Quest for 1G/W: 1K HPS Liquid Cooled on a 6' Mover in a 4x8 Tent

Re: Quest for 1g/w: 1k hps liquid cooled on a 6' mover in a 4x8 tent.

The clones vary widely. some are big, some are small. all will grow I hope. I would not be surprised if one or two runted.

here are a bunch to show the variety

Day-1-4-1-14.JPG

Day-1-4-1-15.JPG

Day-1-4-1-16.JPG

Day-1-4-1-17.JPG

Day-1-4-1-18.JPG

Day-1-4-1-19.JPG

Day-1-4-1-20.JPG

Day-1-4-1-21.JPG

Day-1-4-1-22.JPG

The 1k HPS is only running at 500w for now. they wouldn't know what to do with 1k. lol

Day-1-4-1-24.JPG

Here you can see I am starting to rough fit the room for the Aero Unit. these plants will grow as I build it. . . Im planning to veg at least 4 weeks. During the last week or so I think I'll take some clones from the bottoms of these girls to put in the aero, and veg another week or so, so the aero can root. Then go right to flower

here the light is below the aero, but when I am about ready for the aero to start up, I think the light will be about even with the aero plants.

Day-1-4-1-25.JPG

Here is the carbon filter. . . I might take it down or move it somwhere it's not in the way if the aero plants get that tall. Right now there is no smell, so it's off.

Day-1-4-1-26.JPG

The aero is going to passively drain back into the reservoir. that means the lowest point must be taller than the drum. It must also be a down grade towards the drum. with 1:100 being optimal NFT grade, 1:30 to 1:40 is usually standard to avoid pooling. I ended up cutting these down another inch, but my overall grade is 4" over 192". So thats 1:48

the duct tape is where the AC is going.

Day-1-4-1-05.JPG

here you can see how the trellis will work too keep them against the walls. standard 7" garden trellis.

Day-1-4-1-10.JPG

this light will be raised up another 12" by the time I get the aero going, and I will take the wing reflector off of the fresca and let the light loose in all directions.

Day-1-4-1-11.JPG

the duct tape is where the AC is going.

Day-1-4-1-12.JPG

ok, so thats it for tonight. these pics were taken a week or so ago, so I'll take some new ones this week and you guys can see the progress I am making with the aero, and how the Ebb plants are doing.

WheeloFortune, your journals are usually educational, often entertaining, and always interesting. Subscribed! (And thanks for the heads-up.)

Is your pH monitoring/adjusting equipment isolated from any electronic interference which could (conceivably) cause readings that were less than true? I would be highly paranoid (well, even more than I normally am (private joke)) about that facet of your grow.

The more O2 in the reservoir the better.

Love that water-cooled setup. My neighbor has an above-ground pool. I wonder if he'd notice... Nah, lol.

For shorter-duration feeding, could you run a timer on that timer? Or rig something up operating off of that timer's output through a relay which in turn... Oh yeah, I'm forgetting the KiSS principle, huh?

I'm rooting for you, bro! Although your quest for 1KG from 1KW has me wondering if it would be easier to achieve that or to achieve 1.2KG from 1.2KW (2x600-watt)? Hmm, there's fuel for a potential future project for you, lol.

Good luck. Combined with your knowledge it should be an awesome grow.

EDIT: It is one thing to pull 1g/watt (or any given amount) from one of the strains that are generally accepted as "the most productive," it is something else all together - and much more admirable - to attempt to do so with one's personal favorite strains instead.

+REPs (if allowed) EDIT #2: Nope, not allowed. +REPs in spirit!

What's the fuss about! 1gpw, within that space it should be a walk in the park Only thing i would be concerned about is the loss of lumens from you water cooled shade and the bad reflectability of it although you've tried to modify it! JMO...

What's the fuss about! 1gpw within that space should be a walk in the park Only thing i would be concerned about is the loss of lumens from you water cooled shade and the bad reflectability of it although you've tried to modify it! JMO...

Modify?

BtW, WheeloFortune, have you thought about when you go into flowering maybe switching out your pH Down for a bloom-component nutrient that also lowers pH as a side-benefit? If done correctly it might help extend the time you could spend away from your garden (if that is a consideration) as it would rejuvenate (to an extent) your nutrient solution while lowering its pH.

WheeloFortune, your journals are usually educational, often entertaining, and always interesting. Subscribed! (And thanks for the heads-up.)

Is your pH monitoring/adjusting equipment isolated from any electronic interference which could (conceivably) cause readings that were less than true? I would be highly paranoid (well, even more than I normally am (private joke)) about that facet of your grow.

The more O2 in the reservoir the better.

