Magnus8's Canna Cream, Body Butter & Canna Lotion Study Hall

When I get home, I will be putting the new butter together. My plan is to take 8oz of my infused GSO and mix it with 8oz of uninfused GSO. This should give me the same "strength" as my old recipe, since only the coconut oil was infused in that. I put it in a double boiler and add 2oz beeswax. Do you think that is too much on the Beeswax? :circle-of-love::peace:

Beeswax should be kept below 8% of your total formulation. Beyond that it can get "waxy" and act as yet another barrier to the carrier oil and the herbs.

I would like to tell you about 3 primary methods for infusing herbs in oil. And since cannabis is an herb, it, too, may be infused in various different oils this way.

First of all, let's dismiss this notion that Coconut Oil (CO) is the best oil to use when infusing cannabis. Yes, I will agree that CO might be the best oil to use to infuse cannabis when infusing for edible or some other means of taking cannabinoids into the body, such as through the use of suppositories. But for topicals, CO is NOT the best means of transmission through the skin barrier into the tissues and muscles and tendons of the body.

I am also not about to hazard a guess at to which oil IS the best oil to use to carry cannabinoids past the skin barrier into the body, since that will be the homework of the members of this study hall to figure out over time and through experimentation. Already, SuperGroomer is experimenting with infusing Grape Seed Oil with cannabis as I write this tonight.

But the fact remains that the CO molecuels are so large that they do not easily pass througgh the skin barrier. There may be other reasons why the skin will not let CO pass, but I do know that its size is one feature for this. It is just too big.

When CO is spread over the skin it remains there. It does not sink into the skin. It rests like a layer of grease on top of the skin. Any cannabinoids that are infused within it remain there, too -- on top of the skin. This is why CCO oil is not an adequate carrier for cannabinoids to enter the bloodstream, ease aching muscles, relax tightened tendons, generally to pass through the skin barrier and work that magic that cannabinoids are meant to work.

We must find another carrier oil that will perform this duty. In order to do this, we must start from a place of experience, tradition and gathered knowledge to determine an adequate carrier oil that will perform this duty for us in our formulations. And in order to test out our theories, we must infuse a lot of cannabis into a lot of oil.

This is where tonight's discussion comes into play. I will lay the grounds for how herbal medical techniques are traditionally used to infuse oils with herbal medicine.

The first technique for infusing oil with herbs:

The first technique requires no additional heat than the sun provides. It is possibly the most un-intrusive, easy and least-damaging technique to those precious oils and that even more precious cargo they are addressed to carry into the body past the skin barrier. The problem is, it takes about 2 months to perform, and who has that kind of time (at least right away, for their first 2 or 3 efforts at infusing cannabis into oil).

First, you fill mason jars with cannabis. We will take as our standard unit of cannabis measurement to be about 1 ounce of good flowers or 1.5 ounces of good trim. You fill a large mason jar with this product. Then fill to the top of the jar the carrier oil you would like to infuse. Then cover with the mason jar's cover and twist tightly. This you then set upon a sunny windosill and, as you pass by each day, give it a good shake to mix the oil up. Let sit for up to 2 months. After 2 months, the infusion should be done. Voila! You have infused your oil with cannabis.

You can discern the problems with this method without my delineating them, the primary one being time. Who has the time to wait for this infusion to finish? Unless you already have jars and jars of infused oil infused by another means to use in the meantime while you wait and wait and wait for your windowsill infusion to be done.

On the other hand, this method of infusion has the least chance of breaking down the carrier oil at the molecular level, since the only heat applied is the heat of the sun. And likewise, it has the least chance of damaging those precious cannabinoids for the same reasons. But leaving that aside, it is a very impractical method of infusing our carrier oils with our precious cargo -- our cannnabinoids.

The second technique for infusing carrier oils with herbs:

This method takes the least amount of time, and barring preparation activity, will only take you between 5 - 6 or so hours.

In this method, you take your precious flowers or trim and add it to a crockpot or slowcooker (are they not the same thing? I'm not sure exactly.). Then you add your carrier oil to the pot, turn it on high. When the oil has reached a rather hot temperature you then turn the pot to low and leave it sit for 5 - 6 hours. You may also start out your pot on low but you will need to add another hour on to your total "cooking" time. Be sure to stir at least once every half an hour.

You may already see t,he problem with this method or you may not. The high heat involved produced by the slowcooker may damage both our carrier oil and its precious cargo -- our amazing cannabinoids.

The third technique for infusing oils with herbs:

This third technique is the one I prefer to use as it has the best tradeoffs between damaging those special carrier oils and their precious cargo and the other side of the equation -- the actual time we each have in the day to devote to these persuits of pleasure. This methodology requires about two to three days of our time. When rushed it can be done over one weekend, but when trying to do as good a procedure as possible, it requires three days.

You place your flowers or trim and carrier oil into the slowcooker and turn it onto high. Watch it carefully and as soon as it reaches a high temperature turn the pot OFF. Let the oils cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally. When the oils have returned to room temp, turn the pot to high again. Turn it off immediately again. Stir and stir again. Repeat repeatedly over and over again throughout the course of two to three days.

