QuadZilla's First Soil Grow, Sour Apple! SCROG

QuadZilla

I'm starting my First medical grow today after much planning and little actually getting done. So after several false starts with others, a few hundred dollars, 6 stolen/lost babies(I thought of them as such anyways), me and my friend finally decided to say screw it, we'll have a go at it by ourselves(and hopefully a little help from you guys).

Basic Info:
Bucket Size - 3 gallon
Medium - Lotus Sea Farm Indoor Organic(Not Entirely sure on this, will update when back at grow)
Lights - (1) 400w HID Agro Sun with digital ballast and hood, 600w to be decided based on heat.
Nutrients - A personal line from a major companies chemists that was recomended by the local Hydro shop, Epsom Salts, molasses, and open to any sugestions, but currently just sitting in the good 'ol organic soil till the girls are aclimated.
Strain - Sour Apple(Sour Diesel x Green Apple) 4 plants in a scrog

We're fairly hampered by our space. It is literally a closet grow, and a fairly ghetto one at that.

IMAG01061.jpg

The area to the left is what we'll be using.

IMAG01071.jpg

I will be building a small wall/door combo to fully block off the area in the next day or so.

IMAG01101.jpg

My baby girls hanging out with superman.

Their is a vent fan to be installed tonight, as well as an oscillating ionic fan. I put the batteries in the new RH/Temp Gauge and should have a decent idea of what temps will look like later tonight.

Made a run to the hydro shop to buy the soil and pots, after transplanting, this is finally starting to look like a real grow. ;)

That's it for now, I'll be taking some better photos tonight, will post again in a day or so. Any and all advice is more than welcome. :)

So my lil 4 plant scrog just took a turn for the bigger, much bigger. :grinjoint: We've expanded to two 400w lights, and taken over the whole closet. We now have 18 plants on 3 wheeled platforms. There are now a total of 12 Sour Apples, 4 Purps, and 4 Vanilla Purps(Vanilla Kush x DC Purps). New venting had to be installed, and now the 160cf room is being vented 2x a min via a 250 cfm booster fan venting into the attic. Today or tomorrow we will be redirecting some of the house's AC into a new vent opposite the exhaust. Ive started them on nutes, which i once again forgot to check the name of, as well as a regiment of Hygrozyme. BTW, my soil is the Roots Organic Indoor mix, I was a lot high when i did the first planting and horribly misread Roots as Lotus. Here's some pics.

IMAG01231.jpg

I think my phone doesn't like the new magnetic ballast. The far six plants are a new set of Sour Apple, the four closest are some Purps a friend of mine ended up having too many of.

IMAG01242.jpg

Here you can see where the new Magnetic Ballast's footprint fades into the electric one. We once again see the four Purps, plus my new favorites, Vanilla Purps, a Vanilla Kush x DC Purps cross, with some super healthy roots and beautiful growth. :)

IMAG01252.jpg

Here are the original four Sour Apple's, plus two new ones.

I'm not gonna bother posting the third platform as the weird striping from the magnetic ballast makes it almost impossible to see anything.

Screens are being made, and at least one will be in place for the largest 6 of the Sour Apple. Any advice on whether or not i should dish the screen is welcome. I'm looking for quality first, then greatest yield possible in my limited space. So basically any advice as far as a first time grower trying to get the most yield but keep the veg time down, as this grow is meant to be a one off deal until my credit score goes up a few more points and i can move into a more secure apartment.

Thanks for any input. :smokin:

Hi Quadzilla, :welcome: to the 420Magazine forums.
Thanx for starting a grow journal.
Hope you enjoy all 420 has to offer.
Keep up the good work.
:peace:

Good looking setup quadzilla.What do you plan to use for the screen?I would start some LST on them girls and get them prepped for life under the screen.It will also help the shorter branches catch up to the tops.You will also want to keep training them a couple weeks into flower during the stretch 3 weeks is what i did.I would recomend only 2 to 2.5 weeks of training under the screen so your colas get a little longer. If you dont train them after the switch to 12\12 than it will be a sea of green and you will be loosing the whole point of the scrog.MY 2 CENTS check out my signature scrog grow.
and + reps for the upgrade

So I feel its time for an update. Our growing mentor stopped by a few days ago to check out how things were going. I knew we had some heat issues, but I hadn't realized just how bad until he said to expect it to set us back a week. The next day i was crawling around in the crawl space redirecting some AC lines and now we have fresh, cool air pumping into our lil closet. The room is now in the high 70's with lights on, and low 70's lights off. Humidity is a little low, and only jst stays in the 40's. After a few days of good air and some foliar feeding, the girls are looking much better, and the runt of the Purps even made it. The decision has been made to only scrog the original four plus the two healthiest of the new SA. This is based on the veg time it would take to get even the other SA plants up to speed, and a fear of over vegging the screen. From this point all other plants will be LST only, in order to conserve the main crop of the Scrog. And here's Some update pics.