Love that water-cooled setup. My neighbor has an above-ground pool. I wonder if he'd notice... Nah, lol.

For shorter-duration feeding, could you run a timer on that timer? Or rig something up operating off of that timer's output through a relay which in turn... Oh yeah, I'm forgetting the KiSS principle, huh?

I'm rooting for you, bro! Although your quest for 1KG from 1KW has me wondering if it would be easier to achieve that or to achieve 1.2KG from 1.2KW (2x600-watt)? Hmm, there's fuel for a potential future project for you, lol.

Good luck. Combined with your knowledge it should be an awesome grow.

EDIT: It is one thing to pull 1g/watt (or any given amount) from one of the strains that are generally accepted as "the most productive," it is something else all together - and much more admirable - to attempt to do so with one's personal favorite strains instead.

+REPs (if allowed) EDIT #2: Nope, not allowed. +REPs in spirit!

I found the biggest interference in the probes came from close proximiy to the ballast. The way I have the room setup now, the ballast is on the opposite side as the res. Also the light and AC are on a separate circuit from all the meters. With the light on, my EC on the tri meter goes up about 100 or so microsiemens. The pH and temp seem to be completely uneffected.

Also the controller is measured in hundreths of a pH point. It is very sensitive and fast reading. Much more accurate than the Tri-meter. so far I am trusting it implicitly. . . it seems to be very nice hardware. I am very pleased with it's performance thus far (1 week lol, hardly solid proof)

I wish I had a nice pool. I have a free heater for one. lol.

I don't know if i even have the electricity to run 2x600. right now the light is @500w. I have turned it up to 750w safely and did not blow a fuse, but with an AC on the same circuit I'm not sure if it can handle 1kw. . . Time will tell. . . I may need to do some circuit rearranging when the summer heat hits, and when they get big enough to saok up all that light.

According to jorge cervantes, light movers increase efficiency 25-35%. . . That means I should be better off than 1200w, but the proof will be in the pudding.

Also, geez, Holy Shit is not one of the most prolific yielding strains. . . I had not taken that into consideration. I hope her genes allow me to pull it off. I think the GWS is a pretty good yielder, but not exactly my favorite. . . I need to updte my gene pool soon, I am just old friends with these strains by now.

What's the fuss about! 1gpw, within that space it should be a walk in the park Only thing i would be concerned about is the loss of lumens from you water cooled shade and the bad reflectability of it although you've tried to modify it! JMO...

lmao, trust me, this will not be an easy pull for me, and I wouldn't be surprised if I didn't hit the mark on the first run.

The Fresca soaks up about 8% of the lumens from the light. @140,000 lumens thats about 11,000 lumen loss. . . and yeah the reflector is made for the unit. I wont be using it during flower, and that will make the light down less intense. We'll see how it works out in the end.

btw, have you exceeded 1g/w? if so point me to the journal bro, I'd read it straight through! it isn't as easy as it sounds. IMO, .5g/w is a good marker that you are a good grower. .75g/w means you are on top of everything and had no mistakes. >1g/w means you have everything tricked out perfectly. . . Not many growers ever exceed the 1g/w mark, although a few have demolished it. If I can do it, I'd consider myself in some pretty elite company.

:amen: brother :amen:..the butchers check'n in at your front door. I honestly can't wait to see this out. 1g/w you got this!

Hope so butch. . . with your help.

Modify?

BtW, WheeloFortune, have you thought about when you go into flowering maybe switching out your pH Down for a bloom-component nutrient that also lowers pH as a side-benefit? If done correctly it might help extend the time you could spend away from your garden (if that is a consideration) as it would rejuvenate (to an extent) your nutrient solution while lowering its pH.

I didn't consider that, but I'd be afraid of adding too much EC when I wasn't paying attention. . . I bought this exactly for that reason, Less maintenance, less problems, fewer spikes, and more freedom from the daily grind. . . I am so busy with other aspects of life, any help is much help. . .

Maybe I could spike it with a bit of a bloom enhancer and pH down and water all in a 1 gal, some kind of pH down cocktail. . . Deserves some thought for sure. . . or maybe pH down/Hygrozyme, now you have me thinking. . . lol.

Sorry thought it was a home made reflector

No Problem. its all cool beans.

nice setup also brother!

Thanks. Hopefully she'll do me right.

Does the 1gr/watt have any time limit? Or is it just one grow, even if you veg for two months? I've always been curious about this standard. Best I've done was .75, and that took forever since half of it was a single sativa that would not finish.

Does the 1gr/watt have any time limit? Or is it just one grow, even if you veg for two months? I've always been curious about this standard. Best I've done was .75, and that took forever since half of it was a single sativa that would not finish.

