InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

Carmen,

You'll need to pay attention to when the autos sprout as they usually start to flower around 3-4 weeks of age. I sprout them in solo cups and leave them there until the first signs of flower. When they have their second set of true leaves, I start feeding a low dose of nutrients (I am not organic) and increase it slightly until they have 3 sets of true leaves. Once they start showing signs of flower, I top as high as I can and transplant into a 3 gallon pot. I will start LST once the top two budsites have grown enough to pull down with pipe cleaners. Once the lower nodes have caught up with the top two colas I release them from the pipe clears and just let the plant grow. Hopefully that all makes sense. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Of course I forgot to check this morning while I was printing out the taxes!
That is exactly my problem. Not having enough mental space to remember I have jars that are open. Come back to find hay and sawdust.
I have no problem paying taxes. I feel like I get my money's worth. Freedom ain't free either. :)
My issues are with the way it is spent. That convo can get out of hand quickly from what I have seen here (site). So I'll steer very clear from that one.
I was given a CBD oil to try last year and I really didn't feel any effect at all. I've been somewhat skeptical until recent reviews from friends. So is it just the amount of CBD one ingests, anything to do with entourage effect or anything like that?
Something to remember with CBD and the Cannabinoids found in either type of plant is that often, we are running a deficiency of endocannabinoids in our bodies. So while you may have not "felt" anything, your body could have very well been healing and absorbing its medicinal purpose. For your body and mind, it could be different experience than mine. It could have been focusing on your mood or energy levels, whilst working on inflammation for me. Another important factor to consider is how other hormones and their levels can affect the utilization of cannabinoids.

Also, I was watching an interview with someone that mentioned we greatly underestimate the actual amount of cbd ingested or utilized needed to truly help our bodies. He highly criticized commercialized CBD manufacturers following the marketing trends and sticking to the unproven dosage parameters. You might buy a bottle of oil with 1,000 mg of CBD compounds and his argument was that that could be a fraction of what we could or need daily! :thedoubletake:

I wish I had that interview saved and linked. Unfortunately, not as organized as Shed when it comes to stuff like that.

Many people have enjoyed smoking cbd flower for its "buzz" but moreso for its positive mood altering effects. CBD is not something I take enough of. If all goes well, that will be changing soon.
Future Candida flowers developing!

Brilliant!
You might buy a bottle of oil with 1,000 mg of CBD compounds and his argument was that that could be a fraction of what we could or need daily!
That's the thing... I think but maybe mistaken, that a lotta hemp oil is really just having a placebo effect, but I am hearing reports of potent CBD products and I need to learn more how to separate the wheat from the chaff now that I am paying attention. Home grown must be great to have.

Carmen,

You'll need to pay attention to when the autos sprout as they usually start to flower around 3-4 weeks of age. I sprout them in solo cups and leave them there until the first signs of flower. When they have their second set of true leaves, I start feeding a low dose of nutrients (I am not organic) and increase it slightly until they have 3 sets of true leaves. Once they start showing signs of flower, I top as high as I can and transplant into a 3 gallon pot. I will start LST once the top two budsites have grown enough to pull down with pipe cleaners. Once the lower nodes have caught up with the top two colas I release them from the pipe clears and just let the plant grow. Hopefully that all makes sense.
:thanks: :love:
That is exactly my problem. Not having enough mental space to remember I have jars that are open. Come back to find hay and sawdust.
I almost never forget them once I've opened them since they burp on the dresser in my bedroom! I do sometimes forget to burp them at all though.
Something to remember with CBD and the Cannabinoids found in either type of plant is that often, we are running a deficiency of endocannabinoids in our bodies. So while you may have not "felt" anything, your body could have very well been healing and absorbing its medicinal purpose. For your body and mind, it could be different experience than mine. It could have been focusing on your mood or energy levels, whilst working on inflammation for me. Another important factor to consider is how other hormones and their levels can affect the utilization of cannabinoids.

