Outdoor Growing With BeezLuiz

Highya Beez,

Great discussion going on! Funny what danishoes said!! I need to wait a little longer before harvest this year. I made that decision back in the seedling stage. It is quite amazing the different smells! I'm growing Super Silver Haze this year (mostly) and they smell so good just going down the path!! Love that. Happy Smokin'

I'm growing Super Silver Haze this year (mostly) and they smell so good just going down the path!! Love that.
I've heard good things about SSH. I may need to give that one a try. :passitleft:
I need to wait a little longer before harvest this year. I made that decision back in the seedling stage.
Outdoor growing in your location seems like such a larger challenge due to your weather. Let's hope your plants can make it to the finish line! :goodluck:

I've got a question regarding your lab results, LKV. The last column that's labeled Moisture is showing both of your samples having large values of 52.9% and 78.9%. Typically that measurement is about 10%, so I'm wondering if you submitted samples that were not yet dried/cured. Just curious...

I'm pretty sure it's the lab's job to dry to the correct level for testing. That might have just been intake moisture, which shouldn't change the cannabinoid readings.
Very true. I knew it probably didn't affect the results, but wanted to understand why it was so high.
Neither sample was completely dried or cured
This explains it. :thanks:

No. We're talking about photoperiod plants that need a change in lighting for the flowering process.

Inside we change the lighting to 12/12 and the plant instantly thinks it's September 22nd and thinks winter is right around the corner. So it starts pushing out pistils and building flowers quickly to try to reproduce before frost hits.

Outside, on June 22nd, the plant gets the sense that today there was a tiny bit less daylight and wonders of maybe it was just really cloudy! After a few days of that it realizes the days are getting shorter so it begins the slow flowering process, knowing in its DNA that winter is two seasons away.

That's why inside we get pistils in a week or two and outside not until mid-July to August. And it's why indoor harvest times are given in days and outside harvests are listed bearlyy month (e.g. early October).

That's why plants finish faster inside, and why starting an outdoor grow earlier in spring doesn't hasten the harvest date.
Ain't it the truth, she'd?
Spring came early this year so I experimented by putting a Purple Punch and a Cheese that were beginning to flower in the ground. I made the decision to harvest after about a month and a half and got ok results.
A couple jars each and some trim for the MBM. Here's a couple of the Cheese
20220424_121606.jpg
20220424_121624.jpg

This was in late April.
I'll update my outdoor grow today.
Thanks for the information.
Stay stoneder.

I finally have a few minutes to update here. The past couple months have been super busy with some significant home improvement projects. My plants are doing ok, but I feel like I've neglected them a bit this season. Let's see if I can remember how to upload some pics. :laughtwo:

Chem Dog:

Chem Dog is doing well at 173 days from planting and flowering for about 78 days (11 weeks). I've be spraying it with BT once per week since flowering began and so far no caterpillar damage has been observed. :yahoo: The buds are looking nice - especially since this plant went into premature flowering and then back into veg mode and back into flowering.

I think the buds are almost ready for harvest - maybe another week. Lots of cloudy trichomes, but still some clear, and water requirement is starting to slow down. Lots of amber, but that's to be expected for an outdoor plant. Here's some trichome pics:

Sour Diesel:

Sour Diesel has become my problem child. After vegging fully outdoors, I brought it in under lights about 5 weeks into flower. I think it didn't like the sudden change in lighting as its leaves have been on a downward spiral ever since. I think the lights are far enough above the plant (about 14 inches from the top bud) and registering about 40K lux on my light meter. Its getting the same nutrient feeds as the Chem Dog. I also gave it a good flush about 2 weeks ago, but not much change other than now it is starting to get some bud rot. 😡 I've trimmed off about 1/2 oz of buds so far. Not sure why, since it's been indoors and the temp and humidity have been pretty typical. It's also starting to foxtail so I'm pretty certain there's some stress going on.

The plant is also slowly getting eaten/sucked to death by what I believe are thrip larvae, but they are so small I can only see them using a microscope. Could possibly be mites as well. Just never see any adults.

As I expected, being mostly sativa, this one is taking its sweet time getting ripe. I feel it still has at least a couple more weeks to go. I'm just hoping it will last that long. I may have to harvest this one early to avoid a total loss. Here's some trichome pics. Lots of clear still.

