Low Watts - High Yield - Let's Smash the 1 GPW Benchmark Together

I got a question for ya 420. When you started from seed did you use regular or feminized seeds? Do you think it makes a difference? All I've used is fem, but I've heard people say that the quality from reg is superior. What are your thoughts or experiences?

Edit- now that I typed it it seems like you might have mentioned this previously. Sorry if that's the case, I didn't see it when I went back through.

My garden was started from a feminized seed many years ago. However, I have grown females from both feminized and regular seeds and I found no difference in the quality or yield. Of course this is just my personal experience. If I were going to start a new garden tomorrow I would likely order feminized seeds. Opinions will vary on this one.

420fied thanks for the quick response. I think when i start my Journal im gona do some in 20oz bottles also. Gona pick up a new cam soon Just for the Journal. Any way u could show a pic side by side with a 2L of the same age. or how tall it is compared to one in the 2L. thanks

I'll get a side by side photo of the 20oz and a 2 Liter to show some scale this evening for you.

sorry 420 idk what i'm suppose to be looking for can you point out where the black stress ring is. thanks.

There is no black ring on the clone I'm pointing to in those pictures. I'm only pointing to the location where the black stress rings form.

b_ring_flwr.JPG

This picture illustrates what the black stress ring looks like on a planted clone. On occasion, a clone will get the 'black ring of death' on it and when I see it again, I'll snap a pic of the clone still in the cloner and show everyone what I'm talking about.

You're quite welcome. If you can't find what you're looking for just leave the question here and I'll be happy to answer it.

As I stated to another grower in this thread.... I always told myself that if I was ever fortunate enough to bank some quality knowledge based on experience, that I would someday play it forward and help others. So here we are.

Growers helping Growers

:peace:

I have 2 questions related to this grow style, but not about the cloner (I already asked those on your cloner thread)...

First, what is the 'reservoir' you keep talking about? Is it just the little bubble parts at the bottom of the bottles?

Second, this answer might answer the first question, where can I find the thread/discussion about "hempy style" buckets? Sorry if I'm getting the terminology wrong. I hear this term thrown around a lot and am not 100% sure what it means. I thought it meant using the 2L bottles like you are, but I think there is something else I am missing.

Thanks again. Your explanations are clear, and I appreciate that you provide your rational for doing things the way you do. Sometimes growers will just say "that's how everyone does it" or insist the results justify a technique. You're also always cordial and polite. Something often lacking on forums. You've become one of my favorite posters here. :Namaste:

I have 2 questions related to this grow style, but not about the cloner (I already asked those on your cloner thread)...

First, what is the 'reservoir' you keep talking about? Is it just the little bubble parts at the bottom of the bottles?

Second, this answer might answer the first question, where can I find the thread/discussion about "hempy style" buckets? Sorry if I'm getting the terminology wrong. I hear this term thrown around a lot and am not 100% sure what it means. I thought it meant using the 2L bottles like you are, but I think there is something else I am missing.

Thanks again. Your explanations are clear, and I appreciate that you provide your rational for doing things the way you do. Sometimes growers will just say "that's how everyone does it" or insist the results justify a technique. You're also always cordial and polite. Something often lacking on forums. You've become one of my favorite posters here. :Namaste:

Thank you for the kind words.

The res is the bottom 2 1/4" of the 2 Liter below the drain hole. You can grow Hempy style in trash cans, milk jugs, or any other type of pot you can poke a drain hole in. Just leave a couple inches below to act as the small res. It's certainly not limited to the 2 liter bottle.

As for learning more about what the Hempy style is here is my suggestion:

Google "World of Hempy" and you'll find a thread on another forum. It's a 60+ page discussion on what the Hempy method is, etc.

More exact terms to Google which will lead you to grow journals, tutorials, and discussions on this style of growing:

"The Hempy Collective"
"Hempy Bucket Method"
"Making a Hempy grow Bucket"

Hey 420

2 questions for ya about cloning. I have my cloner in my basement and the temp down there where the cloner is is 66 degrees Fahrenheit. I don't know the water temp but was thinking about picking up a water heater for my aero cloner. I see one that keeps the water at 78 degrees Fahrenheit. Is that too high for water temp? and is the temp where my cloner is too low (66 degrees)?

Thank again and happy growing!

My garden was started from a feminized seed many years ago. However, I have grown females from both feminized and regular seeds and I found no difference in the quality or yield. Of course this is just my personal experience. If I were going to start a new garden tomorrow I would likely order feminized seeds. Opinions will vary on this one.

Thanks for the info. +rep (just figured out how to add rep, been wanting to for awhile now)

Thank you for the kind words.