IMAG01321.jpg

Here it finally is, a nice screened off platform with 6 very healthy Sour Apple plants veggn out.

IMAG0133.jpg

Here is my favorite SA, she started out a lil bit shorter, but man is she bushy. By far the closest nodes and fastest to put on new growth.

IMAG0134.jpg

This is more typical of the rest in the scrog, more stretched out.

IMAG0137.jpg

Here's the Vanilla Purps all trimmed up, I'm not expecting high yields from such little plants, but based on its genetic history, this was probably gonna be personal stash anyways. :smokin:

IMAG0138.jpg

The Purps are having a hard time coming out of flower, our mentor showed us a few that had the same issue, and are doing well now, but I don't know if we'll have time to reveg these fully, any advice is more than welcome on how to make these more than sog plantlets in 3gal pots.

IMAG0139.jpg

Here's the runt of the litter, we didn't think she'd make it at first. We still might try to replace it with a more viable plant, as it would be lucky to produce much more than a couple of grams at this point.

Well thanks for watching and feel free to chime in with any kind of advice, even if it seems obvious to you. You never know what you forgot until it bites you in the @55. And have fun smokin' :tokin:

So our next obstacle to hurdle has reared its ugly little head. Fungus gnats...
Unfortunately we're in between paychecks, so we had to use some food safe pyrethine based spray that I had at my house. But that's not enough. and we know that, so I need advice on super cheap/free ways to combat these damn pests would be great.

On a more positive not we have the room down to 75.

And thanks everyone who has dropped in to check out my grow. :tokin:

I apologize if this is typed poorly, but my bong was just asking to be hit, kept looking and me sideways and disrespecting me, so I hit it a few times. It aint lookn at me funny no more. :bong::bong::bong:

So our next obstacle to hurdle has reared its ugly little head. Fungus gnats...
Unfortunately we're in between paychecks, so we had to use some food safe pyrethine based spray that I had at my house. But that's not enough. and we know that, so I need advice on super cheap/free ways to combat these damn pests would be great.

On a more positive not we have the room down to 75.

And thanks everyone who has dropped in to check out my grow. :tokin:

I apologize if this is typed poorly, but my bong was just asking to be hit, kept looking and me sideways and disrespecting me, so I hit it a few times. It aint lookn at me funny no more. :bong::bong::bong:

Hey bro looks great.I used GoGnats and a bunch of the yellow sticky fly traps and murderd them period.It was like $30 bucks but well worth it.You said you needed a cheap fix so what I would do is go spend 3-4 dollars on some play sand and put about 1/2 of an inch on the top of your soil also get some tape and tape the bottom holes shut between feeding so they cant get in through there.I would also spend a couple bucks on a hot shots no pest strip from walmart or home depot for a couple bucks to keep them out.These work great to prevent spidermites as well but you want to pull them out of the room 2-3 weeks before harvet.I hope this helps.:goodluck:

So this morning I went to Lowe's, and bought some Pest Strips, diatomaceous earth, and a neem oil based spray. In addition we bought a small bag of blood meal as a nitrogen boost for the ladies as they enter their last week or so of veg. We fed and watered them, then sprayed the plants and stalk down with a misting of neem oil, then sprinkled the DE and hung the traps. Hopefully this will do the trick, We plan to spray tomorrow, then every other day for a week, just to be sure, and will make sure to reapply the DE after watering. We may purchase some Perlite for the top of the pots, as I've read that this can help. Any other advice is welcome on how to treat this infestation or prevent a reocurance.

In other news, the second set of SA girls is responding well to the lst, and about three of them are bushing out real well. The others are showing new growth and branching but are still fairly twiglike. If I ever doubted the genetics of my Vanilla Purps, I sure don;t now. When trimming them, i rolled a leaf in my fingers to smell it, and their is the nice husky aroma of Purps, as well as a DISTINCT scent of vanilla. :yahoo: Can't wait to clone a mother of this stuff, I imagine the taste will be sublime. Will update again with results of the gnat battle. :ganjamon:

So this morning I went to Lowe's, and bought some Pest Strips, diatomaceous earth, and a neem oil based spray. In addition we bought a small bag of blood meal as a nitrogen boost for the ladies as they enter their last week or so of veg. We fed and watered them, then sprayed the plants and stalk down with a misting of neem oil, then sprinkled the DE and hung the traps. Hopefully this will do the trick, We plan to spray tomorrow, then every other day for a week, just to be sure, and will make sure to reapply the DE after watering. We may purchase some Perlite for the top of the pots, as I've read that this can help. Any other advice is welcome on how to treat this infestation or prevent a reocurance.

In other news, the second set of SA girls is responding well to the lst, and about three of them are bushing out real well. The others are showing new growth and branching but are still fairly twiglike. If I ever doubted the genetics of my Vanilla Purps, I sure don;t now. When trimming them, i rolled a leaf in my fingers to smell it, and their is the nice husky aroma of Purps, as well as a DISTINCT scent of vanilla. :yahoo: Can't wait to clone a mother of this stuff, I imagine the taste will be sublime. Will update again with results of the gnat battle. :ganjamon:

Good sounds like your gonna get it under control.I think the gnats can still get through the perlite. Use play sand it will be cheaper.And dont forget to tape the bottom holes to keep them lil bastards fro getting in and out down there.

