NLnovice's Northern Lights - Soil - CFL - Cabinet Grow 2012

Re: NLnovice's Northern Lights,Soil,CFL,Cabinet Grow 2012

Thanks hodder356,
My current grow is from KC Brains feminized.
The previous grow as you see pictured above was from Ministry of Cannabis.
Would love to talk seeds if your thinking of placing an order.

Any suggestions? My next grow I was thinking of carmelicious. Kinda curious about this strain.

Hi Easeedoesit,
I had never heard of carmelicious before your post. When I read up on it, it seem like a great strain.
Easy to grow, good for pain and depression, short height, and relatively quick flower time.Sounds like you picked a good one.
Personally my heart wants to grow Skunk#1 but my head tells me it will be too tall and too stinky.
I will be interested to hear from you how much your NL x Kush smells as your grow progresses.
My NL has not smelled at all but still has long way to go(fingers crossed).

NL

as far as the heat issue from adding lower placed cfl's, maybe you could use the same number you had before, but in different positions.

also consider a scrog next time. get all the buds at a more optimum distance from the lights.

Some of the more ache and pain relief strains I have experienced were both from Sweet Seeds.

A few grows back I grew their Cream Carmel. It is some really good night time smoke. Very relaxing for the body and mind.

Last grow was one of their freebies, Green Poison. Also a good night time smoke. A little stronger too.

It took having a few grows under my belt, but I am getting real good results now with all my strains. The few privileged characters I turn on to or get to smoke some with me say my stuff is better than anything around.

I read a strain description of I believe White Widow when I first started research and growing with connoisseur seeds and it said not for inexperienced smokers. All of mine might fall into that category now. If I give a guy a bud and he smokes it with someone, he will call and tell me they were amazed at the high quality.

Hi Hash Hound,
Thanks for the tip about bulb placement. I feel a little stupid for not realizing if I use the same amount of bulbs but just alter there placement then I would have the same temps. --duh-- Will have to read more on scrog. Just want to get a good grow under my belt then try to improve yield with different techniques. Thanks for the strain tips. Believe the cream caramel was described in your journal as "pleasantly sedative", sounds perfect for me. Will have to check sweet seeds for prices and other info. If you don't mind me asking, seems like you have ordered seeds a couple times or more? Have you had any problems, not with the seeds themselves but with shipping? One more question do you have anything growing now or planned?

Opinions needed please....

My plant is at day 63 flower 28. Lower fan leaves have been yellowing and then dieing for a couple weeks now. I believe this is from lack of light and age of plant. I am noticing that some of the middle to top fan leaves on the main stem are beginning to do this as well. They start off by becoming very pale. My question is... is this normal as it progresses into week 5 of flower or is it a deficiency that I should worry about? Will try to get a good pic in the next couple days.

Thanks

I did have 1 shipment that never arrived and the company made good.

I have had more problems with sprouting than with delivery. I think they mess with them in transit somewhere along the way when they are scanned. I got extra protection not to be to specific the last time, and the germination rate is better.

on deck are a few freebies Dinafem Power Kush, SamSara El Alquemista and Spicy White Devil. and my own cross of White Widow x Querkle.

Loaded my soil blend with some organics and minerals and using some tea as a soil drench. They are so healthy it's almost scary.

Here are a few pics of my pale and yellow fan leaves. These leaves are middle to top of plant.

First pic. is middle of plant and most severe. You can see the stem and soil in back round to gauge height of leaf.
pale-1.jpg

Second pic. is two nodes above last pic. Above and behind this leaf you can see the beginning of the next highest leaves turning pale.
pale-2.jpg

Third pic. is of one of the leaves at the base of the main cola. Where the cola begins to separate itself from the rest of the plant.
pale-3.jpg

Beginning of week 5 of flower.
Any comments, ideas, suggestions, or possible remedies are greatly appreciated.

I suspect that the yellowing fan leaves are just from lack of light and the fact that they generally turn yellow and drop off as the plant matures ... I have a NL from Nirvana in soil that just sprouted ... from what I've heard of delayed maturing w/ NL you may want to begin reducing the light by about 15 min every couple of days until you're down around 10.5-11 hrs depending on when you want to harvest ... shouldn't effect yield and it should increase potency ... if your plant is healthy enough you have options come harvest; harvest the uppermost portions and wait for the lower buds to mature; or harvest 80% of plant and leave enough small buds to regenerate the plant. I like to get a second harvest out of my plants by harvesting and then returning the plant to a vegetative state for about ten days, then transplanting outside. Great time of year to do it and you get to see an interesting side to the life cycle of your plant... your plant looks great :bongrip:

Please keep us posted on the height and let us know how much dry you get off this plant ... :bongrip:

If its only happening to the lower leaves its probably just a lack of light but if the yellowing and dying off begins happening elsewhere its more than likely a slight deficiency in nitrogen.

