In The Lab

Most excellent. Biochar is such a magical substance.

It seems to me that inoculated biochar and live red wriggler worms in your type mix would go a long ways towards making a living, reusable planting mix.

In a large raised bed, I fully agree. In small containers like this? I'm not sure how much benefit there would be.

We already have a living, reusable mix.......but on a different scale it could be better!

I hope that I don't get flamed for this but after reading about the hi-brix growing method I'm very interested in purchasing a kit. Of course I'm new to this forum so I can't send pm's until after 20 posts ( I guess I better get to it huh?) I'm waiting on the arrival of my two mars II 1200's and really want to go the Hi-brix route. Any suggestions? Thanks for any help guys and gals. Happy growing.

I hope that I don't get flamed for this but after reading about the hi-brix growing method I'm very interested in purchasing a kit. Of course I'm new to this forum so I can't send pm's until after 20 posts ( I guess I better get to it huh?) I'm waiting on the arrival of my two mars II 1200's and really want to go the Hi-brix route. Any suggestions? Thanks for any help guys and gals. Happy growing.

We don't "flame" here bro. We're all very polite and helpful on this forum. :high-five:

I've just sent you a PM.

You'll do very well combining HB and LED. Many of the High Brix gang is using LED, including the last 2 Plant of the Month Winners. I'm also using LED on one tray. See the link to the journal at the bottom of this post.

See you around, and welcome!

You will also want to look up Curso, he grows hb and use to use 2 1200s.

Make sure you have good clean water, ignore the height and coverage listed in the top led site in flowering and follow the directions. If it seems way to easy and you feel like you should be doing much more than you are then your doing it right!

Hey Doc, because of you and your calcium knowledge, I upgraded my recipe. Hopefully next round my yield will be even bigger in coco. I appreciate that. My afgoo and kushs' run next round will truly benefit from you. Thank you.

We don't "flame" here bro. We're all very polite and helpful on this forum. :high-five:

I've just sent you a PM.

You'll do very well combining HB and LED. Many of the High Brix gang is using LED, including the last 2 Plant of the Month Winners. I'm also using LED on one tray. See the link to the journal at the bottom of this post.

See you around, and welcome!

Thanks for the encouragement Doc I knew we were adults here. I don't think I got the pm I'll check again... I still consider myself new at this with about a half-dozen Autoflower grows and one outdoor gorilla grow under my belt. The autoflower grows were done with T5 lighting surprisingly yielding good results. I know I can do much better and that's what I'm shooting for with my next grow.

Make sure you have good clean water, ignore the height and coverage listed in the top led site in flowering and follow the directions. If it seems way to easy and you feel like you should be doing much more than you are then your doing it right!

Thanks man! When you say ignore the height coverage listed what do you mean? I too wondered about this. I'm using two 48x48x80 tents and am planning to use a 1200 in each one. Thanks for the help brother.

Thanks man! When you say ignore the height coverage listed what do you mean? I too wondered about this. I'm using two 48x48x80 tents and am planning to use a 1200 in each one. Thanks for the help brother.

For example I have the 700w marsII and its rated at 3.5'x3.5' of coverage but I get somewhere between 2'-2.5' squared of real usable coverage (actually I should say optimal coverage) out of it once I drop it down to around a foot above the plants and I keep it there throughout flowering. You have bigger lights then I do so you shouldn't need to go that low though. I think you will be very happy with those lights in those tents, if anything you might have not perfect intensity at the last 6" around the edges but I prefer to keep my plants from being right on my tent walls anyway.

Welcome to the team HB by the way, you are going to love this method of growing its just so easy and produces unbelievable results :thumb:

For example I have the 700w marsII and its rated at 3.5'x3.5' of coverage but I get somewhere between 2'-2.5' squared of real usable coverage (actually I should say optimal coverage) out of it once I drop it down to around a foot above the plants and I keep it there throughout flowering. You have bigger lights then I do so you shouldn't need to go that low though. I think you will be very happy with those lights in those tents, if anything you might have not perfect intensity at the last 6" around the edges but I prefer to keep my plants from being right on my tent walls anyway.

Welcome to the team HB by the way, you are going to love this method of growing its just so easy and produces unbelievable results :thumb:

I'm gonna say for sure double the lights. The ones I'm using right now say they're good for a 3x6 footprint, and I have TWO of them covering a 3x6 and I wish I had a bit more light. The plants are absolutely perfect, but I'd like to see larger plants. Mine are 600's.....I'd like to have two of the 900's in the same spot. THEN, I think I could match the yield of the two 1000 watt HID's that I used to have over that tray.