After finishing all three methods of extraction, you must drain the oil through first a cheesecloth and then through a sieve lined with a coffee filter.

So those are the primary means of infusing carrier oils with herbal medicines used commonly in the world of handcrafting soaps and lotions, creams and body butters. I hope this information is helpful!

awesome info! (+) reps! :thumb:

Re: Magnus8's Canna Cream - Body Butter - & Canna Lotion Study Hall

Did you mod your water distiller yourself, or buy one that was already set up for it?
I bought mine already moded from a place called nutriteam a few years ago. I've really liked it it cuts out the D carb process. Pretty soon I'm going to start testing the tinctures that I make with it a just to see exactly what the cannabinoid and turpene profile is.

I believe, that since everything is closed during my processing even to the point where I keep foil over the top of my funnels that I use to filter the cannabis, I think I probably capture a lot of terpenes. At least sometimes when I make my butter I'm afraid my wife won't eat it because I can smell and taste the turpenes so strong.

Method three is the one that I use,for numerous reasons.

What is your adjustment to the method, if you don't mind me asking? Inquiring minds want to know...

I just put it in the slow cooker, get it up to the high temp of the cooker, then turn it down to low or warm for a couple of hours stirring it and pushing the herb down a few times. Then back up to high for about an hour, and repeat the low/warm for a couple of hours. This has been working well for me, it's how I started out making cannabutter before I got the Magic Butter machine.
Hope that makes sense. :)

Now, a question for you. Have you ever tried the beeswax pastilles? They are much easier for melting than the blocks of beeswax, and supposedly have the exact same qualities as blocks.

And I have emulsifying wax that is supposed to help with lotions, to keep the oil/water mix proper. Have you used the emulsifying wax?

I think one of the reasons I stopped doing home soap making is that I started getting so involved in trying different things that I felt I needed a chemistry degree. :laugh: This is a brand new process for me as well, simply because of the incorporation of the Cannabis.

:circle-of-love:

I bought mine already moded from a place called nutriteam a few years ago. I've really liked it it cuts out the D carb process. Pretty soon I'm going to start testing the tinctures that I make with it a just to see exactly what the cannabinoid and turpene profile is.

I believe, that since everything is closed during my processing even to the point where I keep foil over the top of my funnels that I use to filter the cannabis, I think I probably capture a lot of terpenes. At least sometimes when I make my butter I'm afraid my wife won't eat it because I can smell and taste the turpenes so strong.

:thanks: We had a discussion on a different thread a couple of years ago on how to home mod them to reclaim alcohol, and I never did feel comfortable with doing that. Better to buy the ones already closed and sealed up for the purpose.

Well, I'm going to try a couple of different experiments this week as well, using a couple of other oils in two different batches. I already have a batch of body butter that was mainly coconut oil, so I want to test different oils to see what seems to absorb better etc.
I made a whipped body butter, but the problem with that is you have to keep it cool or it liquefies on you quickly. Still trying to figure out how to prevent that.

I will report back what I come up with too.

Have fun everyone.

I use a completely different method than the three mentioned above. For mine I do a qwet extraction with everclear, then I put the etoh into a water distiller modified for etoh and reduce my etoh.

Once I have a set amount of cannabis infused etoh, I can put 70 mil of the extraction in with a pound of butter and I have infused butter. I can do the same for most oils, just process in my distiller.

First of all (and I knew we'd come up against this issue sooner rather than late) can we stick to common English language conventions regarding acronyms, please?

The proper way to use an acronym in written text is to spell out the words and then, after the words, and in parentheses, spell out the acronym. For example:

He went to WalMart to buy some more concentrated cannabis oil (CCO), but the store was out.

This allows for:
1). Less confusion,
2). Clearer and cleaner communication, and
3). Beginners to our boards and rooms time to learn our lingo.

After using the acronym in this manner in the first place, you may then feel free to use the acronym alone.

Please, it will help the newcomer a lot.

Okay, jingo, so what is "QWET" and ETOH".

Reading past these acronyms, I believe you are making extractions for use in edibles. In this room we are studying how to producevtopical lotions, creams and body butters -- not edible butter. You may be confused a bit.

The kind of extraction you are performing would be unsuitable for topical application as it would be very harsh, burning and drying.

Well, I'm going to try a couple of different experiments this week as well, using a couple of other oils in two different batches. I already have a batch of body butter that was mainly coconut oil, so I want to test different oils to see what seems to absorb better etc.
I made a whipped body butter, but the problem with that is you have to keep it cool or it liquefies on you quickly. Still trying to figure out how to prevent that.

I will report back what I come up with too.