Nah, nothing specific. If you don't veg long enough, Light won't be your limiting factor, and If you veg too long, you won't ever exceed light as the limiting factor (meaning if i vegged for 6 months, the 1k hps will not out do a 2 month veg if thats all the light can handle)

I am specifically trying to maximize my flower stage and space to produce as much bud out of as little electrical input as I can.

Right now, I am only running @ 500w to get these girls started off.

I see your point though, and have been part of many a conversation about this. . . g/w is not really the best way to measure overall efficiency, only FLOWER efficiency for similar finishing time strains. The best way to measure over all efficiency would be weight/(energy*time). . .

But since the standard measurement for efficiency is commonly g/w, thats what I'll shoot for. But I'll take detailed notes of what I do, and g/(w*hour) should be easy enough to compute if anyone is interested.

I completely agree. The way I've always hit the 1g/w is with the sog. Personally speaking (I think I do this to much..:rofl:) I've been the most successful w/ 4 per sq. ft in SOG. The plant numbers get HIGH, however the veg time is very short and the yeild as well as maintenance is more. But effective as hell IMHO. So weight/(energy*time) could possibly measure up even better at the end.

I think in your situation w/ the cap & aero you'll be fine & hit that marker. Last time it was the drought, you fixed that so..now its show time !! :yahoo:

This is gonna be the start of my last journal. . . if I meet me goal. If not, I will keep going until I do.

So your saying I've got to root against you if I want you to stick around and do more ;)

So your saying I've got to root against you if I want you to stick around and do more ;)

I was thinking the same thing...like I hope he makes but not really....

Amazing setup...I see no problem with you reaching it...it is all about numbers, the more plants the easier that goal is to reach. With 24 plants all you need is just over an oz per plant...how many more you gonna add with the aero system?

You should make it challenging...grow 4 plants!!!! :grinjoint:.... Or set a new goal...2g/w (gain title, king of the tent!)...:smokin:

:peace: brother, hope you blow it out of the ballpark!

I completely agree. The way I've always hit the 1g/w is with the sog. Personally speaking (I think I do this to much..:rofl:) I've been the most successful w/ 4 per sq. ft in SOG. The plant numbers get HIGH, however the veg time is very short and the yeild as well as maintenance is more. But effective as hell IMHO. So weight/(energy*time) could possibly measure up even better at the end.

I think in your situation w/ the cap & aero you'll be fine & hit that marker. Last time it was the drought, you fixed that so..now its show time !! :yahoo:

The 4 biggest limiting factors considering My grow room are:
1)Time. I am very busy with other aspects of life, and have a ton on my plate. In addition to all that I find time to smoke, chill, work on the room, take, edit and upload pics, and talk extensively about growing here. I have learned so much here in the past 13 months it's worth the late nights. . .

2)Space. My apartment is a really really small 2 bedroom. my grow room has to fit in BR#2 which is like 9'x9' with a 2'x3' closet.

In there I have a 4'x8' tent with 6" space on all sides, (last grow I also had the 3'x5' tent in there for the volks. imagine that) I have two 55 gallon drums, and a 5 tier shelf with all the tools/nutes. I also have a 28"x29" freezer turned clone box in my bedroom#1 where I sleep occasionally. Having anyone over to my house except closest of friends is not possible. I can't wait until I can afford a bigger place.

3)Electricity. My wiring is 50 years old, fuses not breakers, and I need to be careful of how I arrange my power. I have a Kill-A-Watt meter so I can make informed decisions. lol, and big orange power cords in my hallway. ugh.

4)Skill. I have holes in my grow game, and #1 may be consistency. I need to not make any dumb mistakes over the next 13-14 weeks. Not one. I will make that easier on myself by trying not to add much to my system throughout this grow. . . maybe just another chiller if i can ever find the electricity somehow. .

The problem I would have with SOG would be the same as for the wheel. . . not enough space for moms, clones and such a high turnover rate. for me, less plants made bigger is just the way I gotta go. its so much easier on at least three of those constraints.

You're right about the drought, I also had something bacterial going on at the end, but can I avoid all problems this grow effectively enough to really nail the hell out of it? i certainly hope so.:goodluck:

Tor has me wondering if the HS can even support it. I think maybe yes.

99% of my grows are not documented online! but if you follow my journal TBD'S Simple Grow, you'll be in for a surprise... :riskybusiness:

Goodluck brother...

Tbd

sweet man, I 'll check that out this weekend. fo sho.

I'll stick around, but seriously, the last 13 months of my grows have been documented, and after this one it'll likely be 16. I feel like my inability to master the wheel has prevented me from proving my chops on here, and rightly so. When I feel that I have proven that I can effectively apply the theory that I espouse, I will be do for a long break. never say never though my friend. not only anything but everything is possible.

