Long time lurker, first time poster

Fyrewhysper

420 Member
Hello all,

I've grown off and on since the late 80s in hydro and and now after doing three years of outdoor grows I've made the switch to Indoor. I started building the setup a few months back

AC Infinity 4x4
AC infinity 4 inch with AC Carbon filter
Volt 440W VL-1 LED
Foxfarm Ocean Forest with Foxfarm tri pack of nutes
5 gallon Cloth buckets
I picked up Dark Heart clones Ken's Granddaddy Purple, Platinum OG, Girl Scout Cookies, my sister provided a seedling called The Candy from a local dispensary that is one week behind the clones being put into the tent under lights.

I'll have pictures and hopefully a grow log once I get comfortable in here. Made a batch file to resize my 4k pix down to forum limit of 1280. Looking forward to meeting you all.

Most of these pictures are from the last few days. Flowering 25 days as of today.
PXL_20210627_200201536.jpg

PXL_20210625_161817297.jpg

PXL_20210625_222420526~2.jpg

The Platinum OG is the only one exhibiting these colorations in the leaves. Not sure what is causing it.

PXL_20210625_233509483~2.jpg

PXL_20210626_193836801.jpg

Farther away shot of the Plat OG leaves

PXL_20210625_222459035~2.jpg

PXL_20210626_210501247.jpg

PXL_20210626_210559336.jpg

PXL_20210626_210700481.jpg

Welcome and best of luck to you.

I'm no expert so take this with a huge grain of salt. I saw you posted a little worry about a not perfectly uniform green leaf from one of your flowering beauties.

I have been experiencing increasing leaf discoloration as the flowers mature. I've been growing Critical Mass & Wappa and the CM yellows as it matures. So far I haven't figured out why but the bud is not lacking.

I'm sure many more experienced growers already documented a full cause to remedy piece on here somewhere. Search away and hang in there, looks like you're doing a great job.

Hello all,

I've grown off and on since the late 80s in hydro and and now after doing three years of outdoor grows I've made the switch to Indoor. I started building the setup a few months back

AC Infinity 4x4
AC infinity 4 inch with AC Carbon filter
Volt 440W VL-1 LED
Foxfarm Ocean Forest with Foxfarm tri pack of nutes
5 gallon Cloth buckets
I picked up Dark Heart clones Ken's Granddaddy Purple, Platinum OG, Girl Scout Cookies, my sister provided a seedling called The Candy from a local dispensary that is one week behind the clones being put into the tent under lights.

I'll have pictures and hopefully a grow log once I get comfortable in here. Made a batch file to resize my 4k pix down to forum limit of 1280. Looking forward to meeting you all.

Most of these pictures are from the last few days. Flowering 25 days as of today.
PXL_20210627_200201536.jpg

PXL_20210625_161817297.jpg

PXL_20210625_222420526~2.jpg

The Platinum OG is the only one exhibiting these colorations in the leaves. Not sure what is causing it.

PXL_20210625_233509483~2.jpg

PXL_20210626_193836801.jpg

Farther away shot of the Plat OG leaves

PXL_20210625_222459035~2.jpg

PXL_20210626_210501247.jpg

PXL_20210626_210559336.jpg

PXL_20210626_210700481.jpg
Hello @Fyrewhysper fantastic garden my friend.
Welcome to 420magazine. :welcome:
Bill

Welcome aboard @Fyrewhysper

I see you have a nice garden started, well done.

When your ready to start a grow journal here is the link.

You can also win free stuff for growing while you are lurking checkout this one.

Stay safe, and grow well my friend,

Tok.. :bong:

Welcome aboard! Nice grow! I see the leaf discoloration you mention. In flower potassium gets a hard call and sometimes help is needed. I found the following in the Plant Problem solver. Link in my signature below if you want to look at other things it may be. The leaves look like they may be going that way to me. You?

Phosphorus (P) Mobile Element and Macro Element

Benefit: Phosphorus does a lot of things for the plant. One of the most important parts of Phosphorus is: It aids in root growth and influences the vigour of the plant and is
one of the most important elements in flowering as well helps to germinate seedlings.
Phosphorus is an essential plant nutrient, and since it is needed in large amounts, it is classified as a macronutrient. Phosphorus is a MAJOR important nutrient in the plants reproductive stages. Without this element the plants will have a lot of problems blooming without proper levels of Phosphorus.