Also, I was watching an interview with someone that mentioned we greatly underestimate the actual amount of cbd ingested or utilized needed to truly help our bodies. He highly criticized commercialized CBD manufacturers following the marketing trends and sticking to the unproven dosage parameters. You might buy a bottle of oil with 1,000 mg of CBD compounds and his argument was that that could be a fraction of what we could or need daily!
Good info, thanks for that Baked! Also, if you find a video on anything cannabis drop it in your thread so it's easier to find. That's of course assuming it's not sign-in restricted (since the mods take those down), in which case you can put the title of the video in which makes it easy to find with a search.
Many people have enjoyed smoking cbd flower for its "buzz" but moreso for its positive mood altering effects. CBD is not something I take enough of. If all goes well, that will be changing soon.
My wife (who has been suffering with a lot of nighttime anxiety lately), has been taking 2-3 hits of CBD flower when she wakes up, and she then goes back to sleep a lot faster than I do!

And you are going to have quite the CBD haul off that Candida. :thumb:
That's the thing... I think but maybe mistaken, that a lotta hemp oil is really just having a placebo effect, but I am hearing reports of potent CBD products and I need to learn more how to separate the wheat from the chaff now that I am paying attention. Home grown must be great to have.
Hemp oil is made from the seeds so keep that in mind when reading up on it. CBD oil is made from the flowers of either hemp plants or high CBD plants like Candida. Let us know what you find in your searches!

Carmen,

You'll need to pay attention to when the autos sprout as they usually start to flower around 3-4 weeks of age. I sprout them in solo cups and leave them there until the first signs of flower. When they have their second set of true leaves, I start feeding a low dose of nutrients (I am not organic) and increase it slightly until they have 3 sets of true leaves. Once they start showing signs of flower, I top as high as I can and transplant into a 3 gallon pot. I will start LST once the top two budsites have grown enough to pull down with pipe cleaners. Once the lower nodes have caught up with the top two colas I release them from the pipe clears and just let the plant grow. Hopefully that all makes sense. :cheesygrinsmiley:
Thank you Boo. I read this and thought I had replied... sorry. Are there any cons to topping our autos? How resilient are autos? Are they as tough as photos? I am a bit nervous with my first grow. Did you start topping right from the get go, or did it come with experience?

Yes indeed I will be.

Interesting, I didn't know that.

I was given a CBD oil to try last year and I really didn't feel any effect at all. I've been somewhat skeptical until recent reviews from friends. So is it just the amount of CBD one ingests, anything to do with entourage effect or anything like that?
Hi @InTheShed and @Carmen Ray - my experience with CBD has been the same as what you described. When I was still chained to the dispensaries I tried an eighth of some CBD strain that was like 18% CBD and 5% THC (something like that). It did nothing but taste like decent weed that didn't do a damn thing. I've also tried many of the mass produced (like BB and B type stuff, terrible) CBD creams and a few dispensary products along those lines. None of it seems to do anything. Not even really for my pain. (The topical creams I tried on some minor soup splatter burns seemed to help a little, but I think that was from the medium more than the CBD). As was noted earlier in the discussion, that doesn't necessarily mean it wasn't doing something positive, it just means I didn't feel shi-. Lol.

So I haven't been at all sold on CBD personally although I clearly see for some it's the bomb. However, last week a friend stopped by with something I had never seen and didn't even know existed: High CBD/High THC weed! This weed said on the label is was in the mid-20s in BOTH. I was quite skeptical, but it worked GREAT. It would be nice to know if the high level of CBD or possibly even the combination of both being relatively high was why it worked, or if it just got me stoned because of the THC.

This is a really interesting discussion and I think it sort of highlights something I try to remember about this plant, which is that there's just so much we DON'T know.

Thanks!

