Indoor Grow July 2009 : AustralianQ1 CaliGDP CaliSSH CaliOrange DutchWidowSkunk

Greenisland,

The Q1 isn't so much a hermi as it is a feminised strain. By this, it is always a female plant from seed, as I have bred it back and forwards, introduce new foreign male traits of another plant, etc.. So what happens is that it may throw a male flower here and there, generally don't mature and simply fall off. If I do get a flower that opens, I cross it into another Q1 I have growing at the same time and so maintain the feminised trait.

For some reason, and I have read the same things you have about potency falling away if back breeding occurs too often, the strain never has. In fact over the years of breeding and crossing others into it, I find that every now and again I will taste in the smoke a taste that reminds me of a plant from years ago that was crossed into it.

Funnily enough, I am still not sold on the 1000watt as being better overall than the 600Watt. In 4 weeks time I should be able to better assess the benefit. I still think a 400 & 600 being used together, one as MH and the other as HPS, would be a better use of 1000 watts. So many experiements to do!! I so love growing Cannabis!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's a good example of what DGMGH was talking about, if you look closely, you can see both male and female pre-flowers:
Cali-Q_009.JPG

Q1 Day 64

Pictures below are of the Q1, plant number 2, 36 days into flower, the plant itself is 57 days old.
Q1_day_48.JPG

Day_48_2.JPG

As I have 2 Q1 plants growing, this particular plant is 1 week behind the other. Typically though, the strain shows out exactly the same time each grow. By the 4th week into flower, the plant has completely finished stretching, the bud sites have started to power. The 3-5th week of the flowering water useage is also noticeably higher as the plant starts to get flower set for a heavy crop.

The buds themselves, really chunk out at 5 weeks until the harvest time. As it is always a variable on the "up high v couch lock picking time", I go for 8-10 weeks for what I like as a 70-30 trich colour. Then of course friends like a 12 week Q1, etc.....

We have much in common, I definitely prefer an earlier harvest, about early to mid peak for me, and as you stated, the friends always want the sedative.

Most tokers seem to prefer the sedative stone.

I'm in the other camp also, and prefer a cerebral high, but my wife likes the stoned buzz, so I've been trying to compromise and harvest a mid-point.

I think in future grows, I'm might try growing mostly sativas or sativa doms for me and the opposite for her.

Yeah I agree on the cerebral vs stony aspect. I think a lot of people that dont actually grow pot like the more stony buds because they think they are getting "higher". A lot of people I know dont like the Blue Cheese for this reason, its a very uplifting cerebral high where as the Nosebleed is a more stony high (very much couth lock drewl all over yourself kind of a high, lol.) So people usually think the Nosebleed is more potent but Im pretty sure the Blue cheese has more THC in it... it just has a different effect. You can hardly drive after smoking Nosebleed sometimes! Blue cheese if picked too early will make me paranoid and anxiouse (occasionally) which isnt fun but its good for mornings when you cant afford to be locked to the couch.
Anyhow my point being is that those of us who grow know the differance between a nice cerebral up sativa and a couchlock down Indica, and we smoke them accordingly. Where as people who dont grow their own smoke dont know much if anything about this difference and are almost always looking for the smoke that makes them feel more "stoned" or "couchlocked" and that will almost always be the more heavy hitting Indica or the later picked buds with higher concentrations of CBN and CBD. Atleast this has been my experience. Once again my two cents where it probably doesnt belong. Sorry about being off topic...again.
Looking awesome DGMGH!!! Love your journal!!

CMX, Greenisland, Setting Sun,

We all as growers seem to like an up high as opposed to the couchlock experience!! I wonder if that is because we are growers, as greenie pointed out, or if we are able to pick a smoke when we want?

Friends of mine here really enjoy a couchlock experience, which I find is OK every now and again, if watching movies, but I like you lot, love nothing better than a peaky up high. I just wish we all lived closer so we could get together and have a smoke!!!!!!

One day..............................

Grand Daddy Purple Leaf Day 60

GDP_leaf_day_58.JPG

Took this leaf off today to get greater penetration of light to the lower branches. The picture doesn't do the colouration in the leaf justice. Really dark green, purple hued and very Indica in appearance.

Have left this as the only plant within this grow I am yet to taste test, maybe Saturday.

Aww, did you measure that leaf in inches for us Americans?

Back
Top Bottom