Royale Haze Soil 150w HPS Closet Grow

First off let me say hello to the community. I am new posting but have been lurking for quite awhile. This is my first grow, so it should be entertaining.

:thumb:

Here are the details:

What strain is it? Royal Haze from Dinafem
Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? Sativa Dom.
Is it in Veg or Flower stage? Veg
If in Veg... For how long?4 Weeks
Indoor or outdoor?Indoor
Soil or Hydro?Soil
If soil... what is in your mix?Promix no adds./nutes
If soil... What size pot?3 gal.
Size of light?Sun Systems 150w HPS
Is it aircooled?Yes
Temp of Room/cab?67F Lights off 73-75F Lights on
RH of Room/cab?43-54%
PH of media or res?Unknown
Any Pests ?No
How often are you watering?Twice a Week
Type and strength of ferts used?Canna Terra Vega 19ml/gal. for Veg, Canna Terra Flores on order for flower

Sorry I did not rotate the photos.

Any 411/constructive criticism is welcome. Hope you enjoy the grow.
-TG :peace:

Here is some day 30 veg pics from this morning.... She is so pretty. I am noticing some yellowing of new growth tips though. Any Ideas?

Hey Yac,
Think the yellowing may well be that the babies have come off the milk cycle and are now hungry for there first real grown up food (only so much in the soil), decide what you gonna give them, then start it off at maybe 50%, then work up for the next 4 weeks to full strength, before changing into flower mode.
Let me also say, if you have any problems "whatsoever" (god, thats a big British word) then give me a shout, I will give you my opinion of the problem (normaly gained through experiance) and at least you will be helped through this difficult time off t33thing lol (babies teeth) and i'm sure our friends on here will also give there opinions
BTW, they look great, just be carefull not to over feed them, the worst that will happen if you don't feed them is that they will be just a lot more lethargic, if you over feed them you can hurt them and even kill them, so underfeed and increase slowly
Cheers
FX

The plant is actually on its first feeding of Canna Terra Vega (2-1-3) 19ml/gal. At week 3 she got 10ml/gal. of the nutes. Just did the feeding When I noticed the tips yellowing which was about 2 days after the cots fell off. So I guess I am right on pace with the girl. Thanks for the advice.

Hi Tactical and welcome to the site =)

If i didnt know better, you found the same reflectives i did (survival blankets?)

just 1 little thing.
a pretty good rule of thumb for our babies is 3-2-1 for veg and 1-2-3 for flower.
for a real cheap fix to balance out the terra vega you might want to think about top dressing the soil with a little bit of bonemeal and adding some of your pee to the water. urine is a very effective means of upping your N levels and bonemeal will top up the N a little bit and the P by quite a large margin =)

GiGaBaNE,

Thanks for the suggestions. How much pee to a gal. are you suggesting and how much bonemeal? When the lights came back on this morning it looks as though my girl grew2-3". It looks like I am almost ready to flower as height might become a concern. I will get measurements when I get back from work along with some more pics. She is taking off.

-TG

Hey TG =)

using urine needs to be monitored quite carefully as it suprisingly stacks up against general ferts in strength, ill get to that in a second. first let me discuss each nutrient in turn.

Main function
Nitrogen (Shoots)- is used by a plant to create new green growth specifically leaf and stem
Phosphorus (Roots)- predominantly used for creating strong healthy root systems and contributes towards disease resistance.
Potassium (Fruits)- Is the main ingredient used for creating strong and well developed flowers,fruits and buds and is significant in disease prevention.

Now i will talk about the 3 items i reccomend for balancing out your general (or more specific) fert regime.

Urine - The PH of urine can vary between 4.6 and 8, with neutral (7) being norm. ""A diet high in citrus, vegetables, or dairy can increase urine pH and a diet high in meat can decrease urine pH (more acidic).""< i am unsure of the accuracy of part, the conclusion however is that you should PH test your urine before applying to the plant in case you mess with the PH of the soil.
urine has plant macronutrient percentages of approximately 11-1-2 to 15-1-2 varies with diet. Undiluted, it can chemically burn the roots of some plants, but it can be used safely as a source of complementary nitrogen in carbon-rich compost. When diluted with water (at a 1:5 ratio for container-grown annual crops with fresh growing medium each season, or a 1:8 ratio for more general use, it can be applied directly to soil as a fertilizer.

