NorthernCosmos' First Indoor Soil Auto Grow: 2019

I tend to take the leaves and leave the stem. I think I read somewhere it was less stress on the plant.

True dat, they seem to seal the leaf stem faster than a wound on the main stem.

I will never forget that blueberry auto I had which turned out 1000s of shoots when I started trimming her and she was half way in bloom. But I guess that's not true for all autos, just my kind of luck...

Good things come to those who wait... :laughtwo:

As promised, the deed is done!

Wren the White Widow:

Day_85_Wren_1b.JPG

Ada the Amnesia:

Day_85_Ada_1.JPG

Some of Wren's limbs:

Day_85_Wren_3.JPG

Both of them in the drying box:

Day_85_Ada_Wren_1.JPG

Thanks, Shed! :D

This was better than I dared hope for. I'm chuffed. Nice and dense colas, smells of citrus and berries :yummy:

I was a bit unsure about how close I should shave them... pulled off all big leaves, took off everything that was yellowing, snipped lots of sugar leaves half way. They will curl up a little when they dry, right? I have a box of trich laden trimmings which goes in the freezer, and when I've collected a good bit of that it's bubble time.

I want to thank everybody who posted and read this journal, and especially all who coached and encouraged me!
:circle-of-love:

I'm not done yet though, there's drying and curing, and then.... tasting! And in the mean time I have several more coming...

This was better than I dared hope for.

I know, right? :)

I was a bit unsure about how close I should shave them...

This is up to you, I usually cut the leaf stem if its visible sticking out of the bud I don't dig around in the bud just to get it out. Before I would save the smallest leafs, they curl around the buds and protect them if left there. But now I just take my scissor and cut them of along the bud.

And in the mean time I have several more coming...

This is getting exciting :)

Well... it could've been worse. The whole experience feels so right, and even with some hurdles to overcome I now know that this is more than possible :cool:

That's whats so great about it... patience, time and one or two bugs to kill...

That weed is going to get you more than lit to continue with this. :)

Very beautiful harvest man! :yummy:

Thanks, CraZy! :D

Yeah, it is beautiful - it's a sight I've been waiting for, let's say, for 30++ years - I just didn't know about it :cheesygrinsmiley:

This is up to you, I usually cut the leaf stem if its visible sticking out of the bud I don't dig around in the bud just to get it out. Before I would save the smallest leafs, they curl around the buds and protect them if left there. But now I just take my scissor and cut them of along the bud.
Would leaving the sugar leaves to curl up be a bad thing? I'm not going to let anything go to waste anyway, saving the trimmings, so it's more a question of the best curing, smoekability and aesthetics for me.

Yeah, it is beautiful - it's a sight I've been waiting for, let's say, for 30++ years - I just didn't know about it :cheesygrinsmiley:

Great! I always say its never too late for anything, the important thing is to get there. Growing in a country like ours makes it very difficult when socializing with other people. I had a ruff time with my X she was the complete opposite to me but I finally got the the point were she accepted it but making this possible in an apartment and having people around that don't have a clue about it is hard. This came down to I threw her out :rofl:

Would leaving the sugar leaves to curl up be a bad thing? I'm not going to let anything go to waste anyway, saving the trimmings, so it's more a question of the best curing, smoekability and aesthetics for me.

No its not a bad thing I used to leave them on as I said and they protect the tricomes from rubbing off. If you have no plans for making oil or any other eddies its better to leave them on.

Well... I was initially set on waiting for the drying and initial cure, some 3 weeks in all. However, I did fast dry a nug of each on the LED light on day 3 of the drying (Friday). It was a surprisingly smooth smoke, and let's just say that I'm not at all disappointed in any way whatsoever :yummy: :Rasta:

I have another small early sample in a jar now, which may well go up in smoke later today, on day 6 of the drying. That would make it a sample every 3 days to see how the drying and curing process is affecting the produce - it's all in the name of science, you see! :nerd-with-glasses::cheesygrinsmiley:

I was chuffed when I harvested, I'm chuffed^2 after sampling :D I also notice that after only one day in a jar, it's already starting to smell really nice. I hadn't expected that. Can't wait for sampling-time later this evening!

Been eyeing your harvest over In The Fog. Looks like it's gonna be a nice jul for us all.

