Jon's First Outdoor Grow: Sugar Breath Photoperiod & Strawberry Banana Autoflower

Thanks @BakedARea, and guess what? After I took those pics I went out back to go fishing and try out my new lure, a LIVE TARGET Golden Shiner with two treble hooks. I toss this thing out and within seconds I got the biggest hit of my life, by far. I hit back and got him, and this thing jumped out of the water completely 2X while I was bringing him in. Then he made a dash for the reeds at the shoreline and I got him. He's about four pounds. Helluva largemouth and that'll keep me high all day at least!

So some of the pics are small, but you get the idea, and the pic with my dog is for scale. Dog weighs 11 pounds.

SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!
Here is @Sunnyskies fishing photos, great catch .
Awesome Apple Blossom

Here is @Sunnyskies fishing photos, great catch .
Awesome Apple Blossom
WHOA. He caught that on a HAND LINE?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I can't even imagine the fight. Even for a fairly big dude. I'll take the fish for the first half hour at least. Lmao!!!

Thanks! That was awesome.

Wednesday Random Interesting Thing?
Fun with Light and Spectrum

I was looking around at some lights, and comparing spectrum charts, and I found the spectrum chart (finally!) for my non-sponsored big boy light in the 5x5. I got to thinking about the @NextLight 420h and it's spectrum. So I downloaded both images, took out the identifying info on the 5x5 light, and here they are for your perusal.

The NextLight incorporates much more of the middle/greens, obviously. And far fewer in the red spectrum. These are the two things that immediately stick out to me the most.

With my limited understanding of light/spectrum, this would lead me to believe that the NextLight might be a better veg light. I'd have to do a side by side and all that, but my understanding is that in veg the plants benefit from more of this part of the spectrum. Not sure if I'm correct, but it's a significant difference.

The reds in my tent light vs. lack of them on the NextLight would seem to indicate that my tent light might be a better flowering light, as reds are the thing in flower. Based on how well the 420h does in flower I was surprised to see the level of difference in reds between the two. I will say my tent light produces frostier buds. The current Apple Blossom will be a good test on the density comparison scale, as I know what my tent light does but this is the first photo I will have flowered under the 420h.

All this makes me wonder how the NextLight MEGA would do in my 5x5 vs my light. Very very well I would guess. I believe @Emilya is rocking this puppy.

Here are the two spectrums, first the 420h then my 5x5 light.

Anyone who might have any sort of commentary on this whatsoever, please share!!! Thanks!!!

NextLight 420h spectrum.png

Spectrum of my good light.png

Wednesday Random Interesting Thing?
Fun with Light and Spectrum

I was looking around at some lights, and comparing spectrum charts, and I found the spectrum chart (finally!) for my non-sponsored big boy light in the 5x5. I got to thinking about the @NextLight 420h and it's spectrum. So I downloaded both images, took out the identifying info on the 5x5 light, and here they are for your perusal.

The NextLight incorporates much more of the middle/greens, obviously. And far fewer in the red spectrum. These are the two things that immediately stick out to me the most.

With my limited understanding of light/spectrum, this would lead me to believe that the NextLight might be a better veg light. I'd have to do a side by side and all that, but my understanding is that in veg the plants benefit from more of this part of the spectrum. Not sure if I'm correct, but it's a significant difference.

The reds in my tent light vs. lack of them on the NextLight would seem to indicate that my tent light might be a better flowering light, as reds are the thing in flower. Based on how well the 420h does in flower I was surprised to see the level of difference in reds between the two. I will say my tent light produces frostier buds. The current Apple Blossom will be a good test on the density comparison scale, as I know what my tent light does but this is the first photo I will have flowered under the 420h.

All this makes me wonder how the NextLight MEGA would do in my 5x5 vs my light. Very very well I would guess. I believe @Emilya is rocking this puppy.

Here are the two spectrums, first the 420h then my 5x5 light.

Anyone who might have any sort of commentary on this whatsoever, please share!!! Thanks!!!

NextLight 420h spectrum.png

Spectrum of my good light.png

Don't forget now. They spend more time in flowering than veg also . I would go with the more red. Spectrum light. Cause they do spend way more days in flowering alot of time.. I only veg 35 45 days. And flowering most time 60-70

Don't forget now. They spend more time in flowering than veg also . I would go with the more red. Spectrum light. Cause they do spend way more days in flowering alot of time.. I only veg 35 45 days. And flowering most time 60-70
Thanks Dust. I never flower before 60 days in veg, often more. My grows are more like 50/50 veg time to flower time.

