Lowryder Grow

Re: setting sun's second lowryder grow

Sorry SS, to make you justify a sensi ble and productive methodology. I find no chink in your logic. rep on style (if allowed) When my hos survive serious attempts to kill, it's because they tough biotches.

No problem Propa Gator. Writing my thoughts and ideas down helps me get things sorted out.

thanks for the rep,

regards,

setting sun

Cut the tip off a bud leaf and took this pic to check trichomes at 10 weeks:

PIC0031.jpg

I used a digital microscope toy from Toys R' Us called an "Eye Clops".

It's not real easy to focus, but when you happen to get the focus right, it's pretty cool.

SS

i dont understand this, my lowryder 2# plants are day 70 today and they are almost 130cm tall, they have huge brench's and leaves and they are keep growing, they didnt started to flower (they are outdoor from day 1)

There have been a few reports of people recently experiencing non-AF LR#2(?) plants. I don't know if all of their seeds came from the same bank or breeder or what.

Check quantuman's journal. He finally cut the lights back to 12/12 (growing inside) on some huge plants and should have a pretty nice "traditional" harvest.

Presumably, your plants will continue to grow and then will start to flower as the natural day length decreases and you start to get longer periods of uninterrupted darkness.

Hopefully the plants are in a location where their extra growth will not get them noticed and ripped.

Perhaps you can train them low to the ground (if you aren't already doing so) so that their growth is outwards instead of upwards.

Or perhaps you can devise a means to cover them with something that is light-proof for enough of the daylight hours so that the plants receive 12 hours of darkness consistently every day. If so, they should go into flower; as the seasons progress and the light period becomes shorter you should be able to dispense with the covers and the plants will continue to flower.

There have been a few reports of people recently experiencing non-AF LR#2(?) plants. I don't know if all of their seeds came from the same bank or breeder or what.

Check quantuman's journal. He finally cut the lights back to 12/12 (growing inside) on some huge plants and should have a pretty nice "traditional" harvest.

Presumably, your plants will continue to grow and then will start to flower as the natural day length decreases and you start to get longer periods of uninterrupted darkness.

Hopefully the plants are in a location where their extra growth will not get them noticed and ripped.

Perhaps you can train them low to the ground (if you aren't already doing so) so that their growth is outwards instead of upwards.

Or perhaps you can devise a means to cover them with something that is light-proof for enough of the daylight hours so that the plants receive 12 hours of darkness consistently every day. If so, they should go into flower; as the seasons progress and the light period becomes shorter you should be able to dispense with the covers and the plants will continue to flower.

Yep, lots of reports of non-auto lowryders. One other thing that delays flowering in lowryders is root temperatures below 60.

At least your harvest should be good because your plants will be much larger than usual when they do flower.

regards,

SS

Pics of trichs look awesome. They look like you went 12/12 almost straight from seed. I think one reason that they grew so tall is cause you put 4 in one pot. They will compete for height.

Pics of trichs look awesome. They look like you went 12/12 almost straight from seed. I think one reason that they grew so tall is cause you put 4 in one pot. They will compete for height.

Thanks!

They do look like 12/12 plants, but I had them at 18/6 for over six weeks and nothing. On my first grow, I think it was over *eight* weeks until I finally lost my patience and flipped them.

Actually, the four I have in the same 3 gallon pot are the shortest of this bunch. I think the tallest one is about 16". Those four ladies seem to resemble the typical lowryder more than the others.

Your comment about competition for height intrigues me. Does this also happen when you have plants in individual pots and have them close together as they would be in the same pot?

This would suggest that there is some communication going on between the plants at their roots.

I somewhat suspect, but I have no proof, that plants communicate through chemistry both at root level and above ground. Maybe they decide whether to lean male or female depending on this type of communication.

Then again, I'm pretty baked right now;)

regards,

SS

More like the leaves absorb the usable light spectrum and what reflects off can be felt by the other plants that are too close. In a way cause of the light they know that they're close to another plant so it focusses of vertical growth instead of bushing out.

Might have some competition for nutrients as well in such a situation which would keep plants "stunted."

More like the leaves absorb the usable light spectrum and what reflects off can be felt by the other plants that are too close. In a way cause of the light they know that they're close to another plant so it focusses of vertical growth instead of bushing out.

Ok, so the same thing would happen if you crowd plants in individual pots.

Thanks for the explanation, I appreciate it.

regards,

SS

Might have some competition for nutrients as well in such a situation which would keep plants "stunted."

There are a few reasons I planted more than one plant per container in my first grow and in this one.

One reason is that it worked pretty well for me back in the 70's when I was using restaurant bus trays and passive hydro. I used lava rock as the medium and managed to grow some decent bud with that system, so I just did it the same way in my first grow in a Rubbermaid tote.

The reason for doing it again on this grow was because I wanted to be able to cull out any lowryder micro phenos. I wanted to avoid transplanting and so I planted five seeds in each of two 3 gallon pots.

One pot turned out to have four females and one male, and the other pot turned out to have four males and one female.

I don't think I will be planting more than one plant per container in my future grows, however. Now that I have my grow tent, I have more room to play.

regards,

SS

Where did you get your grow tent from ? And how's it working out for you ?

Where did you get your grow tent from ? And how's it working out for you ?

I got it from some hydro shop in the midwest somewhere. I'd post a link, but I wouldn't recommend this particular vendor. Shipping took too long and when I called, the place seemed very disorganized.

My tent is a Secret Jardin DR-80. It's 31" X 31" X 63". There is a new series of tents called "Growlab" that I believe may be made by the same company.

I *love* my grow tent. It took me about 10 minutes to set up, has very reflective walls, lots of vents and ports, lightproof, and it's a good match for my current 250 HPS or possible future upgrade to 400-600.

Honestly, there is not one thing I don't like about it. The Growlab tents are supposed to be even more refined.

If you google "secret jardin grow tent" or "growlab grow tent" you should be able to find sources if you're interested in getting one.

It's not hard to make a grow box or tent, and I love DIY projects, but I'm glad I decided to buy the tent. I work full-time and have a bunch of other things to juggle in my life, so when I weighed everything out, the tent option seemed the best for me.

regards,

SS

ty very much for the help :)
well they have an extra space to grow in (as i said they already are 130cm tall and growing..
i still feed them with ATAMI products and they love it... they are huge, green and helty.
i guess from today (22/06/09) the days will start to get shorter and the nights longer so i hope they start to flower in the next 3 weeks or so, they are outdoor and have automatic watering system now wich is pretty good :)
in the meanwhile i also grow some big bangs and other stuff like blue venom wich starting to look real nice and getting some speed on the grow, i hope to see massive flowers from the lowryders 2# becuz they are insinely big to this strain they are getting closer to 1.5m ffs !

Great journal, I learned a lot here.
I´m even thinking of using my balcony space for a grow tent after summer now, so thanks for the inspiration.

Your comment just made the work of sharing my journal worthwhile.

Balcony grow sounds good. If temperatures get too cold at night, you could run your lights at night to help out with that.

I'm currently running my lights from 5 pm to 5 am for that very reason. My garage gets a bit cold at night, but having the lights on helps a lot.

In addition, I usually home from work at 5 pm;)

regards,

SS

Back
Top Bottom