Magnus8's Canna Cream, Body Butter & Canna Lotion Study Hall

re: Magnus8's Canna Cream - Body Butter - & Canna Lotion Study Hall

So for someone who has never made canna cream, what form does the beeswax come in? If a solid, do you melt it prior to mixing it with the chosen carrier oil or do you just heat it up/melt it in a crockpot or something with the chosen carrier oil?

Ok so I am back from the store. There are now 2 roasting bags in the oven decarbing. One has a mixture of trim from my Dream Machine, Critical Plus and mt c-99. It also has all the stems from the DM that was recently chopped. It also has a bit of assorted bud. This will be infused into 2c of Coconut oil. That will be put aside for the brownies. In the other bag is 12g assorted bud. It will be infused into 12 oz of grape seed oil.

The bags will decarbed at 230 degrees for 110 minutes. So far I have found this the best for bringing out the potency. The plan is to mix 2oz beeswax with the 12oz infused grape seed oil. The person I am making this for seems to have sensitive skin. I will not add anything else to 8oz. The other 4oz are for me to play with. I will try it first just as is and see how it works. I will also take a small amount and mix with DMSO and see if the absorption is any better.

Well that is the plan. Let me know if I should be anything else. :peace:

Subbed, this is exactly what I've been looking for ☺

Jingo,

I hope we can all help you with what you came here for! Welome to the Study Hall.

I'll sub up. My dining room and bar are currently packed with ingredients and test trials of body butters and other such cannabis infused body care. LOL Just recently made some body scrub bars that are fabulous!
This should be really helpful to me as I venture into this for sure!

Thank you for starting this thread Magnus8. :)
I have a history of making soaps at home as well, but didn't dive into much on the lotions.

This is one of the areas of infusing cannabis that is exploding on the internet. So many wonderful looking products out there to help heal our outer bodies while we are healing the inside with our oil and ingestion methods.

:circle-of-love:

Cannafan,

With your credentials, you'll be a great boon to this study hall!!!

Can't wait to see what you have to offer up to us all. There's things I can learn, too, and I'm hoping to do so through this study hall. Welome aboard. Welcome aboard, all!

Magnus, You are going to be surprised how much interest this thread will have.

Best

i am beginningn to believe you are correct, Canyon. Absolutely needed for so many of us. And as I mentioned above, i too have things to learn that will help me to concoct a wonderful lotion for myself and my brother in law's use (he has MS).

Welcome aboard!

The body scrub bars I made have ground hemp seeds in them as an exfoliate. I do incorporate beeswax, but found that my percentage in the body scrub bars may have been less than I should have. Next batch I will use more. I cannot recall at the moment how much I used on the first batch, but the bars were a bit too soft and didn't last very long. I used lavender essential oil, because of it's pain relieving, antibacterial, and calming the nerves properties. Among many other reasons of course, and it smells heavenly.

What is your suggestion for how much beeswax to add?

Using an exfoliate is a wonderful idea, though I've only ever used them in soaps I've made. Using them in a moisturizing bar is a great idea though you'd have to wipe them off afterward!

And lavender essential oil is a great one to use. you might think about combining it with Tea Tree Oil, too. TTO has antibacterial qualities and helps to relax sore and aching muscles. It's a wonderful additive to bars, creams and lotions. It has a rather strong smell, which might overpower the smell of your lavender, but it's healing qualities are second to none. I keep a bottle of straight fractionated coconut oil infused with drops of peppermint and tea trea oil by the bedside for my back and my wife-bot's arthritic hands. She often wakes in the morning and cannot even move them. Then I have to run in the FCO with the TTO and the PO just to get her hands to work. And it works! Such a simple remedy!

As for the beeswax, I would stick with between 5% - 8% of your total concoction. Above that and it can get waxy and can act as a barrier for your carrier oil and its precious canna cargo from entering the skin. The more beeswax you use, the less effective your pain relief will be.

Try considering using some thicker, solid oils into your product. Maybe Shea Butter. It is one of the best skin loving oils around. Helps t heal cuts and abrasions (I have personal proof of this) and helps to support your carrier oil in delivering its precious cargo to the muscles. The problem wth SB is that it can be a bit greasy if you use too much. I'd stick with between 2% - 5% MAX for SB.

After SB, if your concoction is too soft, still, try using LARD!

WHAT??!!? LARD? ARE YOU MAD? SICK? TWISTED?

