Outdoor Growing With BeezLuiz

Oh, the American Pie is an auto! :oops:
Yeah, sorry I didn't share that piece of info earlier.
Looking good, and very nice of you to do the transplanting of the DGD before you pass it along. :high-five:
I want to make sure it's done correctly so my share of his harvest is as good as it can be. :laughtwo: However, since I gave him all my GeoFlora, I won't be able to amend the soil prior to transplant.

Yeah, I did that with the other plants I gave him. I completely spaced out and gave him all of the GeoFlora. I guess I could make an extra trip to his house a few days before transplant... or maybe this will be a good opportunity to compare the "with/without" GF transplant methods. :p

I'm still trying to catch everyone up on this season's grow activities. Today we're gonna talk about the two photo plants that I'm going to grow this year. I'm pretty excited about them, and they are both from @Weed Seeds Express. I started a Granddaddy Purple and a Purple Haze on 4/11 and they promptly sprouted on 4/15. :party:

Here they are hanging out in back of my grow light space on day 29.

I transplanted them into 20 gallon fiber pots on 5/27. I used a mixture of recycled FFOF, new FFOF, and a custom blend from my local grow shop.
If you followed my journal last year, you might notice that my plant trolleys now have front wheels! While last year's trolleys worked great, there were times - especially toward the end of the grow - that it was still a bit awkward to move them long distances. The retrofit didn't take long, but added about $100 to the cost of the two trolleys. Well worth it if they prevent back pain. The trolley build and retrofit guild can be found in my signature - you know, the one most people never pay attention to.;)

By June 2, the plants were looking pretty good and Purple Haze was ready for a 2nd topping and some LST.

The next pic shows where I topped - the scissors mark the spot. The lower arrow points to the 1st topping location, while the other arrow points to the other location that will get topped next.
Here's what Purple Haze looked liked after I topped and removed the bottom node.

The Granddaddy Purple got the same treatment a couple days later.

With the LST I'm trying to not only flatten the top shoots, but also to rotate left/right some of the lower shoots to fill in some open spaces and to prevent nodes stacking directly above another. After about a week, they are shaping up and filling in nicely.
and SaugaView®

and SaugaView®

And finally, here's a group shot of the two taken yesterday.

Great job on the training, Beez- I've never done the multi topping thing- I'll try that on my next outdoor photo plant (present ones are both autos, or I'd try it now)
rotate left/right some of the lower shoots to fill in some open spaces
As long as you're training them, might as well put 'em where you want 'em ;)

My American Pie (auto) is still trying to ripen up. It's currently at 92 days from sprout and still has fresh pistil stigmas popping and also still pretty thirsty - wanting water every 2 - 3 days.

The breeder claims it'll be ready for harvest in 60 days so it's way overdue, but I still see a good deal of clear trichomes. I'm thinking maybe in a couple days I chop. What do you all think?

A couple days ago, I transplanted my other two autos: Zamaldelica (Ace Seeds) and Gorilla Cookies (Fast Buds) into 3 gallon fiber pots. They are currently 16 days from sprout. Almost ready to be topped. I'm keeping them under the NextLight Core until they start to flower, and then probably will move them outside.

That APa is a chonky beauty, Beez!
I'm thinking maybe in a couple days I chop. What do you all think?
As long as she's putting out fresh pistils she's still fattening up- plus, she's still a thirsty girl...and almost no amber trichs... I would say she's just not "ripe" quite yet....I think she'll go to day 100- maybe even a little longer.

As long as she's putting out fresh pistils she's still fattening up- plus, she's still a thirsty girl...and almost no amber trichs... I would say she's just not "ripe" quite yet....I think she'll go to day 100- maybe even a little longer.
You're probably spot on, Carcass. Every time I look closely, I think "a couple more days", but it's just taking so long. This is definitely the longest growing auto for me. It took 33 days of veg, and now 60 days of flower. I've waited this long, I guess another week is not so bad.

It's currently at 92 days from sprout and still has fresh pistil
Beautiful plants BZL. I’m currently in exactly the same position as my GG4 is 93 days from sprout today and still showing white pistols and just barely cloudy trichs with no amber at all.
I was hoping to have a bud cut dried and a light cure for Independence Day, but I’ve decided or I should say she has decided that’s not happening this year.

One of my autos (Jack Herer) went 112 days - sometimes they just take more time to mature.

That AP is looking like it’s almost at the point I like - most trichs just turned milky. I don’t really care for amber in a hybrid - it makes me sleepy when I come back down.

