Lowryder Grow

Re: setting sun's second lowryder grow

Cool. So how is the BHO? The potency of that will answer the recurring question of whether males have any value.

The fact of LowRyders not autoflowering seems to very common lately. Never should a seed be sold for a supposed autoflowering plant if that trait is lost. Sounds like the breeders need to do sample testing to assure people are getting what they want, or loose credibility.

It probably depends somewhat on the strain, but the BHO I've made from lowryder males is quite good. Expands like nobody's business and after 2-3 hits I'm done. The potency of lowryder males is quite decent. I've been smoking some really good Jack Herer, G13, trainwreck, and bubba kush from the dispensary I usually go to, so I have a pretty good frame of reference;).

Yeah, sounds like there are a lot of unstable seeds being sold. I ordered some LR2 seeds from a different seed bank to try as part of my next grow because I was curious about the autoflowering thing and didn't get to see it through two grows now.

here's some pics of the potting soil that grew the healthiest and biggest plants. I'm going to use it in all my pots on the next grow. It doesn't need the addition of perlite because it has little chunks of lava rock in addition to lots of other good stuff.

HPIM1318.JPG

HPIM13201.JPG

HPIM1324.JPG

HPIM1329.JPG

My ladies are at week 9 since sprouting now.

I had to stop using the 250 CMH bulb because after tending to my plants my arms would feel all prickly and sunburned. The grow tent is very reflective (one of many things I love about my grow tent) andwhen you open it, there must be a significant amount of UV bouncing out. If I was only going to open my grow tent up briefly once or even twice a day to tend to my plants, it probably wouldn't be an issue, but like many of us, I like to spend more time with my ladies than that.

In any case, I switched to a 250 HPS bulb and the sunburn problem was gone. I was worried about stressing my plants by changing their light at this point, but they seem to like the HPS than the CMH. They showed no stress at all, perked up even perkier, and the buds seem to have gotten less leafy.

I'm thinking they need at least one more week, maybe two, until they're ready. Any comments or suggestions would be very welcome. I probably come off as some kind of know-it-all, but all in all I've got less than 10 grows under my belt, and the 60-70's being what they were, I don't remember much about 8 of those;).

Funny thing, one thing I did remember was how to sex plants. Must be like riding a bicycle.

these are some week 9 pics:

HPIM1332.JPG

HPIM13501.JPG

My other plants got jealous because they didn't have any names, so this is Dew.

HPIM1346.JPG

HPIM1344.JPG

HPIM13571.JPG

This is TC, my biggest plant. She's up to 24" now.

HPIM1361.JPG

She wants to be pollinated so bad;).

full

Trippy is starting to get frosty.

HPIM1372.JPG

Trippy

HPIM1374.JPG

The Four Musketeers. They're inseparable. Literally.

Again, comments and suggestions are very welcome.

setting sun

:cheer:lookin great setting sun them HIGHryders will be needing lumberjacks LOL:ganjamon:

That's so funny res!

Believe it or not, when I started my journal, I was thinking of calling it "setting sun's second highryder grow", I kid you not.

Maybe we can come up with a name for this lowryder variety of mine. Let's see, they're not small and stealthy, and they don't autoflower.

We could call it:

"Screw this, time for 12/12".

or maybe......

"biggie smalls"

or.........

"Lowryder LST"

take care res, and thanks for your support,

setting sun

"The lowryders that weren't"

Looked at the ingredients that make up your "soil." Seems like pretty healthy stuff. +REPs.

Yeah, MHs tend to throw off UV in quantities. I would guess that switching back to it would net you a higher number of trichomes as the plant attempts to protect itself. Downside would be a good pair of shades (which you would want regardless for indoor gardening), long-sleeved shirt, and sunscreen whenever you want to hang out with your girls.

Will be especially interested in learning how many grams of dry well-trimmed bud you get off of the 2-liter plant.

"The lowryders that weren't"

Looked at the ingredients that make up your "soil." Seems like pretty healthy stuff. +REPs.

Yeah, MHs tend to throw off UV in quantities. I would guess that switching back to it would net you a higher number of trichomes as the plant attempts to protect itself. Downside would be a good pair of shades (which you would want regardless for indoor gardening), long-sleeved shirt, and sunscreen whenever you want to hang out with your girls.

Will be especially interested in learning how many grams of dry well-trimmed bud you get off of the 2-liter plant.

That potting soil is available at our local OSH (Orchard Supply Hardware). It's made by the same company (Sunland) that makes the OSH house brand potting soils, but it's better than the stuff they make for OSH because of the organic ferts, microbes, etc. It's the most expensive potting soil in town at $10 a bag, but that's still less than a lot of decent mixes. I wish I had a pic of TC and her companion males before I chopped them down. They were much lusher, greener, bigger and healthier looking than the rest of the plants.