When your plants are deficient in phosphorus, this can overall reduce the size of your plants. Not enough causes slow growth and causes the plant to become weak, to little amount of Phosphorus causes slow growths in leaves that may or may not drop off. The edges all around the leaves or half of the leaves can be brownish and work its way inwards a bit causing the part of the leaves to curl up in the air a bit. Fan leaves will show dark greenish/purplish and yellowish tones along with a dullish blue colour to them. Sometimes the stems can be red, along with red petioles that can happen when having a Phosphorus deficiency. This isn't a sure sure sign of you having one though, but can be a sign. Some strains just show the red petioles and stems from its genes.
So pretty much the overall dark green colour with a purple, red, or blue tint to the fan leaves is a good sign of a Phosphorus deficiency. Having Cold weather (below 50F/10C) can make phosphorous absorption very troublesome for plants.
Many people get a Phosphorus deficiency confused with a fungus problem because the ends of the leaves look like a fungus problem, But the damage occurs at the end of the leaves. side of the leaves and has a glass like feeling to it as if it had a pH problem. Parts affected by a phosphorus deficiency are: Older Leaves, Whole plant, Petioles.

Too much Phosphorus levels affect plant growth by suppressing the uptake of: Iron, potassium and Zinc, potentially causing deficiency symptoms of these nutrients to occur def in plants. A Zinc deficiency is most common under excessive phosphorus conditions,
As well as causing other nutrients to have absorption troubles like zinc and copper. Phosphorus fluctuates when concentrated and combined with calcium

Problems with Phosphorus being locked out by pH troubles
Cold wet soils, acid or very alkaline soils, compacted soil.

Soil

Phosphorus gets locked out of soil growing at pH levels of 4.0-5.5
Phosphorus is absorbed best in soil at a pH level of 6.0-7.5 (wouldn’t recommend having a pH of over 7.0 in soil) Anything out of the ranges listed will contribute to a Phosphorus deficiency.

Hydro and Soil less Mediums

Phosphorus gets locked out of Hydro and Soil less Mediums at pH levels of 6.0-8.5.
Phosphorus is absorbed best in Hydro and Soil less Mediums at pH levels of 4.0- 5.8. (Wouldn’t recommend having a pH over 6.5 in hydro and soil less mediums.) Best range for hydro and soil less mediums is 5.0 to 6.0. Anything out of the ranges listed will contribute to a Phosphorus Deficiency.

Solution to fixing a Phosphorus deficiency
Some deficiency during flowering is normal, but too much shouldn't be tolerated. Any chemical or organic fertilizers that have Phosphorus in them will fix a Phosphorus deficiency. If you have a phosphorus deficiency you should use any N-P-K ratio that is over 5.Again Peters all purpose 20-20-20 is a good mix. Miracle grow Tomato plant food, Miracle grow All purpose plant food (Only mixing at ½ strength when using chemical nutrients, or it will cause nutrient burn!) Other forms of phosphorus supplements are: Bone meal, which is gradual absorption, I suggest making it into a tea for faster use, where bone/blood meal is slow acting, but when made into a tea it works quicker! Fruit eating bat guano, which is fast absorption, Worm castings, which is gradual absorption, Fish meal, which is medium absorption, Soft Rock Phosphate, which is medium absorption, Jamaican or Indonesian Guano, which is fast absorption. Crabshell, which is slow absorption. Tiger Bloom , which is fast absorption.

Here is a list of things to help fix a Phosphorus Deficiency.

Chemical

Advanced nutrients Bloom (0-5-4)
Vita Bloom (0-7-5)
BC Bloom (1.1-4.4-7)
GH Flora Bloom (0-5-4)
GH Maxi Bloom (5-15-14)
GH Floranova Bloom (4-8-7)
Dyna-Gro Bloom (3-12-6)
Fox Farm Tiger Bloom (2-8-4)
Awsome Blossums

Organic

Dr. Hornby's Iguana Juice Bloom (4-3-6)
Advanced Nutrients Mother Earth Bloom (.5-1.5-2)
Fox Farm Big Bloom (.01-.3-.7)
Earth Juice Bloom (0-3-1)
Pure Blend Bloom (2.5-2-5)
Pure Blend Pro Bloom (2.5-2-5)
Buddswell (0-7-0)
Sea Island Jamaican Bat Guano (1-10-0)
Indonesian Bat Guano (0-13-0)
Rainbow Mix Bloom (1-9-2)
BIO BLOOM (2-6-3.5)
AGE OLD BLOOM (5-10-5)
ALASKA MORBLOOM (0-10-10)
METANATURALS ORGANIC BLOOM (1-5-5)

Any of these will cure your phosphorus deficiency. Affected leaves will not show recovery but new growth will appear normal.

Now if you added to much chemical ferts and or organics, (which is hard to burn your plants when using organics) You need to Flush the soil with plain water. You need to use 2 times as much water as the size of the pot, for example: If you have a 5 gallon pot and need to flush it, you need to use 10 gallons of water to rinse out the soil good enough to get rid of excessive nutrients.

Note: Blood Meal, Dried Blood, Guanos, Kelp Meal, Cotton Seed Meal, Peat Moss,
Sulfur and fish meal are all acidic and can bring your pH down, so if you add these please monitor your pH when using those.

Note: Bone Meal, Rock Phosphate, Wood Ashes pretty much all ashes, Shellfish Compost and Crab Meal are all alkaline and can make your pH go up, so if you add any of these please monitor your pH.

Picture 1 is a Phosphorus deficiency during vegetative growth.
Picture 2 is what a phosphorus deficiency looks like in flowering.

(Picture 1 is Mine)
1134Phosphorus-deficiency1.jpg

1134nl-Phosphorous2.jpg

Welcome aboard! Nice grow! I see the leaf discoloration you mention. In flower potassium gets a hard call and sometimes help is needed. I found the following in the Plant Problem solver. Link in my signature below if you want to look at other things it may be. The leaves look like they may be going that way to me. You?

Benefit: Phosphorus does a lot of things for the plant. One of the most important parts of Phosphorus is: It aids in root growth and influences the vigour of the plant and is
one of the most important elements in flowering as well helps to germinate seedlings.
Phosphorus is an essential plant nutrient, and since it is needed in large amounts, it is classified as a macronutrient. Phosphorus is a MAJOR important nutrient in the plants reproductive stages. Without this element the plants will have a lot of problems blooming without proper levels of Phosphorus.

When your plants are deficient in phosphorus, this can overall reduce the size of your plants. Not enough causes slow growth and causes the plant to become weak, to little amount of Phosphorus causes slow growths in leaves that may or may not drop off. The edges all around the leaves or half of the leaves can be brownish and work its way inwards a bit causing the part of the leaves to curl up in the air a bit. Fan leaves will show dark greenish/purplish and yellowish tones along with a dullish blue colour to them. Sometimes the stems can be red, along with red petioles that can happen when having a Phosphorus deficiency. This isn't a sure sure sign of you having one though, but can be a sign. Some strains just show the red petioles and stems from its genes.
So pretty much the overall dark green colour with a purple, red, or blue tint to the fan leaves is a good sign of a Phosphorus deficiency. Having Cold weather (below 50F/10C) can make phosphorous absorption very troublesome for plants.
Many people get a Phosphorus deficiency confused with a fungus problem because the ends of the leaves look like a fungus problem, But the damage occurs at the end of the leaves. side of the leaves and has a glass like feeling to it as if it had a pH problem. Parts affected by a phosphorus deficiency are: Older Leaves, Whole plant, Petioles.

Too much Phosphorus levels affect plant growth by suppressing the uptake of: Iron, potassium and Zinc, potentially causing deficiency symptoms of these nutrients to occur def in plants. A Zinc deficiency is most common under excessive phosphorus conditions,
As well as causing other nutrients to have absorption troubles like zinc and copper. Phosphorus fluctuates when concentrated and combined with calcium

Soil

Phosphorus is absorbed best in soil at a pH level of 6.0-7.5 (wouldn’t recommend having a pH of over 7.0 in soil) Anything out of the ranges listed will contribute to a Phosphorus deficiency.

Phosphorus gets locked out of Hydro and Soil less Mediums at pH levels of 6.0-8.5.
Phosphorus is absorbed best in Hydro and Soil less Mediums at pH levels of 4.0- 5.8. (Wouldn’t recommend having a pH over 6.5 in hydro and soil less mediums.) Best range for hydro and soil less mediums is 5.0 to 6.0. Anything out of the ranges listed will contribute to a Phosphorus Deficiency.

Some deficiency during flowering is normal, but too much shouldn't be tolerated. Any chemical or organic fertilizers that have Phosphorus in them will fix a Phosphorus deficiency. If you have a phosphorus deficiency you should use any N-P-K ratio that is over 5.Again Peters all purpose 20-20-20 is a good mix. Miracle grow Tomato plant food, Miracle grow All purpose plant food (Only mixing at ½ strength when using chemical nutrients, or it will cause nutrient burn!) Other forms of phosphorus supplements are: Bone meal, which is gradual absorption, I suggest making it into a tea for faster use, where bone/blood meal is slow acting, but when made into a tea it works quicker! Fruit eating bat guano, which is fast absorption, Worm castings, which is gradual absorption, Fish meal, which is medium absorption, Soft Rock Phosphate, which is medium absorption, Jamaican or Indonesian Guano, which is fast absorption. Crabshell, which is slow absorption. Tiger Bloom , which is fast absorption.

Chemical

Vita Bloom (0-7-5)
BC Bloom (1.1-4.4-7)
GH Flora Bloom (0-5-4)
GH Maxi Bloom (5-15-14)
Dyna-Gro Bloom (3-12-6)
Awsome Blossums

Organic

Buddswell (0-7-0)
BIO BLOOM (2-6-3.5)
AGE OLD BLOOM (5-10-5)

Any of these will cure your phosphorus deficiency. Affected leaves will not show recovery but new growth will appear normal.

Now if you added to much chemical ferts and or organics, (which is hard to burn your plants when using organics) You need to Flush the soil with plain water. You need to use 2 times as much water as the size of the pot, for example: If you have a 5 gallon pot and need to flush it, you need to use 10 gallons of water to rinse out the soil good enough to get rid of excessive nutrients.

Sulfur and fish meal are all acidic and can bring your pH down, so if you add these please monitor your pH when using those.

Note: Bone Meal, Rock Phosphate, Wood Ashes pretty much all ashes, Shellfish Compost and Crab Meal are all alkaline and can make your pH go up, so if you add any of these please monitor your pH.

(Picture 1 is Mine)

1134nl-Phosphorous2.jpg
Great info. Thanks @StoneOtter .
Bill

@StoneOtter
Thank you! I've been keeping an eye on that plant for a week now. Ironically I just read that post on nutrients and marked it for future reference. There hasn't been any further discoloration so far. I gave them bigbloom and tiger bloom a few days ago.
I've always found it fascinating how different strains grow compared to each other.

Thanks to the warm welcome from you all. I'll start work on a journal today as I can only stare at my plants so long!

@StoneOtter
Thank you! I've been keeping an eye on that plant for a week now. Ironically I just read that post on nutrients and marked it for future reference. There hasn't been any further discoloration so far. I gave them bigbloom and tiger bloom a few days ago.
I've always found it fascinating how different strains grow compared to each other.

Thanks to the warm welcome from you all. I'll start work on a journal today as I can only stare at my plants so long!
That's good there's good growth. I like to look at new growth. Sometimes they just need to get adjusted all on their own.

Four different strains, all very different in appearance. Platinum still has me concerned with the discoloration and I'm just not figuring what's missing in spite of looking at a nute deficiency chart.

Platinum Kush
PXL_20210703_161618570.jpg

GSC
PXL_20210703_161633617.jpg

The Candy
PXL_20210703_161641046.jpg

Ken's GDP
PXL_20210703_161702756.jpg

The GSC is taking on a skunky peppery smell, GDP smells like high school dayz to me. Platinum not much yet and Candy has a nice scent. It's definitely filling up the room when I open the tent in the morning.

I've been wondering that too but I was thinking nitrogen as she's been a lime green since I got her. Any advice is appreciated.
The platinum has me stumped too. I've never seen that look to the leaves in any previous grows. I try not to overdue nutes after a few years back I almost killed one and managed to flush it and rehab it. Was a great yielder too.

If it is mag, should I put Epsom salt in a feed for it or is there another product I should try? I've only added foxfarm nutes.
Yes, when I use it I go with a tablespoon/gallon of water if the pot is large and needs more than a gallon. If it's a 5 gallon pot then you can sprinkle a tablespoon over the soil and water it in. It looks mag def from here. Search "mag def cannabis" and check out some pics. Tell me if you think so too.

Soil

Chemical

Vita Bloom (0-7-5)
BC Bloom (1.1-4.4-7)
GH Flora Bloom (0-5-4)
GH Maxi Bloom (5-15-14)
Dyna-Gro Bloom (3-12-6)
Awsome Blossums

Organic

Buddswell (0-7-0)
BIO BLOOM (2-6-3.5)
AGE OLD BLOOM (5-10-5)

(Picture 1 is Mine)

1134nl-Phosphorous2.jpg

Hey S0,

That's some good info. I'll have to check out your sig link.

Welcome, Fyrewhysper. This is a great site. Lots of helpful folks always willing to chime in.

Good luck with your grow.

Azi

Hey S0,

That's some good info. I'll have to check out your sig link.

Welcome, Fyrewhysper. This is a great site. Lots of helpful folks always willing to chime in.

Good luck with your grow.

Azi
Hey Azi. :love: :high-five:

Back
Top Bottom