If I start my grow with Fox Farm Ocean Forest soil do I still have to add nutrients during vegetative growth and especially during the 12/12 flowering

Angel413

If I start my grow with Fox farm ocean forest soil do I still have to add nutrients during vegetative growth and especially during the 12/12 flowering

It's a pretty hot product. Even after cutting it to fill your container - the usual mix is 25% perlite to 75% FFOF, sometimes 33% perlite to 66% soil, etc. - you won't need any additional nutrients initially. One thing that a lot of growers who use the product do is, before using the soil, they'll open the bag, dump it out into something... Those cheap little "kiddie pools" work great for mixing stuff like this - far better than spreading newspaper on the garage floor and trying not to make a mess - and, if you are in an area that experiences Winter, you can probably find them at a deeply discounted price this time of year (try stores like Big Lots, Ollie's, whatever you have in your region that sells stuff that they couldn't sell in other stores at the regular price, overstocks, "seconds," et cetera). Anyway, folks like to dump the entire bag into something so that they can mix in some additional lime. Not everyone, but a lot of people. See post #7 in this thread:

...post #2 in this thread:

...et cetera.

I see that you are a new member, and am guessing that your cannabis growing experience is slight. I could offer some suggestions, but might end up making incorrect assumptions that you might not know enough to correct me on. So let me do something a little different, lol. I'm going to try "paging" three members who have a fair bit of experience growing cannabis in Fox Farm Ocean Forest soil.
@elbrandone , @Chris Scorpio , and @Marzbadrock : Would you guys please offer some tips to a new grower who is going to be using FFOF soil? See his post (#1, above) for initial information. Also, it might be helpful to post links to (your) grow journals. And if one or more of you have the time and inclination to sort of act as a mentor, that would be awesome, lol.

Angel413: Hopefully, they'll see the "page" and respond. In the meantime, you can have a read through elbrandone's first journal to get you started:

And good luck on your grow!

Another member who has experience with FFOF and who is known to help others gain knowledge is @fanleaf . Here's one of his completed grow journals:

If I start my grow with Fox farm ocean forest soil do I still have to add nutrients during vegetative growth and especially during the 12/12 flowering
Many variables to consider, but first question is inside or out? Also, size of pot?

As mentioned above me. There are many variables to take into consideration with your questions. Autoflower or photo? Pot size? Do you plan to up-pot them as they grow in veg? How long do you plan to veg them if they aren't auto's? And another important factor is what is the size of your grow room and what lights exactly and how many of those lights?

If you can answer those questions the best you can we can give you a much better idea.
If running autos under strong lights with high par coverage in say 5 gallon pots you proba ly wouldnt need to add anything but good water until somewhere around week 3 of flower. If running those same autos in 3 gallon pots you will be adding somewhere around the beginning of flower. Do you see where I'm going here?

If running photo plants in the same environment in 5 gallon pots with a 8 week veg you will be adding to the soil well before flower time. If in 10 gallon pots it would be much much later...
There are still other variables but if you can tell us more, we can tell you more.

Grow skill level and watering properly will have a huge impact on all of this as well.

In FFOF which is great soil, my guess is that like myself, when a new grower uses this soil and doesn't water properly that is where you will have big problems. FFOF can get out of whack quick with improper watering habits. It can be a great soil for certain but only if treated properly.

As mentioned above me. There are many variables to take into consideration with your questions. Autoflower or photo? Pot size? Do you plan to up-pot them as they grow in veg? How long do you plan to veg them if they aren't auto's? And another important factor is what is the size of your grow room and what lights exactly and how many of those lights?

If you can answer those questions the best you can we can give you a much better idea.
If running autos under strong lights with high par coverage in say 5 gallon pots you proba ly wouldnt need to add anything but good water until somewhere around week 3 of flower. If running those same autos in 3 gallon pots you will be adding somewhere around the beginning of flower. Do you see where I'm going here?

If running photo plants in the same environment in 5 gallon pots with a 8 week veg you will be adding to the soil well before flower time. If in 10 gallon pots it would be much much later...
There are still other variables but if you can tell us more, we can tell you more.

Grow skill level and watering properly will have a huge impact on all of this as well.

In FFOF which is great soil, my guess is that like myself, when a new grower uses this soil and doesn't water properly that is where you will have big problems. FFOF can get out of whack quick with improper watering habits. It can be a great soil for certain but only if treated properly.

