InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

Yes - it changed to ‘conversations’ with the new website software :)

Speaking of which...has anyone else found that they can no longer start conversations w more than one person? :hmmmm: Used to be able to message to a group.

Yes, I was trying to start a conversation with you and Sue once after the upgrade and wasn't able to do it.

Highya ITS, Celt, guys,

I wanted to chime in on the lacto bacillus conversation. I used the serum sprayed on several large ladies during end of Sept, and Oct during botrytis season. I sprayed it on the leaves the day before a wet spell. I had much less bud rot last year then ever before. I talked to a lady hemp grower and she tried the same thing, with the same results! I'm hooked on it!
ITS - I'm glad you're having more time to do 420 mag and other enjoyable things! Happy Smokin'

"Powdery mildew, a fungal disease that is prevalent in warm, dry weather, is one of the most common and easily recognized plant diseases. Almost no type of plant is immune, however, some are more susceptible than others. Lilacs, crab apples, phlox, monarda, roses, grapes, squash, and cucumbers are all likely targets for powdery mildew. [And cannabis obviously]
Recognizing Powdery Mildew
As the name implies, powdery mildew looks like powdery splotches of white or gray that appear on the leaves and stems of plants. There are actually several types of powdery mildew fungi, but they all look basically the same on your plants. You may not notice a problem until the top surfaces of the leaves turn powdery, but powdery mildew often starts on the undersides of leaves and can also take hold on the stems, flowers, buds, and even the fruit."
Source

Hard to get rid of for plants in flower. In veg, neem oil works great for me.

Diatomaceous Earth:
"Diatomite is of value as an insecticide, because of its abrasive and physico-sorptive properties. The fine powder adsorbs lipids from the waxy outer layer of the exoskeletons of many species of insects; this layer acts as a barrier that resists the loss of water vapour from the insect's body. Damaging the layer increases the evaporation of water from their bodies, so that they dehydrate, often fatally."
Source

It only works when it's dry, so on or in the soil will work sometimes. It's also can be used as a spray when mixed with water and applied to the undersides of leaves - also in veg. When it dries the powder stays on the leaves and kills crawling insects. Don't use DE in flower as it's not good for the lungs.
My problem was I didn't have beneficial bacteria so I started floral sprays and problem is gone now

I'm watching palm springs tonight to

I had much less bud rot last year then ever before. I talked to a lady hemp grower and she tried the same thing, with the same results! I'm hooked on it!
ITS - I'm glad you're having more time to do 420 mag and other enjoyable things! Happy Smokin'
Thanks Bode! What works on botrytis might not work on PM though, as it didn't help my big Golden Tiger at all earlier this year with PM. What dilution were you using?
My problem was I didn't have beneficial bacteria so I started floral sprays and problem is gone now
I'm watching palm springs tonight to
Floral sprays of LABS? Enjoy the movie!

About 25:1, lol. Guesswork for me.

Thanks Bode! What works on botrytis might not work on PM though, as it didn't help my big Golden Tiger at all earlier this year with PM. What dilution were you using?

Floral sprays of LABS? Enjoy the movie!
Right now on my SS plants I use floralicious plus on them

Also, what is diatomaceous earth? I looked up the diatomaceous and it mentioned silica. Is that essentially what it is mixed with dirt or am I way off base? :battingeyelashes:

Diatomaceous Earth:
"Diatomite is of value as an insecticide, because of its abrasive and physico-sorptive properties. The fine powder adsorbs lipids from the waxy outer layer of the exoskeletons of many species of insects; this layer acts as a barrier that resists the loss of water vapour from the insect's body. Damaging the layer increases the evaporation of water from their bodies, so that they dehydrate, often fatally."
Source

It only works when it's dry, so on or in the soil will work sometimes. It's also can be used as a spray when mixed with water and applied to the undersides of leaves - also in veg. When it dries the powder stays on the leaves and kills crawling insects. Don't use DE in flower as it's not good for the lungs.

It can also facilitate an increase in silica uptake:

To explain the excess of Si uptake following DE application, our data suggest that the dissolution of clay minerals and quartz from DE also might have been involved.DE application not only contributed additional Si for improved plant growth but its specific texture also likely aided in improving the water retention locally and consequently improving the solubilization of Si and the nutrients. Addition of DE for improved crop yield offers an interesting application in good agreement with previous work. However, the chemistry and mineralogy of the soils and the DE used should be characterized in detail to document the mechanisms of Si and nutrient uptake.