I hope you all have a great rest of your day. :Namaste:

:woohoo: on the CD and :( on the SD. Nice to see you around these parts either way!
Let's see if I can remember how to upload some pics.
✅
so far no caterpillar damage has been observed.
That's terrific news! I promise that next summer I will start weekly BT spraying once the buds set, as long as you will remind me. :cheesygrinsmiley:
Chem Dog is doing well at 173 days from planting and flowering for about 78 days (11 weeks).
So nice of the weather to cooperate up there. It looks really good (trichs and all), especially considering:
back into veg mode and back into flowering.
Everything went better than expected!
it is starting to get some bud rot. 😡 I've trimmed off about 1/2 oz of buds so far.
Oh damn! Are they really dense?
Could possibly be mites as well. Just never see any adults.
If you don't see adults I'm going with mites.
I may have to harvest this one early to avoid a total loss.
You've got some clear in there but since it's a sativa anyway I would move up the harvest date to prevent you from having to toss out any more buds or lose the whole thing to insects. They multiply quickly!

:goodluck:

Maybe hit it with some Safers Soap to push off harvest a bit? I had mites on my recent grow about 6 weeks in and sprayed them a couple of times about 3 days apart. Set them back enough to limp a bit better into harvest.

Highya Beez,

If at all possible, harvest only when ready. Quality will be better. This season was so good, I only lost 2 early due to high winds, then the final seven went to finish then harvest, dry, trim, store. If you can delay the mites enough to finish, you'll be more happy with the finished product. Don't you have a "garage" to keep her in? At least it keeps the lower temps off for a little more while. Happy Smokin'

Edit:Sorry, I just realized you're inside now. Disregard the "garage", haha! Thank you.

Damn, you've been busy, Beez-!
That's odd- outdoor-ish problems on an indoor plant..😬 a little Safers does sound like a good idea, seems like it might buy you a little time...can you get a little more air circulation in there ? it may help to keep the rot away..

I promise that next summer I will start weekly BT spraying once the buds set, as long as you will remind me. :cheesygrinsmiley:
I would be happy to return the favor. ;)
Everything went better than expected!
I am quite satisfied with how both plants bounced back after the "reveg" incident. It required massive amounts of pruning on my part.
Oh damn! Are they really dense?
Yes, they were quite dense, and the rot appeared in the densest parts of the buds.
You've got some clear in there but since it's a sativa anyway I would move up the harvest date to prevent you from having to toss out any more buds or lose the whole thing to insects.
I tried out some tester buds that I clipped almost a week ago and was surprised at how potent it was - just didn't last very long.
Maybe hit it with some Safers Soap to push off harvest a bit?
Excellent recommendation - thanks! I doused the plant thoroughly yesterday (then rinsed about 30 minutes later). :thanks:
This season was so good, I only lost 2 early due to high winds, then the final seven went to finish then harvest, dry, trim, store.
Congrats! It amazes me that you and Stone can grow outdoors in your locations. :welldone:
a little Safers does sound like a good idea, seems like it might buy you a little time...can you get a little more air circulation in there ? it may help to keep the rot away..
Did the Safers yesterday and added a box fan (on low speed) as well. Thanks for the suggestions. :thanks:

I took a couple days off from home improvement projects to harvest Chem Dog on Sunday and Monday.

It grew for 181 days and flowered for about 86 days. It spent all of its time outdoors, and surprisingly had no issues with bud rot nor pests. Once flowering, I began a weekly spray of bacillus thuringiensis (BT), so I saw zero evidence of caterpillar damage. :yahoo:

Once I removed all the support stakes, it was pretty floppy. That's a good sign that the buds were densely heavy.

I spent about 4 hrs on Sunday and then another 4 hrs on Monday to finish it up. Not sure what I'm going to yield on it, but I'm pretty happy with what I got.

Certainly a much better story than my Sour Diesel, which I'll update on in a few days. Back to my chores....

Congrats on the large harvest, Beez!
surprisingly had no issues with bud rot nor pests.
That's great!
I grew a Chem Dawg outside a couple of years ago, next to a couple of Dr.S. CBD plants- the cbd's had aphids, caterpillars, and powdery mildew, while the Chem Dawg was totally untouched by any pests- must be the smell or something that the bugs don't like.... although it wasn't particularly stinky...

I took a couple days off from home improvement projects to harvest Chem Dog on Sunday and Monday.
:yahoo: for harvest time. It's so much better than home improvement projects. Congratulations on the chop!
Once flowering, I began a weekly spray of bacillus thuringiensis (BT), so I saw zero evidence of caterpillar damage.
Noice.
Once I removed all the support stakes, it was pretty floppy. That's a good sign that the buds were densely heavy.
Oh I didn't need that to tell me the buds were dense and heavy...I used my eyes. 👀

They look solid as a rock, that's what those buds are!
I'm pretty happy with what I got.
Us too us too! Plus everything in the bowl. :thumb:

Highya Beez'

Congratulations on your harvest! This was a very good year for growing lots of bud!! I had minimal botrytis over here. A lot less than usual, and I didn't spray but once! Nice trim job. Buds look very trichome laden. Very nice! I'm also curious about if you planned to harvest in November? Happy Smokin'

Back
Top Bottom