Thank you Boo. I read this and thought I had replied... sorry. Are there any cons to topping our autos? How resilient are autos? Are they as tough as photos? I am a bit nervous with my first grow. Did you start topping right from the get go, or did it come with experience?
One possible con to topping autos is that topping is high stress and may send the plant into flower early.
So I haven't been at all sold on CBD personally although I clearly see for some it's the bomb. However, last week a friend stopped by with something I had never seen and didn't even know existed: High CBD/High THC weed! This weed said on the label is was in the mid-20s in BOTH. I was quite skeptical, but it worked GREAT. It would be nice to know if the high level of CBD or possibly even the combination of both being relatively high was why it worked, or if it just got me stoned because of the THC.
When you say label, do you mean it was tested at 20% THC and 20% CBD, or that was what the breeder said would be in it? Most hybrid combo plants of both will vary wildly on CBD content depending on the pheno it turns out to be, which is why I never recommend growing mixed plants for medical use. Grow THC and grow CBD and combine them in a way that works for you.

If it was actually tested that way, then you were definitely responding to the THC. They say the weed we smoked in the 70s was probably 1:1 (before the CBD got bred out) and we got pretty high on that. Not as high as we did in the 80s though...

I do know that @Amy Gardner, who spends her life in a great deal of managed pain, has always said that she got the best relief from a 1:1 mix of THC and CBD, and she was an advocate of Candida for CBD, as am I.

One possible con to topping autos is that topping is high stress and may send the plant into flower early.

When you say label, do you mean it was tested at 20% THC and 20% CBD, or that was what the breeder said would be in it? Most hybrid combo plants of both will vary wildly on CBD content depending on the pheno it turns out to be, which is why I never recommend growing mixed plants for medical use. Grow THC and grow CBD and combine them in a way that works for you.

If it was actually tested that way, then you were definitely responding to the THC. They say the weed we smoked in the 70s was probably 1:1 (before the CBD got bred out) and we got pretty high on that. Not as high as we did in the 80s though...

I do know that @Amy Gardner, who spends her life in a great deal of managed pain, has always said that she got the best relief from a 1:1 mix of THC and CBD, and she was an advocate of Candida for CBD, as am I.
Interesting. Not sure on the answer to your question, it was a dispensary label and said THC: %, CBD: %. I didn't know the dispensary or anything further than that. But it would seem it was pretty close to 1:1. I would think any 1:1 will get me as high as the plain weed I grow if those 1s are both in the mid-20s, right? So I'd agree with you that I must have been responding to the THC.

Hi Carmen. I believe my first autos I left untouched - but only because I didn’t know what I was doing (first grow ever and I planted 8 seeds I think…oof!). My personal opinion is that there are only pros to topping. You are generally going to get about three or four nodes in by the time she starts to flower. I like to have as many nodes as possible (#ilovelarf…:cheesygrinsmiley:). Once in a while you are gonna get a dud auto and it will be a little tiny weirdo, it happens. But my personal thought, and there’s a little experience that goes with it now, is that the burst of growth that topping causes in an auto is usually significant. I’m thinking that is part of the reason that I tend to have larger ones more often than not.

Hi Carmen. I believe my first autos I left untouched - but only because I didn’t know what I was doing (first grow ever and I planted 8 seeds I think…oof!). My personal opinion is that there are only pros to topping. You are generally going to get about three or four nodes in by the time she starts to flower. I like to have as many nodes as possible (#ilovelarf…:cheesygrinsmiley:). Once in a while you are gonna get a dud auto and it will be a little tiny weirdo, it happens. But my personal thought, and there’s a little experience that goes with it now, is that the burst of growth that topping causes in an auto is usually significant. I’m thinking that is part of the reason that I tend to have larger ones more often than not.
That is true. It’s also why I never top my autos before they start to show flower. Only when I’m sure they’ve started flowing do I top and transplant.

