MissBud and Her K-Train

ggrant:

I couldn't agree more friend!:Namaste::thanks:

The runt is swamped in love :circle-of-love:

It's almost time for me to give the big kid a spanking to slow down lol:smokin:

Alaskan1:

I am honoured to have you here friend! :Namaste::circle-of-love::cheer:

Ya it sucks, Canada seems to be changing quite a bit with a lot of things =(.
Despite that, I'm pretty confident and even if he doesn't sign them, I will live to fight another day.

:thanks: very much for stopping by friend, I sincerely get great vibes from you :love::love:

SmokzAlot:

I like your tile Smokz :popcorn:;):smokin:

I also couldn't agree more about the runt =)

Sometimes it seems the weakest plant in veg can be the strongest overall :scratchinghead:

Also, thank you very much for showing me some close up's of your sativa...I'll keep that in mind :cheesygrinsmiley::thanks:

As far as B&D or being tied down, it depends on who's doing the tying down... Under the right circumstances, could be kinda fun! ;)

Good advice on propping up the little one. Always best to keep them as even as possible - Propa's right, the runt will get overwhelmed otherwise and never really produce well. They look oh so healthy and happy as always Missbud! :)

Update.

Sooooooo....lol

I botched the effing fimm's!!!:surrender::rollingeyes::straightface:

It's been a week since I've cut them and I'm only seeing like 3 weird shoots on both.
So I have been doing some research and it looks like I cut some of the fan leafs =(
Next time around I will make sure to spread the new shoots apart so I can micro surgically remove it lol:smokin:

I'm not really too sure if I should wait this all out or step in and take action? It looks really odd and doesn't seem to be growing much. I could take a pic if no one understands what I am talking lol:Namaste:

Update.

Sooooooo....lol

I botched the effing fimm's!!!:surrender::rollingeyes::straightface:

It's been a week since I've cut them and I'm only seeing like 3 weird shoots on both.
So I have been doing some research and it looks like I cut some of the fan leafs =(
Next time around I will make sure to spread the new shoots apart so I can micro surgically remove it lol:smokin:

I'm not really too sure if I should wait this all out or step in and take action? It looks really odd and doesn't seem to be growing much. I could take a pic if no one understands what I am talking lol:Namaste:

You could probably just let it go, but what I did when I goofed my FIM (goofy as that sounds) is just re-snipped it below like a regular topping - which worked fine for me. I'm sure it'd be fine to let it be, too, but maybe an experience FIM'er can weigh in on that.

Xlr8:

LOL! :laughtwo::clap:

I guess sometimes there is a time and place for everything??:scratchinghead::smokin:

But on a serious note lol, I thank you for your advice and stopping by amigo!:Namaste::thanks:

I have now propped the runt up, but only to prevent it from gettin eaten by a gator! :grinjoint::loopy::blunt::surf:

Xlr8:

Dang X, your too fast for me!!! lol!!:rofl::laugh::dreamy::goof::kisstwo:

The plan will now be to "re-top" the disobedient child (hopefully that will stunt her some), and let the other grow out depending on growth. If things start to get real funky on the botched one I'll just re-top it too :cheesygrinsmiley:

:thanks::thanks::circle-of-love::high-five:

Topping a Plant
1. Locate the very top of your plant and cut through the main stem just below the newest growth. This should be done after the 3rd or 4th leaf set but can be done at any time after the 3rd leaf set.

2. Shows Plant Top cut off and where the 2 new Branches that will form a "Y" in the main stem will grow from.

3. Shows the newly topped plant after 2 days of growth, notice the Y in the Stem Forming.

Topping5.jpg

FIM Technique
There is a topping method known as the FIM technique. If you push the leaves apart at the very top of the plant you should see a small bud (not flowering bud but an actually leaf bud). Use a pair of nail clippers to pinch off about 3/4 of the bud. This should result in more than two top colas being developed. In a single FIM clipping you can produce up to eight new top colas.

The origins of this technique are humorous. As the story goes, FIM was discovered accidentally when a grower messed up a topping exercise. FIM stands for: "Fuck I Missed".

FIMMING A PLANT!

Fimming is actually no different that topping. What fimming does is virtually the exact same thing, only you're leaving part of the new growth. This only takes off part of the new growth, which is very hard to see.

