InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

Just want to report new update on Legalization for medical Mary Jane here in N.C. It just pasted the senate and a couple more hoops and pretty sure we Will pass this time , I don't see chronic pain on the list witch would be me , but there is room for change ! I am Excited ! :yummy::hookah: North Carolina Senators Approve Medical Marijuana Legalization Bill In Committee I been watching this site for a LOOOOG time awaiting the day .

Just want to report new update on Legalization for medical Mary Jane here in N.C. It just pasted the senate and a couple more hoops and pretty sure we Will pass this time , I don't see chronic pain on the list witch would be me , but there is room for change ! I am Excited ! :yummy::hookah: North Carolina Senators Approve Medical Marijuana Legalization Bill In Committee I been watching this site for a LOOOOG time awaiting the day .
Fantastic news Smokes! You'll fit in somehow! ;);) About time!

Please, surround my backward ass state (TN) with legal states so that we have no choice but to do the same. Only in TN can the worlds largest distiller of whiskey be located in a dry county.

The rest of the process is dangerous and I plan to start using a still for the alcohol evaporation (additional recommendations on a cost effective still and more details on that process would be most welcome).
I use a still to make RSO/CCO. It's much safer than venting alcohol fumes in the open. The one I purchased is called the "Still Spirits Turbo Air Still". I paid $155 USD for it in 2019 and see it's currently selling for $189 USD. I'm sure anything similar will work fine. It does pay for itself, over time, since it allows you to re-capture about 80%-90% of the ethanol (which is expensive!) so it can be re-used later. Let me know if you have any specific questions. :goodluck:

EDIT: The reason you only re-capture about 80%-90% is that you don't want to have to scrape RSO out of the still, so it's best to stop the distillation before it runs dry and finish in a pan over a hot plate or some other safe method (NO exposed heating element). By that time, most of the alcohol has already been evaporated, so the risk is very minimal.

Please, surround my backward ass state (TN) with legal states so that we have no choice but to do the same. Only in TN can the worlds largest distiller of whiskey be located in a dry county.
You ought to be in Tx , we got it passed in two cities but the state is blocking us .

I use a still to make RSO/CCO. It's much safer than venting alcohol fumes in the open. The one I purchased is called the "Still Spirits Turbo Air Still". I paid $155 USD for it in 2019 and see it's currently selling for $189 USD. I'm sure anything similar will work fine. It does pay for itself, over time, since it allows you to re-capture about 80% of the ethanol (which is expensive!) so it can be re-used later. Let me know if you have any specific questions. :goodluck:

EDIT: The reason you only re-capture about 80% is that you don't want to have to scrape RSO out of the still, so it's best to stop the distillation before it runs dry and finish in a pan over a hot plate or some other safe method (NO exposed heating element). By that time, most of the alcohol has already been evaporated, so the risk is very minimal.
Good advice but to clarify what I think you mean in another way ā€œno open flamesā€ when working with alcohol with a low flash point, yes?

Nick & Co (Serious about Safety)

Good advice but clarify what I think you mean in another way ā€œno open flamesā€ when working with alcohol with a low flash point, yes?

Well, yes, but the danger is not just an open flame - it's any exposed heating element. Think of an electric stove with those spiral burners that get red when you turn on the stovetop. Those would be exposed heating elements and can cause the fumes to ignite. Best to use a hot plate where the heating element is internal. You can get a good hot plate for around $20, or so.

You ought to be in Tx , we got it passed in two cities but the state is blocking us .

Nashville decriminalized it. That lasted 3 days before the governor overruled it. Last year there was a bill proposed to put a question on the ballot to get residents feeling on legalization. Three choices, keep illegal, medical only, or medical and recreational. It wasn't even a vote to legalize, just an opinion pole. It was struck down in the state house. Our representatives are so paternalistic that they think they know more than their constituents. They don't even want to know what we think. Who are they really representing? Two house reps from the Memphis area have brought forth a legalization bill (HB0085 and sb0168) but I doubt it goes anywhere. Its been turned over to the criminal justice subcommittee.

Well, yes, but the danger is not just an open flame - it's any exposed heating element. Think of an electric stove with those spiral burners that get red when you turn on the stovetop. Those would be exposed heating elements and can cause the fumes to ignite. Best to use a hot plate where the heating element is internal. You can get a good hot plate for around $20, or so.
Yeah think anyone reading gets it now.

Be really careful.

šŸ¤£

But yeah its the flash point as it vaps off that a gas burner likes to ignite.