She is a real beauty Beez, giving you some beautiful chunky buds!

My new policy is, take a tester bud! :yummy: Normally I would say wait, seeing little bits of clear still inside quite a few of the cloudy trichs. BUT, I harvested my previous critical purple kush even earlier than yours is at right now, and it’s the family favorite smoke. Judging by the trichs is cool too, I think for me, I just gotta see how it feels to really know.

I was hoping to have a bud cut dried and a light cure for Independence Day, but I’ve decided or I should say she has decided that’s not happening this year.
I agree, July 4th is probably out of the question for my plant as well. Especially since I want to dry it with the "Low and Slow" refrigerator method.
That AP is looking like it’s almost at the point I like - most trichs just turned milky. I don’t really care for amber in a hybrid - it makes me sleepy when I come back down.
I see your problem here, Felipe... you just need to "not come down". That should solve it. ;)
My new policy is, take a tester bud! :yummy: Normally I would say wait, seeing little bits of clear still inside quite a few of the cloudy trichs. BUT, I harvested my previous critical purple kush even earlier than yours is at right now, and it’s the family favorite smoke. Judging by the trichs is cool too, I think for me, I just gotta see how it feels to really know.
Normally this plant would be in my window for harvest, but after getting 4 of my plants lab-tested last season, I realize that I've been taking my plants too early. Only 1 of those 4 plants contained any trace of CBN, and my Killer Haze only tested out at 5% THC (was expecting something above 20%). I'm gonna try waiting a bit longer on my plants this season, and we'll see how they smoke. I do like the "tester" suggestion, though.

I don't believe I've mentioned another project I currently have going on in the grow room. Last season my son grew a White Widow and an Alaskan Purple outdoors in his backyard. Evidently, one of his neighbors was also growing and had a male in their batch, as both of these plants had maybe 100 seeds each that we found during harvest.

As a project, I decided to sprout a few each of these seeds. My son already has a couple friends willing to take these for their grow this summer. Since the father is Unknown, I decided to call the seeds coming from the Alaskan Purple mother "Alaskan Mystery", and the seeds from White Widow will be called "What Widow". :cheesygrinsmiley:

Most of the seeds didn't sprout, but I got 7 pretty good ones. Hopefully they won't all be males. Here's a pic of them at 17 days. The ones in red solo cups are Alaskan Mystery and blue are the What Widows.

Since I only had two of the What Widows sprout, I tried soaking another batch and got two more to sprout. I left the remaining uncracked seeds in a damp paper towel and forgot about them until almost a week later. :rolleyes: To my surprise one of them had sprouted! The tap root was about 3 inches long and growing throughout the paper towel. It was albino since it had no light or nutrients for its entire existence.

Just for grins I put it in soil - paper towel and all. Here's a picture of it a couple days later. It actually has some color to it now.
And as of yesterday, here it is a couple more days later. It's actually growing!!

I think I'll keep this one. :laughtwo:

I don't believe I've mentioned another project I currently have going on in the grow room. Last season my son grew a White Widow and an Alaskan Purple outdoors in his backyard. Evidently, one of his neighbors was also growing and had a male in their batch, as both of these plants had maybe 100 seeds each that we found during harvest.

As a project, I decided to sprout a few each of these seeds. My son already has a couple friends willing to take these for their grow this summer. Since the father is Unknown, I decided to call the seeds coming from the Alaskan Purple mother "Alaskan Mystery", and the seeds from White Widow will be called "What Widow". :cheesygrinsmiley:

Most of the seeds didn't sprout, but I got 7 pretty good ones. Hopefully they won't all be males. Here's a pic of them at 17 days. The ones in red solo cups are Alaskan Mystery and blue are the What Widows.

Since I only had two of the What Widows sprout, I tried soaking another batch and got two more to sprout. I left the remaining uncracked seeds in a damp paper towel and forgot about them until almost a week later. :rolleyes: To my surprise one of them had sprouted! The tap root was about 3 inches long and growing throughout the paper towel. It was albino since it had no light or nutrients for its entire existence.

Just for grins I put it in soil - paper towel and all. Here's a picture of it a couple days later. It actually has some color to it now.
And as of yesterday, here it is a couple more days later. It's actually growing!!

I think I'll keep this one. :laughtwo:
Wow, what a little survivor!! Can’t wait to see what that little tadpole does!! :cheer:

Back
Top Bottom