Outdoor Growing With BeezLuiz

Highya BL,

So sorry about all the catepillars! Glad we don't get them here! I don't get much insects here, some fly holes, but I don't spray either. We have Japanese beatles. They are destructive in the garden if I don't capture them. I get about 200 each season.
I have one lady that's been flowering for a month already! Very unusual. All the rest are behind you by probably a week, except another with white pistils showing. Your GDP and PH are really bushy! I love that! Mine are bushy, too, but not like yours!. Nice job on the training! Happy Smokin'

At least they left me with enough to try.

I figure I have about one or two weeks until the moths notice the Purples.

Yeah, I was a pretty surprised at how fast they did it and how quickly they grew.

I get caterpillars every season on my big photo plants, but I usually am able to remove them before they do too much damage. They took me by surprise this time.

I've pretty much gotten over it. Zam was just an auto and I have more seeds of it. I still have plenty of choices in my inventory to smoke, and come October, those Purples are going to supply me and everyone I know with more weed than we know what to do with. :cool:

I'm working on a defense strategy for those two. I do have the BT spray, but would like to keep the spraying to a minimum even though I wash every harvest. I bought some materials to build a nighttime greenhouse for them. We'll see how it turns out.
My last grow was decimated by small caterpillars. I bought some small tree netting to see if that works. Yes my plants are tiny Charlie Brown Christmas tree plants compared to your beauties!

I’d really like to see the top count on this, ala Shed’s AK-47.
Do you mean this one?
AK-47 59 tops
That looks like a ton of work to me, and I'm sure I would only end up with 58. :laughtwo:
Yeah, that's an especially nice Sauga view!
:thanks:
And please be careful atop that ladder. Much as we appreciate the SaugaView®, we like you unbent and unbroken.
Definitely a good strategy!
I have one lady that's been flowering for a month already! Very unusual. All the rest are behind you by probably a week,
My grow back in 2018 had a similar situation. 5 clones of different varieties, one of them started flowering a month before the others. I chalked it up to genetics. :hmmmm:
They're looking absolutely lovely Beez!
Thanks, Stunger!
POTM material, Luiz!
I might have a chance since you are not growing this season. ;)
Absolutely beautiful plants BZ.
:thanks:
Here is my solution for keeping caterpillars away. Seems to be working.
Thanks, Grateful! I actually just bought some netting material and am going to try building a nighttime shelter. Pics when it happens...

Hi Boo, thanks for stopping by! :circle-of-love:
Now I’ve got to get outside and spray BT!!!!
Too early is better than too late. I hope some peeps can learn from my mistake. :thumb:

Sorry to hear about your misfortune with the caterpillars. I get the a lot in the East Bay too. After reading your posts from the other day, it motivated me to do a BT spray last night. It's the first one of the year. I don't usually start spraying this early, but if you got em, that means they are here too.

At least it looks like they didn't destroy your plant, but it did a bit of damage for sure. At least it didn't get to all the buds. It should still give you a decent harvest.

I've got a couple odds and ends to update on today. First off, I have confirmed all three of my What Widows were male and are now in the yard waste bin.
However, before tossing them, I collected some of the pollen sacs and maybe I will attempt to seed a bud each from the Purple Haze and GDP that are getting into flowering mode now.

I don't know that I have previously mentioned this, but I decided to try my hand at cloning for the first time. After pruning some of my plants I saved a shoot or two. I didn't have any perlite or clone-x on hand and really didn't expect anything much to happen. I filled a solo cup with seedling soil and poked a hole nearly to the bottom using a pencil. I took a shoot, dipped it in water then in some rooting hormone powder (that has been sitting in my garage for maybe 20 yrs). I watered it and put a glass jar over the top to act as a dome. I really didn't pay any attention to them for several weeks, but finally took a close look at them a few days ago and noticed some new growth on all of them! :woohoo:

Here's how the roots looked on some of them as I up-potted them.

Three of the four are now in slightly larger pots and growing noticeably.

The Zamaldelica Auto was already starting to flower when I clipped it and it continues to build buds. I'm not really sure what's going to become of this one, but that's ok. I was just curious what would happen. To be honest, I'm not really sure what I'm going to do with any of the Purples since I already have pretty large plants going now. I doubt that I'll need more. :hmmmm: I'm sure I'll figure something out.

Today's update is about the war on caterpillars. My Granddaddy Purple is far enough along in flower to where there's a noticeable fragrance now.
This plant is bushy and going to be very dense with buds which will make it difficult to effectively spray for caterpillars on a regular basis. I decided to build a caterpillar shelter that I can wheel my GDP into each evening.
The mesh is very fine and will have no troubles keeping the nighttime critters away. It actually still lets in plenty of light so I could just keep it in there all day long, but I designed it so that it could be taken out daily. Takes less than a minute each time. :cool:
I left enough material on the front so that the front flap can be easily sealed by rolling the edges of the material and securing with binder clips.

I'd really like to do the same thing for Purple Haze, but I wanted to test out the design on GDP first. Also, it's a bit of an eye sore so having two of them - or a double length - is out of the question for now. Also Purple Haze is 12 inches taller than GDP so that's an issue as well. I'll spray PH this season and compare the two methods. PH is not nearly as dense as GDP so the spray should be more effective on it.

Highya BL,

Love your ingenuity! Looks like it should work fine!! Ladies look so bushy and full!! Happy Smokin'

Nice proto on the catty tent. It definitely should help keep the nasties off the GDP. I can see that it would be an bit of an eye sore to your manicured retreat, that by the way is just as sweet as your purples residing in it.
If I remember correctly doesn’t the GDP & Purple Haze still have some good stretch to go?

Love your ingenuity! Looks like it should work fine!! Ladies look so bushy and full!!
Thanks Bode! Being retired, I have plenty of time to think of fun stuff to do instead of doing my daily chores. :cool:
If I remember correctly doesn’t the GDP & Purple Haze still have some good stretch to go?
GDP is slowing down and I only expect it to grow another inch or two. I compensated for that in the height design of the shelter. Purple Haze is slowing down too, but still has a few more inches to go - another reason I didn't build a shelter for it... yet.
Growth Chart.jpg

Nighttime critters and daytime cats! Nice work BL, though I really expected the frame to have the plant name burned into the edge and be wrapped in gold twine. :( Maybe in v2.0?

Do continue to spray with BT despite the plant density and mesh protector. Moths get disturbed by environmental factors during the day and relocate to adjacent hiding places, one of which may be the GDP.

Nice work BL, though I really expected the frame to have the plant name burned into the edge and be wrapped in gold twine. :( Maybe in v2.0?
You always have great ideas! :idea:
Do continue to spray with BT despite the plant density and mesh protector. Moths get disturbed by environmental factors during the day and relocate to adjacent hiding places, one of which may be the GDP.
Sage advice indeed. :thanks:

@BeezLuiz Great job on those clones. You clipped them at just the right time. I've never cloned or raised auto's before, but I'll bet it will come out just fine. And yes, make some seeds. Especially on the GDP and the Purple Haze. Not sure what would happen if you crossed a photo with an auto, but what the heck. it's worth a try.

Back
Top Bottom