Medical Grow

Yep. That's my recommendation. I tried something different this grow and it did not work nearly as well as the mini-hempys. Don't be afraid to let them grow a bit in those cups, 7 sets of leaves easy.

And yes, OC plus will work just fine in there, just put the prills in the lower half. The soil will provide enough nutrition until the roots get down to that level.

Try smacking your seeds into the water with a pencil eraser....sometimes an air bubble or two clings to the husk which makes them float. I'd plant them ASAP, however. You want the roots to orient themselves via gravitropism.

Wow thanks for the quick reply! You're better than a help line :)

I'm going to go smack them now, show them who's boss of this operation.

":yahoo:Gravitropism":yahoo:
I love this website:surf:

They're all planted now. All 3 fem'd seeds dropped after I smacked them, I hope that's good news. The Bubba Kush was showing something breaking out of the shell. Thanks again and back to your regularly scheduled grow.

":yahoo:Gravitropism":yahoo:
I love this website:surf:

Yep! It's the religion that plants practice.

They're all planted now. All 3 fem'd seeds dropped after I smacked them, I hope that's good news. The Bubba Kush was showing something breaking out of the shell. Thanks again and back to your regularly scheduled grow.

"They" say that when the seed sinks it's usually a good one. Make sure you leave a link to your journal!

As for my journal, I gotta take some pic this week. We've got little buds and triches.

I also had to do some emergency LST to manage the canopy. These girls are friggin tall!

That seems a bit of a stretch, how did you determine this Doc?

The plants don't eat dirt....they take in elements and simple molecules.

In the case of vegetables, really good organic taste best, but really well fed non-organic can be close behind. The organic just has more of everything the plant needs, because it's not possible to formulate a plant food that has the subtle complexities of composted organic material.

But N is N once it gets inside the plant. Same with P, S and all the others.

12/12 from the start question

Doc
I have one lone lady left of the Nirvana Northern Lights that I started. She is in her second week of flowering and doing just fine in hempy/crf.
Due to germination problems I had, Nirvana sent me 5 NL fems as replacements. I have them in vermiculite now and waiting for them to sprout.
Question I have is, can I put them directly into the same 12/12 room with the other plant? Do you need a specific strain for going 12/12 from start, or will any strain do? If it is ok to do, any pointers?

Re: 12/12 from the start question

Doc
I have one lone lady left of the Nirvana Northern Lights that I started. She is in her second week of flowering and doing just fine in hempy/crf.
Due to germination problems I had, Nirvana sent me 5 NL fems as replacements. I have them in vermiculite now and waiting for them to sprout.
Question I have is, can I put them directly into the same 12/12 room with the other plant? Do you need a specific strain for going 12/12 from start, or will any strain do? If it is ok to do, any pointers?

12/12 from the start. Bright light all the way. When they break ground they need to be greeted by the "sun." They will veg for a month and then form one long, fat, central cola.

Doc,

Can you go over your soil mixture again? I didn't understand all the shorthand, I'm a noob.

Also, I did 45+ outdoor veggie containers this summer and really like the organic Epsoma Plant Tone, it's got all your basic micronutrients. Since I'm a medical grower (and have one patient) I really want to do organic.

All Natural Organic Plant Food for Organic Gardening

As a new person in the mix of things in my neck of the woods, I'm also into reputation building. I'm not looking to pop off a ton of z's just to do volume. I want flavor, potency, organic growing, something that I and my med patients can appreciate. I'm not sure how the community at large would appreciate organic, but I think it will pay off in quality.

Hubby is going to med school in a few years and agrees with my thinking. I'm also trying to do a smaller footprint (8 x 7 room) with little to no thermal footprint so I'm thinking of incorporating really good LEDs. It's a bit more expensive but from the grow journals I've been reading (like IrishBoy) there's some good yields (19.5 oz off 4 plants) and good experiences.

Since I'm starting small, I'm only starting with clones until I get my feet wet with growing. I'm interested in some of those strains, especially the flo one....

after reading this journal, i have to admit that i have so much to learn... thank you to all that have given their input. i would gauge my level as a 4th grader compared to the Doc and others with a doctorate in Hempology. i am reading and absorbing information like a sponge.

good luck with your project. i wish you the best of luck with your endeavors. i will be keeping an eye on this journal with great interest.

whodathot, Uglymuppet:

You guys are too kind. Thanks for your support, and I'm glad you can learn from my mistakes and good decisions alike.

