QuadZilla's First Soil Grow, Sour Apple! SCROG

My friend was already planning on moving out ASAP, and this whole thing was meant to finish out so he could move out. Cost recovery and bud to smoke means more $ in pocket. Him and a friend are talking to a guy who owns a house out in the cuts a bit, who is gonna rent them a 2 bedroom house with detached garage at the end of the season(actual season, as in its being rented out by migrant workers right now). Can u say full term? :smokin:

So my digital is no good at close ups, but still better than my phone, and I got an awesome lil panoramic.

100_13074.JPG

A fairly healthy SA that;s been lst'd. these are about 10" tall. If anyone has knowledge of Sour Diesel yields under a 400w that would be awesome.

100_13067.JPG

The underside of the screen. Tomorrow is payday, and that means a cloning station. When that's up, we'll give the SA plants their last trim or so.

100_13025.JPG

This is the top of one of the original 4 plants. the nodes are stacked on these, almost no real stretch.

100_13054.JPG

A sour grape. A few more clones took root andwill be replacing a purps in this tray.

100_13102.JPG

The Panoramic! I love this closet.

Hope you enjoyed :grinjoint:

Bout to leave to go camping, but uploaded pics from the last few days first. To see them all check my gallery.

IMAG0214.jpg

This is me scrambling out after taking a fat rip off the bong on the floor. Grape Kush is a major couck locker. :)

IMAG02271.jpg

A good shot of the top and bottom of the screen, its gettin dark down their.

IMAG02181.jpg

The lst'd plants have really bushed out as of late.

IMAG0230.jpg

Here you can see that it wants to start budding, I hope that when I come back from camping, they'll be totally different.

IMAG0233.jpg

And here's the hydro table.

Alright, i wanted to post more, but I gotta bail.

So I thought I'd post a mini update. To start with, no, neither I, nor my plants are dead. It's just that between some issues at work, and starting a new semester at a new college, and trying to grow, keeping a bunch of people I've never met updated was the lowest priority I had. I do have pictures, however, It's late and I only just got out of class and back home maybe 30min ago, and I have to work tomorrow morning. However, the hydro tray is looking great, we're just starting to see the hairs on the Sour Grapes turn orange, and they've gained a fair amount of crystals. The Mendo Purps in the tray are maybe 1 1/2 weeks behind the Grapes, so the grapes are going to be pulled at the last possible moment so the Mendo's get the max amount of time. The Lst'd SA's look great, and should produce well, I think they're done throwing hairs, and ar about to start swelling. The scrog though is a whole other thing. It has been a lot of work to train, trim, retrain, and trim again, over and over. However, I feel confident in saying that it will produce at least 1/3 more usable bud than the lst'd plants of comparable age. Big claim? maybe, But when I get pics posted you'll see just how dense the screen has become. Sitting level with it, I can't see my Droid phone through it, or over it. So at least a 4'' deep screen of buds is in my near future. :tokin:

So I lied, even though I'm exhausted, I still wanted to look around at others grows to see how I should do. Now, myself and my mentor think the the Sour Apples alone should yield at least 18oz min. And that's assuming that all 12 produce only 1.5oz each, and the lst'd plants should all hit that mark, 1 or 2 should get close to 2oz.

IMAG0280.jpg

I know Its not the greatest pic in terms of perspective, but they are all it about 14'' high and a solid 10'' in diameter, with some fringe twigs.

IMAG0281.jpg

A little bit easier to tell size, this is the same plant, and as you can tell, its basically buds on sticks. Know that the only fan leaves are on the lower half of the plant, and so the top is basically just the flowers.

Then there's the screen... It's a real beast...

IMAG0285.jpg

This has been a lot of work, but let me preface this next pic and say that both it, and the previous pic are from the scrog's weak side. The other half of the screen's bud's are literally twice as big, as this side was the most in the corner and received the least light.

IMAG0287.jpg

I'm freaking proud of my girls. At first our mentor was a bit skeptical of the screen idea, but now he's just floored by its density.

IMAG0282.jpg

And a nice side shot. I think I was extremely lucky with these genetics, as this plant has worked amazingly under this harsh training technique. Its structure is just right, and it has taken the heavy trimmings well.

Well, hopefully things calm down a bit and my updates are a bit more regular.

Oh, and P.S. We attempted to root some clones previously. We used a basic rooting hormone from Lowe's, a cheap under cabinet light from Wal-Mart, and a small dome and tray with a lil bit of hydroton on the bottom. I want to take this time to gloat a bit:tokin: As of 3 days ago, we have 44 of 50 clippings rooted. :smokin::smokin::smokin:

Nice looking grow; looks like you got a lot of stuff happening in your grow room, and the great thing is seeing the side-by-side of the Scrog and LSTs.

I'm doing an outdoor grow right now (hopefully soon to be moved indoors due to security issues). My next grow is going to be a ScroG for sure, despite all the old hippies (I say that endearingly) telling me to KIS and just grow plants 4 feet tall.

Btw, judging by your flowers your scrog is a couple weeks ahead of my outdoor. Really wish I would have had the opportunity to scrog or LST them after seeing how yours are going.

