Phyto's Phantastic Phebruary Phun With Photos

I had a black light and a bunch of bL posters when I was young. I bet some of them are collectable now. Mine had a lot of thumbtack holes in the corners, lol. My first grow light was a pair of 4' fluorescent shop lights. It gave me all of 20W per sq foot. It worked ok for veg but I never got dense buds. Eight foot VHO (very high output) fluorescents were popular, too, but really expensive, and no fluorescent bulb lasted more than a grow or two before it got dim. Then HIDs hit the market in the late 70's and my shop lights became obsolete for growing.

Here's one for the FFHF gardeners...

happyfrogs.jpg

I had a black light and a bunch of bL posters when I was young. I bet some of them are collectable now. Mine had a lot of thumbtack holes in the corners, lol. My first grow light was a pair of 4' fluorescent shop lights. It gave me all of 20W per sq foot. It worked ok for veg but I never got dense buds. Eight foot VHO (very high output) fluorescents were popular, too, but really expensive, and no fluorescent bulb lasted more than a grow or two before it got dim. Then HIDs hit the market in the late 70's and my shop lights became obsolete for growing.
I found a few of my old BL posters about 10 years ago, which would make them about 40 years old, but the paper they used was not acid free, and they were extremely brittle, tried to unroll them, the ink chipped off and they bascially tore and disintegrated.

Not sure if #6 will make it, phound the seed sitting on top of the soil, root didn't look good. I dropped another just in case.

Here's the pics!
IMG_0298.jpg
Congrats on the babies PP and it really is so nice to see some green!

So, the babies are coming along nicely, starting on their third set oph true leaves. It's been about 10 days since they popped above ground. Phour are doing real well, one is tiny, but it was one of the smallest seeds I've had that actually germinated, and seems to be starting to kick in. One simply didn't make it (my phault) and a new seed was cracked a couple days ago and planted today. Temps are a little low (low to mid 70's) and the r/h is about 40%, but they are doing phine.

IMG_0303.jpg

Picked up the pots on the 4 larger seedlings and phound little white root tips sticking out the bottom! They got their first dose of 1/2 strength nutes a couple days ago, and they seemed to like it. I went halph strength on the nutes because the seed starter mix (Black Gold) has some nutes in it. Going to wait for another couple sets of leaves and then put them in their phinal homes and phire up the HLG lights. At least one oph them, judging from the petioles and stem, seems to have a rather strong pheno for purple, what a shame! (LOL)

So the babies are coming along nicely, been about two weeks since they broke ground. Phour are doing very well. My replacement Amnesia is above ground now, it had "helmet head", but a drop of water on the seed coat, waited 20 minutes the seed coat slid right oph. The last one, that I've dubbed "Screwey Looey" (Louise) is phinally starting to respond. Got a second shot (literally a shotglass) of nutes yesterday, and they seem to love it. The weather here has been very cold (for Caliphornia), and as a result the R/H in the garage has been very low (30-35%), I was able to get the R/H up to about 45% by lightly watering the soil in the their phinal home bags, temps are around 72-77 degrees. I'm running them at about 18/6, to save money. I have them oph from 4 PM to 10 pm, which is peak pricing for electricity.

The replacement amnesia:

IMG_0307.jpg

The rest of the babes with Screwy Looey:
IMG_0306 (2).jpg

The weather has been pretty cold, so yesterday I laid a thermometer outside the tent on the garage phloor , which is a slab, this morning it read 54 degrees. The pots are in catch pans and then raised up on 2x4's to allow drainage, so I don't think I'll have any root zone cold issues. What I also phound this morning is that "Screwy Looey" had increased in size by about 30% overnight, and while it is still to soon to tell, it may have whorled phyllotaxy. The biggst surprise I got was with the original amnesia that I gave up for dead. I didn't have the heart to toss it, so I kept the soil moist and under the lights, the poor thing had a mostly shriveled tap root, the cotyledons were dead, but today I see two tiny green leaves (like 1/8 inch) that appear to be growing, so I'm hopeful that it might survive.

Back
Top Bottom