JCool09 Cabinet Hydro Caramelicious 9/2009

Well the nutes have kicked in and CAR1 has had a significant growth spurt since the last pic on Friday...

CAR1 10/02/09
IMG_13862.JPG

CAR1 10/5/09
IMG_1392.JPG

I was amazed. I did notice a small amount of burn on one of the first set of leaves at 2 o'clock on the photo above, perhaps from the foliar feed? I'm not concerned since the new growth is robust and significant.

The Roots Excelurator is doing it's job, the roots have also exploded.

CAR1 Roots 10/02/09
IMG_1377.JPG

The roots are in a shadow and the pic was taken w/o flash so there is the appearance of a brown tint on the roots, no worries at this point they are perfectly white and healthy.

CAR1 Roots 10/05/09
IMG_13961.JPG

New additions to the environment from the freebie seeds that popped on this past weekend.

UNK1 Day 3 - 10/05/09
IMG_13942.JPG

UNK2 Day 2 - 10/05/09
IMG_13952.JPG

Huge difference in roots within 3 days.looking good +reps

:thanks: for the +rep Budlover! How 'bout them roots? Crazy.

Looking good jcool, keep it up and these babies will stay healthy.

:thanks: Kwsmoke. Sometimes I have to keep myself from doing too much with them. I learned early in this journal (by shooting myself in the foot) that "you can't rush Mother Nature".

Great TLC jcool09 :clap: and it's showing! :allgood: Sorry what are the freebies,...UNK1 = ? TY

Yes, lot's of TLC sometimes too much! :yummy: I see we have a new Avatar (again). You appear to be a diehard 70's TV junkie...

Ok Sorry I got it.... Unknown one right? They sent no info on the freebies?

Yes, UNK = unknown. AMS does not provide any information on the free seeds they include with their orders. They have come in handy for germination practice though. If any of them are girls it will be a bonus.

:goodjob: brother grower :passitleft:

:thanks: Tunes! I appreciate your feedback.

hey you far to compicated for my brain lol your in good hands with tunes ...don t worry.......lookin good keep it green...........be lucky weedtastic

Hey Weedtastic, yes, I have been known to overcomplicate things. Thanks for sharing the info on your budrot problem.

: Kwsmoke. Sometimes I have to keep myself from doing too much with them. I learned early in this journal (by shooting myself in the foot) that "you can't rush Mother Nature".QUOTE]

You got that right! If someone were to ask me what lesson I learned from my first grow, I would have to say patience. It's a virtue, and so much more so with cannabis.

OK this update is based on pics and activites from yesterday 10/06/09.

Germination update
I have a new CAR plant that I will call CAR2. There was an existing CAR2 that had cotyledon but never grew any leaves. It is now gone along with 3 other CAR seeds and 1 UNK seed that did not germinate.

Now it's time for some humor at my expense. Here's a little snip from 09/26/09 where I am showing the "depth of my experience" with some "expert analysis" of my progress:

Germination update
So I am currently the proud papa of three babies in various stages of above-ground germination. I am confident that all three of these are going to survive.

Nice call, dumbass. OK enough beating myself up; this is a learning process. There are no other germinations planned so this will be the last germination update in this journal. With four viable plants the odds are in my favor to end up with at least one female. I have a 75% chance of having a CAR female but I will still need a little luck to achieve the purpose of this journal.

So my recent experiences with the UNK seeds were very helpful I was able to properly germinate another CAR plant in 4 days. Compare that with CAR1 that took 10 days and I had to literally cut away the STG cube to get the cotyledon exposed to the air. The new CAR2 came up like it had been doing push-ups underground- check out that trunk! I did give it a 2 ml squirt of the .25 solution from the bucket so there is a point in favor of starting nutes immediately.

Welcome CAR2! Day 1 - 10/06/09
IMG_14013.JPG

OK so you can tell by that image that I have discontinued using perlite in the netpots. It was just too messy and was contaminating the reservior. I have replaced the perlite in all of the netpots with Hydroton clay pebbles. I now have four viable plants (yes, I'm pretty sure now...) so I needed to build a four pot lid for the stage 1 bucket. Here is a group shot:

New DWC top, add Hydroton and labels
IMG_13971.JPG

Not much else to report. Here are individual shots of the other three plants:

UNK2 - Day 3 - 10/06/09
IMG_13994.JPG

UNK1 - Day 4 - 10/06/09
IMG_14021.JPG

CAR1 - Day 15 - 10/06/09
IMG_14001.JPG

Hi JCool, nice work on the cabinet, looks like a great piece of gear. Good luck with your carmelicious. Seen some bud pics of that strain almost look like candy.
+reps for the great work.

Hi JCool, nice work on the cabinet, looks like a great piece of gear. Good luck with your carmelicious. Seen some bud pics of that strain almost look like candy.
+reps for the great work.

:welcome: Mmmmick, good to hear from you. Thank you for reading my journal and posting your comments. I'm no where near as far along in my grow as you are but I will be looking to ScrOG once I transition to the flowering phase. The +rep is much appreciated.