Consider this: When settlers were learning how to farm this great land (yes I know I'm Canadian, but we had settlers too), they had no access to coconut oil, shea butter, grape seed oil, pumpkin seed oil, etc etc. Now did they? What DID they have access to? Lard. Easily produced on the farm and sold into the cities, it was used to concoct night creams with the addition of beeswax and borax to emulsify it into a smooth, creamy concoction that moisturized their dry skin (from farming the great western lands where it is very dry environment), cooled their faces, soothed their raw skin and generally was a wonderful all around moisturizer. They didn't use fractionated coconut oil, they didn't use regular coconut oil, they didn't use grape seed oil, they certainly didn't use precious olive oil. No. They used lard. An oil that was easily produced on the farm and was kept in the larder, which they had access to.

Test this out: Stick the pad of your finger onto a bar of lard and pull away the tiniest bit of it. Smooth and rub this lard into the back of your other hand and rub it there. Let it sit. After about 5 - 8 minutes, test the feel of your skin. It will be silky smooth, glass-like almost, and wonderfully moisturized. I asssure you, you will be shocked.

We cringe from using animal fats because we've become so accustomed to using only vegetable oils for our concoctions. But if you want to produce a cream or body butter that remains relatively solid at room temperatures, then lard might be your answer.

And if you STILL don't trust me on this issue, then produce a small batch of concoction using about 20% - 30% lard as one of your carrier oils. Work with it. See how it works. Feel it. Test it. Try it. You might be pleasantly surprised.

WARNING: Do not even TRY suggesting this to a vegan client!:rofl::rofl::rofl: They won't be happy about it.

It always troubles me how the healing knowledge of ages past gets lost through misinformation, prejudice and cover ups...

So glad we are in agreement on that. I have always used African Raw, and I have so much of it right now. :laugh: I personally like the nutty earthy smell myself, but a lot of people don't. This is what I smell when I walk through my dining room, I have a batch of it melting in a crock pot right now.

:thumb:

Sounds delicioous. I LOVE the scent, too. I often open my bag of it just to get a good whiff.

Mag,
Nice start.

Oil making and infusing it is practiced by everyone you have drawn to page one of your journal. A lot of the methods come from trial and error, videos, etc. The practices are evolving. However, most started with ‘Let’s try this.’ The process is not that standardized.

It would probably be a good idea to post your methods for infusion as a starting point. It would provide a base understanding of the process to those new to it and new insight for the rest of us.

Best

I will try to get to that tonight, surely. As I can think of them now, there are three primary methods of infusing oils with herbs. One of which is my favourite. I'll tell you which one when I write it up.

Thanks for the suggestion. I was getting there.

Wow! You're on the second page already! Sorry to get here late but I'm here now.

:passitleft:

Nice to re-make your acquaintance, HashGirl! Thanks, and glad you came. It WAS your idea, after all.

Ok so I am back from the store. There are now 2 roasting bags in the oven decarbing. One has a mixture of trim from my Dream Machine, Critical Plus and mt c-99. It also has all the stems from the DM that was recently chopped. It also has a bit of assorted bud. This will be infused into 2c of Coconut oil. That will be put aside for the brownies. In the other bag is 12g assorted bud. It will be infused into 12 oz of grape seed oil.

The bags will decarbed at 230 degrees for 110 minutes. So far I have found this the best for bringing out the potency. The plan is to mix 2oz beeswax with the 12oz infused grape seed oil. The person I am making this for seems to have sensitive skin. I will not add anything else to 8oz. The other 4oz are for me to play with. I will try it first just as is and see how it works. I will also take a small amount and mix with DMSO and see if the absorption is any better.

Well that is the plan. Let me know if I should be anything else. :peace:

Sounds like a great plan, SG. A Wonderful plan. Please, let us know how the absorbing goes. I'm very curious to see how well it works.

You might try spreading some of that coconut infused oil on one portion of your body and the infused grape seed oil on your body, with nothing else included, to see the difference between the absorption activities of both. I would assume (and now we're walking into the territories I need to learn more myself about) that the GSO will absorb and thereby carry the cannabinoids faster, deeper and more efficiently than the infused coconut oil.

But I'm only guessing.

Could you do that experiment for us? Inquiring minds want to know.

I'd also like to see if we can get to a point where we can find carrier oils that work so well that we don't need the GMSO or whatever it is called.

