N420 Grows Barney's Farm Orange Sherbert & Special Guests

I always seem to run into this with the florescent I start them under probably because of the dome being tall so the light is to far away. I was washing my 1 gallon fabric pots today to get them ready for these girls. You are so right on the price of seeds I was actually checking out seedsman this afternoon and saw a couple of Barney's that caught my eye that I may just have to order
I go direct to barneys for their fresher harvested seeds. delivery to uk is only about 5 days. never had an issue with any delivery/order and as they sponsor here , you can get a 420 discount and free beans too. I am scoping seeds constantly and in my head , have enough now for next decades run !!. lol
I use them too mate. t5 200w. Thankfully i can put them virtually on top of the prop to limit the stretching. Might be useful to maybe only half fill the germ pot , then you can add soil/coco as it starts to stretch for stability. I use a toothpick as a matter of course now. small enough to fit the pots without fear of catching them with prop top . fingers crossed for you mate.
I have a sponsored fast buds auto run next ( sept 19) and am excited to try their genetics too. never done autos before so should be fun !.

I moved the Gz into the tent tonight and put them under the bigger led. I dimmed the light as low as it would go and hung it 32 inches above the plants. After an hour or so I went down to check my temps and humidity it was 71 degrees and 56% rh the plants seemed to be responding well to the new environment.

I gave one of the girls a bit of support using a paper clip because she was so stretchy ( thanks Gg)
20190728_204004.jpg

Unfortunately I found some silver streaks on one of the plants and after a closer look I found this
20190728_190849.jpg
20190728_204212.jpg

The little brown spot on the first picture is a thrip:( I am going to start spraying them soon but wonder if they are to young to spray?

Here is the rest of them no thrips on them as far as I can tell
20190728_204140.jpg
20190728_204056.jpg
20190728_204038.jpg
20190728_190959.jpg
Good catch mate on the thrips. They are bastards , prof has been battling them a while too. try a 20% milk/water in a sprayer with a touch of washing up liquid ( dish soap). It will kill unwanted soft bodied pests and wont harm your plants. if you soak the top layer of soil too , it will hopefully catch the emerging ones too. a layer of sand on top of the soil can stop them getting in and out to lay eggs too. i sadly lost 6 clones in this run to spidermite , 3 months old too. Thankfully had the Barneys girls as back up.

I moved the Gz into the tent tonight and put them under the bigger led. I dimmed the light as low as it would go and hung it 32 inches above the plants. After an hour or so I went down to check my temps and humidity it was 71 degrees and 56% rh the plants seemed to be responding well to the new environment.

I gave one of the girls a bit of support using a paper clip because she was so stretchy ( thanks Gg)
20190728_204004.jpg

Unfortunately I found some silver streaks on one of the plants and after a closer look I found this
20190728_190849.jpg
20190728_204212.jpg

The little brown spot on the first picture is a thrip:( I am going to start spraying them soon but wonder if they are to young to spray?

Here is the rest of them no thrips on them as far as I can tell
20190728_204140.jpg
20190728_204056.jpg
20190728_204038.jpg
20190728_190959.jpg
Love the paperclip even more than my toothpick mate. simply brilliant. nice one. keeps her 100% mobile and wont allow her to fold either. wont see no stinky rubbish toothpick in my grows again. "The Toothpick is dead , long live the Paperclip".

I go direct to barneys for their fresher harvested seeds. delivery to uk is only about 5 days. never had an issue with any delivery/order and as they sponsor here , you can get a 420 discount and free beans too. I am scoping seeds constantly and in my head , have enough now for next decades run !!. lol
I use them too mate. t5 200w. Thankfully i can put them virtually on top of the prop to limit the stretching. Might be useful to maybe only half fill the germ pot , then you can add soil/coco as it starts to stretch for stability. I use a toothpick as a matter of course now. small enough to fit the pots without fear of catching them with prop top . fingers crossed for you mate.
I have a sponsored fast buds auto run next ( sept 19) and am excited to try their genetics too. never done autos before so should be fun !.
I would love to order from Barney's directly unfortunately they don't ship to Canada and I find seedsman has better prices then any seed bank in Canada for Barney's stuff. My wife and I really like the blueberry I just harvested so I think I want to try Blue Gelato 41.

