PCaddict's 1st Grow Journal

I put my post on Sticks thread and thought I was on my thread ... Anyway this is half of what we got 17.3 oz. Wet trimmed I know it will not be near that once dried but we got more than I thought we would. That's our biggest bud too. Not sure what the dry weight will be but if my half is over an oz. I will consider myself lucky
20191018_114914.jpg
20191018_114844.jpg

Nice wet trim ... and looking at those cuttings ... 2 oz at 62% is reasonable.

If you are going to wash the buds before hanging ...

Wash Option1 - Used in commercial kitchens, if mold is present and common for outdoor grows.

Sterilize buds very gently for 5 seconds to 30 seconds in 10:1 3% H2O2 and 20 litres (5 gallons) water at 25°C (78°F) .
Rinse once very gently for 5 seconds in 20 litres (5 gallons) water at 15°C (60°F) .
Rinse once very gently for 5 seconds in 20 litres (5 gallons) water at 20°C (68°F) .
Spin the branch gently between your palms to throw off any excess water drops.

IMG_20190828_175012.jpg
With my indoor grow ... the plants were not very dirty.​

Wash Option 2 - using lemon juice and baking soda may have been debunked.

Here's a snippet from the article I read on using lemon juice and baking soda:

I'd simply just use a mild hydrogen peroxide water mix. It's just as natural and actually does what you want, it is extremely effective at killing microbes, and naturally foams when it reacts with such helping to clear debris...this happens on a chemical level basically meaning every spot it touches is near instantly sanitized and microscopic debris lifts up with the bubbles. If this reaction is strong enough you see lots of bubbles, hence why your cuts foam.

The lemon juice as an antiseptic is not accurate. If anything the sulfur dioxide (sulfite) in the plastic bottle lemon juice you're using is doing the sanitation. It's the same stuff erupted from volcanoes, burned off of petroleum, and is known as a mild nerve agent which blocks signals to the pulmonary system. I don't make this up look for yourself. If you're going for natural you need to stop using that. They are preservatives and fungicides, also likely why you don't mold when you do this, and why they dry faster. The sulfites cause faster drying. You will not wash it all off it's as simple as that. Actual lemon juice has an extremely mild effect on preventing further growth of bacteria due to its acidic nature but will not kill anything directly unless extreme pH fluctuations (fluctuation being key) cause death but you would need much more concentrated solutions with 5 gallons of water. That being said you're neutralizing the acid with the alkaline baking soda (sodium bicarbonate). Thus you are not sanitizing anything and the only effect you have left is the supposed "foaming" action. But the 1 cup of baking soda to 5 gallons of water doesn't come close to saturating the water. This means you have a full dilution and no granules to "blast" the dirt off. Unless you shake it like a mad man you will not create enough friction between the suspended particles and the water which means it won't bubble or foam enough to do anything widespread across all surface areas. Most of those bubbles are localized air bubbles you've introduced by bobbing the bud up and down. This is not an effective way to get dust and microbes off--maybe for large debris like bugs and dirt chunks. You'd really have to shake it and it won't work well, especially not that gentle caress you're giving it!

With that said, if you think it does all that then I won't stop ya! Right on brother!

Nice wet trim ... and looking at those cuttings ... 2 oz at 62% is reasonable.

If you are going to wash the buds before hanging ...

Wash Option1 - Used in commercial kitchens, if mold is present and common for outdoor grows.

Sterilize buds very gently for 5 seconds to 30 seconds in 10:1 3% H2O2 and 20 litres (5 gallons) water at 25°C (78°F) .
Rinse once very gently for 5 seconds in 20 litres (5 gallons) water at 15°C (60°F) .
Rinse once very gently for 5 seconds in 20 litres (5 gallons) water at 20°C (68°F) .
Spin the branch gently between your palms to throw off any excess water drops.

IMG_20190828_175012.jpg
With my indoor grow ... the plants were not very dirty.​

Wash Option 2 - using lemon juice and baking soda may have been debunked.

Here's a snippet from the article I read on using lemon juice and baking soda:

I'd simply just use a mild hydrogen peroxide water mix. It's just as natural and actually does what you want, it is extremely effective at killing microbes, and naturally foams when it reacts with such helping to clear debris...this happens on a chemical level basically meaning every spot it touches is near instantly sanitized and microscopic debris lifts up with the bubbles. If this reaction is strong enough you see lots of bubbles, hence why your cuts foam.

