McBudz Perpetual Journal

Great Stuff as usual.

BTW re a Diesel strain w/short flowering - you might look at Strawberry Diesel or Double Strawberry Diesel. Might be hard to find good genetics as the projects were stopped by Res about 2 years ago. But both have a nice short flowering period. The weights per m2 are not great, however - only about 450/m2.

Quick question for you: I saw you mentioned about a lb/mo yield, would you mind real quickly just summarizing sq/footage and how many plants per area, how long in veg, how long in flower, and how many of each area you have going simultaneously. I know that's all in the journal but its scattered and I'm having trouble putting all the pieces together.

Thanks for the continued lessons.

:bravo::peace::thanks::rollit:

I have an 8x4 tent with twin ebb and grow setups 1 for each side. 2 600 watt lights and a 400 in the tent. I essentially treat the 2 halves of the tent as separate rooms even though they are open too each other.

CLone for 2 weeks before vegging EZCLone 60 ABout 16 clones

DSCN07661.JPG

Veg 12 best clones in homemade 2x4 closet area with t5 and flood table 3-4 weeks. Start next batch of clones during 1st 2 weeks of veg. Need 2 weeks in cloner before going to veg.

DSCN0767.JPG

After vegging 3-4 weeks move to 1st half of the tent. (12 sites)

DSCN06981.JPG

Once ready veg the last clones you just cut for 3-4 weeks. Again backfilling the cloner with new clones within the 1st 2 weeks. Once these vegged plants are ready move to the second half of the tent.

tent runs only 12/12 and bloom nutes. Right now you have the second half filled with plants on their 1st day of flower. And the 1st half of the tent is about 4 weeks into bloom.
DSCN0571.JPG

The clones in the cloner now will eventually veg and take the place of these week 4 bloomers and then next batch will backfill the second half of the tent. Just an assembly line of green

I harvest 12 plants a month this way for about 1lb per month in a 4x4 area.

DSCN07542.JPG

Im thinking 2 weeks in the cloner and 6 weeks in veg shouldn't get to out of hand with a nice bushy short strain right?

That would be nice. You could even top or prune a bit and make nice little bushy plants in that time.

Awesome setup and plan brother!! Big time + rep!
You mentioned Sour Diesel having a long flower period, can you tell me how long? I am getting ready to run a 4'x8' room of the Sour D and don't really know what to expect with them. Thanks, and Aloha

Soma the breeder states about 10-12 weeks flower time.

Very unique smell and taste. Great High. Haven't grown it so I dont know what to tell you there. I've only smoked it.

You have a great setup and certainly know what you're doing of course. I was running the exact same setup, E&G and time in each area, but I was not consistent enough with my small plants to ensure enough weight from each crop if I stick to the time schedule exactly. You are much better at that then I used to be. Also, I wanted different flowering periods. So I added another veg area. Boy has this made a difference. I now do an early veg and a late veg. The early veg stays in the 3" pots so as not to take up space. AND if a group is delayed by a week, the early veg has enough room to hold two groups simultaneously - like a buffer. Anyways, by doing this I now don't wait the two weeks to take clones, take them immediately, and it gives me an extra 2-3 weeks in veg to top or other training. And its added about 3/4 of an ounce per plant to yield - from about 1.75 per plant to 2.5 per plant.

I know you have thought long and hard about your setup, and it works sooooo smoothly. I'm not trying to convince you, but rather get any thoughts you might have or had on the idea.

One other question: Can you talk a little about the process of going from the aero cloner to the clay. Getting the RW out of my equation totally is high on my priority list, but I've just never seen or had any real experience going from aero to clay. Are there any gochas, or is it as simple as it would seem?

Thanks THANKS! :thanks:

One other question: Can you talk a little about the process of going from the aero cloner to the clay. Getting the RW out of my equation totally is high on my priority list, but I've just never seen or had any real experience going from aero to clay. Are there any gochas, or is it as simple as it would seem?

Thanks THANKS! :thanks:

Its as easy or easier than it seems.

