InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

Is that what folks call LABS? .
Yes!
@Emilya Has a great way of making Lactobaccilus. on your own so she may be helpful. I hear it smells really bad
Hey PC - a LABs should never smell really bad! If it smells fully bad then you should ditch it.
yes it does smell until the cheese forms lol

It can smell cheesy at times like The Celt mentions - but not bad.

Em also recommends adding molasses at the end - don’t do this! I’m not a big fan of molasses in growIng but the best way to keep the LABs is as pure whey (which is what it is really) and in the fridge.
Thanks PCa! Amy is my go-to ;).
:high-five:
DIY Lactobacillus Serum

I’d better check that link! It’s been a long time since I made any or looked at the tutorial...

FYI for folks. A lot of the DIY plant fertiliser stuff posted on this website comes from an original source that was known as The Unconventional Farmer - run by the Korean Natural farming guy Gil Carandang. That website disappeared a few years ago but someone recently reproduced it in full for a web archive and I posted a thread here that links to it - and will eventually copy the guides to the thread (Life got in the way of it, but I’ll get back to it).

Link to the archive thread is in my Sig - or here

Highya ITS,

Let me share with you what lactobacillus has done for me. Last year after midSeptember to midOctober (harvest) I sprayed all the plants with LAB just before rain comes (but still has time to dry) soaking all vegetation. I had very little botrytis as a result. In the past, I used to get 10 times the amount. I'm happy. Also, a lady commercial cbd producer does the same thing. She swears by it. I didn't get all the particulars from her, but I will this year. Cheers

I didn't measure, lol. About 5:1 water:LAB roughly. So a little stronger, lol. I'd make a batch and wouldn't use all of it during that month, so I decided to use more/spray to use it up. No harm anywhere. Just not frugal.

Or your own mix, somewhere in between. Joys of home gardening. Cheers

I can report from Sweden that CraZy is isolated with DooM eternal and it sounds terrific on my Cerwin Vega setup. :laughtwo:

Thank god I'm not essential any more at the water plant they are shitting bricks over there now. I think I just got an old decent cold but I'm staying indoors this weekend for start.

Will look through your updates Shed, stay healthy and care for your loved ones!

potassium silicate liquid blend
I've got Armor Si which is potassium silicate (no curdling needed). I'll give it a test! Thanks Smeegol.

Interesting study on potassium silicate and PM done here (if you believe in science I mean):
https://bsppjournals.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/j.1365-3059.2011.02518.x
Abstract:
The area under the disease progress curve was reduced by 65% and 73% in the foliar and root treatments, respectively, compared to control plants, as a consequence of reductions in infection efficiency, colony expansion rate, colony area, conidial production and disease progress rate. However, root application of PS was more effective than foliar application in reducing most of the epidemic components, except for infection efficiency. This can be explained by the high Si concentration in leaf tissues with root application, in contrast to the foliar treatment where Si was only deposited on the external leaf surfaces. The effects of PS reported in this study demonstrated that powdery mildew of melon can be controlled, and that the best results can be achieved when PS is supplied to the roots.

Interesting, because I don't use PS along with my MC, but @farside05 does!

----------------------------------

Friday shelter-in-place update! Cloudy at the moment but it was sunny earlier, so the plants are all outside for now. Staying with the powdery mildew discussion for a minute, I pulled the clone mothers out of the garage today (for the first time in a few days) and they were all getting PM, so I thought I would run a test of three products: neem oil, castille soap, and SAGFF.

At this point I can tell you that the castille soap dried first, the neem second, and the SAGFF took a long time. I can also tell you that the first two eliminated most visual signs of PM, where the SAGFF leaves look the same as before spraying. I will see how they look in the morning.

If the SAGFF plant is still covered I will spray it with potassium silicate and see how that does. For science!

How is she?
About the same, thanks for asking (day 15):

The two AF-47's (day 17) are close to level with each other in height now. Here are the spring three:

That's all I've got today. I'll get some pics of the GT and FP tomorrow so you can see how they look on flip day 19.
:peace: and stay healthy.

I've got Armor Si which is potassium silicate (no curdling needed). I'll give it a test! Thanks Smeegol.

Interesting study on potassium silicate and PM done here (if you believe in science I mean):
https://bsppjournals.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/j.1365-3059.2011.02518.x
Abstract:
The area under the disease progress curve was reduced by 65% and 73% in the foliar and root treatments, respectively, compared to control plants, as a consequence of reductions in infection efficiency, colony expansion rate, colony area, conidial production and disease progress rate. However, root application of PS was more effective than foliar application in reducing most of the epidemic components, except for infection efficiency. This can be explained by the high Si concentration in leaf tissues with root application, in contrast to the foliar treatment where Si was only deposited on the external leaf surfaces. The effects of PS reported in this study demonstrated that powdery mildew of melon can be controlled, and that the best results can be achieved when PS is supplied to the roots.

Interesting, because I don't use PS along with my MC, but @farside05 does!

Interesting, that may be why I have never had an issue with PM since the first year I grew. I add Diatomaceous Earth to my soils when making them. It is a “flowable” Si which means it is more bioavailable to plants than other forms of Si.

Back
Top Bottom