plants are much more bushy and tighter nodes under LED.

My tent is a 2.5'x5'x7' tent and the 144x3w is rated for a much larger space than that. I had the light sitting about 2' away from the top of the canopy, and yesterday I moved it down to about 15" away from the canopy, which due to the inverse rule, I should be getting more light by moving it closer. I think that the light is good, but really not sure why the veg is that much slower with it seemingly the same brightness by eye.

I've never used the Mars II for veg, and I don't really plan on it so I can't help much on that angle however my Mars II 80x5w were rated for a 2.5'x2.5' area so I don't know how the larger ones in the series would perform.

Re: Icemud Goes LED: Featuring Top LED Grow: Cherry Pie - GSC - OGiesel - SFV OG - UV

Hi Icemud, great journal so far!

Do you think that the plants aren't vegging as quickly is due to the fact that they aren't under a CMH or HID, or due to the fact that you're only running about 450w?

It looks like your tent is about 4 x 3. I'm looking at a 1200w (Mars 2 so actually it's 1125w i think) in a 5 x 5, which is twice the size tent, with only 2.5 times the wattage (roughly the same as what you have here). It's concerning me a bit that i might need more watts, perhaps 2 x 700w or 2 x 900w... :(

They say a 1200w covers a 4 x 4, so i might be better off just paying a bit more and getting 2 lesser wattage

Thanks for all your info online btw mate, really helpful to all of us noobs!

The only problem I can find with the MarsII lights is they don't have any rectangle models available. Sara if your listening can you get us some rectangle marsII please :D This makes it hard to evenly cover a square area if you need more than 1 light without going all the way to four lights. I think the 1200 would work good for a 5x5 esp if your not concerned with getting the max out of every last square inch around the edges. If you really want to cram the light in 4 x 400w marsII would work good but its gonna cost about 300 more bucks than just running the big single 1200. I have the 700w and have been trying to figure out what to do with it long term, short term I am going to run it in a 2x4 tent for some autoflowers. I kinda wish I would of got the 400w and then I could run 3 of them 1 for each plant I intend to grow. 3 of the 700w is more than I am going to need. I will probably just end up getting one more of the 700w that should nicely cover a 6'x3' - 7'x3.5' area.

Check out my journal when you get a chance there is some talk in there about MarsII sizing for 4x4 and 5x5 tents with someone running a 5x5 with marsII lighting.

Something else I noticed about the MarsII lights. The 700 and 1200 seem to have more chips per claimed square foot of coverage than other other models. There is 60 more chips in the 700 compared to the 400 but only 40 more chips between the 700 and 900 and then 60 more again on the 1200 over the 900 yet they all claim to give an additional 6" squared coverage. I have no idea if this effects their output and if these two models actually have stronger light over its covered area then the others. Kind of like running a 400 hid compared to 600. Anyone have any ideas?

Happy Tokerday Ice :thumb:

Looking for the GLR expert! I was referred by a few high brix growers (of which i am currently now). Could you please link me to the details of glr please sir or give me the low down real quick? Id really appreciate it. There seems to be several benefits, in many ways, to the glr technique/method. Any help would be awesome sir! Thank you so much :)

Ice what kind of coverage do those reflector model LEDs put off? The one you have claims 6.6'x2.2' coverage. Do you feel it really can cover a 6' area or is it more suited for 4'? Also how far away do you need to keep them from the plants?

My 700w MarsII seems to be doing a good job of filling my 2x4 tent but it only has seedlings in it at the moment so once its full of plants that could change. I'm trying to plan out my veg / mom area and at the moment I am thinking of a shelf in a 2x2.5 tent 3' up. Under it I would keep a couple moms with either the little reflector series or t5s and on the top either a marsII 80w or the reflector series to run a single auto flower and 2 vegging plants for a couple weeks each cycle. Either that or the 2x4 tent with the reflector panel on one side and a 80w marsII on the other.

Thanks!

Looking for the GLR expert! I was referred by a few high brix growers (of which i am currently now). Could you please link me to the details of glr please sir or give me the low down real quick? Id really appreciate it. There seems to be several benefits, in many ways, to the glr technique/method. Any help would be awesome sir! Thank you so much :)
I started my tent grow in glr have to say groth was amazing just switched to flower and going crazy

Gas Lantern Routine / Diminishing Light Schedule

Ice what kind of coverage do those reflector model LEDs put off? The one you have claims 6.6'x2.2' coverage. Do you feel it really can cover a 6' area or is it more suited for 4'? Also how far away do you need to keep them from the plants?

My 700w MarsII seems to be doing a good job of filling my 2x4 tent but it only has seedlings in it at the moment so once its full of plants that could change. I'm trying to plan out my veg / mom area and at the moment I am thinking of a shelf in a 2x2.5 tent 3' up. Under it I would keep a couple moms with either the little reflector series or t5s and on the top either a marsII 80w or the reflector series to run a single auto flower and 2 vegging plants for a couple weeks each cycle. Either that or the 2x4 tent with the reflector panel on one side and a 80w marsII on the other.

Thanks!

Hey Smokey, Well I don't have a light/par meter so I can't give you an exact yes or no type answer but based on my visual perception of the 144x3w, I would say it probably is good for optimal lighting for a 2 1/2' x 5' area, I don't really see it having a core or optimal area much larger than this, however, I have not yet flowered with this light, so my observations are only based on the current usage which is for veg. To give a more accurate answer I would have to get a PAR/Light Meter and take Umol readings to see what the actual intensities are and given distances, to see if they reach the light compensation point (point that photosynthesis takes place) and what distances away from the light. I started with my light about 2 1/2' from my plants, but the growth was slow, so I just lowered it to about 15" from the plants and they seem to have picked up growth. I would recommend the reflector panels for veg, and mars for flowering.