I wait until I have 4-6 inch roots on the cuttings. Which is usually 10-14 days from cutting. I fill bottom 1/3 of square pot with clay. Set the rooted cutting in the center. Pour clay in and around making sure to cover roots. No magic what so ever. Very easy to work with. I didn't want to work with RW either so this way really appealed to me. The less material I have to work with the better, especially if it effects pH.

Its as easy or easier than it seems.

I wait until I have 4-6 inch roots on the cuttings. Which is usually 10-14 days from cutting. I fill bottom 1/3 of square pot with clay. Set the rooted cutting in the center. Pour clay in and around making sure to cover roots. No magic what so ever. Very easy to work with. I didn't want to work with RW either so this way really appealed to me. The less material I have to work with the better, especially if it effects pH.

Awesome! That's really helpful. I am definitely gonna implement that before the next batch.

Two and a half hopefully quick questions on the cloner:

1 - What mix of nutes do you run in the cloner and do you do anything to the mom's pre-cut?

2 - Given that you have the real one, and obviously it works like a champ - if you were starting over from scratch and know what you know now - would you try to make a DIY one or still think its worth the extra $ for the kit? I am right on the edge and can't decide. Budget is getting super tight and I can't decide whether to sacrifice something else to get the aero cloner, or make one for about $75-90.

:thanks::rollit:

your growing is so nice to look at,so healthy,thats why I come to you for help.THX FOR YOUR HELP

Thanks bud!

Awesome! That's really helpful. I am definitely gonna implement that before the next batch.

Two and a half hopefully quick questions on the cloner:

1 - What mix of nutes do you run in the cloner and do you do anything to the mom's pre-cut?

2 - Given that you have the real one, and obviously it works like a champ - if you were starting over from scratch and know what you know now - would you try to make a DIY one or still think its worth the extra $ for the kit? I am right on the edge and can't decide. Budget is getting super tight and I can't decide whether to sacrifice something else to get the aero cloner, or make one for about $75-90.

I dip the cuttings in Vita Grow liquid rooting compound/hormone. (props to PV for showing us how well it works)

My Cloner gets filled with Straight RO water and thats it until 1 inch roots. (about 4-5 days) Once roots form I use a 400ppm mix of Aqua Flakes A+B. This could probably be any veg nute but I have this and want to use it up. If you dont add any nutes once the roots show up you will see the cuttings start to fade a bit and stretch out like they are hungry. Once roots show up the cuttings also try and grow. This is when light and nutes are good.

After messing around with various setups I would say that I would again in a heartbeat go with the EZ Cloner. Even if I was on a tight budget. I have the 60 site and it works great. the solution seems to stay at the right temp. the Power Cloner gets real warm and cooks the cuttings. I just want things to work and not have to worry about stupid little things so. The EZ clone 60 uses about 10 gallons of water where the Power Cloner 25 I used was about 2 gallons. This could be a big factor or it could be a better pump that runs cool.

Sometimes I wish I went with the 30 site just for smaller size but maybe it doesn't work as well due to the smaller res? Who knows.

Hey McBudz!!! I was sent your way for a question that I have. From my last harvest... I got nothing but fluffy buds. Even my Indica dominant strains that I know arnt supposed to be fluffy they still turned out that way. I had one air cooled 1,000 watt light for only 6 plants. I keep it at about 1-4 feet away from the plants. The ventilation is great. Temperatures staied between 72-85, with about a 10 or more degree drop at night. I did have my nutes around 2,100 for a few weeks, but my plants showed no signs of burning, except for the light yellowing at the very tips of the leaves. They actually looked very healthy up until the last week or two. But even then I got very few dying leaves and very little yellowing.

So I think my temps were right on... ventilation is constantly bringing in fresh air and constant air movement..... I think my light was more than sufficient for only 6 plants.... I could have taken it easier on the nutes, but the plants looked to be using them all up just fine, so I dont think it was my nutes. Could be though. Am I missing something here? If you could help, that would be awesome.

Hey McBudz!!! I was sent your way for a question that I have. From my last harvest... I got nothing but fluffy buds. Even my Indica dominant strains that I know arnt supposed to be fluffy they still turned out that way. I had one air cooled 1,000 watt light for only 6 plants. I keep it at about 1-4 feet away from the plants. The ventilation is great. Temperatures staied between 72-85, with about a 10 or more degree drop at night. I did have my nutes around 2,100 for a few weeks, but my plants showed no signs of burning, except for the light yellowing at the very tips of the leaves. They actually looked very healthy up until the last week or two. But even then I got very few dying leaves and very little yellowing.