Bonemeal -
As a fertilizer, the N-P-K of bone meal is generally 4-12-0, though some steamed bone meals have N-P-Ks of 1-13-0. Bone meal is also an excellent organic source of calcium. ( the Bonemeal that i found in a poundshop is N-P-K 3.5-8.3-0 so make your calculations after you purchase ;) )
Phosphates do not easily pass through soil. So mixing the bone meal with the soil or putting it in the planting hole can help.
Finely ground bone meal may provide quicker release than coarsely ground.
( i just use a hammer to break up the bigger chunks of bone).
A word of warning.....Bonemeal may have assisted in the creation and spread of mad cow disease (thats what you bloody get for feeding a meat product to herbivores) so make sure you buy one that says organic and sterilised.

Sulphate of Potash - This product can be substituted with woodash but i have no data on that.
westlands version is N-P-K 0-0-39.8. I dont know too much about this item except that is is amazing for making your buds better, preventing disease and as a strange sidenote, making plants much more resistant to Chloride in the water.

if you take a look at my grow carefully, you will see that on the surface of my soil, the walls have been raised up and the plant itself is mounted in a little pyramid of standard compost. The reason for this is that it creates a circular trough around the plant in which i can mix my compost/bonemeal/potash compound in such a way that the nutrients sink into the soil when watered, but does not sit too closely to the stem (any ferts can harm the plant if neat contact is made). i plan to make my mix and lay it 1 week before i switch to flower.

I am not using any other kind of ferts atm. i use westland compost with john innes no2. i add liquid seaweed and molasses (and urine if i see a N def)to my waterings during veg and will add bonemeal/potash to the soil and stop any additional N from flower week minus 1.
The bonemeal will have more than enough N for the flowering stage =)

hope this helps brutha =D

GiGaBaNE,

Thank you for all of that great info.

Here are the pics of what I am seeing. Sorry that I am unable to adjust the white value at this time. But only the tips of the new growth are yellow. On the set before the new growth some of the yellowing has subsided as the leaves have grown. She is also currently 14" tall. I only have 5'6" of space to use so I have approximately 3'6" to use before I run out of room. Should I flip the switch now?

-TG

TG you look like you are off to a good start so far.

We all like to give advice on what we like to add and do, but remember the basics, keep it simple. Of which I am not doing right now. I am riding the coat tails of guys that are blazing trails for new methods of growing i.e. High Brix. BUT, I did some basics the first grow then learned and added, tried this and that to see what works. Guess what almost everything works. I don't see a whole lot of failed grows on here. Not to say they are problem free, but most of are getting good to great results.

Since it's your first grow, give the stuff you have a chance then see if you like the results or not. Remember, less is better most times. There is always room for improvement and trying new things on the next grow.

Get your feet wet just seeing how amazing the plant is to grow. And what to expect. And be patient and don't rush to harvest.

OK, now for my advice on the plant. I'll refrain from recommending any nutes, but I will comment on plant manipulation.

I don't remember reading about the size of your room or cab. But getting the most out of your plant bud wise will be the same for just about any small grow.

I like to prune, LST and Supercrop and Mini scrog.

If you grow one plant and it is sort of like the typical xmas tree shape, you should top to get those side branches up there closer to the light. Then maybe even top again. Depends on how long you wanna vege.

If it is more like a stalk and not much branching, grab the top and pull it down and tie it in like a candy cane shape. All the lower sites will start branching up.

Some like to top after a few nodes and have 4 main colas. I have done that long ago out side and it was good. I hope to try it on my next grow.

Bend them, tie them, screen them, what ever you seem to think the plant would benefit from for maximum yield.

Any of my journals which aren't that long to check out will show the results of what I have been trying to explain. And of course the OC+ thread has a lot of my photos and is worth checking out.

And refrain from wanting to show your plant off to friends.

Good luck

I am not quite ready to try any training or stressing of the plant. But I am enjoying watching it grow. I think I will have to flip the switch soon as height is a big concern. My area is a standard closet 4x2x8 but only 5'6" usable height for the grow. I appreciate all the great advice and kind words.