On another note, could some kind soul pm me a recipe for making GMSO? I've no idea how to make it, and I'd like to experiment with it myself when I've got some cannabis to work with.

Gawd, how I wish I were able to just walk to the dispensary and pick up some weed. Within about 3 days it will be legal for me to do so (that's when I have my medical appointment that will enable me to purchase cannabis), but I simply have no money to do so. not crying the blues here, just stating the unbiased truth of he matter. And besides, some of you may be wondering why I am not yet trying some of my own theories out yet. Because I live on government disability which doesn't cover my cannabis medication and neither does it afford much end money at the end of the month to purchase it, even from a dispensary.

wow! I had no idea! So much valuable information here!

Hey PufPufPas -- Nice to see you show up here! Glad you like what we're beginning to do together!

Sounds like a great plan, SG. A Wonderful plan. Please, let us know how the absorbing goes. I'm very curious to see how well it works.

You might try spreading some of that coconut infused oil on one portion of your body and the infused grape seed oil on your body, with nothing else included, to see the difference between the absorption activities of both. I would assume (and now we're walking into the territories I need to learn more myself about) that the GSO will absorb and thereby carry the cannabinoids faster, deeper and more efficiently than the infused coconut oil.

But I'm only guessing.

Could you do that experiment for us? Inquiring minds want to know.

I'd also like to see if we can get to a point where we can find carrier oils that work so well that we don't need the GMSO or whatever it is called.

On another note, could some kind soul pm me a recipe for making GMSO? I've no idea how to make it, and I'd like to experiment with it myself when I've got some cannabis to work with.

Gawd, how I wish I were able to just walk to the dispensary and pick up some weed. Within about 3 days it will be legal for me to do so (that's when I have my medical appointment that will enable me to purchase cannabis), but I simply have no money to do so. not crying the blues here, just stating the unbiased truth of he matter. And besides, some of you may be wondering why I am not yet trying some of my own theories out yet. Because I live on government disability which doesn't cover my cannabis medication and neither does it afford much end money at the end of the month to purchase it, even from a dispensary.

The oil is in the oven now. Everything got decarbed but I just got back to make to oil. It should be done by 10 tonight.

I have plenty from my last batch of butter so I have something to compare to. I will be starting with JUST infused grapes seed oil with beeswax. I will try that and see how effective it is before I think about adding the DMSO. :circle-of-love::peace:

So for someone who has never made canna cream, what form does the beeswax come in? If a solid, do you melt it prior to mixing it with the chosen carrier oil or do you just heat it up/melt it in a crockpot or something with the chosen carrier oil?

Hey HashGirl,

Beeswax comes a a rock-hard solid. On very warm days, it might be a little bit softer, but not much. It is very hard to cut and you will dull your sharpest knives doing so. Besides, soap and water will not clean it off your knife. Once you've used a knife on beeswax, you can kiss that knife goodbye/

I always use a hand grater to cut down my beeswax into manageable sized pieces to melt properly. If the chunks are too big, then it will take forever -- for-freaking-ever -- to melt. So, go out and purchase a hand grater from walmart or possibly the dollar store. once you use this grater on your beeswax, it will forever be your beeswax grater, for you will never be able to clean it properly enough for food preparation. So buy a new grater, one of those ones with four sides and four different sized grater possibilities. Use the side that would make nice cheese for the top of a pizza. Grate your beeswax. It will be a real chore and your hands will get sore doing it, but keep it up until you've grated enough to use. Don't bother grating more than you will immediately use because it will just stick together afterwards.

Use a double boiler to melt your beeswax. It is the safest and sanest way to do so. Again, use a double boiler that you will never use for anything else, because you'll never get the leftover beeswax out of it. Melt it that way, stirring almost constantly. Make sure the beeswax never boils. I don't think it will in a double boiler. I don't remember it ever happening to me. And melt your beeswax only until it is completely melted.

When melting, drop a few bits of beeswax into the pot and wait until it melts until adding more. Then add a few more bits. Wait until that melts. Then add some more. Etc. etc. etc. Eventually, it will all melt.

If you think this process is too ornery to actually do, think about the benefits of just melting it. As it melts, and most beautiful aroma will fill the air and suffuse the room. Melting beeswax smells like no other product on the face of this earth. You will fall under a deep spell of love with this beeswax as it melts in your double boiler. It truly is a lovely scent that you won't soon forget.