So I think my temps were right on... ventilation is constantly bringing in fresh air and constant air movement..... I think my light was more than sufficient for only 6 plants.... I could have taken it easier on the nutes, but the plants looked to be using them all up just fine, so I dont think it was my nutes. Could be though. Am I missing something here? If you could help, that would be awesome.

Fluffy is usually something to do with light. Either not enough at the bud, or the light schedule got screwed up somewhere or light was leaking in and it tried vegging again which will stretch the buds out. 4 feet sounds far away. In an aircooled setup I'm pretty sure you can get closer than that with a 1000. I've never run 1K so I don't want to to go too close but I'd say go closer.

I should ask .. is this even the main colas that are fluffy or lateral buds that may have been too crowded? Lower buds can be fluffy due to being shaded which brings me to my first point...

Thanks bud!

I dip the cuttings in Vita Grow liquid rooting compound/hormone. (props to PV for showing us how well it works)

My Cloner gets filled with Straight RO water and thats it until 1 inch roots. (about 4-5 days) Once roots form I use a 400ppm mix of Aqua Flakes A+B. This could probably be any veg nute but I have this and want to use it up. If you dont add any nutes once the roots show up you will see the cuttings start to fade a bit and stretch out like they are hungry. Once roots show up the cuttings also try and grow. This is when light and nutes are good.

After messing around with various setups I would say that I would again in a heartbeat go with the EZ Cloner. Even if I was on a tight budget. I have the 60 site and it works great. the solution seems to stay at the right temp. the Power Cloner gets real warm and cooks the cuttings. I just want things to work and not have to worry about stupid little things so. The EZ clone 60 uses about 10 gallons of water where the Power Cloner 25 I used was about 2 gallons. This could be a big factor or it could be a better pump that runs cool.

Sometimes I wish I went with the 30 site just for smaller size but maybe it doesn't work as well due to the smaller res? Who knows.

Thanks once again. I really appreciate the answer. I really like the way you think about growing and the equipment, so I take your perspective and advice to heart. EZ Clone 30 will be ordered before my next clones are taken. Even if that means waiting an extra few weeks for an additional paycheck.

McBudz, your threads are great because people speak up and we all end up learning. It's fantastic.

Thank you for the overview - that made it much clearer, and I will be able to refer back to help my stoner's memory.

Also, about the cloners, if I understand, I think you are saying that the larger res of the bigger cloner handled the pump heat better? That makes sense, and it now makes me think about my own little 25 site cloner. I was thinking I should try it out since I spent all that dough on it. But now I wonder if I shouldn't set it up to drain to a larger res and then pump straight to the piping, back in. That would make res maintenance root-free, which might be better. I have no fear of modifying an unused piece of equipment - I rewired my 25K btu AC without ever so much as plugging it in first. ;)

This thread is fun.

Oh, and Papa Green, I have recently settled into a multi stage veg and I do like it as well. I'm planning to take that idea much farther in stage 2 of my grow.

:peace:

McBudz, your threads are great because people speak up and we all end up learning. It's fantastic.

Thank you for the overview - that made it much clearer, and I will be able to refer back to help my stoner's memory.

Also, about the cloners, if I understand, I think you are saying that the larger res of the bigger cloner handled the pump heat better? That makes sense, and it now makes me think about my own little 25 site cloner. I was thinking I should try it out since I spent all that dough on it. But now I wonder if I shouldn't set it up to drain to a larger res and then pump straight to the piping, back in. That would make res maintenance root-free, which might be better. I have no fear of modifying an unused piece of equipment - I rewired my 25K btu AC without ever so much as plugging it in first. ;)

This thread is fun.

Oh, and Papa Green, I have recently settled into a multi stage veg and I do like it as well. I'm planning to take that idea much farther in stage 2 of my grow.

:peace:

I think it may help. if it doesnt they always sell the actual EZ clone replacement pumps too ;)

Back
Top Bottom