InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

3 (1).jpg
3 (2).jpg
3 (3).jpg

That looks about how Shed did it, quite textbook in my humblest of opinions....
Sorry the wife is re-watching Downton Abbey and I start speaking like a mid19th century commoner or something :ganjamon:

Looks like your cloning pretty well to me.
One clone does not make me a good cloner! I'd like to get to 50% to be happy.
Here's my take on it. Auto-flower is more touchy, so you have to pay closer attention to what you're doing. The only thing that matters when transplanting is that root development is enough that you don't break too many during extraction from the pot and you don't let them crazy circle. Err on the side of circle. Them circling is no big deal, run a knife down the sides in 5 or 6 places and new growth will emit in a day. Letting them dry out will make extraction easier, less risk. In the new pot, fill to desired level and slowly pour correct Ph water through to hydro-settle the dirt. You don't want run-off, that's how slow to soak it. For auto flower I'd let it be a little damper to aid quicker adaptation, for soil dryer to make them search more. Use the old pot as a mold for the hole you'll put the plant and use it's soil height to match the new pot. If there's a saucer built into the bottom remove it or account for the added height. Tamp moderately and add soil if needed. This is important, the plug will match the hole and be tamped so there's no air pockets or the like. Water just the old dirt a little as it's dry. Simple as that. If done right, the plant will never know it, never skip a beat. The soil is the engine, too small a pot a restrictor plate.

All in my experience, YMMV.
That looks about how Shed did it, quite textbook in my humblest of opinions....
Sorry the wife is re-watching Downton Abbey and I start speaking like a mid19th century commoner or something :ganjamon:
Har!
Did I reply to something I saw on the first page? Time for bed. o_O
LOL that's exactly how I did it Busted! Excellent advice though obviously :). Welcome to the pahty :thumb:.

Didn't make it to bed, ran through Jerry's Breakdown about 59 times though. Almost back under the piggies, couple more days.

I want to blame the forum, but I'm waiting for the head to clear a little more before final judgement. There's sumthin vewy skwewy goin' on awound here! Heh, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh!

Ok, I read the last couple of pages. I just went back three times and made sure I was reading the right page. I'm back.

Let's talk about plant roots and how they relate to a pot. In nature, a good rule of thumb with most plants is that what you see above ground is at least what's below in 3D, mirror image. Variables; Food/ water availability, topside environmental conditions, soil conditions and differing purposes for a start.

Some trees send tap roots 100' or more in search of water. Some have shallow topsoil on bedrock so they have to work laterally. Some grew in a stand and were protected from the wind so they don't need anchor roots. If you cut down the trees around it, it's the first to go in a storm. It doesn't have the structure. Some trees have to send out many, many feeders to find enough to support the plant. You get the picture.

Ok, the MJ plant is the same. Outside, this is the way it would behave, but in a pot, it's different. Soil is also a buffer in many ways. Here, the more dispersed the roots, the less susceptible they are to localized trauma both physical and mineral/chemical, etc. Hate to use the shotgun analogy, but it fits best. If you have 5 closely spaced targets, the shotgun will take out more, if not all with one shot. The further apart they get, the less percentage that take mortal wounds. With me?

Indoors, a MJ plant doesn't have tropical storms, doesn't have to hunt for afternoon tea and biscuit by breaking out the mining equipment, etc. Like animals being fed for slaughter, they get fat, flabby, develop diseases, you get the drift.

So, while it doesn't need all of that, the one thing it does need is a big enough straw to gullet enough of the stuff you're feeding it to let what's in the sunshine thrive. This is where root mass comes in, there has to be enough little straws pulling to keep the larger supplied right up the chain. Just like there are only so many receptors per area of leaf, so too little straws.

The more spread the roots, the easier to flush if you poison the soil with nutes and because it isn't in one mass, the effect is less. The more spread the roots, the more little straws.

Another thing is waste removal. Trash day isn't every week and toilets don't flush every day in root land, they have to wait for someone to pull the chain and hope it goes down.

This is what I mean by buffer, it protects you from yourself. Gives you a longer fuse, a little leeway.