The lemon juice as an antiseptic is not accurate. If anything the sulfur dioxide (sulfite) in the plastic bottle lemon juice you're using is doing the sanitation. It's the same stuff erupted from volcanoes, burned off of petroleum, and is known as a mild nerve agent which blocks signals to the pulmonary system. I don't make this up look for yourself. If you're going for natural you need to stop using that. They are preservatives and fungicides, also likely why you don't mold when you do this, and why they dry faster. The sulfites cause faster drying. You will not wash it all off it's as simple as that. Actual lemon juice has an extremely mild effect on preventing further growth of bacteria due to its acidic nature but will not kill anything directly unless extreme pH fluctuations (fluctuation being key) cause death but you would need much more concentrated solutions with 5 gallons of water. That being said you're neutralizing the acid with the alkaline baking soda (sodium bicarbonate). Thus you are not sanitizing anything and the only effect you have left is the supposed "foaming" action. But the 1 cup of baking soda to 5 gallons of water doesn't come close to saturating the water. This means you have a full dilution and no granules to "blast" the dirt off. Unless you shake it like a mad man you will not create enough friction between the suspended particles and the water which means it won't bubble or foam enough to do anything widespread across all surface areas. Most of those bubbles are localized air bubbles you've introduced by bobbing the bud up and down. This is not an effective way to get dust and microbes off--maybe for large debris like bugs and dirt chunks. You'd really have to shake it and it won't work well, especially not that gentle caress you're giving it!

With that said, if you think it does all that then I won't stop ya! Right on brother!
I wondered about Hydrogen peroxide I didn't know and used the Lemon Juice and Baking Soda. We trimmed them close on some of them so no way to hang dry. Thanks for the info.

I am going to turn mine into butter once they dry. I have the wet trimmed leaves so I am going to try to make something from it. I put them straight into the freezer, not sure if I can use them in the Magic Butter Machine, Maybe use some coconut oil and make a salve with it, I wonder if they would make a low potency oil using Olive Oil not sure yet.

I am going to turn mine into butter once they dry. I have the wet trimmed leaves so I am going to try to make something from it. I put them straight into the freezer, not sure if I can use them in the Magic Butter Machine, Maybe use some coconut oil and make a salve with it, I wonder if they would make a low potency oil using Olive Oil not sure yet.

Let's make sure you are tracking correctly with the drying phase ...

As for freezing cannabis ... that might not be a good idea ...

Freezing Marijuana

Let’s start with freezing marijuana. In short, this is not the way to go. While one may think that freezing cannabis could have its perks like slowing down the aging process or helping the buds stay firm, actually the opposite is true.

Most cannabis is aged for multiple days after the harvest to dry out and cure the buds, so by the time it hits the shelves it is already cured and ready to use. However, as cannabis sits, it continues to decarboxylate, which is the process that transfers THC-A into the psychoactive THC we all know and love. Lower temperatures like that of a freezer will slow down if not halt completely the decarboxylation process, leading to less potent cannabis over time.

Another downside to freezing cannabis is the fragility of the THC crystals that sit on the outside of the buds, also known as trichomes, one of the main factors in the potency of cannabis. As temperatures drop, trichomes will freeze and fall off, decreasing potency. However, freezing cannabis can be useful for making concentrates such as an ice-bubble hash or other concentrates made from frozen cannabis product.

You can hang dry using string and a coat hanger.

How and where are you going to do the initial dry then?
Low and Slow. Put them in paper bags and in the fridge for two weeks turning every day then in jars and burb twice a day for another 2 to 3 weeks I don't need to cure I am making butter with it. To get the majority of the water off I am goin to take them and put on a rack on top of a bucket to drip dry first then in the paper lunch bags in the fridge

Let's make sure you are tracking correctly with the drying phase ...

As for freezing cannabis ... that might not be a good idea ...

Freezing Marijuana

Let’s start with freezing marijuana. In short, this is not the way to go. While one may think that freezing cannabis could have its perks like slowing down the aging process or helping the buds stay firm, actually the opposite is true.

Most cannabis is aged for multiple days after the harvest to dry out and cure the buds, so by the time it hits the shelves it is already cured and ready to use. However, as cannabis sits, it continues to decarboxylate, which is the process that transfers THC-A into the psychoactive THC we all know and love. Lower temperatures like that of a freezer will slow down if not halt completely the decarboxylation process, leading to less potent cannabis over time.

Another downside to freezing cannabis is the fragility of the THC crystals that sit on the outside of the buds, also known as trichomes, one of the main factors in the potency of cannabis. As temperatures drop, trichomes will freeze and fall off, decreasing potency. However, freezing cannabis can be useful for making concentrates such as an ice-bubble hash or other concentrates made from frozen cannabis product.
I intend to make either an oil with it or a salve so I think it will be ok until I do next week maybe I will put it in the fridge too

many people keep trim from multiple harvests until they have a sufficient amount to make bubble hash or whatever...before I head south, I vacuum seal the bulk of my produce...I have a few bags even from 2016 that are still nice after 4 years...cheerz... :high-five: ...h00k...:hookah:...