Good info, thanks for that Baked! Also, if you find a video on anything cannabis drop it in your thread so it's easier to find. That's of course assuming it's not sign-in restricted (since the mods take those down), in which case you can put the title of the video in which makes it easy to find with a search.
Sounds good. I'll remember to do that. So if the site requires an age verification/restriction then those aren't allowed? I honestly need to go reread the guidelines again. Lol
This weed said on the label is was in the mid-20s in BOTH. I was quite skeptical, but it worked GREAT. It would be nice to know if the high level of CBD or possibly even the combination of both being relatively high was why it worked, or if it just got me stoned because of the THC.

This is a really interesting discussion and I think it sort of highlights something I try to remember about this plant, which is that there's just so much we DON'T know.
Without question, the higher the cannabinoids that are being utilized, the greater the medicinal effect you will receive. One thing to remember is that CBD can negate the psychoactive effects of THC.
which is why I never recommend growing mixed plants for medical use. Grow THC and grow CBD and combine them in a way that works for you.
Great point! I didn't really think of that or in that way. Makes sense.
I would think any 1:1 will get me as high as the plain weed I grow if those 1s are both in the mid-20s, right? So I'd agree with you that I must have been responding to the THC.
In most cases, you will build up a tolerance to the CBD and you'll start not feeling much, even with a 1:1. I think it all depends on the quality but I would tend to lean on the belief that you would not get as high with a 1:1 versus a mainly THC plant would get you. The CBD in the 1:1 should be holding back the THC intake. Just my thoughts on it.

I’m a converted CBD skeptic. When I first joined 420, I’d heard CBD was helpful for anxiety (which I have.) I was resistant to giving it a real try. I was too used to smoking = high, so I did not dig it. After a year or so, I finally gave it a real chance. Since then, there have been several times I was having panicky feelings or greened out, and smoking some Candida felt like it very quickly saved me.
As far as pain is concerned, I know CBD helps with inflammation, so I’d guess it depends on what kind of pain you have. Plus, as Baked said, different people have different effects. Amy always said it takes about a month of daily ingestion to really build up to the full benefit of cbd. That’s my CBD blurb! :)

@Carmen Ray

I top all my autos. Normally around day 21-28, around 5-6 nodes, after they show sex but before flowering starts. Can't say that I've ever seen it cause them to flower early. If anything I think it delays flower a bit.

@Carmen Ray

I top all my autos. Normally around day 21-28, around 5-6 nodes, after they show sex but before flowering starts. Can't say that I've ever seen it cause them to flower early. If anything I think it delays flower a bit.

I couldn't agree more. I also top WAY before flowering whenever possible. I don't understand the idea behind waiting until you see pistils to top. Seems counterproductive to me.

That is true. It’s also why I never top my autos before they start to show flower. Only when I’m sure they’ve started flowing do I top and transplant.
Thank you both for your views. I think I will have to feel my way through this process and ask for advice along the way. I feel I do want to try topping and training as I have done so successfully with photos. I'll call on ya when I think it might be ready for a topping if I may :)

Happy 420 everyone!!!

Thank you both for your views. I think I will have to feel my way through this process and ask for advice along the way. I feel I do want to try topping and training as I have done so successfully with photos. I'll call on ya when I think it might be ready for a topping if I may :)

Happy 420 everyone!!!
Hi @Carmen Ray - last thing to consider from me: one way you might try thinking about autos with respect to ANY aspect about them (except maybe not to up pot more than once if at all) is to think of an auto as EXACTLY THE SAME THING as a photo. The ONLY difference (obviously besides the light thing) is that you are sending it to flower after 25-35 days of veg. So one way is to just treat it as a photo that due to whatever reason you know ahead of time you have to flip after a month no matter what. If you had a photo you knew you were going to flip at day 30 would you top it? Would you train it? It is no different with autos in any way whatsoever. just my take on it.

Happy 420! Great discussion on topping an auto. That got me to thinking (I know……dangerous), which do you think would produce better results: topping or LST of an auto? I’ve done LST (following Shed’s tutorial) with great results. I’m wondering for those people who have done both what their results were.

Back
Top Bottom