-TG

I agree with everything the Hash Hound said =)

in your situation, a slight N deficiency is not a bad thing. just remember N-P-K = Shoots-Roots-Fruits (crude, but you get the idea)

a plant can double in size very quickly when put to flower but thats about it. for now i reccomend flipping that switch at 2/5ths of your height restriction for now. a couple of grows under your belt and you will stop worrying, you will just look at your plants and know when to switch on simple intuition.

if your inclined to do so, i would think about taking a couple of clones off to play with. and if your not in a rush to enter flower stage, then LST is a real good idea as you can shape the main stem in a spiral making a 10' plant (10/Pi) only around 3' tall and it will be a lot bushier and afaik yeild more.

Its all personal preference tho, ive had a little play with LST and it can slow down growth quite a lot for a while (it will pick up speed again).
if you just want to magic a seed into a spliff in a reasonable time frame, just go natural, if however you plan on having a perminant mother plant, i would LST ;)

Once again all thanks for the info. I am trying to turn this around pretty quick overall with good yield. I am a two puff a night smoker as I use it for insomnia. Usually I can make an 1/8 last a month. If I can net a weight of 1/2oz with this I will have time for another full growth. The only fear I have is that I might like this strain more than the others I have seeds for. I do not know if I plan on cloning this. I am in the experimental phase to see which strain I like and create a good head stash. Is it reasonable to expect a 1/2 oz off this plant with how it is going?

-TG

it looks pretty good to me,i would recommend a topping, its not much stress if all you do is top it after the 4th set of true leaves, this will provide a substantial help to keeping the height under control and most of the time a boost to the end weight, most plants will recover in a day or 2 and start beefing up side branches, its more than worth any stress for the gains you'll get! a big help to us trying to diagnose any problems, is to get some shots with the hps off and a standard colored light on, even most camera flashes are better than the uber yellow of our beloved hps lights, haze strains generally stretch quite a bit after the flip, again for a sativa dominate strain i would top it the 3ft you have to play with will fill up mighty fast with an untopped sativa, thats my 2 cents anyway, and hey you could practice cloning the piece you remove:thumb:

New_Bitmap_Image.JPG
Appolgies for the crap pictures but it was all i could find. This is your baby that has been LST'd and is 46 days into flower...or so the person says ;)

Hmmm...Perfect reason to smoke more I guess. I believe the bread is Haze + (Northern Lights+Skunk). I guess this could be a bad choice. I ended up getting these from a good friend and ended up with his freebie seeds to learn with. I started this one because the name sounded cool. I usually get Diablo. Sigh. I have not researched the difference between strains all that much but also know that I do not want to pass right out or have instant couch lock. I have these strains remaining in my freebie seed stash GDP, Rocklock, Exile, and Cole Train. The only one that is not fem is the exile. Which one would you recommend for my next grow?

-TG

Thanks for the replies guys. I am so grateful to have your knowledge at a key stroke! I am scared to top the plant as I do not have anywhere to clone the lovely lady. I am running this as stealth as I can because I have two curious children and I am a single parent with full custody. This also make funds tight. The latest purchase was my scrubber and fan. Sigh... I might have gotten in a little over my head.

-TG

i couldnt really reccomend any myself...the hazes are what im hoping will feed my need. i detest couchlock...couchlock is the reason everyone thinks we are jobless bums, couchlock can destroy marriages.

Tho being fair, im the kind that likes to wake up and light up and keep on sucking till its time for bed again. its not that i want to get off my face, its just ciggys taste vile if your on the reefer and i get seriously miserable and depressed without it (im a dysphoria sufferer).

so what i like in a weed is creativity and energy and euphoria, with just a teeny bit of body buzz that slowly builds up during the day.

If you want a strain to help you gently close your eyes at night you need an indica strain imho, im running an afghan kush for that reason (and the fact that a lot of my friends assume that the lazier you are, the stronger the weed must be).

me i just want to fill my lungs, then sit in a room listening to a little music whilst 'imagineering' ways to repair the african water table e.t.c

Back
Top Bottom