My first grow. California Dream

It should be fine for your babies. I haven’t got around to lst yet but I am very curious. My space is about 3' x 3' x 6' and I can fit about 4 plants that reach around 3.5' high when harvested. I think with a little effort I could possibly get another one in there but I had humidity/heat problems back in July so I decided to wait until fall (now yey!) before I begin another cycle. I wish you the best of luck. Indoor growing has been one of the most therapeutic experiences of my life. It's like raising children that pay you back many times over for all the love you give them.

Well, i still havnt figured out what was wrong with them, so i started a couple more with the paper towel method.

Im going to try transplanting a couple into the rockwool method again. and try a couple directly into my FFOF.

Now from what i understand, and if someone could verify that would be awesome. I dont need any light on these new seedling until the seed shell has popped above the surface of my medium, THEN i place under my light correct?

Well. Update.
So like i said, im only going to use soil this time around. pass the rockwool part.
I have my seeds by amsterdam seeds. California dream feminized seeds, and 20 randoms. I set up 5 CD seeds in the paper towel not even 24 hours ago and all 5 have already cracked and the root is beginning to show, and i set up 5 of the random ones in red cups, hoping to get some type of goody treat in there.
I am being much more careful this time around, and i think that by passing the rockwool step, i will be able to not fuck up. :)
Here we go again. Wish me luck.

Well, i skipped the rockwool part and put them right into soil after germination, already doing better than my first attempt, plus i have my actual seeds.
Alright another update. Put the seeds in the cups with the soil on the 29th so, two days ago. And here we are. i removed the humidity dome earlier today, and they are still doing ok. Temp is 75-82 and humidity right around 35%-40%
Im using FFOF soil, stickin with flouros for another week or so, then flippin on the MH lamp.
I had 5 california dream feminized seeds, that are all doing great, one of which a little slower just breaking through the shell case.
IMG_0890.jpg

I bought the seeds form amsterdamseeds, and they threw in 20 randoms, so i started 6 of those. One hasnt broke the surface yet, but the other 5 are all doing as well as the california dream.
IMG_0891.jpg

and heres the the group
IMG_08921.jpg

Much Improved germination results! Feminized seeds to boot!! Way to go mesrone! Did you mention how big your MH light is?.... Great job Buddy!!

hey Mes... Just checkin in. Lookin good bro. A couple things if I may:

I may have an answer to your rockwool mystery. Assuming your ph & all that stuff was OK and you didnt over/under water & your lighting was within tolerance in terms of wattage and distance, your problem may have been as simple as making sure to compress the rockwool area surrounding the stem once the seedling sprouts. I suspect this because from your first pics, I can see the rockwool planting holes are not compressed/compacted around the seedling stems.

What happens is the seed shell itself, as it is being pushed towards the surface, can create a void in the rockwool allowing air to enter the now exposed root system(Very common.) Unlike soil, where simple watering will keep the stem area closed & compacted, rockwool cubes have to be gently "kneaded" around the stem. I use the eraser end of a pencil to gently compress/close the hole around the stem, again, once the shell clears the rockwool. The rockwool cubes are pretty bullet proof & easy to work with if you pay attention to 2 primary details. Avoid letting the cubes dry out & keeping the stem area compacted. Somethin for the future.

Your last pics. You may or may not be headed for trouble with your lighting set-up. Your bulbs appear to be 150watt flouros? If the case and it looks like you have 3, that's 450watts of lighting. IMO, that's a lot of light for seedlings. Some will say no problem, me I use 2- 40watt T-5 tube flouros for the first couple of months w/seedlings. These allow me to keep the lites 2-6 inches above the seedlings and control excessive stretching. Too strong of lite the seedling can grow too fast, resulting in a spindly & weak stem and things can quickly get all out of whack. A common problem with over-lighting is the stem & the first leaves get out of balance. Too large of first leaves before the over stretched stem can handle the upper leaf weight. Something to watch for with your set-up.

"Flippin" to an HD in a week or so? I cant imagine throwing a 3-4 inch seedling under an HD so soon. My seedlings dont see the big lights until they reach 6-8 inches (several months) simply because it's just too much light for seedlings to process too soon. Go slow bro. :peace: Youll get there...peace n good luck MF

Mes, these plants were "hardened off" from bein beneath 2-40w 4ft flouros apprx 2 weeks ago and put under the 600w. They were kept under the flouros for a month or so. As you can see, they were of good size before they hit "the big lites". Hope this gives ya an idea...peace n good luck...MF

Having trouble postin the pic...workin on it...LOL

I cant get the photo thing done...Must not be holdin my tongue right...LOL For the time bein, go to the photo gallery. Look under MeddieFreddie. I cant seem to get the pic from there to here. I'll stay after it...MF

full

hm, im searching for it and nothing..
but thanks! your right i didnt compress the hole down, a stupid mistake, but it totally makes sense! oh well, the soil is working great!
well, the flouros i have seem to be working GREAT. nice growth goin on right now, and noticeable changes every couple of hours! so i think the flouros are working out fine.
I am worried a little about strethching, BUT i do have good fans set up to strengthen the little ones.
the intake fan (black one0 looks a little janky on the inside, but its sealed up tight with the black poly and gorilla tape around the outside, think theres a picture on the first page. but thats producing a decent breeze on the inside with the white fan.
IMG_08953.jpg

and as you can see, even from last night with those flouros, they are gettin a little bigger. so i will keep trying with those lights, the plants seem to love them
IMG_08962.jpg

and thanks for the encouragement Weed! im using a 400w MH conversion bulb to work with my 600w ballast.
and now i just need to figure out the watering. seems like the soil is so dry, i watered yesterday, and it just feels like the soil is already dry. now, should i be putting enough water in to get runoff?

One more try Mes...These were under the T-5s for a month or so before going to the big lites...I use the big 150watt floros like yours for side lighting on my 4 ft plants...Keep up the good work, you are a trooper...:peace: peace n good luck pard... MF

DSC_00122.jpg

yeah having side lights seems like it would be a huge help. im gunna keep those flouros going throughout the whole cycle, leave them hangin for added light to the lower parts.
and yeah i see what you are saying about the HID. but i dont want to wait a month to switch them on. from what ive read you can turn the MH on after a couple of weeks right?

what kind of strain is that? they are healthy lookin buggers
and thanks greenblood! i hope it works out as well as im hoping!

Back
Top Bottom