Apple Blossom
Flower Day 49

These buds are fattening up sweetly. Hey @InTheShed, we were talking about getting or not getting that late secondary shower of pistils on our buds? Or sometimes even a third? The buds on this plant, at this point, (and maybe from the pics you can see if you agree?), I believe are pretty much done. I think all they'll do now for the next however many days is continue to tighten and fatten, and look more like finished buds. I don't *think* there's another pistil shower coming. I say that based on two things mainly, one, how they look and my experience with these secondary showers, and two, the fact that they're *supposed* to be a 45 day flower so we're getting close in theory. I have gotten them before when the buds were this "finished" looking, but I see no signs of that here.

So today is day 49. I took some trichome shots, and we're still not all white, about 60/40 white to clear, and actually a couple rogue ambers here and there. My trich shots suck, so I won't subject you to them. But suffice it to say based on them, and how the buds look now, I'm thinking somewhere in the neighborhood of five/six/seven days? I don't believe she'll make it to 60 days or I'll be over my amber preference, but we'll see. 60 days would make it the same time in flower as she spent in veg.

Please enjoy a couple bud shots and a closeup. She's pretty darn frosty, and pretty darn doesn't begin to describe her stank. I call the last picture "Damn Dog Hair."

3 9 bud 2.jpg

3 9 bud 1.jpg

Damn Dog Hair.jpg

Morning Jon! Looking at the charts the big diff seems to be between 600 - 670nm plus I guess that's showing more IR at the end for yours? Most light spectrums I've seen on Amazon most closely resemble the first chart, including the ones I bought. If you look at all the reviews and accompanying pics they obviously work well or there are zillions of fake reviews. I dunno. I'm going to continue to supplement with those 9w reds in flower but I'm not convinced I need them. Since I'm growing 2 lsd's if I remember I won't use the 9w's on one of them and see if there's any difference. If not I'm still not sure what that means, because it's hard to judge what, if any, impact the 9w's have. Hopefully there will be a noticeable difference so we can learn something.

Sour Apple continues to shine, she's beautiful. Have a great day!

Morning Jon! Looking at the charts the big diff seems to be between 600 - 670nm plus I guess that's showing more IR at the end for yours? Most light spectrums I've seen on Amazon most closely resemble the first chart, including the ones I bought. If you look at all the reviews and accompanying pics they obviously work well or there are zillions of fake reviews. I dunno. I'm going to continue to supplement with those 9w reds in flower but I'm not convinced I need them. Since I'm growing 2 lsd's if I remember I won't use the 9w's on one of them and see if there's any difference. If not I'm still not sure what that means, because it's hard to judge what, if any, impact the 9w's have. Hopefully there will be a noticeable difference so we can learn something.

Sour Apple continues to shine, she's beautiful. Have a great day!
Thanks BK! I wasn't making or drawing any conclusions as much as thinking out loud and trying to invite discussion. It'll be interesting to see what happens with yours. Apple Blossom, btw - Sour Apple was a few grows back. Lol!

CJS Apple Blossom
Flower Day 30

I know I haven't posted about this plant in a while, but at the 30 day mark I decided to bite the bullet and maybe post a picture or two. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

One month into flower today. Checked out her environment this morning carefully. Decided to try my dehumidifier. I'll cover the little green light, that's simple. Wanted to see if it would have any measurable impact.

Indeed it does. This unit doesn't do much in my 5x5x9, but in this little 3x3x6,5 it has significant impact. Like 12-18 points improvement!!!! The pictures show the measurements right now, at 7:45 am or so here, and at the moment it's completely foggy outside as it is every morning until about 8:30. As a result, the humidity from approximately 4/5 am til about 9 am gets higher than I like, around 68-70% or even 75 sometimes. That's obviously too high for too long (imho), so I decided to clean up the unit and just see. You can see what I have going on right now. This is WAY better and in the acceptable range for that amount of time. Once the fog lifts she'll be in the mid to high 30's to mid 40's for the lion's share of her day and night. Both pleased and surprised that the unit is performing this way. To get an even better idea of how effective it would be, and also to display something we hear so much about, I put in a second temp/rh sensor down low. You can see that there really is a large difference in environment between below and above the canopy, just as advertised. Something to be mindful of for me.