This is what I took from the harvest I let my buddy keep the big colas and bigger bud

Attachments

• 20191018_151250.jpg
    20191018_151250.jpg
    871.2 KB · Views: 16
Low and Slow. Put them in paper bags and in the fridge for two weeks turning every day then in jars and burb twice a day for another 2 to 3 weeks I don't need to cure I am making butter with it. To get the majority of the water off I am goin to take them and put on a rack on top of a bucket to drip dry first then in the paper lunch bags in the fridge

You are using the Lotus cure ... low and slow.

Maybe I'm missing something ...

Your goal is to complete an initial dry phase ... and then decarboxylate using an oven.

The lotus cure ... low and slow is more about curing and less about drying ... right?

I'm not seeing what the advantage of drying slowly is if you are going to decarboxylate using an oven.

My understanding is that the Lotus cure ... low and slow ... is to remove chlorophyll and other harsh elements, minimize mold growth, increase some potency naturally, and to bring out terpenes ... if you plan to decarboxylate using a joint/vaporizer ... right?

Do we really need to remove remove chlorophyll and other harsh elements if we are going to decarboxylate using an oven and make butter?

I plan on doing this soon ... so I am interested in getting this straight.

I still have the trim from my last 4 rounds in ziplocks. IDK what to use it for, I just know I don't want to throw it out, lol.

many people keep trim from multiple harvests until they have a sufficient amount to make bubble hash or whatever...before I head south, I vacuum seal the bulk of my produce...I have a few bags even from 2016 that are still nice after 4 years...cheerz... :high-five: ...h00k...:hookah:...

Thanks @dr.h00k ... vacuum sealing makes sense ... it prevents air from getting in ...

Do we just store the vacuum sealed trimmings in a cool dark place?

If people could give feedback on freezing too ... that would be great ...

You are using the Lotus cure ... low and slow.

Maybe I'm missing something ...

Your goal is to complete an initial dry phase ... and then decarboxylate using an oven.

The lotus cure ... low and slow is more about curing and less about drying ... right?

I'm not seeing what the advantage of drying slowly is if you are going to decarboxylate using an oven.

My understanding is that the Lotus cure ... low and slow ... is to remove chlorophyll and other harsh elements, minimize mold growth, increase some potency naturally, and to bring out terpenes ... if you plan to decarboxylate using a joint/vaporizer ... right?

Do we really need to remove remove chlorophyll and other harsh elements if we are going to decarboxylate using an oven and make butter?

I plan on doing this soon ... so I am interested in getting this straight.
According to Intheshed you want to dry before making butter to get out the moisture and Chlorophyll. I have never done it before, we discussed it in earlier post. He will be laid up for a bit but when he gets back I will ask him why. I just don't want to mess it up so I have been taking advice from the seasoned growers here who have graciously given their input. I have made butter plenty of times but I have never dried and cured before I was going by the Low and Slow technique

Thanks @dr.h00k ... vacuum sealing makes sense ... it prevents air from getting in ...

Mr.Magoo knows about the low and slow thing maybe he will give his input once he reads the post.

About the Freezing thing I am just going by what I have seen others do in videos, Maybe I will save enough for a while and try making bubble hash I would LOVE to try some

According to Intheshed you want to dry before making butter to get out the moisture and Chlorophyll. I have never done it before, we discussed it in earlier post. He will be laid up for a bit but when he gets back I will ask him why. I just don't want to mess it up so I have been taking advice from the seasoned growers here who have graciously given their input. I have made butter plenty of times but I have never dried and cured before I was going by the Low and Slow technique

I am hoping to make some butter this weekend ... so I am researching this now.

Right now I have some cannabis curing at 62% ... and some cannabis still drying at 85% ...

My goal is to figure out how long I need to dry for before I can make cannabutter ... average length of time and an RH value ...

Basically ... is the taste and quality of the cannabutter affected by the nature of the cannabis we start with right before decarboxylation in an oven ...

The information is out there ... we just have to track it down and get other tips and tricks from the veterans ...

About the Freezing thing I am just going by what I have seen others do in videos, Maybe I will save enough for a while and try making bubble hash I would LOVE to try some

Me too one day for sure ... :)

I did find this important snippet on hash though ...

Dry trim gives me brown hash, fresh and frozen trim gives me green hash. Freezing fresh trim causes the cells to rupture and you end up with mush that slips through the screen when doing ice water extraction resulting in a lot of plant matter in the hash.

Back
Top Bottom