Quest for mold-resistant strains, Hawaii outdoor greenhouse grow

I also harvested the other Humboldt Dream. It was also a salvage harvest, but much better than the above GMG purple pheno. I was able to trim a good amount of very clean, easy-to-trim buds. I tossed a lot, also, just because I didn't want to deal with dead leaves stuck to the resin. Again... it was a situation of senescence setting in. These Humboldt Dreams were grown in 5 gal pots... really too small.
This went to a cancer patient in need. Every bud counts.

regardless of the rot those are some lovely buds , that purple is pretty...
Thanks. I was actually talking about the other buds... the Humboldt Dream, which don't have any purple.

Some friends tried the GMG sativa as edibles and said it was very strong. I'm guessing they tried the purple, which had a lot more resin than the green. I just finished quick-drying the purple, and will be trying it out soon with my vaporizer.

Another one bites the dust...

I harvested the last plant tonight, my legacy CBG pheno. While harvesting, everything looked great. I thought to myself, wow, CBG just doesn't get bud rot. Well... completely different story w/ my headlamp and reading glasses on, at the trimming table. The buds looked fantastic on the outside. Inside... bud rot spots. Again... I missed the harvest window. I think the CBG definitely has a bigger window, but not much bigger. I'll spare you the depressing photos this time. I'm not too upset about this, actually... it brings my focus back to the Quest plants.

The next batch of plants in the flower house are already starting to bud:

• HI-BISCUS (50/50 hybrid)​
• Blueberry (80% indica)​
• Blue Window (50/50 hybrid)​
• Sweet Critical CBD (50/50 hybrid)​
• Seedsman 30:1 CBD (80% sativa)​

I had two HI-BISCUS in the flower house, but decided to chop one of them, and kept the taller one... I just had too many plants. I'm super impressed by the Blueberry... still doing great in a 5 gal pot, and starting to get buds. The Blue Widow is looking all-indica... it's the most indica-dominant of any plant I've grown... I must have found an indica pheno, because it's supposed to be a 50/50 hybrid. It's strange, because the Blueberry is supposed to be 80% indica, but compared to the Blue Widow, it looks like a total sativa. The CBDs are also looking good.

I'm excited to see buds produced from these 5 strains... it's my first time ever growing any of these. Hopefully I'll see a lot more bud rot resistance than the Green Mountain Grape. (BTW, I ditched the GMG purple pheno male clone I was saving... decided I didn't want to breed with this one.) I've been thinking more now about ordering some Bruce Banner regulars + fems, and Marionberry Kush fems.

Have a great Sunday! :ciao:

I'm super impressed by the Blueberry... still doing great in a 5 gal pot, and starting to get buds.
She's 6 ft 9 in tall! Was topped early, so nice bushing out. Pics soon.

I washed the flower house polycarbonate roof today... biggish job, good to have it done.

Pics from today in the sunny flower house...

Blueberry in 5 gal. 6 ft 10 in tall (base of stem to tops).
blueberry.jpg

Blueberry flowers.
blueberry_flower1.jpg

Blue Widow in 5 gal.
blue_widow.jpg

Foreground left is Blue Widow. Foreground right is HI-BISCUS. Background right is Blueberry. The other 2 are Sweet Critical CBD and Seedsmand 30:1 CBD.
flower_house1.jpg

The Sweet Critical CBD (50/50 hybrid) is pulling out in front of Seedsman 30:1 CBD (80% sativa), with faster flower development, swollen bracts and strong fragrance. Sweet Critical also possibly showing some leaf mold resistance.

EDIT: To be fair, Seedsman 30:1 was topped in veg, Sweet Critical wasn't. We'll see how it goes!

Sweet Critical CBD, 2 weeks in flower.
sweet_critical1.jpg

Sweet Critical CBD, 2 weeks in flower.
sweet_critical2.jpg

Seedsman 30:1 CBD, 2 weeks in flower.
seedsman_30-1.jpg

Found this girl lying on her side today in the flower house, due to wind. Not a strong wind, mind you, and the pot was still heavy from watering yesterday. No damage... she's back up and tied to a wall stud.

blueberry-jpg.2671893

Found this girl lying on her side today in the flower house, due to wind. Not a strong wind, mind you, and the pot was still heavy from watering yesterday. No damage... she's back up and tied to a wall stud.

blueberry-jpg.2671893
That's what happens when you grow such huge beautiful girls.
Thankfully she looks great still.
Love your garden my friend. :welldone:
Have a great weekend. :high-five:
Take care.

#VIVOSUN #Love What You Grow
Bill284 😎

The sunshine continues! Pics from today in the flower house and veg house...