Thanks for all this inf.
Many variables to consider, but first question is inside or out? Also, size of pot?
I’m growing indoor

I’m growing indoor with 5 gallon pot. Is my 2 grow that I have done. The 2 grow I did I use coco fiber as base and use flora nova NPK they did good the only problem was that I was feeding to much. I want to try fox farm or it will be better if I make my own soil mix

Strain: Northern light Fem seeds. not auto flower

It's a pretty hot product. Even after cutting it to fill your container - the usual mix is 25% perlite to 75% FFOF, sometimes 33% perlite to 66% soil, etc. - you won't need any additional nutrients initially. One thing that a lot of growers who use the product do is, before using the soil, they'll open the bag, dump it out into something... Those cheap little "kiddie pools" work great for mixing stuff like this - far better than spreading newspaper on the garage floor and trying not to make a mess - and, if you are in an area that experiences Winter, you can probably find them at a deeply discounted price this time of year (try stores like Big Lots, Ollie's, whatever you have in your region that sells stuff that they couldn't sell in other stores at the regular price, overstocks, "seconds," et cetera). Anyway, folks like to dump the entire bag into something so that they can mix in some additional lime. Not everyone, but a lot of people. See post #7 in this thread:

...post #2 in this thread:

...et cetera.

I see that you are a new member, and am guessing that your cannabis growing experience is slight. I could offer some suggestions, but might end up making incorrect assumptions that you might not know enough to correct me on. So let me do something a little different, lol. I'm going to try "paging" three members who have a fair bit of experience growing cannabis in Fox Farm Ocean Forest soil.
@elbrandone , @Chris Scorpio , and @Marzbadrock : Would you guys please offer some tips to a new grower who is going to be using FFOF soil? See his post (#1, above) for initial information. Also, it might be helpful to post links to (your) grow journals. And if one or more of you have the time and inclination to sort of act as a mentor, that would be awesome, lol.

Angel413: Hopefully, they'll see the "page" and respond. In the meantime, you can have a read through elbrandone's first journal to get you started:

And good luck on your grow!

Thanks for the reference @TorturedSoul ! :)

@Angel413 I've used FFOF soil since my first grow. However, I'm only finishing my second grow now, so I'm not an expert.

I've found you do not need to add any nutrients until about week 3. You could probably go longer but I like to get a good stretch in before flowering. I use fabric bags. 1st grow I started in 1 gal and up potted to 3 gal. This grow I started in 3 gal with the old soil (big mistake) and up potted to 7 gal. I'm using Fox Farms dirty dozen on this grow. I was happy with the trio on my first White Widow grow, but felt the buds could have been bigger. Now that I've switched to the dirty dozen I feel like they are lot better size. That could just be from the genetics though. My current grow is Gelato.

I'll check back tomorrow and ask about your setup. Its 1230 am and I have to be up in 6 hours. :(

One of the most imprtant factors will be to make sure you don't over water. I'm a huge fan of fabric bags because then I can more easily control the saturation from top to bottom.

Strain: Northern light Fem seeds. not auto flower
Dont be afraid to start your seedlings right in fresh 100% FFOF soil. While it is a rich soil our plants know what do do with it.
Are you starting the seeds right in the 5 gallon pots or are you starting them in smaller pots with plans on transplanting them up to the 5 gallon pots as they grow? (Highly recommended for newish growers). Way easier to keep watering under control so some of the soil dont stay saturated for a week or more at a time and get all squirrelly as far as the ph goes.
In 5 gallon pots you will be needing to add food after 3-5 weeks depending on your lights and overall growth. The plants will let you know when they need it. It's very wise to wait until they tell you they need it instead of just adding anything just in case. That rarely works out well.
If you were in 15-20 gallon pots you could go start to finish with only water more than likely.

5gal last 2-3 months give or take on strain and genetics. 7gal last 4-5 months give or take on strain and genetics. That is with 6 solo cups of perlite to one 1.5 cu ft bag. That is from my years of growing with it. Now will it grow longer, yes but you might see deficiencies start or lack of yield.
:passitleft:

Watch your watering, you want the pot to get mostly dry but not all the way. Use the lift method, or right when your bottom leaves start to droop at latest. Learn to read your plants, they tell you everything you need to know. When to water, when you over water, what they want for food. When it comes to nutrients just remember less is more and it's easier to bump your nutrients up than it is to remove excess. Also put them in appropriate size container for plant size. Don't get caught up in the hype of bud booster and flavorings. Your soil will do 75% of the work, just help it along. I've got 3 bottles of nutrients that I use through flowering stage at 1/4 to 1/2 strength n never have a deficiency.
Wish you best of luck with your grow, hope your buds are bountiful and stanky!

Back
Top Bottom