What this ends up doing is making it seem as if your getting 4 new tops right next to each other when its actually only 2 at the very top (like topping) but since it was cut so closely to the next newest set of fan leaves, 2 branches which would have formed there anyways seems to make it look like there are 4 new tops.

FimDiagram.jpg

This is how you go about doing this.

1. Locate the very top of the new growth

FIM15.jpg

2. With a clean sterilized scissors, Fold the fan leafs over and cut approximately 80% of the new growth off the plant.

FIM24.jpg

3. View from the top showing the Cut

FIM33.jpg

4. View of the Cut section after 2 days growth, showing the 4 new growth shoots (branches)

FIM42.jpg

Thats IT!!!! you should be well on your way to Topping and Fimming of your plants.

niiice job miss bud! i prefer topping than FIM, it creates much more predictable results, but if you don't care about how many tops you have go for FIM. You can prune a lot to redirect grow-hormones

Agreed, topping is my choice also...

Topping and Fimming,

In my last grow, I topped and fimmed each of my plants at least twenty times each. That's at least 80, but more likely 100 in all.

Most of the times when I tried fimming, it didn't work.The fimmed part at the top just died and the result was the same as topping, i.e., the two side shoots grew to become new colas.

When I was successful, the fimmed part didn't die, but continued to grow as if it hadn't been topped at all. However, the two side shoots grew as well, so I ended up with three colas.

This was consistent with all the fims I did. I don't know about people getting four to eight colas, I always got exactly three, no more, no less.

And, although it was interesting, I don't think it added any more volume to my crop. I'll probably try it a few more times for fun, but I doubt it's any more productive (yield-wise) than topping.

Hey Miss Bud! Have you gone to see your doctor yet? Or is that next week?

Enquiring Minds Want To Know !

Man, woman, I am just now seeing this. Gonna have to sit on my throne and play catch up. I should be around more often now since I have internet access for the moment...But to chime in on the tale end, I like to top though I have never tried FIM unless I did it unknowingly. Gonna check out Grant's pics and do some further investigating. But I am here sista girl.

Topping and Fimming,

In my last grow, I topped and fimmed each of my plants at least twenty times each. That's at least 80, but more likely 100 in all.

Most of the times when I tried fimming, it didn't work.The fimmed part at the top just died and the result was the same as topping, i.e., the two side shoots grew to become new colas.

When I was successful, the fimmed part didn't die, but continued to grow as if it hadn't been topped at all. However, the two side shoots grew as well, so I ended up with three colas.

This was consistent with all the fims I did. I don't know about people getting four to eight colas, I always got exactly three, no more, no less.

And, although it was interesting, I don't think it added any more volume to my crop. I'll probably try it a few more times for fun, but I doubt it's any more productive (yield-wise) than topping.

Hey Miss Bud! Have you gone to see your doctor yet? Or is that next week?

Enquiring Minds Want To Know !

Hey there ggrant - Nice posts on topping and fimming.

I also wanted to say how impressed I am with the care and effort you put into so many of your posts and contributions here. I see your efforts almost every day, and you clearly go out of your way to be helpful to many. Anyway, kudos. You're truly deserving of Member of the Month consideration in my book, in fact I'm going to cast MY vote your way.

+rep for the great post, too.

On fimming and topping: I tried fimming but didn't quite have the knack for it or the patience, and have just topped since. I've been topping above the second true node once the plant gets to about 7-8 nodes. Sometimes this is referred to as Uncle Ben's Topping or UBT. If done in conjunction with a small amount of training, you get (4) main top (top one more level up, and you'll get 6 main tops). The cool thing is, if you want to limit stretch, you can carefully run those 4 tops laterally and let the center bush out more for a shorter, wider plant with many tops. I'm growing Sativa dom plants right now, and it's really helped. I also just top to keep things even sometimes. Anyway - nice post!

Warning...Longest post ever lol:Namaste::love:

Alaskan1:

Lol I thought I knew why I was doing!!...

Let me know if you learn first cause me ain't doing so well!:loopy::rollit::smokin::laugh:

Also thank you for reppin ggrant for that! =)

:thanks: for stopping by friend

ggrant:

Well, just look at you! :bravo:...

I also think you would be a great winner in motm :circle-of-love::Namaste:

Your too awesome, and I'm sending all my vibes your way!:love::love:

My appointment is just over a week away , and I'm getting a little nervous but hopefully their good ones lol(time's slowing down on my end compared to you guys!!! LOL):helpsmilie:

Now about that info you posted...:thanks:!!