Can you grow in small pots? Sure. Will there be enough straws to support the plant? Possibly. Given all that, wouldn't you rather err on the side of caution and have too much than not enough? Up to you, your garden.

Always remember, YMMV.

Quick word on nutes as they relate to root mass.

A plant shows a deficiency. You think you're giving ample, but you increase the dose. Condition worsens, you add more. Now new symptoms arise throwing another variable to the troubleshooting equation. You try flushing, it recovers a little but never fully recovers. Plant's calling for more steam, but the boiler in the basement doesn't have enough to support it. It's not that the food isn't there, there just aren't enough mouths to chew and swallow to keep the gullet fed. Add the wrong Ph water giving the little mouths an upset liver and....

Root mass during veg, plant mass during flower.

Good stuff. I may throw a couple autos in my tent a little later in this grow and just leave them in 1 gal pots. I’ll need them to stay small for space....if there is any. Back to stressing the roots of an auto....I know roots can grow through the mesh around a peat pellet, but do you think it slows them down at all? I have one auto going and it was starting to flower around day 22ish I believe. I started it in a peat pellet and transplanted into a 10 gallon pot. It hasn’t gotten very big. Now it was grown outside and not started until there was only 13hrs of direct sunlight. But I’ve just wondered along the way if it could have developed more if I had just planted directly in the soil.

One last part, sorry but I'm like a one legged Rhino in a stadium full of gag Sta-Lit campfires this weekend.

Now take a healthy plant. It starts asking the boilerman to feed her the licorice as the vegetation and flower has increased demand. Boiler dude sees the shovel dude ain't keeping up so he sends out feelers for more workers, but that's a sap-sucking job, takes even more energy and takes a long time. He's got plenty of room for feelers, not like they're tripping over themselves. All the while, instead of increasing the beans topside, it decreases the flow to continue the search. The longer it takes for the scales to balance, the less went topside. If the shovel dudes had been pre-deployed, they could have the supply chain in place and immediately opened the throttle when the pilot house piped down the request.

.I know roots can grow through the mesh around a peat pellet, but do you think it slows them down at all?

Exact opposite. Comfort does not drive root growth, the search for resources does, for one. Roots are like octopi ( :p ) they'll squeeze through tiny cracks and creavices. Then they go into car jack mode and lift sidewalks and curbing, crumble stone walls and ruin plumbing.

Good stuff. I may throw a couple autos in my tent a little later in this grow and just leave them in 1 gal pots. I’ll need them to stay small for space....if there is any. Back to stressing the roots of an auto....I know roots can grow through the mesh around a peat pellet, but do you think it slows them down at all? I have one auto going and it was starting to flower around day 22ish I believe. I started it in a peat pellet and transplanted into a 10 gallon pot. It hasn’t gotten very big. Now it was grown outside and not started until there was only 13hrs of direct sunlight. But I’ve just wondered along the way if it could have developed more if I had just planted directly in the soil.

Hey Magoo so I used jiffy pucks this time for my autos and didn’t seem to notice that they struggled with poking through. I have seen tutorial videos on other seedling starts from vegetable warehouses and they cut the jiffy housing off before inserting it into the soil. The problem I see with that is canabis has a strong tap root system unlike some vegetables so by the time roots come through and you want to transplant you can’t cut the mesh away because to many roots are through it holding it on. Thus I see no problem with jiffy’s giving seedlings any struggles with poking their beginning roots through!

Maybe I’m wrong but that’s my look at it!

I germinate and clone in the peat tabs. What I do is open the mesh on the top after they're rehydrated, tamp the peat down to fill the hole provided, poke my own hole and then sow or clone. I put them in a shallow dish and keep a little water in the bottom for 2 or 3 days to keep them saturated and so they draw from the bottom which promotes root growth, the plant senses it needs to grow down to find the reservoir the dampness is coming from. After that, I keep them pretty dry, again watering from the bottom, not top. Haven't lost one yet. I dome seeds until they sprout, never clones. YMMV

Back
Top Bottom