Whodathot:

This fertilizer looks fantastic!
Plant-tone®
5-3-3
GUARANTEED ANALYSIS
Total Nitrogen . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 5.0%
0.4%. . . . Ammoniacal Nitrogen
1.6%. . . . Water Soluble Nitrogen
3.0%. . . . Water Insoluble Nitrogen
Available Phosphate (P2O5) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3.0%
Soluble Potash (K2O). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3.0%
Calcium (Ca) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3.0%
Magnesium (Mg). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1.0%
0.6%. . . . Water Soluble Magnesium
Sulfur (S). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1.0%
Derived from: Hydrolyzed Feather Meal, Pasteurized
Poultry Manure, Cocoa Meal, Bone Meal, Alfalfa Meal,
Greensand, Humates, Sulfate of Potash, and Sulfate of
Potash Magnesia.
*Contains 3.0% Slow Release Nitrogen.
ALSO CONTAINS NON PLANT FOOD INGREDIENTS:
Contains 895 colony forming units (CFU's) per gram of the
following species:
Acidovorax facilis . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 21 CFU's per gram
Bacillus licheniformis . . . . . . . . . . . . 208 CFU's per gram
Bacillus megaterium . . . . . . . . . . . . . 208 CFU's per gram
Bacillus pumilus . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 208 CFU's per gram
Bacillus subtilis. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 208 CFU's per gram
Cellulomonas flavigena . . . . . . . . . . . 21 CFU's per gram
Paenibacillus polymyxa. . . . . . . . . . . 21 CFU's per gram
While fertilizer materials have unlimited shelf life, the
beneficial microbes in this product are best used within two
years of the production date (see side panel for production
date). After that time their numbers may be reduced.

I especially like the feather meal for the nitrogen source, as it is slow release, doesn't leach, and won't burn the plants.

Regarding your question about my soil mix.....which one? I'm using 3 different soils on this grow:

1.) Fox Farms Ocean Forest with Osmocote Plus for fertilizer. This soil was amended with my pre-plant mix and has been fortified with my "weekly" micronutrient mix as well as molasses. The pre-plant and micro' mixes can be found in this journal.

2.)Bottom half of pot Power Flower, top half of pot Manna Mix.

3.)entire pot Manna Mix, with Osmocote plus as fertilizer.

Had I not found the Power Flower, I would have used a soil mix very similar to SubCool's soil mix. There is nothing overly special about this.....it's just organic gardening 101.

On the next run, I will supplement the Power Flower with a bit of OC+. I'll also try a Power Flower/FFOF combo and see how that goes.

The FFOF mix has the largest plants by far....and the leaves are very green and waxy. These plants are budding up nicely.

The Power Flower/Manna Mix plants are also doing really well, but are more of a felt green. They are smaller than the OC+ plants but look really nice. Some of the lower fan leaves are yellowing, which I normally don't let happen, but I'm gonna let this soil do it's thing. I was told the finished product will be surprisingly good. I'm not sure which ones I like better, but it's pretty obvious which ones are larger....the OC+ wins hands down on size and rate of growth.

The ones in pure Manna Mix....which is a coco/peat based soil are having a few problems which I should be able to fix. Coco is tricky stuff....I'm not sure I like it, but I confess to being quite ignorant. It does drain very well, and retains moisture very well, so it behooves me to learn how to grow in it.

I'll take some pics today.....but suffice it to say the plants are growing really well and I should have a good harvest, barring other factors.

Doc, coconut coir tends to go more acidic if I remember correctly and thus mess up your ph balance, although it's not usually that big of a deal. I used pure coconut coir to grow my veggie seedlings with no problem but I think that's what happens.

I'm no expert either, but from making my own container potting soil this year I noticed that after I mixed everything together (I used peat moss, vermiculite, and compost with the Epsoma Plant Tone) I had to really wet the peat moss down well before placing in the container or it wouldn't absorb water later. The water would just run through the containers if I hadn't prewet them. Is that some of the issues you are having?

I also mixed big batches up at a time in an old shower curtain I had and then kept it covered until I needed it.

I do think the Plant Tone is an excellent product. You can buy it in bulk I believe and it's got all those micronutrients. I had been thinking of mixing up my own micronutrient blend this summer when I happened upon the Plant Tone and said why bother, this'll do, lol.

I think I'm going to try the Fox Farms for sure, maybe with the Plant Tone as my fertilizer. It's difficult to decide because the aeroponics looks so beguiling, but I'm kinda a dirt type of girl...I mean, it's what plants grow in, just makes sense to me....

Hey Doc, just curious. How much molasses per gallon of water and how often do you give it to them. I want to make sure my ladies are sweet and healthy.

plant waterer

Doc,
Don't mean to be a pain in the a-- with all the questions, but you give good advice, and if you don't konw the answer to what someone asks, which is rare, you don't bs.
So my next questions is have you seen these, or similar devices, and would it work with OC+ if watered from the bottom.
I bought one last Christmas and it works great for a few house plants I have tried in it, just using a little Peters.
pointsettia_waterer.jpg

I have seen dog water bowls like this that have a larger jug at Walmart. Only lets water out when level in the bowl drops.
And how do I donate points to you and do you want them?