The res is the bottom 2 1/4" of the 2 Liter below the drain hole. You can grow Hempy style in trash cans, milk jugs, or any other type of pot you can poke a drain hole in. Just leave a couple inches below to act as the small res. It's certainly not limited to the 2 liter bottle.

As for learning more about what the Hempy style is here is my suggestion:

Google "World of Hempy" and you'll find a thread on another forum. It's a 60+ page discussion on what the Hempy method is, etc.

More exact terms to Google which will lead you to grow journals, tutorials, and discussions on this style of growing:

"The Hempy Collective"
"Hempy Bucket Method"
"Making a Hempy grow Bucket"

I too started reading world of hempy until I found your journals. There's several great and helpful growers there.

Thanks yet again 420fied.

So a "hempy bucket" just means the holes aren't on the bottom? Now it makes sense and explains why I got confused when people talked about '5g hempy' :)

What're you doing about side branching? Looking at the pictures, you don't appear to have any side branches, really. Are you trimming them? Or is that just the way they naturally stretch from being placed strait into flower.

oh wow fied, you really do take a lot off that 2L bottle. Barely 1.5 left. I'm about ready to attempt my 2L sog. Lurking around here is answering questions I didn't even know I had lol :).

That black ring stunting plants is scaring me. I'm glad we can tell the clone will be stunted early on, I'll simply cull and just leave my strongest clones in the tent. Looking forward to that pic of the B.R.D :blushsmile:

Cheers!

Hey 420

2 questions for ya about cloning. I have my cloner in my basement and the temp down there where the cloner is is 66 degrees Fahrenheit. I don't know the water temp but was thinking about picking up a water heater for my aero cloner. I see one that keeps the water at 78 degrees Fahrenheit. Is that too high for water temp? and is the temp where my cloner is too low (66 degrees)?

Thank again and happy growing!

66* sounds good. I would imagine your pump will heat the water in your res just a bit but obviously, you won't know for sure until you try it. Get yourself a floating thermometer at Wal Mart in the aquarium section for $1.79 and drop it in your res and test it. Personally, I have found the optimum aero cloning temps to fall between 72-78*, so to answer your question, ... No. 78* isn't too hot. Clones will root faster in 75-78* water than they will in 65-68* water. You can always add the heater if needed.

Thanks for the info. +rep (just figured out how to add rep, been wanting to for awhile now)

:thanks:

Thanks yet again 420fied.

So a "hempy bucket" just means the holes aren't on the bottom? Now it makes sense and explains why I got confused when people talked about '5g hempy' :)

Now you're gettin it. ;)

I too started reading world of hempy until I found your journals. There's several great and helpful growers there.

Agree. There's tons of good reads on Hempy growing out there if one looks. Google is our friend. :)

What're you doing about side branching? Looking at the pictures, you don't appear to have any side branches, really. Are you trimming them? Or is that just the way they naturally stretch from being placed strait into flower.

My strain doesn't side branch when sent straight to 12/12 as a clone. They end up looking like bud sticks. It's a nice fit for SOG growing. I'm growing Nirvana's Snow White (Northern Lights x Cinderella99).

oh wow fied, you really do take a lot off that 2L bottle. Barely 1.5 left. I'm about ready to attempt my 2L sog. Lurking around here is answering questions I didn't even know I had lol :).

That black ring stunting plants is scaring me. I'm glad we can tell the clone will be stunted early on, I'll simply cull and just leave my strongest clones in the tent. Looking forward to that pic of the B.R.D :blushsmile:

Cheers!

Yeah, my pots are smaller now after shaving a bit off the top. I hope your 2 Liter SOG kicks butt. I'll definitely post a pic the next time I see the 'BROD'. lol

Nice. That's awesome. I'm growing northern lights #5. Might have to root a clone and stick strait into flower just to see what it's stretch is like. How do you like the smoke with the c99 mixed into it? I've done a lot of reading on c99 an have always gone back and fourth on wether or not to order some seeds.

Nice. That's awesome. I'm growing northern lights #5. Might have to root a clone and stick strait into flower just to see what it's stretch is like. How do you like the smoke with the c99 mixed into it? I've done a lot of reading on c99 an have always gone back and fourth on wether or not to order some seeds.

I love it. I've always been a huge fan of NL5 and Cindy99. They're fantastic when bred. I love Snow White but any NL or Cindy cross is good. NL and Cindy are powerhouse strains.

Try her. You'll like her.

I love it. I've always been a huge fan of NL5 and Cindy99. They're fantastic when bred. I love Snow White but any NL or Cindy cross is good. NL and Cindy are powerhouse strains.

Try her. You'll like her.

NOrthern Lights #5 is one of my ALL TIME FAVORITES.

I 100% Agree, and it is my ALL TIME FAV to breed with. SOOO many great strains owe homage to NL. IMO, the first Successful indoor tailored strain.

Back
Top Bottom