That is a perfect article you provided there ggrant, thank you too much!!!

Super detailed, and I can tell it has a special touch to it :love::circle-of-love:

Your presence means the world to me friend :hug:

Siscokid:

My friend, even if you never stopped by I wouldn't feel any different.

The feelings I have for you are pretty special amigo, and I just feel so happy knowing you. That might sound corny or whatever but seriously...Honestly when I'm in a rush/bad mood/late I'll think of you guys and the "secret" family I have here lol...You all affect me more than you know:love::circle-of-love:

And yes, my determination has reached it's peak ;):smokin:

:love::love::love:

WoCha:

Thank you so much for your tips and chiming in friend!!:circle-of-love::thanks::well done:

I've been pretty busy lately but I saw your video you posted and that was freakin awesome!!!:thanks::bravo::high-five::Namaste::circle-of-love:

You are a natural and I am all ears friend =)...It seems I botched the fim's so I re-topped them :circle-of-love:

ThatBoyDean:

You the man TBD!!:circle-of-love::circle-of-love::cheer::Namaste::high-five::thanks:

I'm always very interested in what you have to say:popcorn:

:thanks: for stopping by!!

QueenTokeLove:

Queen, I more than understand what your going through and I admire you the most. It's great to see things are on their way up and I couldn't be any more ecstatic =)!!

You would be an awesome winner for motm girl!!

The fact that you actually maintained your journal was astonishing to me...that really put you in my books if you hadn't been already...(don't worry, you were lol!) :circle-of-love::love:

It's awesome to hear all this advice, thank you so much chica topping did it for me to! =)

Really, thank you for stopping by:love:

Xlr8:

Ahhhh, I am in a rush as we speak but I wanted to write a big one for ya! =):Namaste::high-five:

I'm sure you've seen even more of the man than I have but from I've seen ggrant is super awesome!!!(L)...Just a very educated, kind, detailed and social able human being...Keeep it up ggrant!!

Now for you friend....

I also think you are a very deserving winner for motm. You've helped me since me very first seedlings and you have a special place in my heart. I really don't even know where to start with you?....but really....:thanks:

(LOL I've read/bookmarked all your posts on topping/fimming and UBT....so uber thanks!! haha)

:thanks: too much for your vibes and presence amigo!!!

xlr8 - thanks for the compliments!

This topic has been beaten to death a bit, but I posted some nice pictures about 4 months ago in my journal on topping and fimming. I thought I'd repost them here, so people can see what a top and fim looks like on a real grow and not some tutorial.

Topped #1

Top112.jpg

Topped #2

Top213.jpg

Fimmed #1

Fim14.jpg

Fimmed #2

Fim23.jpg

In the two Topped pictures, you can see where the node that was topped died and left a stub.

In the Fimmed pictures, you can see where the node that was fimmed and didn't die. The leaf sets from the Fim are also shown. You can see that they haven't developed into anything and just remain as leaves that eventually die.

The next follows the results of an actual Fim over the course of several days. This plant was topped and then EACH of the topped shoots was fimmed, i.e., there are two fims.

Actual FIM in Progress

Just Fimmed

JustFimmed.jpg

Fimmed One Day

FimmedOneDay.jpg

Fimmed Two Days

FimmedTwoDays.jpg

Fimmed Six Days

FimmedSixDays.jpg

You can see that the two fimmed tops look like pigtails on a little girl, so I call this plant Miss Pigtails.

Thanks for the kind words. I do the best I can with my journals. I wish I could be as technical as some on here but that is just not me. I am the keep it simple type of person. I feel like when a new person comes here, there is so much info to absorb that it be a bit overwhelming as it is. Then you go on to read some of the journals with a the techy stuff and it kinda confuses you more. Not knocking anyone's journals just saying. I know I could be a bit more informative. I will try to be with the next journal I do.

As for the motm...Let's just say from your lips to the Goddess' ears. This makes the 3rd month that I have been nominated. But there are such outstanding people running with me, giving such great advice, that I don't believe I stand a chance really. I do what I do not for the reward of winning but just for the love of growing. My time will come when it comes, I guess.

Isnt Grant, the greatest? That's why I nominated him for motm. You are too, that is why I nominated you before.

Back
Top Bottom