HI-BISCUS (50/50 hybrid), 19 days in flower. Of all the plants in the flower house, she seems to be the most susceptible to leaf mold. I have been spraying them with peroxide solution w/ a few drops of Bronner's soap, as needed. They're doing great.
hi-biscus1.jpg

Seedsman 30:1 CBD (sativa), 19 days in flower. Lots of bud sites, slow to develop.
seedsman_30-1.jpg

Sweet Critical CBD, 19 days in flower.
sweet_critical1.jpg

Canopy shot of the tall Blueberry in a 5 gal pot, 19 days in flower. Lots of buds sites and developing nicely. Wonderful sweet-smelling buds. Showing very little leaf mold spots. I have a very good feeling about this pheno!
blueberry_canopy1.jpg

Blueberry colas. She's way ahead of the other 4 girls.
blueberry_canopy2.jpg

Blueberry buds.
blueberry_buds1.jpg

DBL CBG seedling in the veg house, sativa-leaning pheno (?), in 5 gal. Week 8.
DBL_CBG1.jpg

Clone of the Blueberry that's currently flowering above.
blueberry_clone.jpg

Hey CBD, looking good. :thumb:

I'm going to pick your brain in a bit about cloning as my game sucks. My environment is much drier than yours but I've read your cloning thread and need to do something to improve my process.

I'm not quite ready to take cuttings but I'll circle back when I am, probably over in that other thread.

Some randoms today...

The folks at Oregon CBD (Crawford brothers) authored this new paper on finding the autoflower allele (gene mutation)...

I got a tip that Skunk Dawg is super bud-rot resistant... a cross between Super Skunk and Chemdawg. Generally 60% sativa.

I'm trying to find out what fungus is causing the dark spots on the underside of leaves in my flower house. So far I can't find any photos online. I'll post a photo soon. I thought it might be Septoria, but photos of that don't match what I have.

I'm trying to find out what fungus is causing the dark spots on the underside of leaves in my flower house. So far I can't find any photos online. I'll post a photo soon. I thought it might be Septoria, but photos of that don't match what I have.

Is this septoria or something else? The underside of the leaf is infected, and then yellow spots appear on the top of the leaf, which turn brown.

leaf_mold1.jpg

mold_underside_of_leaf1.jpg

mold_topside_of_leaf1.jpg

leaf_mold_closeup1.jpg

leaf_mold_closeup2.jpg

Mold + bug eggs.
leaf_mold_and_bug_eggs.jpg

Closeup of above.
leaf_mold_and_bug_egg1.jpg

Is this septoria or something else? The underside of the leaf is infected, and then yellow spots appear on the top of the leaf, which turn brown.

leaf_mold1.jpg

mold_underside_of_leaf1.jpg

mold_topside_of_leaf1.jpg

leaf_mold_closeup1.jpg

leaf_mold_closeup2.jpg

Mold + bug eggs.
leaf_mold_and_bug_eggs.jpg

Closeup of above.
leaf_mold_and_bug_egg1.jpg

I did some more research this morning, and while writing this. I'm sure now this is generally known as downy mildew, caused by a number of fuzzy-looking fungus or mold species. Downy mildew is a sub-classification of the wider group of fungal or fungal-like pathogens known as leaf spots. The fuzzy appearance is the sporulation phase (producing spores).

Purdue University says, re: downy mildew, "Numerous sporangiophores cause a down-like appearance on the underside of hemp leaves." (Sporangiophores are structures that produce spores.)

Cornell University says (2020), "Diverse leaf spots [on hemp] have been diagnosed in New York in association with several fungal genera including Bipolaris, Boeremia (Phoma), Cercospora, Colletotrichum, Cristulariella, Leptosphaerulina, Phaeomycocentropora, Septoria, and Stagonospora."

An Ontario, Canada, government website on specialty crops says (2020),

"Downy mildew of hemp (also known as cannabis downy mildew) has been identified in multiple hemp fields in southwestern Ontario. The disease first appeared in early September and was confirmed through microscopy and genetic tests to be caused by Pseudoperonospora cannabina....​
Downy mildew is caused by an oomycete (water mold) and grows within the leaf. Spores of downy mildew are produced on the lower leaf surface and appear mostly in the early morning before they are released into the wind. While there is limited information on this pathogen, downy mildews typically prefer long periods of high humidity and moderate temperatures."​
091820-fig-1b.jpg
I was under the impression that the mold spots on my cannabis leaves were from mold infecting the underside of the leaves, but apparently this is not the case. The mold grows inside the leaf, causing chlorosis and necrosis on the upper surface, and then during sporulation the underside of the leaf shows dark spots. Magnified, these dark spots are patches of fuzzy, spore-producing structures (i.e. sporangiophores).