Cannafan,

With your credentials, you'll be a great boon to this study hall!!!

Can't wait to see what you have to offer up to us all. There's things I can learn, too, and I'm hoping to do so through this study hall. Welome aboard. Welcome aboard, all!

Why thank you Magnus8. I'm happy to be here for sure. Not much was available on the site for asking questions and comparing notes really.

I am dabbling with the Hemp seed oil for this skin care product venture. I have included some in a couple of balms and in the body scrub bars. Have you used any yet?

Here are some of the reported properties of it:

The fats, or lipids, in hemp oil are similar to those found in the skin. This makes it an effective moisturizer and protectant for skin. It increases the elasticity of the skin and brings new life to dry, tired or dehydrated skin.
And:
hemp oil can be used to increase immunity, counteract aging skin and improve cardiovascular health.

Hey HashGirl,

Beeswax comes a a rock-hard solid. On very warm days, it might be a little bit softer, but not much. It is very hard to cut and you will dull your sharpest knives doing so. Besides, soap and water will not clean it off your knife. Once you've used a knife on beeswax, you can kiss that knife goodbye/

I always use a hand grater to cut down my beeswax into manageable sized pieces to melt properly. If the chunks are too big, then it will take forever -- for-freaking-ever -- to melt. So, go out and purchase a hand grater from walmart or possibly the dollar store. once you use this grater on your beeswax, it will forever be your beeswax grater, for you will never be able to clean it properly enough for food preparation. So buy a new grater, one of those ones with four sides and four different sized grater possibilities. Use the side that would make nice cheese for the top of a pizza. Grate your beeswax. It will be a real chore and your hands will get sore doing it, but keep it up until you've grated enough to use. Don't bother grating more than you will immediately use because it will just stick together afterwards.

Use a double boiler to melt your beeswax. It is the safest and sanest way to do so. Again, use a double boiler that you will never use for anything else, because you'll never get the leftover beeswax out of it. Melt it that way, stirring almost constantly. Make sure the beeswax never boils. I don't think it will in a double boiler. I don't remember it ever happening to me. And melt your beeswax only until it is completely melted.

When melting, drop a few bits of beeswax into the pot and wait until it melts until adding more. Then add a few more bits. Wait until that melts. Then add some more. Etc. etc. etc. Eventually, it will all melt.

If you think this process is too ornery to actually do, think about the benefits of just melting it. As it melts, and most beautiful aroma will fill the air and suffuse the room. Melting beeswax smells like no other product on the face of this earth. You will fall under a deep spell of love with this beeswax as it melts in your double boiler. It truly is a lovely scent that you won't soon forget.

My beeswax I get comes in a 1 lb block. I use a saw to cut in in 1/4 then the grater to shave it into my butter. :peace:

Magnus it's a privilege! You and the others here are far more brilliant than I. I'm amazed. Looks like the beginning of a beautiful journal.

Thank you so very much. I appreciate your compliment so much. But it isn't brilliance. It's just training and creativity -- something I, at least, have in spades. Truly, training takes me a long ways.

Why thank you Magnus8. I'm happy to be here for sure. Not much was available on the site for asking questions and comparing notes really.

I am dabbling with the Hemp seed oil for this skin care product venture. I have included some in a couple of balms and in the body scrub bars. Have you used any yet?

The fats, or lipids, in hemp oil are similar to those found in the skin. This makes it an effective moisturizer and protectant for skin. It increases the elasticity of the skin and brings new life to dry, tired or dehydrated skin.
And:

Have you tried "infusing" the seeds into your oil, too? I would think that would releasse some of those skin loving properties that you speak of so much more into the oils. Hemp seeds have rather hard shells. Not considerably hard, but hard enough that it might hold back the goodness they contain from actually entering the oil. I would consider taking at least 1/2 of those seeds and grinding them in a Bullet or some other such device to open them up and then infusing them either with your primary carrier oil when you infuse your cannabis (together in the same pot -- no pun intended), or infusing them into another oil that you use in your concoction so that the two might mix when you produce your final product.

Just a thought.

And:

I'm so sorry, but i misread your posting. I thought you were working with hemp seeds, not the oil already deried from them. my message above was designed to release those very oils that you are already working with!

I'm such a silly ass sometimes...

Back
Top Bottom