+rep

Thanks Sanibel. And to John, the screen is the way to go. The low stress training works well, and could very likely be great for early developement. I can only imagine if these had been vegged out full term. However, the shear density of buds per square inch is amazing. I guarantee that there is at least one bud per site. In fact, I believe another week of veg would have choked out the screen in its final stages and had massive bud rot. Just keep in mind that the screen is a lot of maintenance.

And btw, my friend and I just spent 6 hours building a 30"x52"x72'' closet after he called me from the hydro shop saying that he just bought a 4ft 8 light T5 set up for the clones to go under. So A new ebb&flood table is now in play :tokin:

Pics up tomorrow, too late this time.
:roorrip:

So the plants were watered and trimmed up a little bit. We also finished setting up the new ebb&flood table for the most part. Final count is at 30 plants, sitting under a 40,000 lumen T5 light set.

As a quick recap I want to point out how many different projects are going on right now.
6 Sour Apple plants under a 2'x3' screen
6 Sour Apple plants lst'd in a 2'x'3 area
27 plantlets, a majority of which are Sour Grapes, the others Mendo
7 plants outdoors, 4 Purps, 1 Vanilla Purps, and 2 unknown Sativa dominants
30 Sour Apples in 4" rockwool cubes floating in hydroton in a 2'x3' ebb&flood table

So we have way too much going on, but its fun, and we've had a lot of exposure to different growing styles.

If time permits, I'll set up the new T5 Ebb&Flood style table under its own thread in the next week. I'll post the pics there, as this grow journal has already split off far from its original intent.

:tokin:

Two more things I forgot to mention. The original hydro table we put in is getting Fat! The Sour Grapes Are smothered in crystals, and smell like DANK. The smell when we touch a leaf is overwhelming, its super skunky and super purple-y, so much so that, I can;t tell you how the Sour Apples smell is coming along, cause the Grapes completely overpower the room. We are just starting to see 1 or 2 hairs per bud start to turn orange, so we hope to be flushing within 2 weeks.

On a less positive note, we are still in a long, drawn out fight with gnats. We've tried pyrethins based sprays, neem oil sprays, GoGnats(completely useless), and even home remedies like cooking oil and dish soap. I know that you have to break the cycle of eggs and adults, but this seems impossible. The GoGnats was a waste of money, its no more than cedar saw dust in water, and did nothing to kill the lil buggers. We have watered with it 4 days apart, used it as a spray, and even poured some in the res of the hydro table. It has had no more effect than cooking oil and soap. We're at a loss. Any further advice for ideas this late into flowering would be great. The only thing that's worked is the diatemaceous earth, and that only works when its dry, so every watering makes it null and void, and I'm reluctant to continue adding more and more.

On a less

Subscribed.
As far as the gnat problem goes, you might check your grow shop and see if they sell predatory insects.
:goodluck:

A little pricey, but Hypoaspis miles should do the job. Most garden shops probably won't have them due to their short shelf life. Also, they do better with more light, so since they propagate in the soil, your ScroG might see less effect from them.

Also, they can be mixed into your soil pre-planting (though they only really propagate in the top inch or so). This might be a good preventative measure to protect seedlings/clones.

Just Google "Hypoaspis miles" or "gnat predators" if you want to find info and vendors online. I clicked a random vendor and they sell them for around $55 per 5,000 - including 2-day shipping.

Good luck, and definitely keep us posted on what does(n't) work.

(Edit: btw, I knew nothing about these things 10 minutes ago, so don't take my word for it, check some sources.)

hey bro your scrog looks fine thase buds will thicken up nicley the last 2 weeks for sure good luck and + reps on the grow thus far.
As for the gnats I have used gonats and it works like a charm.How much are you giving them?I used it at 2 tbsp per gallon and dumped it in the soil on my last scrog. This will work and you closet will smell like cedar. Try it my way and you will be happy.But if you too far along for that then get some of the sticky fly traps and hang them under the screen this will get alot of them.

Two more things I forgot to mention. The original hydro table we put in is getting Fat! The Sour Grapes Are smothered in crystals, and smell like DANK. The smell when we touch a leaf is overwhelming, its super skunky and super purple-y, so much so that, I can;t tell you how the Sour Apples smell is coming along, cause the Grapes completely overpower the room. We are just starting to see 1 or 2 hairs per bud start to turn orange, so we hope to be flushing within 2 weeks.

On a less positive note, we are still in a long, drawn out fight with gnats. We've tried pyrethins based sprays, neem oil sprays, GoGnats(completely useless), and even home remedies like cooking oil and dish soap. I know that you have to break the cycle of eggs and adults, but this seems impossible. The GoGnats was a waste of money, its no more than cedar saw dust in water, and did nothing to kill the lil buggers. We have watered with it 4 days apart, used it as a spray, and even poured some in the res of the hydro table. It has had no more effect than cooking oil and soap. We're at a loss. Any further advice for ideas this late into flowering would be great. The only thing that's worked is the diatemaceous earth, and that only works when its dry, so every watering makes it null and void, and I'm reluctant to continue adding more and more.

On a less

Late getting in, as usual, but now I'm subscribed :Rasta:

I didn't see if you've tried No Pest Strips for the gnats... might be worth a shot?

You're scrog is packed, excellent job!

:goodluck:

:peace:

Back
Top Bottom