I was thinking the same thing...like I hope he makes but not really....

Amazing setup...I see no problem with you reaching it...it is all about numbers, the more plants the easier that goal is to reach. With 24 plants all you need is just over an oz per plant...how many more you gonna add with the aero system?

You should make it challenging...grow 4 plants!!!! :grinjoint:.... Or set a new goal...2g/w (gain title, king of the tent!)...:smokin:

:peace: brother, hope you blow it out of the ballpark!

lol, thanks bro.

Its all about maximizing space utilization. . . More plants is definitely one way to help maximize space, but in 2D so to speak you're still limited by that space. . . I'm hoping that by maximizing (or at least getting closer to) the vertical space as well as the horizontal, I can really get a lot more out of a little. no more light, no more cooling, no more much of anything, except plants and then hopefully big ripe buds.

In those pics I didn't yet drill the holes for the 2" neoprene inserts, but I have since then. I spaced them 6" apart with the idea that I could go every other if I wanted less, but still could always go more if I find it works better. There are 6 sites on each side, 1 on each elbow piece (2 total) and 13 sites on the back wall for a total of 27 sites. I will put a sprayer centered between each site. I still have to buy the sprayers, tubing and powerhead.

Maybe it's just me but damn, i feel like getting over 1g/w is hard as fuck. sorry to swear there, but it is totally necessary. My best efficiency to date is 255 grams from 400 watts. which is .6375g/w. Got that from 3 strawberry cough in DWC, scrog style. My wheel numbers are just downright embarrassing.

But I am serious, and focused this time not to make any big mistakes. . . I just wish I had some loot to buy a few more things lol. Can't even afford $.60 sprayers at the moment. lol.

p.s. If I hit 2g/w I would declare myself the master of the entire universe. :goodluck:

just so everyone in this journal knows that i posted this in the other one.

kind of important information :

My Quest for silence. . .

So with the wheel out of the picture for a while, my room just got much quieter. . . A great thing if you live in a double. on the top floor no less. . . I believe my neighbors actual words were "sounds like a death ray over my bedroom". . . . They're pretty good peeps though, i moved it to a different room with carpeting and tried to make it better, but it was always audible. they said nothing more for over a year. they deserve a break too i guess ;)

now. . . to make everything else as quiet and stealth as possible. With no grow going on, I am free to play with all my equipment, my layout, the plan. . . I am obviously getting way smaller in scale with one less tent and one less wheel. i was doin too much.

Surprisingly, set up the way the CAP instructions tell you to, the unit is pretty damn loud itself. shooting a jet of water down two feet into a barrel of water makes an unmistakeable sound, and it is fairly loud too. lets see what we can do here. . .

fist, the tiny stream of water shooting out of the dumb siphon elbow is loud as hell. toss that thing and replace with a T piece, and on the side that is acting like that pinhole, use a piece of hose to connect a ball valve to control flow, and point it at the wall of the barrel. silent. now, for return line; replace with an elbow, point at the wall, silent. in the control bucket; I rotated the elbow 180* to put the elbow part in the bucket, and splash it off the wall. silent.

now, the pumps in the reservoirs vibrate. if they lie on the floor the vibrate the floor. . . solution was I cut the poly hose so that the pump hangs 1" from the floor with out touching it. kills vibrations. silent. My Ebb n Gro is now in Stealth Mode

If you are in my room, you can hear the ballast fan, the air pump that is suspended to dampen its vibrations. and a slight trickle of water for 15 minutes of every 4 hours, and I do mean slight (Feeding time). and everything is running. . .

no fans, no air circulation, no carbon filters (well, maybe cycle one every so often), all water cooled, and it's working like a charm. without the 600 on the room is cool and the tent gets to about 6 or 7 degrees above ambient, and the chiller is not on, so i can use it on the res as it was intended. water cooled is silent, and completely the shit. . . i still have to try it in the summer though.

pump up some co2 next time, maybe i can get a co2 controller if i don't need a bigger chiller, although it might be doseable with a timer since i can infrequently cycle my carbon filter if i want. there will have to be AC in the tent in the summer anyways. not sure if I have the juice to run one and a big chiller. . .

anyways,
if you are in the next room, you can hear nada. hopefully my neighbors will hear nada.
I can close everything and it stays temperate for the first time in a long time. . the only thing making any real heat is the ballast and the radiation. and it isn't all that much, the water takes it all.

after i build the aero unit I'll start up again... hopefully before the summer heat sets in.
when I do, my room will officially be
"STEALTH SCHMODED"

EnG'ers out there, are you schmoded? I am now ;)

Back
Top Bottom