The others are coming along nicely. The next gen Amnesia and Widow seem to be growing slightly taller than the last ones.
There will be a report and pics from the tent at next feeding :morenutes:

I'm wondering when to close this journal... With this triple overlapping scheme we might be looking at what you call a perpetual grow, so I'm not sure what to do - I'm afraid my journalling isn't exactly sensational with my tiny noob autos, but it has helped me organize my thoughts and learning, especially with the gurus chiming in of course!

I was chuffed when I harvested, I'm chuffed^2 after sampling :D I also notice that after only one day in a jar, it's already starting to smell really nice. I hadn't expected that. Can't wait for sampling-time later this evening!

Lol, Great Cosmos just like it should then. :D you are going to fall out of your chair after a few weeks of curing then. :cool:

I'm sampling this Cheese for the first time now myself.

Been eyeing your harvest over In The Fog. Looks like it's gonna be a nice jul for us all.

Lol again, I would be very glad if I have some of this left for Jul. :lot-o-toke:

There will be a report and pics from the tent at next feeding :morenutes:

Looking forward to this its fun with these small grows with just a few plants, easy to see whats going on and how far they got. I'm following a Canadian grower who can swim in his cloning and that's cool but not so easy to see what is what sometimes. :laughtwo:

I'm wondering when to close this journal...

You run it as long as you want, some like to keep new journals for different strains and such but I see no problem in keeping it all in the same here. You are constantly growing for the time being. IF you decide to make another one be sure to shout me in. :)

The only Guru here is Shed. ;)

Day 37 for the BCN (left) and day 50 for the AK420 (right). The BCN has started flowering. I'm at ca. 2/3 nutes for these now. It's also day 21 for the 2nd round of Amnesia (left) and White Widow (right). Everything is nice and green. Zero pests have been observed. All is well in the tent:

Tent_10_12_2019.JPG

The Ak420 Auto is nice and green, no yellowing, and it's forming plenty of colas:

Day_50_Anastasia.JPG

The 2nd round of Amnesia (top) and White Widow (bottom). They're taller than the first ones and looks nice and healthy. The pics left to right are before and after today's start of the LST:

Day_21_AM2_WW2_LST.jpg

Here a quick post mortem on the first Amnesia (top) and White Widow (bottom). As mentioned previously these lived under 24/4 lights for the middle month and a half or so of their life, and suffered root aphids and a little fungus gnats in the midlle of their lives. They got many yellowing leaves atthe bottom, with almost all the fan leaves of the Amnesia going towards a yellow shade. They might also have gotten too little nutes for the first half of their lives, as I was too cautious in the beginning, having read many claims of autos not needing much nutes.

You can see the root balls and a cross section of the soil with the roots of each. The roots appear intact, as in no apparent signs of pest attacks, rot or anything else. I could not see a single living thing when exposing the roots and sifting through the soil.

As can just be seen in the lower right, the diatomaceous earth from 3 applications around the stem, had settled around the top of the root down to a depth of a copule of inches. This is right in the region where the aphids used to surface. I reckon this was not nice for the aphids as the top soil dried and the DA got powdery and could do its job.

Root_AM1_WW1_1_2.JPG

There are the bare roots, minus the million smaller which i tore off to get them free of course:

Root_AM1_WW1.JPG

I'm missing something in previous post you made and that's new names of the plants, others everything looks very sweet!

Thank you for that beautiful dissection of your rootballs. That accident with your timer is now avoided and future grows will be more complete, the nuting with autos is nothing I ever heard but that might be true, but every factor is different at each grower and this is something one has to figure out for them self.

I had lots of calcium in my water but that I knew, some work privilege ;) Now I run it through RO filtration before use at home, always easier to start with something you know is almost zero.

Well very interesting dissection Cosmos.
:blunt:

I had lots of calcium in my water but that I knew, some work privilege ;) Now I run it through RO filtration before use at home, always easier to start with something you know is almost zero.
I also have a quite a bit of Calcium in the water. I thought that together with some Epsom salt, there's a CalMag'ish thing going there(?) The new plants have all been getting a little Epsom salt from the beginning, around 1/3 gram per liter water.

As for names, there's Anastasia the AK420, Brynhild the BCN Critical, and then the naming scheme has sort of decayed to Amnesia 2 and White Widow 2. At least for the first plants the names let me "bond" with them :cheesygrinsmiley: Not sure if I can keep up with cool names forever - at least I Edited in names for the feeding posting above...

And now, the harvest is in the jars, and I can lean back and relax:

A still life to convey the mood right now, rolled up the bits that got loose while putting it all in jars:

Harvest_reward.JPG

Back
Top Bottom