Naked coil would go second but no direct flame so second

Coil under a plate 3rd

Me, make myself? Induction hob I have, to cast iron pot with a bain marie setup (water bath)

But if there is a company thst makes a maxhine that makes it already?

Its so many high risk things. Alcohol, heat, Keep it simple, maybe?

Nick

Be really careful.

šŸ¤£

Coil under a plate 3rd

Me, make myself? Induction hob I have, to cast iron pot with a bain marie setup (water bath)

Nick
Induction burner would be fine, also, just a lot more $$$'s than a hotplate and can require a special pan. :thumb:

Don't believe it..lol. somebody/state please break the ice in the south.
Could lead to more taxes and other hand outs though, so careful for what you ask for..
:passitleft:

Wednesday greetings and the briefest of updates, and not even plant-related (though they're plugging away outside today until the clouds roll in this afternoon in for 3 days of rain...thanks Carcass!).

I got some really sweet 420magazine swag today for my MOTY win:

I'll feature the rest of the prizes as they arrive to show off the cool stuff our sponsors have for sale, so stay tuned for that!

And speaking of contests, don't forget they're run every month, so go check them all out and vote for what strikes your fancy.

Quotes galore, because my subs are the best:
Well that scrony little ALK has really became the Looker , I am surprised we don't have magnifiers like eBay
LOL thanks sb! Isn't there a magnifying glass if you click on an image?
Hey shed, taking your advice and checking out some journals. Your plants are lookin great! Just stopping by, totally read all 1581 pages of the journal so I'm all caught up ! Lol, got an email back from weed seeds express, my payment has processed. Can't wait to get my grow started when the beans arrive!
It's a quick read so thanks for catching up. ;)

I'm glad you got it all sorted with WSE and they really have some excellent genetics there. Can't think of a bad plant grown here from their beans.

And where are my manners... :welcome: to my perpetual journal! Stop by whenever you have a chance and see what's going on. šŸ‘€
Just want to report new update on Legalization for medical Mary Jane here in N.C. It just pasted the senate and a couple more hoops and pretty sure we Will pass this time , I don't see chronic pain on the list witch would be me , but there is room for change ! I am Excited ! North Carolina Senators Approve Medical Marijuana Legalization Bill In Committee I been watching this site for a LOOOOG time awaiting the day .
You're on your way sb! Just gotta find the right doctor:

"The measure, which will have two more Senate panel stops before potentially heading to the floor, would allow patients with qualifying conditions such as cancer, epilepsy, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and multiple sclerosis to possess and purchase cannabis from licensed dispensaries."
That JD was a great tour even if they couldn't hand out samples!
I use a still to make RSO/CCO. It's much safer than venting alcohol fumes in the open. The one I purchased is called the "Still Spirits Turbo Air Still". I paid $155 USD for it in 2019 and see it's currently selling for $189 USD. I'm sure anything similar will work fine. It does pay for itself, over time, since it allows you to re-capture about 80%-90% of the ethanol (which is expensive!) so it can be re-used later. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

EDIT: The reason you only re-capture about 80%-90% is that you don't want to have to scrape RSO out of the still, so it's best to stop the distillation before it runs dry and finish in a pan over a hot plate or some other safe method (NO exposed heating element). By that time, most of the alcohol has already been evaporated, so the risk is very minimal.
Thanks Mr Krip! I only used my temperature-gauge distiller outside in the courtyard. You never see old-timey pics of folks with stills indoors!
Oof, thanks Abbott!
Good advice but to clarify what I think you mean in another way ā€œno open flamesā€ when working with alcohol with a low flash point, yes?
:thanks:
Nashville decriminalized it. That lasted 3 days before the governor overruled it. Last year there was a bill proposed to put a question on the ballot to get residents feeling on legalization. Three choices, keep illegal, medical only, or medical and recreational. It wasn't even a vote to legalize, just an opinion pole. It was struck down in the state house. Our representatives are so paternalistic that they think they know more than their constituents. They don't even want to know what we think. Who are they really representing? Two house reps from the Memphis area have brought forth a legalization bill (HB0085 and sb0168) but I doubt it goes anywhere. Its been turned over to the criminal justice subcommittee.
Time to elect someone under the age of 60!
Be really careful.
Coil under a plate 3rd
Nick
Nick & Co...pushing safety across the globe. Thanks!
Induction burner would be fine, also, just a lot more $$$'s than a hotplate and can require a special pan.
True, but someway to recapture is definitely an improvement on any open air evaporation
Damn crazy laws > I think we just went 2nd stage Marijuana Moment - All your cannabis news, in one place Only good thing when they make up there MiNd its full steam a head LOL yea TN bout the same way hope things will change for ya'll sooon . Va got full rec and we don't want them to keep taking OuR $$$
Like farside said, once the area reaches critical mass they all start to fall in line. They will realize they're losing tax revenue to a someplace right over the border. Money talk even with the old crowd. :)
Illinois has recreational weed for a couple of years now and itā€™s GREAT!
California too, with better weather and the occasional earthquake. :thumb:
Don't believe it..lol. somebody/state please break the ice in the south.
Could lead to more taxes and other hand outs though, so careful for what you ask for..
They're always going to tax cannabis to justify the legalization, but as we discovered out here, if you tax it too high you don't get anywhere near the projected sales.