Brilliant idea about only filling the pots half way then topping it up as they grow I will definitely have to try that.

Good catch mate on the thrips. They are bastards , prof has been battling them a while too. try a 20% milk/water in a sprayer with a touch of washing up liquid ( dish soap). It will kill unwanted soft bodied pests and wont harm your plants. if you soak the top layer of soil too , it will hopefully catch the emerging ones too. a layer of sand on top of the soil can stop them getting in and out to lay eggs too. i sadly lost 6 clones in this run to spidermite , 3 months old too. Thankfully had the Barneys girls as back up.
Kinda sucks about the thrips I will get to spraying them soon. Like your idea about the sand on top of the soil .

Love the paperclip even more than my toothpick mate. simply brilliant. nice one. keeps her 100% mobile and wont allow her to fold either. wont see no stinky rubbish toothpick in my grows again. "The Toothpick is dead , long live the Paperclip".
I happened to have those laying around from me trying to use them to attach my ties to from lst they didn't work very good because they would pop off the pot all the time so I found another use for them

I am going to start spraying them soon but wonder if they are to young to spray?
What were you thinking of using? Too early for neem and probably iso/water, so I'd go with Dr Bronner's unscented castille soap mixed with water. That will work for you straight until harvest day.

I'm not spraying milk on my plants though even though it's recommended by the guy with 8 kids! If you're going to add soap to the water it's the soap that's gonna kill them anyway ;).

I got some stuff from the grow store awhile ago

Doktor Doom contact spray
20190729_164327.jpg

It comes out like a foam and kinda sits on the leaves for a bit until it dries not sure if this is to harsh have not used it on the seedlings yet.

Is this the soap your talking about
Screenshot_20190729-164827_Chrome.jpg

What ratio of the soap to water would I use?

Would Damascus earth be a good thing to use on the top of the soil to kill the one's that come out of the soil

That's the peppermint, I'd go with the unscented.
21pdP2wIbcL.jpg

Mixing instructions here:

And pyrethrins are actually a banned pesticide in a few canna-legal states, so I don't use it.
Thanks shed for the mixing link I will try to find some of the unscented dr bronner's .I don't want to risk using the other stuff if it's been banned not worth the risk.

What do you think about using diatomaceous earth for the top of the soil

DE is great but it only works when it's dry, which means every time you water it becomes useless (unless you only bottom water). Then you have to wait for the top of the soil to dry out enough to put more DE on. In the meantime, the thrips can crawl back out of the soil and onto the leaves.

That's why I try to spray every other day once I see thrip damage, usually for a couple of weeks. DE would break the cycle faster though.

Another thought, but I'm not sure it's a good idea this young, is to spray the bottom of the leaves with a DE/ water mix. It lasts longer than the soap or iso spray as it drys leaving a coating of DE on the leaf.

Ok thanks again and you answered the the next question I had is how often to spray with the soap mix. If I am still having problems with the thrips when they get a little bigger I may try the DE spray you mentioned. I was able to find the unscented soap on a local stores website so will probably go pick some up tonight.

I'm assuming I shouldn't spray the plants with the soap solution while they are under the lights. Spray them outside the tent then put them back after the leaves are dry

I have a sponsored fast buds auto run next ( sept 19) and am excited to try their genetics too. never done autos before so should be fun
Sorry Gg I never saw this above fast buds is supposed to be a great breeder for auto's would love a sub in when you get it going

Just a quick update. I gave the Gz their first Castile soap treatment tonight I pulled them out of the tent and treated them. I tried to give them light spray but a couple of them fell over from the weight of the spray on their leaves so I made a couple more paper clip stakes.

They have been in the new environment for a day and a half they seemed to be responding well so I lowered the light a few inches so we will see how they are tomorrow. Fingers crossed that they are liking more light and I don't see any thrips.
20190729_225106.jpg
20190729_225011.jpg
20190729_225007.jpg

Had an opinion to ask of you guys the Os is showing what I think is a calcium deficiency there is some brown spots on the leaves I can get some pics when the lights come on. I fed them cal mag throughout flower and stopped at week 6 which is recommended by the manufacturer of the cal mag. I am on the first day of week 7 is it to late in the grow to give them cal mag ? Should I just continue without it I will probably be harvesting these girls in about 3 weeks I think

Back
Top Bottom