I also checked out the foliage. I really don't feel the need to take a single leaf off this plant. All the buds are getting tons of light to a really good depth. I can easily accomplish what I want with tucking for the most part. I took one leaf today that was blocking a bud and couldn't be tucked. One. Heh. I'm going for the "keep every possible leaf on the plant for as long as possible without compromising the buds" approach on this one. I feel up to this point, between the extreme temperature swings I'd been using to bring out colors and the over defoliation I believe I've been doing relative to fan leaves, I have been compromising my buds no matter what they may look like.

So this time we keep the leaves and this time the temp swing between night and day is only around 5-8 degrees. Between that, the (for me) extra undercarriage defoliation and taking of flarfy branches, and the improved space between all the buds, I believe this plant will produce a much better end product.

And I have 100% resisted the stupid, insane urge I always have to want to add stuff to a system. Not with these @Prescription Blend nutes. I couldn't possibly improve on where she is right now no matter what I were to add. Simply not necessary. I can't find a spot on the whole plant that says I need something anywhere. Spectacular nutes. These will undoubtedly lead the way in the upcoming tent grow.

So these first two pictures are the environment above and below the canopy, and yes, the sensor is sitting on dry dirt. See how big the difference is? (Ignore the 'all time' readings, lol)

And here's a picture showing the fan/sensor game I have going on with this plant. There's a third small white fan you can't see in the frame in the lower left.

This is the closest I can get to an overhead of the entire plant and still keep the frame large for the end result.

And these last two pictures attempt to show the lower buds getting plenty of light I was referring to.

One month in we're in pretty good shape. But I SERIOUSLY doubt this plant will harvest in 15 more days as advertised. :thedoubletake::thedoubletake::thedoubletake::thedoubletake::thedoubletake::thedoubletake:
That their brick stacking has me clinching with some aggressive paranoia my friend! :thedoubletake: Nice plants I'm still searching for your Slurricane!

Lol! The bricks are solid, I promise. The reason you can't find it is that I'm an idiot. It's in here: Jon's New Pared Down Setup Soil Grow: 3 Photo & 1 Auto With New Dedicated Auto Rig. My bad, sorry.

Here's a picture of her from page 45 of that journal when she was close to harvest.
1646859952649.png
Dang yours defiantly has some purple leaves !! The pheno I'm working with defiantly throws out some purple almost black leaves! When you go to harvest are your hairs a mix with some white!? I'm about to harvest another one in the coming days! Here is a pic of her now!

20220309_081146.jpg

Dang yours defiantly has some purple leaves !! The pheno I'm working with defiantly throws out some purple almost black leaves! When you go to harvest are your hairs a mix with some white!? I'm about to harvest another one in the coming days! Here is a pic of her now!

20220309_081146.jpg
Thanks! Nice looking buds yourself! Mine got that colorful (i think) ONLY because I really let the temps get low for the last four or five weeks of flower. Like, 55-58 degrees overnight low. So all the plants got real colorful, especially this one. Those really were her colors, I loved it. Thing about that is, it also makes a lot of your large fan leaves die off sooner than they would otherwise, which can compromise your final fattening, which I definitely don't want to do, that's when it all happens. So I have discontinued that practice with the Apple Blossom in this grow, and you can see how she's green and fading gently to yellow, no crazy colors. But I have all her leaves, heh.

To answer your question, if I have white pistils, generally, to me it's not ready. Unless it's just a rogue pistil patch at the end or something. They'll turn color if you wait. Your bud here for example: imho, she's not ready yet. See how you have white hairs pretty much still all over and most of your colorful hairs are sticking out of the bud? That, to me, says too early, regardless of trichomes. The hairs will coalesce into the bud and become a part of it, and in their final fattening up (generally the last two weeks of flower) you will see the bud become much more "finished" looking. I would say your bud here is in the start of the final fattening up and I suspect you'll see her get bulkier, denser, and looking more "finished" over the next week to ten days. You have sweet buds, if I'm correct they're going to finish incredibly well cuz they look real strong right now. Great work by you.