I use a still to make RSO/CCO. It's much safer than venting alcohol fumes in the open. The one I purchased is called the "Still Spirits Turbo Air Still". I paid $155 USD for it in 2019 and see it's currently selling for $189 USD. I'm sure anything similar will work fine. It does pay for itself, over time, since it allows you to re-capture about 80%-90% of the ethanol (which is expensive!) so it can be re-used later. Let me know if you have any specific questions. :goodluck:

Got any oil pics ? I Just made a batch. Extraction method?

Got any oil pics ? I Just made a batch. Extraction method?
I do an alcohol extraction. I haven't made any recently but you can see the double boiler technique I used early on in this post from 2016:

You can see the caps I used to make for my Dad (and, still make for me! ;) ) by mixing the RSO with a carrier oil (olive, coconut, grapeseed, etc.) here:

I still have a few syringes of RSO stashed but I'm not sure pics of that will help much! It looks pretty black when it's in the syringe but nice & golden when you see it spread out.

I'm glad you got it all sorted with WSE and they really have some excellent genetics there. Can't think of a bad plant grown here from their beans.

Farside05 raises hand. With the exception of my Non-Auto/Auto Northern Lights, aka S.S.T.P.U.O.T.F.A.S. It was a beastly plant, but it took 180 days which was not what I was looking for. When one grows an auto they're usually looking for a quicker turn around.

That JD was a great tour even if they couldn't hand out samples!

Our first guide was the best. Looked like he was straight out of the TV show Moonshiners. He had everybody leave the room while he locked back up the vat where they run it through the charcoal. I was the last one out and looked back and dude was huffing the vapors. I would venture to say that he does that every tour. So every 30 minutes or so he's huffing away.

They used to serve Lemonade (not the Tennessee type) after the tour. Last time I went, they quit that. They've also started tasting tours now. Not sure how they get around that. It does cost extra though. You can also buy bottles at the White Rabbit gift shop on site. They skirt the dry county rules there by offering "souvenir bottles" that you can't get anywhere else. They just happen to be full. It is a beautiful property. I also like the tour at George Dickel which is about 20 miles away and closer to the interstate. Drastic difference from Jack's. 29 guys run the whole operation, from making the charcoal to cutting the grass. Jack has more people than that just giving tours.

Farside05 raises hand. With the exception of my Non-Auto/Auto Northern Lights, aka S.S.T.P.U.O.T.F.A.S. It was a beastly plant, but it took 180 days which was not what I was looking for. When one grows an auto they're usually looking for a quicker turn around.
Still, a great plant! :cheesygrinsmiley:
Our first guide was the best. Looked like he was straight out of the TV show Moonshiners. He had everybody leave the room while he locked back up the vat where they run it through the charcoal. I was the last one out and looked back and dude was huffing the vapors. I would venture to say that he does that every tour. So every 30 minutes or so he's huffing away.
LOL that's what happens when you work at a distillery in a dry county. Great perk!
They used to serve Lemonade (not the Tennessee type) after the tour. Last time I went, they quit that. They've also started tasting tours now. Not sure how they get around that. It does cost extra though. You can also buy bottles at the White Rabbit gift shop on site. They skirt the dry county rules there by offering "souvenir bottles" that you can't get anywhere else. They just happen to be full. It is a beautiful property. I also like the tour at George Dickel which is about 20 miles away and closer to the interstate. Drastic difference from Jack's. 29 guys run the whole operation, from making the charcoal to cutting the grass. Jack has more people than that just giving tours.
I don't remember much about the tour (it was in 1988) other than it was a really impressive operation! It was the only distillery I toured that trip, but I also did Goodyear Tires, Amana Refrigerators, Nocona Boots, Cape Cod Potato Chips, Tabasco, and probably a few more I can't recall at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom