Lost In The Fog

What a beauty - I love mechanicals like that! I get Busso V6 engine vibes :laughtwo:

We are the same NC, can't go past one of these pieces without looking and feeling the quality. This stuff never gets built anymore... just like Busso. :)

Sweet shine! That
s a funky nice piece of machinery! I'd like to see one working.

Wow that's beautiful, this Is to measure Rain right?
Why the two exhaust like tubes?
i've got a plastic one..lame.

It's not as complex as it looks, problem is to get everything calibrated and weighed in to perfection. Guess this is why they are hand built.

The function is very simple, its called tipping bucket rain gauge. This contraption sits in a larger tube, the rain enters through a larger funnel (diameter 20cm) over this contraption and gets fed through the smaller cromed funnel and drips down to the buckets that fills up and tips when full with a calibrated amount of water in this case 0,5mm rain. When the arm with the buckets tips it trips an electrical switch on the back that sends a puls to a counter that sets that 0,5mm rain has fallen.

Simple enough, right? Love the simplicity in complex stuff. :)

Plastic is great for designing stuff but it never holds 60 years like this piece did outside...

We are the same NC, can't go past one of these pieces without looking and feeling the quality. This stuff never gets built anymore... just like Busso. :)

It's not as complex as it looks, problem is to get everything calibrated and weighed in to perfection. Guess this is why they are hand built.

The function is very simple, its called tipping bucket rain gauge. This contraption sits in a larger tube, the rain enters through a larger funnel (diameter 20cm) over this contraption and gets fed through the smaller cromed funnel and drips down to the buckets that fills up and tips when full with a calibrated amount of water in this case 0,5mm rain. When the arm with the buckets tips it trips an electrical switch on the back that sends a puls to a counter that sets that 0,5mm rain has fallen.

Simple enough, right? Love the simplicity in complex stuff. :)

Plastic is great for designing stuff but it never holds 60 years like this piece did outside...
That is a tribute to simple complexity. I'd hang it on a wall or sit it on a table for gazing...if I were single. :laugh: Not gonna happen though. Mechanical things and boat hulls seem to give rise to my sensibilities.

Might've needed you here today, CraZy... I had to play water plant technician!

The well here has a 4.5kW pump motor with a pressure vessel, lifting water from 120 meter down. It was originally meant to supply two properties with 5 buildings, so I guess it's a bit on the heavy-duty side.

The pressure switch is playing up and the circuit breaker gets tripped every few starts of the pump motor. It stops, then immediately restarts, and that causes the breaker to trip - I guess the pulsing of the reactive load of the motor causes a pretty good current spike in the breaker.

Thus I've had a couple of sessions down in the pump vault, cleaning and adjusting the pressure switch, trying to get a good setting where the pump doesn't start to often, and getting rid of that stop/restart pulsing. It's not easy, with water ingress and rust in the mechanism. I think the pressure switch is overdue for a replacement. Will probably need to hire a pro to replace it; don't want to damage anything or risk not installing it properly myself.

How is this relevant, one might ask? Well, the flowers need water and I need water in order to be able to water the flowers, and not least, with CraZy being a water plant technician, this should be right up his alley :goof:

I'd hang it on a wall or sit it on a table for gazing...if I were single. :laugh: Not gonna happen though. Mechanical things and boat hulls seem to give rise to my sensibilities.

Well that's the thing here now... I'm single and there is no one here except Ginza who possibly could have any objection to it. :laughtwo:

CraZy being a water plant technician, this should be right up his alley :goof:

Ok, first question... is the pump sitting dry up at ground level? This tells what pump this installation got, usually with deep wells the pump is situated down at the bottom of the well and consists of a system with more than one wheel that looks more like a jet engine than a pump. If this is the case they start leaking after many years of grinding super fine silt sand from well walls.

If the pump is situated at ground level most common issues with those installations are either this pressure switch or the checker valve that holds the water from the well for the pump without running back down and making the pump work considerably more than needed and often overheat when not getting cooling from the water it should pump. In this case there is no water coming at all.

Is there any external or extra pressure dial present by the pump for you to see what pressures it works with?

Ok, first question... is the pump sitting dry up at ground level?
It's at ground level. Pump, pressure vessel, and switches are all down in the man hole (utility vault?).

If the pump is situated at ground level most common issues with those installations are either this pressure switch or the checker valve that holds the water from the well for the pump without running back down and making the pump work considerably more than needed and often overheat when not getting cooling from the water it should pump. In this case there is no water coming at all.

Is there any external or extra pressure dial present by the pump for you to see what pressures it works with?
There are no pressure gauges or anything and no electronics. It's very basic in this sense.

The pressure switch is entirely mechanical, with a hysteresis mechanism ala a microswitch. It has a spring for which the loading must be adjusted by feel, until the pump runs for a reasonable amount of time (maybe 20 seconds) and don't start too often. I had it adjusted to run without a hitch for 12 years - just a few days ago this stop/immediate-restart/circuit-break pattern started.

I do have a suspicion about what might be wrong. When I tried to lubricate, adjust and work the mechanism, I noticed that it has become "part sticky, part slippery" (you know.... old worn mechanism) - and when the pumping stops, the small hydraulic/mechanical shock caused by that might be what makes the switch engage again, causing a restart while the motor is still turning, and then the breaker trips due to a nasty back EMF kick or something like that. Sounds plausible?

Today I woke up to no water, so this is happening "all the time" now. I'm ordering a new pressure switch right away (Edit: the Danfoss PS7B switch is obsolete so I'll have to pick the nearest equivalent).

Oh, and I don't mean to invoke your consultation here, just sharing the anecdote - you're not at work, mate! :)

Danfoss PS7B

Might be true Cosmos, the metals inside those mechanical components eventually gets worn out and either slide easier or jams against each other due to the increased play between the components. Even Danfoss haven't found a way to produce that precious unubtanium if they do I bet they can make you a pressure switch that lasts a lifetime without service. LoL :laughtwo:

There are no pressure gauges or anything and no electronics. It's very basic in this sense.

Love your installation already, like a dead electricians house I once visited every wire in that house was black. He must had worse condition than me.... LoL

you're not at work, mate! :)

Even when I'm physically at work, I'm at another place in my mind... Need to find a way out of there. :nomo:

Actually called in sick this Monday, had to get shots for the pain again and called and actually got an appointment this Tuesday so its taken me a few days to re-energize myself again. Been working on a present for my step daughter "Anita" that turns 30 this Saturday, on our beloved Americans super holiday... :) Picked her up Tuesday night so she's been here a few nights at my place. She can't stand here mother either... LoL

Hey just floating through been missing you guys. Not running here for a couple of months. Couldn't get up the stairs and blew that driver last year during summer. Hope you are well my friend. Like Woody said. Shit gets fucked up just got too roll with it. Glad you are back to work 50/50.

Great to see you at least floating through man, been missing you! Want to make that hash press stamp for you! :)

About my 50% I wouldn't go that far to calling it working but I'm there at least. I doubt I will ever get back 100% to that employment even with new meds against my psychic condition that's been affecting my pain reception all the time. But I'm much more positive to everything since I found out about all this, the downside is smoking weed is out of the question until I know I'm safe. Everyone here needs to go through a drug screening program to get medicated for these conditions but hopefully they stop these harassment's after one have proven to be clean from class A drugs.

Well enough of that, hope you will get back to your normal state soon and that we will have the joy again of having you around. Things haven't been the same here since this damn outbreak... I will hopefully get back to growing soon again and I hope you will as well.

:green_heart:

Hoping they will just stop testing for cannabis here. Know they already have out west. It's coming. Might be 10 years or next year just never know . I choose jobs that don't. Just been a personal choice ,Forever.

I lived like that as well and just barely stayed clear of any testing but this is a different story with healthcare and deep evaluations involved. I will def get some Ad/Hd or Add and possibly Asperger diagnosis when all this is done, been trying out some meds this summer and I feel great. I can once in my life make some sense with what I need to do not just run away from problems and make another crazy build to distract myself from anxiety over things.

Feel like not growing here again. My sis stumbled upon the grow while in the wheelchair:rolleyes:. So looking for a different spot. Or just do it again and not worry.:D

Wow, that's no good... does mom know now too? In my mind you should have much easier to explain why you grow than me, status regarding grows here and specially my family is a no go... LoL I'm sure they will understand why you want to grow, specially now with even more pain... how is rehab going, still wheelchair?

Wanting to move a little further south where its not a big deal. Stay in the mountains.

More mountains down south? I would like to live in the mountains in Canada...... :love:

Hey Crazy! Stopping by to see what's happening here but it looks like it's pretty quiet. I hope you're well and staying clear of Sweden's crazy experiment with the coronavirus (nice they named it for you :)). Say hi to the folks for me :ciao:
:green_heart:

This made me happy! :)

I know its been awfully quite in here and hopefully I will be able to reboot this soon, needed a break in growing this summer. I feel it eats up too much energy growing inside during summers with craZy temps, RH and bugs to keep in check and smell being worse as well.

Still have that house back in my mind so the dream would be to get there, I've grown out of the summer house and the apartment is the same. My ideas and hobbies make it hard staying in these shoe boxes, I was born and raised on the countryside here and didn't need to think about what time it was I started a noisy tool. Want to get back to that and lots of space for my projects as well. Don't know if I'm able to pull through a thing like that now with everything hanging in the air by a thread.

Folks are doing great and mom is more busy than ever and that is so good to see, shes been bugging me to tell you abut this bush Poppy she got blooming this year. Sis got seeds from it in their last visit to LA, you probably see them as weeds but she is very proud of it and that what counts. :)

full

CraZy Corona experiment continues here... government is blaming the counties and counties the state, business as usual I say....

Keep safe Shed! :green_heart:

:blunt:

That's a beautiful flower your mom has grown! I see where you get your green-ish thumb ;).

I hope your doctors get a handle on the pain while you wait to pass the Class A test, so you can get back to your beloved Spliffberry!

Probably gotten more things from her gene pool, good and bad but this is probably one of the better ones. :)

Things are some what complicated surrounding all this treatments I get now. My house doc is the one who handles my disability grade that's been at 50% until now and she wants to ramp me up to 75% next meet at Wednesday, personally I feel like calling in sick Monday cause I can't handle pain and other symptoms right now before next Botox treatment and that's at the pain clinic with a different doc. Then there is the psychic evaluation as well and there I'm put in waiting line for it to start the in depth evaluation so I will keep off the berry for still some time. But I will probably start growing asap after summer releases its heat grip on us.

Back
Top Bottom