I'm gonna say for sure double the lights. The ones I'm using right now say they're good for a 3x6 footprint, and I have TWO of them covering a 3x6 and I wish I had a bit more light. The plants are absolutely perfect, but I'd like to see larger plants. Mine are 600's.....I'd like to have two of the 900's in the same spot. THEN, I think I could match the yield of the two 1000 watt HID's that I used to have over that tray.
Wait... Double the light? I've heard the 1200's put out a considerable amount of heat I'm not sure that I could handle two in one tent. I saw a member that was using two and mentioned it being difficult to keep temps down. I really think that would be a problem for me.

Wait... Double the light? I've heard the 1200's put out a considerable amount of heat I'm not sure that I could handle two in one tent. I saw a member that was using two and mentioned it being difficult to keep temps down. I really think that would be a problem for me.

If heat is a problem, and AC is out of the question, then use that light in a 3x3 or 4x4 footprint. This is what the guys who are really killing it with LED are doing.

But this journal is about High Brix...not LED. I'd love to talk LED on my other journal!

Growing in general is 90% environment, 8% "skill" and 2% nutes.

Environment=Temps, Rh, Lighting/darkness, photoperiod.

Get all that in order and you can grow amazing weed with Osmocote for about 20cents per plant.
Put High Brix soil into a perfect environment and you'll be famous.

Yup if your going for max yield out of each tent more light will be needed. I don't know what your goals are I only have about 2.5 x 4.5 of my 5x5 in use with a 700 and a 400 and I could actually use a bit more on the one long side but I can produce more then enough to meet my needs with the watts I have.

If you want more lights check out the platinum lights or the topled reflector series, they have rectangle shapes that would fill your tent in better then 2 square lights would. It's pretty much impossible to evenly cover a square with 2 smaller squares. :thumb:

If you don't need max yield on your first round you can always see how they do and how you like your coverage and then decide if you need more light for your next grow.

Sorry to hijack Doc, i just went through this exact same thing with my setup once I already bought my 700 and realized it wasn't big enough to cover as much as I wanted and then I realized there was no good way to only buy one more light and fill the whole thing. Luckily I don't need the whole thing :D

Are you going to start a journal?

Yup if your going for max yield out of each tent more light will be needed. I don't know what your goals are I only have about 2.5 x 4.5 of my 5x5 in use with a 700 and a 400 and I could actually use a bit more on the one long side but I can produce more then enough to meet my needs with the watts I have.

If you want more lights check out the platinum lights or the topled reflector series, they have rectangle shapes that would fill your tent in better then 2 square lights would. It's pretty much impossible to evenly cover a square with 2 smaller squares. :thumb:

If you don't need max yield on your first round you can always see how they do and how you like your coverage and then decide if you need more light for your next grow.

Sorry to hijack Doc, i just went through this exact same thing with my setup once I already bought my 700 and realized it wasn't big enough to cover as much as I wanted and then I realized there was no good way to only buy one more light and fill the whole thing. Luckily I don't need the whole thing :D

Sorry doc need to chime in real fast. A 1200 covers a 4x4 just fine.

Thanks for the info mcfly.... Guess I'll be visiting top led website again! Sara is gonna love me! Lol. I would like to start a journal but want to know the safest way to post pics before I do.

Soon to order my hi brix kit and I'm very excited for it. This all started with a conversation I was having at my local grow store about ph'ing nutrients solution when gardening in soil, long story short after a bit of searching I found hi brix. Really excited!

Soon to order my hi brix kit and I'm very excited for it. This all started with a conversation I was having at my local grow store about ph'ing nutrients solution when gardening in soil, long story short after a bit of searching I found hi brix. Really excited!

Ph-ing water is a pita. Not needing to do it anymore was the biggest selling point of docs kit for me next to the results :)

Ph-ing water is a pita. Not needing to do it anymore was the biggest selling point of docs kit for me next to the results :)

The pH of hydroponics solution is critical.
The pH of a pot of proper soil is also critical.

However, the notion that changing the pH of the feed water will effect the pH of 7 gallons of mineralized dirt is just silly. If you grow in soil, just ignore all the pH chatter. It's not at all necessary or meaningful.

If you're in hydro, however, you'd best pay careful attention to pH.

Back
Top Bottom