Obi's AK-48 - A Grow Journal & Review

All plants have about doubled in size in 24 hours. I'm a little surprised at the amount of growth considering their sluggish start. Perhaps they were just hungry. I'll try to get a pic this evening.

Did you give them some dark time, or did you keep them on 24/0?

Yes, we are still on 24/0. I want to get them switched to 18/6 asap. I need to run out and purchase a timer.

Update
Day: 16
Stage: Veg
Veg Days: 16
Flower Days: 0
Light: 24/0 6500K CFL's
Temps: 78F-82F / 25C-27C
RH: 47%-55%
Water: RO pH 5.6
Amount: To run off, then then drained the reservoirs
Nutrients: 2.0ml CalMag, 0.5ml Grow, 1.0ml Micro, 0.5ml Bloom per Gallon / 3.75L

The plants went about 24 hours longer than they should have without water. They'll be fine. One is a little crispy but will live.

I hope to have these AK-48's put into the main cabinet somewhere between Jan 10th-15th.

Update
Day: 23
Veg Days: 23
Light: 18/6 6500K CFL's
Temps: 72F-85F / 22C-29C
RH: 43%-55%
Water: RO pH 5.7
Amount: To run off
Nutrients: 2ml CalMag, 2ml Grow, 2ml Micro, 0.5ml Bloom per Gallon / 3.75L
Nutrient Strength: 50%

There is an undocumented plain RO watering a few days prior to this feeding.

/Obi

Update
Day: 29
Veg Days: 29
Light: 18/6 6500K 400W T5HO
Temps: 66F-79F / 18C-26C
RH: 39%-57%
Water: RO pH 5.7
Amount: 2Gal/7.5L divided between the 4 plants. no runoff.
Nutrients: 3ml CalMag, 3ml Grow, 3ml Micro, 1ml Bloom per Gal/3.75L
Nutrient Strength: 75%

Transplant day today. During transplant I was surprised to learn how dry the root system was in the solo cups. I knew they were due for a water today but thought that they would have been more moist at the bottom of the cups. They were dry. I think this would explain their somewhat small size for their age. I'm hoping they recover quickly from the transplant and look forward to keeping them better hydrated in the future.

/Obi

Just curious... did you punch holes for drainage In your solo cups and if u did, did you give enough water so there was enough dripping through? I've read you want about 20% run off for a feed/water. This method has worked very well for me. Just wanted to mention it. :thumb:

With perlite (and possibly vermiculite added to help water retention in the column), it always helps to make the drain holes a 1/2" or so above the bottom of the solo and about 2" above the bottom of the final pot/bucket...hempy-style. This helps eliminate the issue of super-dry roots on the bottom. You may have it that way so pardon my blurt if so...

cheers Obi

Re: Obi's AK-48 - A Grow Journal & Review

Thanks for the suggestions. I appreciate the input and the fact that people are willing to share some advice to help keep a fellow grower on track :)

I do have a hole in the cups and buckets. I'm simply prone to under watering and figured I'd document it. I should make an effort to try and over water.

The plants look a little droopy yet from their transplant and new environment. I'm hoping they perk up in the next 24 to 48 hours. I'm going to give them another good drink tonight.

Late Update
01/10/2017 (yesterday)
Day: 31
Veg Days: 31
Light: 18/6 6500K 400W T5HO
Temps: 61F-79F / 16C-26C
RH: 39%-57%
Water: RO pH 5.8
Amount: 1Gal/3.75L divided between the 4 plants. no runoff.
Nutrients: 3ml CalMag, 3ml Grow, 3ml Micro, 1ml Bloom per Gal/3.75L
Nutrient Strength: 75%

I still see droop in the plants. I think it is due in part to the cold cabinet temperatures. I lowered the light today. It's about 6in/15cm from the top of the canopy. I hope the lamp warms the plants and buckets a bit more now. The weather should warm up soon. That will help as well.

/Obi

Obi, I saw in your response to drainage hole you said you have a(one) drainage hole, if this is true you should add more (center and around exterior of cup/pot. The reason for this is to allow drainage around the pot as well as the center ie) water could be collecting in "corners" of the cup/pot (I say corners indicating the base of the cup/pot). The droopage could very well be due to over watering if this is the case.

Cheers,
Smoke green and prosper! :hippy:

I don't think I mentioned that I'm running Hempy buckets with an 80/20 mix of Perlite/Vermiculite. I should see if I can put that in the first post.

I had some issues transplanting last grow as well. The 100% Perlite crumbles really easy when wet or dry and makes the transfer quite difficult. I need a better solution for seedlings for sure.

Sounds good BedroomFarmer. I'm going to try coco in the cups next grow. I'll probably blend in a little Perlite as well.

Back
Top Bottom