Late Outdoor Coastal Progress Journal 4 Strains

75 windy & sunny, coco-girls enjoying the sun today, they "sleep" in my makeshift cfl-tent at night.
P105_2.jpg

whatta ya think Les?

Enhanced Electronic Black Light MOTH Zapper

By Allen Dong, I-Tech, P.O. Box 413, Veneta, OR 97487
Home page
Public Domain, no copyright, November 25, 2000

High voltage electronic black light bug zappers use a fluorescent black light to attract insects and a high voltage wire grid to kill them when they approach the light. The effectiveness of the bug zapper can be enhanced by

* Placing the bug zapper on top of a large sheet of paper coated with sticky paste,

* Attaching a pheromone lure on the bug zapper.

Experiment
To control the grain moth population inside a grain storage shed, a 15-watt "Stinger" bug zapper (model UV 15) was installed. The bug zapper was set on top of a 20 x 30 inch paper coated with a sticky paste ("Stickem", available from Peaceful Valley Farm Supply Garden Tools | Organic Seeds | Organic Fertilizer | Garden Supplies | Organic Gardening Supplies , or Planet Natural Organic Gardening Since 1991 | Planet Natural Garden Supply ). A grain moth pheromone lure (The Pantry Pest Trap from "SureFire", also available from Peaceful Valley Farm Supply and Planet Natural) was attached on top of the bug zapper. The number of moths trapped using the bug zapper plus sticky paper and pheromone method (A) was compared with the bug zapper alone (B), bug zapper plus sticky paper (C), and pheromone with sticky paper (D). The bug zapper was turned on during the peak moth activity period, 2 hour before and 2 hours after sunset.

Results

Date and number of moths killed
Date, 1999 (A) Bug zapper + pheromone + sticky paper (B) Bug zapper alone
Under zapper on paper total
June 21 12 5 17 10
22 10 18 28 7
23 18 100 118 14
24 13 81 94 31

(C) Bug zapper + sticky paper
27 5 6 11 29
28 1 10 11 17
29 13 28 41 38
30 69 160 229 113

(D) Pheromone + sticky paper
July 1 6 5 11 19
2 4 8 12 18
4 1 9 10 1
5 17 19 36 4
6 34 69 103 6
11 47 48 95 17
12 28 96 124 37

Discussions
* When using the bug zapper plus pheromone and sticky paper method (A), the sticky paper killed 3 times more moths than the high voltage wire grid ([column 3]/[column 2]).

* The bug zapper plus pheromone and sticky paper (A) killed 4 times more moths than the bug zapper alone (B) without pheromone or sticky paper, ([column 4]/[column 5], June 21-24 data).

* There was insufficient data to determine a statistically significant difference between the bug zapper plus pheromone and sticky paper method (A) versus bug zapper and sticky paper (C) without pheromone (June 27-30 data). The high moth count on June 30 (229 with pheromone versus 115 without pheromone) suggests that pheromone lure should be included in the trap, especially when pheromone lures are relatively inexpensive. Furthermore, pheromone lures have the advantage of selecting for moth species and mating disruption whereas the bug zapper is indiscriminant.

* The bug zapper plus pheromone and sticky paper method (A) trapped 7 times more moths than trapped by the pheromone and sticky paper (D), without bug zapper ([column 4]/[column 5], July 1-12 data).

* In a separate test, the bug zapper with the pheromone lure was placed on top of the sticky paper 8 inches away from a wall. Another sticky paper was attached to the wall behind the bug zapper. At the end of a week, there were over 300 moths on the horizontal sticky paper under the bug zapper and 15 moths on the vertical sticky paper attached to the wall. Vertical placement of the sticky paper was not effective in trapping moths. For moths to land on the vertical surface, they would turn their backs to the light source, whereas, moths could land on the horizontal surface while facing the light source.

It's no doubt a good idea, buddy Josh led me to this idea last year... I researched it quite a bit and ran into a couple of problems.

For starters, depending on which one you get, they can be really loud, even the weakest one that we could get would still be loud at night time, and because the lower power ones aren't as quite loud as the higher power ones, there are a lot of finicky reviews for all sorts of different zappers. I really thought this would be the miracle solution, and I'm sure it works great, I just haven't found anything that will fit nicely into our home. To add, they say the thing needs to be 25 ft away from the house because the sparks it sends out when it zaps the bugs can catch things on fire; which means I would need one mighty and long extension cord, plus I don't have a socket that close. I wouldn't want to have to leave the extension cord out there day and night in the rain and what not... but perhaps if I do some more research I'll find something that works... for now I'll just ride out the storm:surf:

Nice shot, they look happy and healthy. Those are the re-vegged ones right?
I think you said you were putting them inside into the grow wardrobe at night, and Sun during the day?

I thought about re-vegging things, but wanted to start from fresh. But next time I will let the popcorn buds continue growing out more.

Thanks Les, the reveg died a slow death, no Fire OG, but I did come into some good strain seeds, I grew the ones in the pic from seed, then sexed them at 4" and now the girls are back to 24 hours. I heard that is not always the best way to sex, but I have never had a problem or a hermie (wood knocked) Did you get a 3rd package?

Nice shot, they look happy and healthy. Those are the re-vegged ones right?
I think you said you were putting them inside into the grow wardrobe at night, and Sun during the day?

I thought about re-vegging things, but wanted to start from fresh. But next time I will let the popcorn buds continue growing out more.

Back
Top Bottom