Thanks for the reminder about the shades, sunblock and long sleeve shirt. I'm going to put those things right next to my grow tent so I make a habit of using them.

I planted two plants in this grow in 2-liter bottles. I was originally going to do a hempy bucket style grow with the soda bottles, but being a newbie, I didn't want to introduce too many variables for me to screw up. I could fit two of those soda bottles into my cab (where I started my grow) along with two 3 gallon pots, so I drilled holes in the bottom of the soda bottles and filled them with potting mix.

I did learn a bit from this grow about growing in 2-liter bottles. If you use green bottles, you don't have to worry about algae. It's very cool to be able to watch your root system develop through the clear (green) bottle. It's really easy to know when to water because you can actually see the soil at the bottom of the "pot" and the soda bottle just feels really light when it gets dry. The only downside is that when plants get bigger they suck the bottle dry every day. I have to water that plant daily because it goes from fully watered to almost bone dry in 24 hours. If I couldn't attend to my babies every day, that plant would be in serious trouble.

I will keep a careful record of the yield from each individual plant.

thanks for visiting and for your feedback TorturedSoul, I appreciate it.

regards,

setting sun

Thanks for the reminder about the shades, sunblock and long sleeve shirt. I'm going to put those things right next to my grow tent so I make a habit of using them.

Back in the day when I had a(n old school) MH going, a buddy had those prescription glasses that auto-tint in the sun - and they would tint when he was in the same space as the light.

I planted two plants in this grow in 2-liter bottles.

I remember a home built hydro setup that was popular some years ago which used (upside-down) 2-liter soda bottles connected with PVC pipe. It was a flood & drain thing.

If you use green bottles, you don't have to worry about algae.

Yup.

Mt. Dew, the official soda of stoners.

My still functioning upside down rig is slated for the big box. With short pan rez 20" tall too much. Plus there's the media. Once you start the slide with container gardens, bare roots in water is the inevitable devo bottom feed. Resistance is futile!

Ok, here's an update on my current lowryder grow. This is week 10 from seeds sprouting. Plants were beginning to look a bit yellowish overall, not just the normal yellowing of older bottom leaves, so I upped the nutes and they greened up nicely.

Buds seem to be swelling nicely but looks to me like they still need at least one more week or maybe even two.

HPIM1389_Medium.JPG

looking great SettingSun meds soooon LOL :passitleft:

I know, I know, LOL.

I got enough meds to wait it out because I just made a trip to my favorite dispensary, but what's killin' me is that I want to get my next grow on.

I have my smaller cab that I could start some plants in, but I don't like transplanting so I like to start my seeds in pretty much the same pots they're going to have for life. I just don't have enough room in my cab to do that, so I have to wait until these ladies finish and my grow tent is available.

I'm having fun thinking about what I'm going to grow next. I'm considering growing LR2, satori from mandala seeds, or maybe PPP. From what I've read, I think PPP would make me happy. Sativa high and bigger yield than lowryder is the direction I'm heading.

I may do an LR2 seed grow first, however.

regards resinator and thanks for dropping by!

setting sun

You can start seeds in RW starter cubes, then 'plant' in pots. Get you a 2 week head start. Yup, RW right into the dirt works. Love your chubby lil darlins.

I respect your experience Propa Gator and I love reading your posts. I like your style.

My current approach to growing, which could change tomorrow, is that even though I'm growing indoors, I'm trying to replicate nature as much as possible within my physical and financial constraints and limitations.

My germination method is to plant seeds directly into soil and to never transplant. I'm using an organic potting mix and organic nutes. I even try to replicate the rain when I water my plants.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not any kind of a hard-core "organic is the only way" person. There are a lot of "best" ways to grow this plant. It just happens to be what I'm trying at the moment.

I'm pretty sure I've decided to do an LR2 seed grow next and that definitely means I would plant seeds directly into 2 or 3 gallon pots.

Lowryders might be small above ground, but they quickly send a central tap root down that is about 6-8" deep by the end of week 1. If that tap root is restricted in any way, the plant will be stunted.

If I wasn't doing an LR2 grow next, I would probably go out to my garage right after hitting the "submit reply" button and apply your suggestion:).

I was out watering my lawn and I though of another reason I like using organic soil and nutes.

The soil buffer and the slower uptake of the organic nutes makes it harder for me to kill my plants until I get some more experience.

setting sun

Back
Top Bottom