Here's some more info from the same Ontario group, comparing powdery mildew, septoria leaf spot, and downy mildew (2021):

"Downy mildew of hemp was first identified in the field in Ontario in 2020. It is caused by a hemp-specific species, Pseudoperonospora cannabina. It is favoured by humid conditions and extended periods of leaf wetness. Just like the other two foliar diseases, it usually begins once canopies begin to close and there is a humid environment in the centre of the plant.​
Symptoms begin as small reddish-brown irregular spots that expand into roughly circular patches.... As they expand, they tend to become confined by the leaf veins and elongate.... Just like Septoria leaf spot, spots are usually surrounded by a yellow halo, but this halo is more irregular in downy mildew. Once lesions are present, spores are often produced on the underside of the leaf below the lesion each morning. This usually appears as a purplish/grey fuzz. The spores are spread by the first winds of the day and will not be present by midday. Downy mildew lesions lack the black pycnidia that are present in Septoria leaf spot lesions."​

1682378214968.png

My best guess now is that my leaf spots are downy mildew, and possibly Pseudoperonospora cannabina or a similar oomycete (water mold) species. The above article states, the disease "...usually begins once the canopies begin to close..." which is consistent with what I'm seeing, because my leaf spots are happening almost exclusively during flowering.

I did some more research this morning, and while writing this. I'm sure now this is generally known as downy mildew, caused by a number of fuzzy-looking fungus or mold species. Downy mildew is a sub-classification of the wider group of fungal or fungal-like pathogens known as leaf spots. The fuzzy appearance is the sporulation phase (producing spores).

Purdue University says, re: downy mildew, "Numerous sporangiophores cause a down-like appearance on the underside of hemp leaves." (Sporangiophores are structures that produce spores.)

Cornell University says (2020), "Diverse leaf spots [on hemp] have been diagnosed in New York in association with several fungal genera including Bipolaris, Boeremia (Phoma), Cercospora, Colletotrichum, Cristulariella, Leptosphaerulina, Phaeomycocentropora, Septoria, and Stagonospora."

An Ontario, Canada, government website on specialty crops says (2020),

"Downy mildew of hemp (also known as cannabis downy mildew) has been identified in multiple hemp fields in southwestern Ontario. The disease first appeared in early September and was confirmed through microscopy and genetic tests to be caused by Pseudoperonospora cannabina....​
Downy mildew is caused by an oomycete (water mold) and grows within the leaf. Spores of downy mildew are produced on the lower leaf surface and appear mostly in the early morning before they are released into the wind. While there is limited information on this pathogen, downy mildews typically prefer long periods of high humidity and moderate temperatures."​
091820-fig-1b.jpg
I was under the impression that the mold spots on my cannabis leaves were from mold infecting the underside of the leaves, but apparently this is not the case. The mold grows inside the leaf, causing chlorosis and necrosis on the upper surface, and then during sporulation the underside of the leaf shows dark spots. Magnified, these dark spots are patches of fuzzy, spore-producing structures (i.e. sporangiophores).

Here's some more info from the same Ontario group, comparing powdery mildew, septoria leaf spot, and downy mildew (2021):

"Downy mildew of hemp was first identified in the field in Ontario in 2020. It is caused by a hemp-specific species, Pseudoperonospora cannabina. It is favoured by humid conditions and extended periods of leaf wetness. Just like the other two foliar diseases, it usually begins once canopies begin to close and there is a humid environment in the centre of the plant.​
Symptoms begin as small reddish-brown irregular spots that expand into roughly circular patches.... As they expand, they tend to become confined by the leaf veins and elongate.... Just like Septoria leaf spot, spots are usually surrounded by a yellow halo, but this halo is more irregular in downy mildew. Once lesions are present, spores are often produced on the underside of the leaf below the lesion each morning. This usually appears as a purplish/grey fuzz. The spores are spread by the first winds of the day and will not be present by midday. Downy mildew lesions lack the black pycnidia that are present in Septoria leaf spot lesions."​

1682378214968.png

My best guess now is that my leaf spots are downy mildew, and possibly Pseudoperonospora cannabina or a similar oomycete (water mold) species. The above article states, the disease "...usually begins once the canopies begin to close..." which is consistent with what I'm seeing, because my leaf spots are happening almost exclusively during flowering.
Yikes!

I have no idea. Maybe @danishoes21 can recognize it?

Hi there sorry I took a while to answer.

I gotta say I think its fungal, that being said I will share a link to the page on my journal last year were with Azi there I tested a batch of Willow anaerobic tea I made myself

At the end of my experiment the Leaf affected showed signs of recovery from the fungal infection but had already necrosis so the leaf did not look healthy but the fungal problem was gone.

A then sprayed all my phenos with Willow Tea in foliar feed with no dilution, I had no cases of mold, rot, or fungal problems.

Salicylic Acid from willow tree kills fungal spores; its natural way to prevent and cure some fungal maladies in my case was mold, bud rot and PM.

I know lots of growers chose to use other commercial brands but I stick to natural and home made

I hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom