Quest for 1G/W: 1K HPS Liquid Cooled on a 6' Mover in a 4x8 Tent

Re: Quest for 1g/w: 1k hps liquid cooled on a 6' mover in a 4x8 tent.

wheel, can u give me some info on your ph controller please? brand? where to buy? thanks bro.

wheel, can u give me some info on your ph controller please? brand? where to buy? thanks bro.

google "pinpoint pH controller" and go to shopping. you'll find tons of places to buy it, if you get it from marinedepot, you can get the pump there too. called "Aqua Medic SP 3000 Dosing Pump".

$200 for the controller, $100 for the pump. Then, dilute the pH solution and set it up for the nute range suggested by your nute manufacturer.

420_PLANT_OF_THE_MONTH_.jpg

BTW, kinda funny, I read at least one of your volks-grows a while back when I was researching for my set-up, so the other day when I watched Stargate-Universe's latest episode and saw a Volksgarden in their newly acquired abondonded by a higher race intergalactic ship I laughed and thought of you.
Much Aloha!

Me too, LOL. I was squinting trying to see what kind of plants were in the thing...

Glad I found this journal before it got too far along. Should be a really informative one. After my current grow I'm getting an Ebb & Gro myself, and will build a little room around its footprint. After seeing Wheelo's 4" PVC setup last year, I know this one's going to be another tinkerer's delight... :smokin:

Me too, LOL. I was squinting trying to see what kind of plants were in the thing...

Glad I found this journal before it got too far along. Should be a really informative one. After my current grow I'm getting an Ebb & Gro myself, and will build a little room around its footprint. After seeing 420fied's 4" PVC setup last year, I know this one's going to be another tinkerer's delight... :smokin:

Thanks bro. still weeks left in veg. . . so your not late.

I think this might be a really nice and easy method to maximize space, the two methods seem to mesh together well. we'll find out more as I get into the aero.

Thanks bro. still weeks left in veg. . . so your not late.

I think this might be a really nice and easy method to maximize space, the two methods seem to mesh together well. we'll find out more as I get into the aero.

No idea how I got you and 420fied mixed up. I followed one of your wheel journals around the same time I followed his pvc aero. :cool:

No idea how I got you and 420fied mixed up. I followed one of your wheel journals around the same time I followed his pvc aero. :cool:

sorry to disappoint. lol. His journal was an epic blockbuster, mine is more indie cult classic.

If I pull this off, though, Ima blow the roof off, bro.

So stay tuned. . .

Hey WOF,

Been think about the W/C reflector tube..

DO you need to add anything to the water for algae control etc to prevent funky water blocking light?

Is there a way to physically clean the area where the water is in the tube?

I assume a water pump runs 24/7 to keep it moving through.. or do you run a cycle timer?

Is it feasible to link multiple (3 ) together to run from 1 pump and 1 res?
Thanks

DO you need to add anything to the water for algae control etc to prevent funky water blocking light?

Is there a way to physically clean the area where the water is in the tube?

I assume a water pump runs 24/7 to keep it moving through.. or do you run a cycle timer?

Is it feasible to link multiple (3 ) together to run from 1 pump and 1 res?
Thanks

I found this on a site that sells them (and from the name of the site I would assume, specializes in them):

A Retailer said:
Please Note:
A Retailer said:
PH MUST BE 7.5-8.0
Run the pump 24 hrs
Never put cold water on hot light
Use small amount of pool chlorine to keep clean from algee
Recomend to use filter before lights in system

I would think that in a perfectly-sealed system that algae prevention would be unnecessary but most reservoirs that I've read about are open-top type. Plus, it would seem to be cheap insurance. I'm guessing that the suggestion to run the pump 24 hours is so that you'd never have the situation occur where the light already on when the cold (or cool) water hits it. I would imagine that the fixture would heat up extremely quickly in a dry situation (think WoF or someone stated that they could quickly heat the water to its boiling-point if it was not flowing). That would be bad with a capital B (also a capital A and D and several !s, lol).

As far as being able to clean it, from the pictures I've seen the things can be completely disassembled (and they use gaskets). By every report, Fresca Sol fixtures are quality items.

Hey WOF,

Been think about the W/C reflector tube..

1)DO you need to add anything to the water for algae control etc to prevent funky water blocking light?

2)Is there a way to physically clean the area where the water is in the tube?

3)I assume a water pump runs 24/7 to keep it moving through.. or do you run a cycle timer?

4)Is it feasible to link multiple (3 ) together to run from 1 pump and 1 res?
Thanks

The Volks didn't work out very well for me, but it was just to restrictive for my personality. Unfortunately for me It was a Huge purchase.

Since then I've made a bunch of really great purchases including that pH controller I am loving the hell out of, and this water jacket which I am also loving the hell out of.

1) if you use RO, then I wouldn't. . . the biggest reason being that pure H2O has a very very high heat capacity, meaning the res will try to stay the same temp. If you add anything it will lower the heat capacity some. Also, with out and food, you don't have much chance of anything growing, cause there's nothing to eat. right?

I put about an ounce of bleach in the 50 gal res to keep it sterile, as I didn't wait 3 weeks to fill it with my RO and didn't want to chance anything growing. since then the tubing I used got a little lighter and i rethought it because of the seals and rings in the fresca, so I emptied it 3/4 and then refilled it. I dump a bit of the res every once in a while, say 5-10 gal, and refill with nice cold water. this cools it down since i have no chiller on it at the moment.

2)yeah, both of the sides come off by two nuts on each side. I tightened mine up a bit when they got here cause someone told me to beware because theirs came shipped a bit loose. if you take a sides off, the two tubes separate for easy cleaning, but i would be surprised if you had to do that very often, with constant movement, nothing has time to settle in it.

3)24/7

4)yeah most definitely. Although, you would either need a swimming pool for your reservoir, or a nice chiller, and by nice i mean 1/2-1 HP. Also you'll need a nice pump, and by nice i mean 1500 gph or more the best way would probably be to run fresh cold into all 3 and let all 3 empty together as opposed to daisy chaining them together as the light at the end of the chain would def be hotter than the first.

even with only one 1k hps, the res gets hot w/o a chiller. prob 100*F or more, I haven't checked. . . this lets more heat into the room. The manu suggests keeping the water temp just above the dew point temp to keep it as cold as you can without having it sweat condensation down on your plants. 3kw will take significant cooling or a huge res to handle it.

The 800 gph pump I use barely has enough head pressure to be able to cold start. I want to get something bigger than 1000. My flow rate is not great due to all the head pressure i get from running through so much hose and all the bends and because i have to run tubing high up above the light.

All in all, even knowing i need another big investment to get a nice big chiller, I love the purchase, I think it'll be much more efficient in the summer and much much quieter.

Last summer I def had a few heat issues, looking forward to not this summer.

:popcorn:When is the aero coming?:popcorn:

Well, Im gonna veg out the EnG to about 2.5-3 feet, take clones, once rooted, go to flower.

So it looks like i still have a couple weeks before they get tall enough for me to take clones and time it out right.

Plus i still need to do some stuff to get it going, but since I have time i'm not rushing. Plus I'm busy with other things.

I'll go take a couple pics to show you guys how tall they are now. there has been noticeable growth since the last pics.

I found this on a site that sells them (and from the name of the site I would assume, specializes in them):

I would think that in a perfectly-sealed system that algae prevention would be unnecessary but most reservoirs that I've read about are open-top type. Plus, it would seem to be cheap insurance. I'm guessing that the suggestion to run the pump 24 hours is so that you'd never have the situation occur where the light already on when the cold (or cool) water hits it. I would imagine that the fixture would heat up extremely quickly in a dry situation (think WoF or someone stated that they could quickly heat the water to its boiling-point if it was not flowing). That would be bad with a capital B (also a capital A and D and several !s, lol).

As far as being able to clean it, from the pictures I've seen the things can be completely disassembled (and they use gaskets). By every report, Fresca Sol fixtures are quality items.

thx tor,

yeah, being totally enclosed, a dry, or non-circulating system would get hot fast. My pump went out before, it got hot, but nothing bad happened. I imagine if it were dry though, then got hit with cold water, the glass could crack.

like you said, they seem to be well made to me, I do not worry about any of this. the biggest fear would be a failed pump, but i went through that and nothing happened. knock on wood. It was only running at 500w though.

what a nice set up you have there:goodjob: i hope you get your gram per watt I'll be watchin':goodluck:

ok, so 5 days since the last pics and the girls are finally starting to get going. I think I was having a magnesium def. so I upped it (twice), and they are finally responding nicely. I think this next week should go a long way to establishing some larger healthier root systems, which in turn should bring a faster growth rate.

well here they are, DAY 21 VEG.

Day-21-Veg-1.JPG

Day-21-Veg-2.JPG

Day-21-Veg-3.JPG

and here is one slightly enhanced to show the nute deficiency. I don't know if you can see it or not but the new growth is finally starting to look healthy green. I used all the magi-cal (125ml) in that box, and I wanted a bit more so i added 20-25 ml of cal-mag. I think it did the trick. will really be able to tell in a few more days.

R2C5: old growth still looking the same.
Day-21-Veg-6.JPG

what a nice set up you have there:goodjob: i hope you get your gram per watt I'll be watchin':goodluck:

thanks bro, me too. I'll be growing.

Looking sweet man!

You gonna do any support steaks?
SF

umm, not sure yet. . . probably not. Didn't need any last time. . . but then again, they didnt get that heavy.

I have about 4-5 staked right now cause they were leaning over and I wanted them to stand up straight, but now that they are, I don't think I need to make them longer or anything.

I was toying with a scrog idea while I get the aero to root, but I'm not trying to add too too much work on this grow. maybe if I was shooting for 2g/w id have to scrog, or if I miss my mark, that may be a way to get a better yield. but I'm not there yet.

What is on top of your controller box?

eh, just an old analog style Thermometer/Humidity/Clock I use to check RH and temps down by the plants. I have a digital meter up at the top as well so I can get an idea of the gradient.

Back
Top Bottom