Have fun everyone.

some bees wax would help.

maybe some lecithin would help keep any water/oil/fat/wax emulsified

..and if the pastilles are 100% beeswax, its great.. its like the pastilles of chocolate..same but easier to weigh, melt. :circle-of-love:

Will 1oz of wax be enough to "thicken" 16oz of oil? :peace:

I would think not. Start out with a small portion of your oil and begin with about 4% of your product. Adjust from there and report back! We're all waiting to see how it goes!!!

some bees wax would help.

maybe some lecithin would help keep any water/oil/fat/wax emulsified

..and if the pastilles are 100% beeswax, its great.. its like the pastilles of chocolate..same but easier to weigh, melt. :circle-of-love:

You could have hit the problem. I think with this whipped body butter, it was from the same batch that I wasn't sure had enough beeswax in it. So....I'm going to melt it all down gently again and add more beeswax pellets. We will see if that fixes er' up. :)

And yepper, these are 100% organic beeswax pastilles (pellets)

HI
I am happy to see your brilliance has come to shine magnus :hug: This is truly something you love to do and it is truly something HAPPY and JOYFUL for you to focus on.

Keep up the good job guys.
cannafan is :hug: always cooking up something, her posts has always been a joy to read.
supergroomer, pics when done as usual?? :)

I just put it in the slow cooker, get it up to the high temp of the cooker, then turn it down to low or warm for a couple of hours stirring it and pushing the herb down a few times. Then back up to high for about an hour, and repeat the low/warm for a couple of hours. This has been working well for me, it's how I started out making cannabutter before I got the Magic Butter machine.
Hope that makes sense. :)

Now, a question for you. Have you ever tried the beeswax pastilles? They are much easier for melting than the blocks of beeswax, and supposedly have the exact same qualities as blocks.

And I have emulsifying wax that is supposed to help with lotions, to keep the oil/water mix proper. Have you used the emulsifying wax?

I think one of the reasons I stopped doing home soap making is that I started getting so involved in trying different things that I felt I needed a chemistry degree. :laugh: This is a brand new process for me as well, simply because of the incorporation of the Cannabis.

Pastilles are just the exact same beeswax in a different shape, nothing wrong with using them. The make life MUCH easier!!!

Yes I have and do use emulsifying wax an, yes, they are used exclusively in lotion formulations -- NOT in creams and body butte4s. 8 can talk mo4e about e-wax, as it is called, when I work on my own formulation because I plan on formulating a lotion rather than either a cream or a body butter.

First of all (and I knew we'd come up against this issue sooner rather than late) can we stick to common English language conventions regarding acronyms, please?

The proper way to use an acronym in written text is to spell out the words and then, after the words, and in parentheses, spell out the acronym. For example:

He went to WalMart to buy some more concentrated cannabis oil (CCO), but the store was out.

This allows for:
1). Less confusion,

After using the acronym in this manner in the first place, you may then feel free to use the acronym alone.

Reading past these acronyms, I believe you are making extractions for use in edibles. In this room we are studying how to producevtopical lotions, creams and body butters -- not edible butter. You may be confused a bit.

The kind of extraction you are performing would be unsuitable for topical application as it would be very harsh, burning and drying.
I'm so sorry for just tossing those out there I know exactly what you're talking about. I sometimes walk into a situation where I can understand lady but he's saying.

(ETOH) ethanol, a form of alcohol safe for human consumption. Grain alcohol
(ISO) isopropyl alcohol
(QWET ) quick was ethenol extraction
(QWISO) quick wash isopropyl alcohol

So I tossed in a couple other acronyms, because people who are really desperate often will do an isopropyl alcohol wash. But, I've gotten past the original panic and expensive my cancer and my wife's cancer so now I'm willing to use go the expense of Everclear.

HI
I am happy to see your brilliance has come to shine magnus :hug: This is truly something you love to do and it is truly something HAPPY and JOYFUL for you to focus on.

Keep up the good job guys.
cannafan is :hug: always cooking up something, her posts has always been a joy to read.
supergroomer, pics when done as usual?? :)

Aaaaaaaw, shucks AngryBirdy. Thanks so much for that loverly compliment. Yes, I do truly love anything soapmaking, body butter and cream!

Make sure you're around when I begin working on my own formulation go my own lotion... Should be good times...

This allows for:
1). Less confusion,

So on the drying I'm not exactly sure where that would come from. If I Infuse an oil with my tincture and then evaporate off the alcohol. What is there to cause a drying action?

I don't polish my tinctures, meaning I don't remove the lipids waxes and chlorophylls that make it past my washing process.

So on the drying I'm not exactly sure where that would come from. If I Infuse an oil with my tincture and then evaporate off the alcohol. What is there to cause a drying action?

I don't polish my tinctures, meaning I don't remove the lipids waxes and chlorophylls that make it past my washing process.

My mistake. It is still early morning for me (and early morning is always relative!) And never having made any concentrated cannabis oil before... Well, you can hopefully see the confusion!

My mistake. It is still early morning for me (and early morning is always relative!) And never having made any concentrated cannabis oil before... Well, you can hopefully see the confusion!
I have a feeling what I want to accomplish will be difficult. I'm looking to do enough testing to make at least a 30℅ active cannabinoid rub and also lotion. I have a feeling the cannabis oil, will at that strength, be rather sticky.

Back
Top Bottom