:peace:

Thanks,
I believe it is a nitrogen deficiency. Going to give her a fresh batch of tea at next feeding and see if that helps.

Thanks ChesterC and Welcome,
Many great ideas and I appreciate your input. Have noticed many NL plants turning yellow quickly, I just hope I can get mine thru the next 4-6 weeks. Going to try your idea of reducing time and would love if it gets me to the finish line with some potent smoke.
I will have to do some more reading on re-veg, it sounds like it could work great in my situation.
Thanks again for your interest.

I'm not that sold on revegging an indoor grow since it only took about a month from seed before you could flower this beautiful plant you have growing ... but transplanting and revegging outdoors gives you a sturdy plant w/ a great root system for better pest and disease resistance. Plus you would only reveg a known female. If you've got the spot why waste the plant ?
:bongrip:

Some info on "The Diminishing Lighting Schedule"

The Gas Lantern Routine for Growing Cannabis

The Diminishing Lighting Schedule

The diminishing fall schedule begins with an evenly halved light schedule, using 12 hours for the first two weeks to trigger the plant into bloom, and then further reducing the lighting for increasing darkness time by one half hour every week.

The final week of flowering will provide the plants with a mere nine hours of light, with 15 hours of darkness, forcing a resulting final explosive hormonal buildup. This sends the plant into blooming overdrive and produces resin far beyond the normal plant’s limits.
When the Gas Lantern Routine and Diminishing Light Schedule are used together, they create healthier, more naturally robust plants. These important and historical botanical techniques are soon going to become very important techniques in the coming years as medicinal cannabis research continues to advance. When viewed from cost of production, organics, and medicinal needs, the methods currently being promoted can be seen counter to the interests of growing healthy plants. Understanding your plants is the best way to grow the best medicine, and looking for solutions to growing problems by observing nature always provides the right answers.

Hi Easeedoesit,
I had never heard of carmelicious before your post. When I read up on it, it seem like a great strain.
Easy to grow, good for pain and depression, short height, and relatively quick flower time.Sounds like you picked a good one.
Personally my heart wants to grow Skunk#1 but my head tells me it will be too tall and too stinky.
I will be interested to hear from you how much your NL x Kush smells as your grow progresses.
My NL has not smelled at all but still has long way to go(fingers crossed).

I'm more or less interested in the flavor of the carmelicious. Do you know of any creditable sites to purchase seeds from? Dont really want really feel like get took. As far as the smell with my NL x Kush, I don't smell anything yet (plant still young tho), but my fiancé swears she catches a wift every once in a while. Got me thinking about a carbon filter now. Any suggestions?

Click one of the many ads on this site for great seeds and service.

As for carbon filter there are many links to building your own for relatively cheap.

The last link is the smallest and probably easiest.. flip thru pics. ...a bit confusing but a great filter. These might be on the big side but think you could scale them down. The odor control bucket could be placed outside the grow box and be very effective. Hope this helps.

Hey NL ... I see you use Mykos ... can you tell us a little about it and how long you've been using it ?

Hey NL ... I see you use Mykos ... can you tell us a little about it and how long you've been using it ?

I was given a couple sample packs at my hydro shop of Mykos WP. This was the first time I had ever heard of them. The guy at the store told me to use them when I transplanted my plant. Filled my 3 gallon pot half way then sprinkled a layer on top. Then sprinkled them on the roots . He explained to me that they attach themselves to the roots and basically act as a conduit for the roots. Making the roots larger and more able to absorb water and nutrients. A couple weeks after using them I noticed a white cob web like on part of the soil. This was the mycorrhizae doing it's job. I have nothing to compare it to but in my opinion this stuff is great for transplanting. He gave me two packs and I will definitely be using them for my next transplant. Here is a brief summary of Mykos...

Mykos is a symbiotic microbe that connects plants with colonies of beneficial bacteria and fungi throughout the soil. It vastly increases the availability of nutrients, such as phosphorus, calcium, sulfur, and all those elements necessary for plant growth and vitamin production in crops. Mykos treated plants produce far more vitamins and life-enriching minerals than non-treated plants. Mykos increase plant production of primary and secondary metabolites, resulting in large, healthy harvests.

Transplants:
Wet root ball and dust with Mykos WP. May add to plant hole at a rate or 2+ tablespoon per plant.

Root Drench: (established plants)
3/4 cup per gal water. 1 gal per plant–and water or irrigate as normal. For optimal penetration, auger a few holes into root zone prior to application. Apply 2-3 time during vegetative growth.

Hydroponics/Aeroponic / Deep water culture
Add 2 teaspoons per gal to aerated reservoirs. Repeat weekly or with every reservoir change.

Here is a pic of the fungi at work...
day50-11.jpg

Back
Top Bottom