Doc, I've been gone for a couple of months, but am back and am happy to report I am caught up on your journals here. Things are lookin great! Thanks for all of your hard work bro.

Welcome to the latest journal!

Doc, coconut coir tends to go more acidic if I remember correctly and thus mess up your ph balance, although it's not usually that big of a deal. I used pure coconut coir to grow my veggie seedlings with no problem but I think that's what happens.

I'm no expert either, but from making my own container potting soil this year I noticed that after I mixed everything together (I used peat moss, vermiculite, and compost with the Epsoma Plant Tone) I had to really wet the peat moss down well before placing in the container or it wouldn't absorb water later. The water would just run through the containers if I hadn't prewet them. Is that some of the issues you are having?

I also mixed big batches up at a time in an old shower curtain I had and then kept it covered until I needed it.

I do think the Plant Tone is an excellent product. You can buy it in bulk I believe and it's got all those micronutrients. I had been thinking of mixing up my own micronutrient blend this summer when I happened upon the Plant Tone and said why bother, this'll do, lol.

I think I'm going to try the Fox Farms for sure, maybe with the Plant Tone as my fertilizer. It's difficult to decide because the aeroponics looks so beguiling, but I'm kinda a dirt type of girl...I mean, it's what plants grow in, just makes sense to me....

The plant tone was missing a few nutrients, but if you're in good soil, you're probably OK. Keep an iron/zinc product on hand, just in case, but that fertilizer looks really nice. Thanks for sharing it.....great find.

Hey Doc, just curious. How much molasses per gallon of water and how often do you give it to them. I want to make sure my ladies are sweet and healthy.

I use 1 tbsp per gallon and do it about every 3rd watering.

Doc,
Don't mean to be a pain in the a-- with all the questions, but you give good advice, and if you don't konw the answer to what someone asks, which is rare, you don't bs.
So my next questions is have you seen these, or similar devices, and would it work with OC+ if watered from the bottom.
I bought one last Christmas and it works great for a few house plants I have tried in it, just using a little Peters.
pointsettia_waterer.jpg

I have seen dog water bowls like this that have a larger jug at Walmart. Only lets water out when level in the bowl drops.
And how do I donate points to you and do you want them?

If the water washes over the prills it would work.....give it a try with a non-critical plant as see what happens.

Thanks for the great information Doc. Im pot commited. Just placed my seeds in paper towel. Very excited about the OC+ and hempy cups. Going to keep it as simple as possible. Thanks for your hard word.

wct

You're welcome. Glad to be of help, and you're gonna like the OC+. Just keep the temps in spec.

Update:

I LST'd the OG Kush and Jack Herer as best I could. They're growing friggin tall!

Note to self: consider much more aggressive canopy management actions when growing highly sativa dominant plants!

Everything else is just going great, with the exception of 2 plants I have in a coco mix with OC+. These plants are acting really weird and are starting to scare me. They're green and growing, but are twisted up and freaky. If they start bugging me, I'll throw them out. Coco is a different medium for sure. These two are just experiments.....and I'm not sure if I want to tackle coco growing right now. I think I'll let others do the heavy lifting first, and copy them. :rollit:

All these pics are during lights out, so the plants are sleeping. They perk right up with the lights on, so they don't look quite so pathetic at all.

Also, while my grow skills are improving, my camera skills seem to be deteriorating.....

Summary so far:

OC+ in FFOF is growing big, furious plants. Nice and green, lots of bud sites.

Power Flower in lower half, Manna Mix in top is growing some lovely plants as well, but I'm starting to get some yellowing of the lower fan leaves and I'm just in the 3rd week of flower. I'm gonna top dress with a handful of OC+

Manna Mix and OC+ is not working nearly as well. The ugly plants in the smaller containers are this mix. The lighter green ones with the frosting are the Power Flower, and the huge, lanky Sativa's are the OC+/FFOF plants.

The garden smells fabulous! The bugs are all dead. Temps, rH.....all right where we want them.
IMG_11446.JPG

IMG_11425.JPG

IMG_11414.JPG

IMG_11533.JPG

IMG_11523.JPG

Does anyone else notice that leaves freak out a bit the day after LST? I can't believe how fast the stem turned into the light.
IMG_11513.JPG

IMG_11504.JPG

IMG_11494.JPG

IMG_11475.JPG

See the twisted up thing? that's a violator kush in the coco mix. Yuk.
IMG_11466.JPG

IMG_11453.JPG

Back
Top Bottom