So we seem to have most of the gnats killed. We only see one or two fliers, and day 5 with no larvae coming out. Thanks for the advice about the bottom holes SpiderPig, seems to be their last holdout, the DE, neem oil, no pest strips, and pyrethins seem to have done the trick. Maybe a little bit over kill, but better safe than sorry.
The plants are just loving that Nitrogen. :) New growth is shooting off in all directions, and each day needs to be tucked under the screen. Pics will be up when I have time, I work tomorrow in 5 hours, and i'm still not the least bit tired. Pics up Sat or so, Friday is a fat trip to the city for my friends scripts and a huge club hopping spree. :grinjoint:
Thanks all for the help. :thanks:

So we seem to have most of the gnats killed. We only see one or two fliers, and day 5 with no larvae coming out. Thanks for the advice about the bottom holes SpiderPig, seems to be their last holdout, the DE, neem oil, no pest strips, and pyrethins seem to have done the trick. Maybe a little bit over kill, but better safe than sorry.
The plants are just loving that Nitrogen. :) New growth is shooting off in all directions, and each day needs to be tucked under the screen. Pics will be up when I have time, I work tomorrow in 5 hours, and i'm still not the least bit tired. Pics up Sat or so, Friday is a fat trip to the city for my friends scripts and a huge club hopping spree. :grinjoint:
Thanks all for the help. :thanks:

Sweet That shhht works for sure.Just make sure to pull those no pest strips out a few weeks before your done flowering so it has time to go away 100%. You dont want that shhht in your buds.

So once again things changed up big time, we decided that the purps and vanilla purps just were not gonna be worth throwing into 12/12 yet. While trying to figure out what to do, my mentor had 24 clones take root with another 24 still in the tray, and a new hydro setup he had just put together, but didn't have space for yet. So, lond story short, the purps are sitting under a 24/7 t5, and in their place is a brand new 3x2 ebb&flood tray, sporting 1 g13, 4 of my friend's purp, and 19 Sour Grapes. The Vanilla Purps are sitting on the side of the hydro's platform. I'll try to get some pics up soon with a good digital camera.
The screen is doing great, we just trimmed it, and will be giving them, the lst'd plants, and the sog tray one more week of veg, then time to flip. :slide:

So time for some pics:smokin:

IMAG0188.jpg

here's the screen on the last day before the ebb & flood was installed. The girls got super bushy.

IMAG0195.jpg

And here they are two days ago, and last day before they flipped. We trimmed them the day before.

IMAG0190.jpg

And the new ebb & flood table :grinjoint: Just brought into the house threw the window... :reading420magazine:

IMAG01961.jpg

And here it is in place in its new home. The 3 in the larger RW cubes along the bottom, as well as the top left, are being put in a passive tray and replaced with a few more Sour Grapes that just rooted, as the Grapes are already in bloom, and won't have to fight back like the purps we're gonna have to. Also, you can't see it, but all the grapes are throwing hairs, so they should finish off super fast and leave us with plenty of room to finish of the SA plants. :)

IMAG0197.jpg

Her's the lst'd SA's. They've really bushed out since comming home as little twigs. If I get to build a larger screen in the future, it will for sure be curved, and ill start by plants bent over like Sungod did in his scrog, I think it would help fill the screen a lot faster, and fill out more evenly over a larger space.

IMAG0186.jpg

Lol, and here's our new closet protector, hiding our babies from prying eyes. Btw, he's backlit by our grow lights.

Well, here's the latest pics. I finally got my hands on a decent camera, and will hopefully get some good pics tonight. Hopefully some nice close ups. Keep tokn :bong: and :grinjoint: and :roorrip: and ;) and :Rasta: and :tokin:

Thanks SanibelGreen. :smokin: I can't wait either.

One more thing, I forgot to mention why we flipped early. My friend's landlord got pissed about the room, cause some cops showed. They told us they had mutiple reports of gunfire coming from his backyard. BS This house used to be a major trouble house cause this tweaker couple lived in the garage, and would get into huge fights. So the cops would come out and bust them and their doped out little f*** tard friends. And by dope I mean crys. So they just wanted an excuse to come in and look around. Well they knocked in the middle of trimming, and my friend had his key on him when he answered the door. So long story short, he had some coppers come dancin threw our grow room. Since we had all our scripts in order, nothing they could do. But the landlord still wasn't happy. So now wer'e paying the Electric bill(our usage: $60 total, bill: $190, the $100 now being paid to them is extortion in my mind). So we're giving them a jump start into bloom mode with some KoolBloom at 1/4 strength.
End of rant. :lot-o-toke:

Back
Top Bottom