Thanks! Nice looking buds yourself! Mine got that colorful (i think) ONLY because I really let the temps get low for the last four or five weeks of flower. Like, 55-58 degrees overnight low. So all the plants got real colorful, especially this one. Those really were her colors, I loved it. Thing about that is, it also makes a lot of your large fan leaves die off sooner than they would otherwise, which can compromise your final fattening, which I definitely don't want to do, that's when it all happens. So I have discontinued that practice with the Apple Blossom in this grow, and you can see how she's green and fading gently to yellow, no crazy colors. But I have all her leaves, heh.

To answer your question, if I have white pistils, generally, to me it's not ready. Unless it's just a rogue pistil patch at the end or something. They'll turn color if you wait. Your bud here for example: imho, she's not ready yet. See how you have white hairs pretty much still all over and most of your colorful hairs are sticking out of the bud? That, to me, says too early, regardless of trichomes. The hairs will coalesce into the bud and become a part of it, and in their final fattening up (generally the last two weeks of flower) you will see the bud become much more "finished" looking. I would say your bud here is in the start of the final fattening up and I suspect you'll see her get bulkier, denser, and looking more "finished" over the next week to ten days. You have sweet buds, if I'm correct they're going to finish incredibly well cuz they look real strong right now. Great work by you.
That makes since on the lower night temps! see I used to grow this strain in a decent sized room which I was able to control the night time temps much easier, but lately I've been growing in tents which now makes a light go off in my head :idea: that's been my colorful issues I've been noticing then!!! I was still able to get the temps down in the tent but I'm sacrificing the use of my carbon filter doing this lol! tent closed no odors but as soon as I crack that sun of a B open my house smells like a sweet skunk just let one loose! I totally agree with you on the way the pistils should be once ready to harvest! I went to a dispensary in my neck of woods recently and asked to look at slurricane and the buds had white hairs in the mix which was a shock because it made me look at how I've been letting the pistils go fully color and wondering if I've been letting mine go too long. Let me also add in I didn't see any signs of new pistils in their buds that would indicate new growth on growth. But then again, this strain is so uplifting and helps with pain at the same time I've harvested at 52 days a few times then at 54 another then let it go to 60 which defiantly helped with the weight and density in the final product no dought! Thanks for the info brother much appreciated!

That makes since on the lower night temps! see I used to grow this strain in a decent sized room which I was able to control the night time temps much easier, but lately I've been growing in tents which now makes a light go off in my head :idea: that's been my colorful issues I've been noticing then!!! I was still able to get the temps down in the tent but I'm sacrificing the use of my carbon filter doing this lol! tent closed no odors but as soon as I crack that sun of a B open my house smells like a sweet skunk just let one loose! I totally agree with you on the way the pistils should be once ready to harvest! I went to a dispensary in my neck of woods recently and asked to look at slurricane and the buds had white hairs in the mix which was a shock because it made me look at how I've been letting the pistils go fully color and wondering if I've been letting mine go too long. Let me also add in I didn't see any signs of new pistils in their buds that would indicate new growth on growth. But then again, this strain is so uplifting and helps with pain at the same time I've harvested at 52 days a few times then at 54 another then let it go to 60 which defiantly helped with the weight and density in the final product no dought! Thanks for the info brother much appreciated!
No sweat man, hope it's helpful. I guess there are some buds that finish with white pistils, just cuz I haven't seen it don't mean it doesn't exist, lol. I have seen a pure white bud before, and not from light burn. In this forum I believe a long time ago. Maybe they were trichome rivers? I confuse those with white finished pistils once in a while. But wow, that must have looked cool actually. So you've grown this strain a number of times, eh? Are you working off a mom or starting from seed each time? If seed, what genetics are you using? This plant seed came from Greenpoint Seeds, which is a US company that specializes in purple cross indicas. They're really good at them and every strain in their catalog I believe is a purple punch or some other purple strain cross. Just fyi.