With four viable plants the odds are in my favor to end up with at least one female. I have a 75% chance of having a CAR female but I will still need a little luck to achieve the purpose of this journal.

Geeking in to your journal with math support ;)

Your odds of at least one female are 15 in 16 not 3 in 4

2^4 = 16 (so two possibilities male or female and n=4) Take 1 away from the 15 because of the sole possibility of all makes (m, m, m, m)

3 in 4 are the odds of exactly one female

This is easier to illustrate with 2 plants. The odds of having at least one female from 2 plants is 75%

male male (no good)
female female (best)
female male (ok)
male female (ok)

: Kwsmoke. Sometimes I have to keep myself from doing too much with them. I learned early in this journal (by shooting myself in the foot) that "you can't rush Mother Nature".

You got that right! If someone were to ask me what lesson I learned from my first grow, I would have to say patience. It's a virtue, and so much more so with cannabis.

So true. And so clear to see in hindsight. I'm so much more patient now... ;)

Still like that bucket.

:goodjob:

Thanks, Boxpipe. As always it's a work in progress.

hi mate......QUOTE....luck to achieve the purpose of this journal.
I might not be able to give you pointers in hydro..........but i can give you luck heres a bag of my own special luck......those plants are all gonna be girls now .............be lucky weedtastic

Weedtastic, glad to have you back. I assumed you were a Brit but now I have a sneaky suspicion that you may be Irish. I will take all of the luck anyone is willing to send my way. :thanks: :thanks:

Geeking in to your journal with math support ;)

Thanks, Soniq. Of the four plants two are Carmelicious (CAR) and two are Unknown (UNK). I may have a 15/16 chance of one female but as you illustrated in your two plant example I am reduced to a 75% chance of having a CAR female. Producing any bud would be nice but "The Goal" is to stay true to the title of the thread with the Caramelicious strain. I really appreciate that you are following my journal. :thanks:

Good news first

The three youngest seedlings are all looking well.

CAR2 - Day 3 - 10/08/09
IMG_14062.JPG

UNK2 - Day 5 - 10/08/09
IMG_14053.JPG

UNK1 - Day 6 - 10/08/09
IMG_14083.JPG

This may be the last time I will be able to remove UNK1 from it's hole, roots were already difficult to get back in. They may fit better once they elongate and hang straight down. The root growth was different on this plant due to placement in the bubbler immediately after germination. By comparison CAR1 was six days old and had already poked a root out of the bottom before it went into the bubbler. All of the current CAR1 root development is from the bottom of the netpot.

IMG_14101.JPG

Now for the bad news

I have some burning on the oldest and largest leaves of CAR1. This started with the lowest set of leaves and at the tips of the biggest set several days ago. You can see in this and earlier pics how the tips of the biggest leaves were turned down. There were too many variables introduced at the same time to be 100% sure of what is happening but I believe that it is a combination of:

Lights lowered to approx. 6" for a day from 10/06/09 - 10/07/09
- Lights raised back to 12" yesterday morning after spread of burned area was noticed.

Foliar feeding. 3x on this plant 10/01/09 , 10/03/09, 10/06/09. Think that's too much...? It felt so good while I was doing it... Duhhh...
- Cut that sh*t out for now. Patience.....

Perlite had Miracle Gro in it. DOH! I found this out a couple of days after putting it on top of the netpots. I had rinsed it well but I was not 100% sure that it was all gone. I was not very concerned at first because I was not watering from the top so I thought that any small amounts of MG that remained in the perlite would be negligible.
- Removed perlite, flushed STG cubes with H20, installed Hydroton pebbles on 10/05/09.

I also verified and adjusted:

PH
- Was slightly low last night, adjusted back into range.

Nutrient solution
- PPM was 240 or .28 of full strength. No adjustments made.

CAR1 - Day 16 - 10/08/09
IMG_14091.JPG

Hopefully the burn will not spread any further; if it does I'm afraid I could lose the plant. The good news is that the burn is on the older growth which to me indicates past rather than current trauma. As always I would appreciate your thoughts and comments.

IMG_14091.JPG

Hopefully the burn will not spread any further; if it does I'm afraid I could lose the plant. The good news is that the burn is on the older growth which to me indicates past rather than current trauma. As always I would appreciate your thoughts and comments.

hi JCool good progress so far.
How often are you foliar feeding? I was poking thru Cervantes Grow Bible a while back and recall he recommended once every ten days for foliar feeding. One thing that might be helpful, he did suggest misting with water before feeding to help condition the leaves for feeding and again 30 minutes or so after feeding to help leaves absorb nutes that may have dried on the leaves rather than been absorbed.
Of course he was discussing mature plants but might be even more critical for tender seedlings. My personal choice is to spray heavily enough to rinse any residue 30 minutes after feeding.
Hope the burn goes no further. good luck

Back
Top Bottom