My Mystery Indica Reveg

Monster cropping should be awesome in a scrog, will be extremely interesting to see!

In case you missed the intro to this journal, this baby is monster cropped, although not from a clone, but a reveg of a sad little girl I found late in the season. It's just such a shame I had to chop so much off as a circle only has so many degrees and she has always been bushy as fuck. Monster cropping with an early scrog holds no such constraints. And using four bud clones will hasten the grow immensely.

I already have half a dozen little clones sitting at the edge of pot that I just shoved there before deciding to scrog hoping they might just help to fill the space (better late than never, I thought) and I'm wondering if these will survive well enough until harvest to reuse. Thus saving a shit load of time with rooting them when it comes time to reveg. Time will tell.

So, she has just woken up and I've done a bit more tucking and there are now 51 vacant squares. I don't know about you, but it sure doesn't look over 50% empty to me :) That being said, many of the squares currently have up to 4 separate branches in them and it will sure take some jiggery pokery to even it out to only one branch per square. :allgood:

So, just a few progress shots.

You may notice the picture quality has suddenly improved. It's not due to a different camera, but due to me having a Doh! moment and remembering I have image processing software :laughtwo::party:
WIN_20161221_23_22_17_Pro.jpg
WIN_20161221_23_22_04_Pro.jpg
WIN_20161221_23_11_37_Pro.jpg
WIN_20161221_23_11_15_Pro.jpg

So, it is a while since I have updated and feel the time is now ripe.

Previously, due to burning of the tips of the leaves and the 'claw', I concluded that the little lady was suffering from nute burn. As I proposed, I cleaned out the reservoir and flushed it for in excess of 24 hours before restarting on 50% nutes. However, she still did not seem to be responding very well and the ph was climbing crazily - from less than 6 to 7.5 in less 12 hours, but let me back track.

When researching PH control, I thought I could use vinegar as a ph down solution and decided to check. Many people suggested this was fine, whilst others said DO NOT USE VINEGAR without explaining why. So, I used vinegar to lower the ph and I was chasing my preferred ph of between 5.5 and 6 three or four times a day in an effort to try and control it, but all to no avail. I suspected that I could have an algae problem, so completely covered my reservoir with black pvc in an effort to combat this. Yes, there appeared to be some slight green algae in the expanded clay pellets, but nothing that would convince me that algae was responsible for the rapid ph rise. I noticed there was a creamy coloured gelatinous slime growing on the sides of the reservoir, but I would never have identified that as algae (yes, I know it can be different colours). I have since determined that this is the residue of the vinegar breaking down!! Finally, I happened upon a post somewhere that claimed that vinegar was actually responsible for the ph rise due to the manner in which it broke down (pity I didn't keep the link). Therefore, I resolved to get some phosphoric acid ph down. However, due to my physical isolation, I had to resort to ordering online. That shit took nearly a week to arrive, so I was left in the catch 22 situation of using vinegar to control the spiralling ph or changing the nutrients on a daily basis. When the phosphoric acid finally arrived, I completely cleaned out the reservoir and started the 50% nute solution again. Problem solved! Sure, as the darling took up nutrients, the ph rises slightly as expected, but very slowly and manageable.

Advice to all noob hydro growers - Never, ever use vinegar to lower your PH. Pay a little bit more for a high percentage acid and set your mind at at ease.

Even though she was suffering, she was still bushing out like crazy and I've had to severely prune on two separate occasions.

Let me just add that most of my outdoor experience has been with sativa dominant strains with a relatively large difference between internodal growth compared to this stocky bitch, and I have always LSTed to improve yield. My original goal was to super crop, lst and scrog to get this girl to fill my 4' X 4' space, but she has had other ideas, with the lateral shoots growing almost as much as the main tip and, therefore, being far too bushy (I understand that this is probably due to being revegged) . In retrospect, I should have take clones earlier on in the reveg phase and used quantity to fill the space rather than rely on the vertical growth converted to lateral growth to achieve the same result with one single plant. Rather late to the party, I have now done just that and taken two growing tips and used them in an attempt to fill the space instead. As an FYI, I do not have cloning root powder and always act on the spur of the moment, so have simply stuck the clones in the expanded clay pellets with the dripper affording a constant source of moisture - after 13 hours they are pert and lively. What all this means is that my harvest will be delayed by at least an extra month from what I anticipated, but should still come close to providing my expected yield.

Furthermore, I have not set up a scrog screen, but have been utilising supercropping and coat hangers as weights to hold the growing tips down. Now, this is cumbersome and not very practical so I will purchase lead fishing weights and will attach them with plasticised wire ties rather than using a scrog screen as I believe this is a far more practical solution for me than affixing the screen to the growing pot as weaselcracker has done.

I'll take and uploads pics tomorrow as I can't be arsed doing so right now. I just wanted to pass on my experience to other noobs who can benefit from my trials and tribulations and avoid the same mistakes.
Just a little trick..alot of people have aloe plants or know someone who does but if u squeeze aloe plant till it gets slimy and mushy it acts as a great cloning agent

Sent from my 5054N using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Thanks for that excellent tip, cannoisseuras!
I've had and used aloe for many things in the past and it was always part of my medical kit when I lived in warmer climes. But now I've moved back to the polar regions it doesn't grow so well. :(

I wonder if you could just stick your clones into a leaf and leave it to root? Any idea on the PH?

Back
Top Bottom