About 25:1, lol. Guesswork for me.
I think I was at 20:1 but no effect on the PM.
Right now on my SS plants I use floralicious plus on them
Thanks Fast! Not sure what it is that that would help with PM...just another mystery of life.

"Ingredients: Vegetable protein hydrolysate and potassium sulphate
Also contains non-plant food ingredients:
2% Humic acids derived from micronized leonardite
20% Sea kelp derived from Ascophyllum nodosum"

I just met Roy :rofl:
:ciao:
It can also facilitate an increase in silica uptake:
To explain the excess of Si uptake following DE application, our data suggest that the dissolution of clay minerals and quartz from DE also might have been involved.DE application not only contributed additional Si for improved plant growth but its specific texture also likely aided in improving the water retention locally and consequently improving the solubilization of Si and the nutrients. Addition of DE for improved crop yield offers an interesting application in good agreement with previous work. However, the chemistry and mineralogy of the soils and the DE used should be characterized in detail to document the mechanisms of Si and nutrient uptake.
Thanks syenite! I know that @The Celt has mentioned that (and I've been adding DE to my waterings for the last few months), but I don't think the plants are taking up any silica from it. They're no more resistant to PM nor do the stems seem all that much stronger. Does it need to be food grade? Because mine is just Safer's, which is not.

Thanks syenite! I know that @The Celt has mentioned that (and I've been adding DE to my waterings for the last few months), but I don't think the plants are taking up any silica from it. They're no more resistant to PM nor do the stems seem all that much stronger. Does it need to be food grade? Because mine is just Safer's, which is not.

Yeah, I'm curious about this too. Unfortunately, as a relatively inexperienced grower, it's impossible for me to tell you from anecdotal experience whether the DE has strengthened the plant, made it more resistant or improved yield. But I did look at the product I have, and it is food-grade, with "up to 94% amorphous silica" (SiO2). The article I quoted from had registered 54.8% SiO2 in the DE they were experimenting with.

As always, there are also other variables such as (here we go again :laughtwo: ) soil pH and mineral composition that will affect the Si uptake.

Does the DE product you have indicate the proportion of amorphous silica/SiO2?

I can't get to the bag now but from looking at the label online it looks like it says:

Diatomaceous Earth* (including silcon dioxide and other oxides): 100%
*Amorphous silica

No idea if it's soluble though.

OK, good to know.

Hmm, if we were to retreat to simple experiments, a side-by-side with someone supplementing with Protekt for one plant clone and DE-amended soil for the other would be interesting.

That would be good! I tried to measure the solubility of it but ended up with too many variables: evaporation, water absorbed by the filter, etc. If I had an incredibly fine metal screen (like coffee filter size mesh) I might have had better luck.

I think you might actually get something out of this paper. It's actually not too long, as far as those things go!

Thanks Fast! Not sure what it is that that would help with PM...just another mystery of life.

"Ingredients: Vegetable protein hydrolysate and potassium sulphate
Also contains non-plant food ingredients:
2% Humic acids derived from micronized leonardite
20% Sea kelp derived from Ascophyllum nodosum"

:ciao:

My husband (Felonious Punk) used a milk solution on his outdoor plants and they haven't developed any PM.

Hello Shed (and everyone else).

I hope you are well today.

Felonious is growing in ProMix and stopped pHing his water about a week ago under the advice of @Amy Gardner and now the leaves on 2 of the 4 Hash Plants is yellowing. Any idea why?

I know my dog gives me funny looks when I change my clothes.

Don't know if this quote is from Shed's or yours Vg. But Ginza early learned that if mom or daddy changes pants is time for her walk and this is still a fact. So when we say moms or dads pants she knows. :)

Just checked I don't think I get it :confused: always looking for something worth of watching.

That's the sad thing with all these options in watching these days, when I grew up there was only two channels and no way of changing the program they had. Hate when I start looking for something to watch and end up scrolling through titles for hours.... Now days I almost only watch documentaries.

Started casting spells at them as well now, think you need to change book though to some black magic or voodoo instead. :laughtwo:

No idea if it's soluble though.

Could make it easier to solve with a different pH, sodium solves easier with lower pH.

Back
Top Bottom