Thanks ice! Just switched :). This is my first grow and its high brix from doc. Now switching to glr....haha!! We'll see how it goes :)
Thanks again sir! Oh, ive subscribed to your youtube channel! Lots of great info :)

Re: Icemud goes LED: Featuring TOP GROW LED: Cherry Pie, GSC, OGiesel, SFV OG, UVH OG

I have a grow room that is 4 foot wide, 10 foot long and 8 foot tall. Can you tell me how many of the reflector led lights like you show in your grow tent that it would take to adequately cover this area? Thanks

Icemud I got a question. I have had to change my grow area from 4x4x6.5 to 4x2x6.5.....I was gonna use a 8 bucket DWC system I already have it. Now I'm wondering if this will be to small of an area for the 8 plants. I am getting the mars2 1200 watt. Thoughts???

im assuming 6.5 feet tall
4ftx2ft
8 plants in dwc?
I don't think it will fit unless you get skinny plants
im in a 4x4 ill be lucky if I can fit with room the plants I got in there now when they get bigger
and im just talking about the dwc plants
all my plants were vegged only 3 weeks the dwc the soil I don't really count its either a mother im flowering out or a clone I didn't wanna waste and toss away
lotta wattage for 4x2 area also
but then again can you have enough light indoors?

oh yea Happy Weednsday Ice :thumb:

Icemud I got a question. I have had to change my grow area from 4x4x6.5 to 4x2x6.5.....I was gonna use a 8 bucket DWC system I already have it. Now I'm wondering if this will be to small of an area for the 8 plants. I am getting the mars2 1200 watt. Thoughts???

Like Ice said. Unless you want very small plants then 8 will be too crowded. I used to do 4 nice sized bushy plants in a 4x4. I plan on doing 2 in my 2x4. That light will be overkill also unless you want it for a future bigger grow. The 700w is filling my 2x4x8 very well, the 900 would be just the right amount of overkill IMO. You can pull a lot of bud off 2 bigger plants in a 2x4, 6-8oz shouldn't be a problem once you have everything sorted out.

Re: Icemud goes LED: Featuring TOP GROW LED: Cherry Pie, GSC, OGiesel, SFV OG, UVH OG

I have a grow room that is 4 foot wide, 10 foot long and 8 foot tall. Can you tell me how many of the reflector led lights like you show in your grow tent that it would take to adequately cover this area? Thanks

Hey Captain bud, welcome. I will try to answer your question best I can, but I would also leave this question in the TOP LED thread to get other responses being I only have experience with 2 of TOP LED's models. I don't know if you plan on vegging in that room, flowering, or both, but for a room of that height, I probably would recommend the Mars II lights over the reflector series. The Mars Lights seem to be more "focused" and intense directly under the lights with good penetration vs the reflector lights which don't seem to give as good of penetration, but do a great job of blending the spectrums for a veg setup (maybe flowering too, I haven't tried so I can't give an accurate answer).

As far as lighting that area, you may want to ask a few other growers who have larger spaces than I do and use the Mars II lights. I have found, well at least with mine, the data on the website is pretty accurate to real life and based on your size, and what the website recommends, I would probably (if it were my setup with that size room) go with 4x the Mars II 1200w lights, or 6 of the 700w ones, 4 standard spectrum and 2 with the flowering spectrum.. For a more accurate recommendation though, I would ask others with larger grow area's and use the Mars II lights, you can find them here...

Mars-Hydro LED Grow Light Discussion

2x4x6 is a little small for 8 plants, unless you plan on doing very little veg time, like 1 week from clone and then flipping to flowering right away... (see Sea of Green or SOG growing). I would probably narrow it down to 6 for that size, and even that is slightly pushing it if you are going for big plants 3-4' ones.. If you do decide to go with 8, then definitely look into SOG growing and that is what I would suggest.

2x4x6 is a little small for 8 plants, unless you plan on doing very little veg time, like 1 week from clone and then flipping to flowering right away... (see Sea of Green or SOG growing). I would probably narrow it down to 6 for that size, and even that is slightly pushing it if you are going for big plants 3-4' ones.. If you do decide to go with 8, then definitely look into SOG growing and that is what I would suggest.

Just to add to what Ice has already said here...that MarsII 1200 is way to big of a light for a 4x2x6 as well, it'll never light your tent properly, it needs roughly 3' from the tops to work properly too...I have that light in a 4x4x7 and it might be a just a touch much for that size of area its also square you might want to look into how Icemud went about lighting his rectangle tent.

Happy Thurweed day Ice :thumb:

Hi Ice,
Thanks for the info. Sara at Top Led has emailed me separately and you are right, she is great and has loads of particular info. The 192x3w relfector system is what she recommends as they cover a 4.4 x 4.4 foot area. So we figure to use 3 of them. I think as my plants grow I might add some T5 corner lights too. What with the exhaust, cooling and heating system and humidity controls along with the insulation and mylar reflective material on the ceiling, walls and floor this project represents a large investment. I am a very newbie indoor grower. All my growing experience has been outdoors and that was over 35 years ago. I am 65 and now retired, so I have plenty of time to grow and nurture my girls. I plan on starting with feminized seeds and would ask if you have any reccommendations as to good indoor strains. I perfer potency over quantity. Many Thanks, Captain Bud

Back
Top Bottom