Con's First Indoor Soil Grow

Oh yeah. I guess I knew that. I guess you'll need a different way to determine the pot size.
I find a web site that will do the calculating for me. Ask Mr Google, or your favorite search engine, to find a web site for ...volume of a cylinder.... and the rest is history.;)

Then, measuring the height of the pot and the diameter at the top should work with a cloth pot since they tend have very straight up and down sides. Plug the numbers in where the instructions say and bingo, the volume. A decent web site will let the user change inches to millimeter for the measurements and from liters to gallons for volume.

For plastic pots which tend to have a taper either measure the diameter half way up or just measure like it is a cloth pot and realize that the number of gallons will be a tad larger than the actual volume.

Only thing to watch for is if the website wants the measurement across the top to be either the diameter or the radius (which is half way across or from the center to the edge).

I think the nutrient companies gear their recommendations to the listed pot size, not the volume though. So if they are suggesting some nutrient amount for a 5 gallon pot, it might actually be 4 gallons of actual soil, but they call it a 5 gal?

If this is the case, knowing the actual volume but then adjusting for the nursery label (5 gal pot is actually 4 real gallons of volume) might be necessary to match bottle instructions.

yeah i'll do some research hard to say if these nute companies use liquid gallons or as in the shed said planters are trade gallons so will have to compare the two for volume differences & figure out what these companies are rating their nutes for, but the Dutch nutrient Gro & Bloom A&B seem pretty weak as compared to others i've seen so not to concerned at the moment, but on another note i found on you tube some simple ways to make those SIP planters and will try them this summer

If you're dealing with liquid nutes then pot size doesn't matter since you're mixing in standard liquid gallons (like the numbers I gave you).

Only if you're using mix-in or top-fed dry nutes will the actual volume of soil make a difference. And most pots have a size listed on them somewhere. Yours is the outlier!
good to know i'm just going with liquid nutes for now, just want simple till i get a bit more experience but will be checking the local hydro store & see what other options are out there for nutes for my next grow but the formulas you figured out for me seem to be doing well & soil seems easy enough for now, just placed a order for a few different strains from Herbies seeds & should be here by the time my current grow is done or close to it, i just want some decent & good tasting smoke to help manage my pain instead of eating morphine & zombie Ing out

I think the nutrient companies gear their recommendations to the listed pot size, not the volume though. So if they are suggesting some nutrient amount for a 5 gallon pot, it might actually be 4 gallons of actual soil, but they call it a 5 gal?

If this is the case, knowing the actual volume but then adjusting for the nursery label (5 gal pot is actually 4 real gallons of volume) might be necessary to match bottle instructions.
I question whether it has to be so exact. I find it hard to believe that under- or over-feeding by just a bit makes a whole bunch of difference. And if it does, the plants will tell you "I want more" or "I need less" if you can recognize it.

But I don't know, so many things that I find "hard to believe" are happening everyday. :straightface:

There are a few different designs for SIPs. I described the ways I build mine on page two of the #SIP Club thread.

nice journal plants have looked amazing from the jump!
This has been solid excited to see the finish!
Thanks i don't think they'd be where they are now with out the advise from other members from this group glad i joined great ppl here, getting close to the finish line & can't wait to taste and start a second grow

I question whether it has to be so exact. I find it hard to believe that under- or over-feeding by just a bit makes a whole bunch of difference. And if it does, the plants will tell you "I want more" or "I need less" if you can recognize it.
Good way to look at a minor situation.

Trade size/volume and actual size/volume is available on-line. We had a similar discussion months ago and after digging around with a search engine I found the charts. The listed volumes as shown between charts will be close to each other so the numbers seem to be universal.

There does not seem to be any reason why the trade size is not actual

To keep it basic a #1 size will be .7 US gallons and a #2 will be 1.4 US gallons and keep working with .7 US gallon per trade gallon in size. By the time we get to a #10 size pot it will hold 7 US gallons.

The following chart is the simplest, most basic and easiest to use and pretty much covers it all. Plus it has the same info as all the other sites I came across. This web site is a commercial wholesale landscape nursery supplier. If the link ever breaks then hopefully someone will find a new one for us to use or will go to a "way-back machine".

https://www.octoraro.com/faqs/container-sizes/

With all the discussion on pot size it is interesting that I have not come across messages that bring up an important measurement when discussing transplanting to a larger pot. Anyone notice that when looking at pots for soil that the height does not change much after about a #3 or 3 gallon size. Going from a 3 to a 5 gallon might gain an inch of depth and from a 3 to a 7 gets us an additional 2 inches. All the increase in volume is to the sides. That makes it harder to position the stem so it is deeper and is often recommended. But, it does help if the concern at transplanting is "will the plant canopy still be an acceptable distance below the lights?"

Begining of week 9 and are filling out nice and thinking the 2 meat breaths should be ready in a week or 2, the trichromes a few are clear but most just started to get cloudy, the 1 Angel OG starting to fill out nice but probably 2-3 weeks if not 4 weeks away (just my guess) dropped RH to 45%, starting to smell real good

IMG_1784.JPG

IMG_1786.JPG

IMG_1787.JPG

IMG_1788.JPG

IMG_1789.JPG

IMG_1792.JPG

IMG_1793.JPG

Begining of week 9 and are filling out nice and thinking the 2 meat breaths should be ready in a week or 2, the trichromes a few are clear but most just started to get cloudy, the 1 Angel OG starting to fill out nice but probably 2-3 weeks if not 4 weeks away (just my guess) dropped RH to 45%, starting to smell real good

IMG_1784.JPG

IMG_1786.JPG

IMG_1787.JPG

IMG_1788.JPG

IMG_1789.JPG

IMG_1792.JPG

IMG_1793.JPG
beautiful plants

Looking good, Con!

You still have lots of white pistils. I don't even start checking trichomes until those mostly darken and crinkle in. You've got some time to go yet.
they're just starting to get a light green color now

beginning of week 10 & looking good the Angel OG the colors are looking good but a bit stringy hopefully will fill out a bit more will be the first 2 pics, the Meat Breaths are getting fat & looking real good but some of the upper leaf's are curling up at the tips & turning a bit yellowish ? why ? just started on day 3 of drought stress i do believe this is the time to start that correct me if i'm wrong, i think the leaf tips curling up is from the light being to close so going to raise the light up a few inchs

IMG_1802.JPG

IMG_1809.JPG

IMG_1807.JPG

IMG_1811.JPG

IMG_1813.JPG

IMG_1815.JPG

IMG_1818.JPG

Back
Top Bottom