No sweat man, hope it's helpful. I guess there are some buds that finish with white pistils, just cuz I haven't seen it don't mean it doesn't exist, lol. I have seen a pure white bud before, and not from light burn. In this forum I believe a long time ago. Maybe they were trichome rivers? I confuse those with white finished pistils once in a while. But wow, that must have looked cool actually. So you've grown this strain a number of times, eh? Are you working off a mom or starting from seed each time? If seed, what genetics are you using? This plant seed came from Greenpoint Seeds, which is a US company that specializes in purple cross indicas. They're really good at them and every strain in their catalog I believe is a purple punch or some other purple strain cross. Just fyi.
I've had some light burn before using LEDS that didn't fit the room very well. That's part of the reason I shut that room down until I decide to upgrade to a better light that can use the space a little more even with light distribution. What page out of the 104 show cases that pure white bud? Ill check it out and compare to some of the bud growing situations I've encountered to see if they compare.
yes, I've grown this strain quite a few runs now because to be honest it works for my needs like a rabbits foot charm. Best cannabis I've toked on since the old diesel I would get back in the day! Here is a question for the enthusiast alike! I've heard your not supposed to clone a mother over and over and they start to degrade with time if you do so? But I have a feeling the reason some cant successfully keep the same characteristic's from the original seed mom is because they aren't keeping up with the health of the plant before taking cuts to start another mom as a clone. So far nothings changed so I'm starting to think that's not 100% true. I was able to cause stress to produce a large amount of seeds from the original seed mother I had, but I'm just now experimenting with them seeds and cant and wont let the mother die until I find a match or at least similar to begin a new mom from seed. And on the genetics question lol the seeds came from the street market that did not have a name to go with so that is why I am very intrigued to know the lineage of this strain. I'm that weirdo that used to get excited like a turd in a toilet when I found a seed in my weed as a kid and always kept them so I know it cant be from that ancient stored away bag of seeds due to how new this hybrid seems in todays market! And I defiantly did not have this good of Quilty cannabis back in them days id have to admit! Ill have to look into Greenpoint seeds now that you mentioned it, but I'm such a cheap ass if Rob/420 didn't hold that girl scout cookies comparison grow a little while back I never would have experimented with any seed company like I did!

I've had some light burn before using LEDS that didn't fit the room very well. That's part of the reason I shut that room down until I decide to upgrade to a better light that can use the space a little more even with light distribution. What page out of the 104 show cases that pure white bud? Ill check it out and compare to some of the bud growing situations I've encountered to see if they compare.
yes, I've grown this strain quite a few runs now because to be honest it works for my needs like a rabbits foot charm. Best cannabis I've toked on since the old diesel I would get back in the day! Here is a question for the enthusiast alike! I've heard your not supposed to clone a mother over and over and they start to degrade with time if you do so? But I have a feeling the reason some cant successfully keep the same characteristic's from the original seed mom is because they aren't keeping up with the health of the plant before taking cuts to start another mom as a clone. So far nothings changed so I'm starting to think that's not 100% true. I was able to cause stress to produce a large amount of seeds from the original seed mother I had, but I'm just now experimenting with them seeds and cant and wont let the mother die until I find a match or at least similar to begin a new mom from seed. And on the genetics question lol the seeds came from the street market that did not have a name to go with so that is why I am very intrigued to know the lineage of this strain. I'm that weirdo that used to get excited like a turd in a toilet when I found a seed in my weed as a kid and always kept them so I know it cant be from that ancient stored away bag of seeds due to how new this hybrid seems in todays market! And I defiantly did not have this good of Quilty cannabis back in them days id have to admit! Ill have to look into Greenpoint seeds now that you mentioned it, but I'm such a cheap ass if Rob/420 didn't hold that girl scout cookies comparison grow a little while back I never would have experimented with any seed company like I did!
The pure white bud was a gigantic bud I saw when I first joined the site and was just looking around with no clue what I was looking at yet. I honestly have no idea where it was, but I'm certain I saw it here. It was the only white bud I've ever seen so I remember it well.

Yeah, it's a different game today with genetics.

I honestly am not the person to ask about clones/mother plants. I haven't done that, and don't have a clue. Shed keeps them I know. So do many others. They'll hook you up.

I know, seeds are damn expensive aren't they? Cheapskate or not, sometimes close to $20/seed with shipping and all? Jeesh!

Morning Jon! Sorry to mix up my apples lol! Have you grown Mimosa Lemon from Expert Seeds? Somehow I wrote that name in my notes and I think I got it from you. Maybe they always do this, when I went to their site they're offering to match your order with freebies. So I ordered 3 packs of Mimosa Lemon, Blueberry Glue & Red Super Skunk autos, and got 6 of each. So for $88 I got 18 seeds which is less than $5 each. Hopefully it's all great smoke. I think it will take me about 5 years at this rate to grow everything lol! You're officially a bad influence:ganjamon:

Back
Top Bottom