JimmieJ's First Grow - Closet - Soil - Bag Seed - CFLs

Shame it turned out to be male but as you said great experience and learning from it, im experimenting with clones atm as well, I like my widow and have no more seeds so hopefully it will work, need to get them in their own little pots soon mind

Man you got that right. The experience is priceless. I am still a beginner, but I now know enough to grow some bud! Now I'm going to practice and keep learning!

I was fortunate that my clones took off, it seemed like it was touch and go for a month but they really took hold and are thriving. I'm just debating whether to keep them off this journal and start a new one for the clones when this one is done, that's why I haven't posted updates of them.

Good luck on the widow clone! Only thing I can offer you is to put a dome over it if it wilts, and try to wean it off the dome little by little. If you don't need a dome, I bet you will have no problems.

:goodluck:

I don't know who told you that, but that is NOT TRUE. The reason you keep the tent dark is so the plants do not go back to vegetative state. Hermies are usually the result of stress, lack of nutes, or just plain old genetics.

I bet all of the above are factors in my nanner situation. I shut off the power strip to the lights one day while the girls were getting sunlight and forgot that timers need power to keep time... the lights didn't shut off on time that night and they didn't get their full 12 hours of dark. Strike one for Jimmie.

The nute situation? I was completely clueless about what they need, and still am in a lot of ways. Strike two.

Genetics? I got the seeds out of a bag. Genetics are completely unknown. Strike three - I should be out! But....

Stress? I am sure they have had plenty of stress too, from temps to watering, to being rootbound in too small of pots. Strike four.

The fact that I've only found one seed so far tells me that I am REALLY fortunate. I've made a lot of mistakes and am sure to make more, but super glad that I have some potent buds on the way! :lot-o-toke:

Another Chillin 1 update. She barely has any leaves left so trimming should be easy, ha! I'm seeing some darkening trichs, but not as many as I think it takes for couch lock, so she lives on. There are still fresh pistils. I can't get a good picture of the trichs with the USB microscope but will try again tomorrow. I sure wish I could tell the difference between clear and cloudy. I just can't tell the difference with the crude magnifiers that I have. I snagged another bud though. Now I know why people say that CFL lighting makes light, airy buds. They're definitely fluffy, but they're damn sticky too, so I'm happy, considering it's my first grow.
GEDC1965.JPG

As harvested, untrimmed
GEDC1957.JPG

When I found that this plant was a male, I stuffed it into the basement fridge so it would die and not make pollen. I've been really busy so I put it there so I could strip off the leaves at a later date, then try making butter or something with them. The plant looks exactly like the day I put it in there - it hasn't even wilted. It's intriguing. I haven't taken it out again to see if it will resume life because if it does, the pollen sacs could do whatever they do. I'm just curious now because I expected it to look dead and it looks anything but. A week in the fridge and this boy still looks better than he did two months ago!
GEDC1960.JPG

When I found that this plant was a male, I stuffed it into the basement fridge so it would die and not make pollen. I've been really busy so I put it there so I could strip off the leaves at a later date, then try making butter or something with them. The plant looks exactly like the day I put it in there - it hasn't even wilted. It's intriguing. I haven't taken it out again to see if it will resume life because if it does, the pollen sacs could do whatever they do. I'm just curious now because I expected it to look dead and it looks anything but. A week in the fridge and this boy still looks better than he did two months ago!
GEDC1960.JPG

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Well, any pollen that has matured is being well "preserved"!

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Well, any pollen that has matured is being well "preserved"!

Ha ha! I'll have to be extra careful when I handle him then, in case any pollen has matured. I haven't checked on him either, and I was just down there putting some pizzas in the freezer. Didn't even think about it, and I wasn't :tokin: either!

Here they are. It's really hard getting pics of the trichs with the usb microscope that I have. It keeps getting resin on the plastic lens, then when I try to focus, all I get is pics of the resin. I cleaned it with water so I don't scratch the plastic, but it still looks scratched... anyway... I can't tell any difference from the other day, but the buds are crunching with the dried up leaves still attached to them, so maybe I should harvest tomorrow no matter what, so I don't ruin what I have. I'll leave the little buds that are still making pistils though. I also want the seed that's growing on it to be fully mature. It's turning brown now. :thumb:

0518_1.jpg
0518-9.jpg
0518-8.jpg
0518-7.jpg
0518-6.jpg
0518-5.jpg
0518-4.jpg
0518-3.jpg
0518-2.jpg
0518-11.jpg

Very very very close. As Rad said, today could be the day!

BTW, you did better than most on your trichome pictures for a new guy!!!!

+reps for that and your about to harvest-ness!

Thanks Canna - it's not easy getting those pics! Everything is moving, shaking, changing constantly, and the "capture" button on the microscope doesn't work, I have to click the keyboard while trying to hold it steady.

Thanks Canna - it's not easy getting those pics! Everything is moving, shaking, changing constantly, and the "capture" button on the microscope doesn't work, I have to click the keyboard while trying to hold it steady.

I know exactly what you mean. I duct taped my microscope base to an old plastic cutting board to keep it steady, then instead of moving the camera/scope, I move the bud while watching the monitor for the area I want. Wait a few seconds for it to settle, and hit the keyboard. I think hitting the button on the microscope just causes motion blur anyway. ;-)

Back
Top Bottom