Scooby's 1st grow - LED

I know several people are following my journal who are members on other forums. I appreciate you all following along with me, lurkers or not. In case some of you are reading irishboys comp grow between HGL and PS on your boards and not here I'd like to link to a post of his. It sums up, better than I can say it, how I feel about HGL and her lights.

His words are my feelings. Word for Word.

The only thing I would add is this. Previous to now it was non-LED users who were calling her out. Now it's people using her lights, who have read her posts for months now. We have no financial stake, she does. Everyone can make up their own mind.

:peace:

this is 100% right we are not just some trolls bashing her lights. we have actually tested her lights based on her claims and found out the truth with our own eyes. so i believe it give us 100% the right to say what the end result was and our felling on the light as to what was claimed by the company.

Final dry weights for 2 plants chopped.

WW - 33.7g
LAW - 63g

Considerations -

WW - growth either stunted or the strain just doesn't stretch. I'll know more with 3 more going this round. Final plant height was a lot shorter than optimal (have to go back but think 12" - 14"). Could easily fit 2 possibly 3 plants this size under 1 - 126w, pot dependent as well.

LAW - Under cfl's for part of veg. shared one LED with the other 2 ladies until 2nd light arrived 4-5 weeks into flower. Under it's own 126w for the final 5 weeks of flowering. She also stretched and stretched some more on me. More than 2x the size of the WW in height (32" i think). Had she had the 126w for the entire flowering I know we would have seen more yield on her. How much more is the question? A plant this size needs the entire 126w for herself.

For me now the fun really begins. The BB's are my 2 best plants. I think the one under LED is close to the perfect size for plants grown normally under LED's to be (18"-27" narrow this with more grows). You can see a noticeable difference in the look of both buds, so I'm curious if the looks lead to a difference in end product. The one under cfl's is getting nut's. There is not one branch that is not now staked up or tied to the upper shelving, or in 2 cases both. I think I have an idea of what's going to come off of both, but will only say I think some people will be surprised. This time I'll let the pictures and weights speak for themselves. I'll snap some shots when I check trichs again tomorrow.

Nice bit o growing Scooby. You are doing a great job, learning as you go. You're getting a nice stash built up.
It's gonna be fun watching your yields improve as you get things tweaked.

reps if I can

its all dogs fault i seen his post and did the stupid thing and assumed you were using FFOF..lol.. see what ur did Dog:rofl:

I no that's why I asked about the FF soil.. Most people that use ff nutes use ff soil as well..LOL.... I have seen some LED growers have lot's of problems usin ff soil but not so much with the nutes.. The FFOF soil is a little hot for most LED grows IMO.

I would look into changing nutes just to see if it can show better results.......

Great tread......

Nice bit o growing Scooby. You are doing a great job, learning as you go. You're getting a nice stash built up.
It's gonna be fun watching your yields improve as you get things tweaked.

reps if I can

Thanks Mmmmick. Just have to get this last problem licked once and for all and I'll be a lot closer.

:roorrip: my first LAW tonight. I haven't gotten a thing done since. I'm just wasted. :grinjoint: I got some of what I was told was bubba kush this weekend. I didn't sit down the entire weekend and my house has never been as clean. lol. I'm so glad the LAW doesn't taste like it smelled when chopped. Man that was awful.

Thanks Mmmmick. Just have to get this last problem licked once and for all and I'll be a lot closer.

:roorrip: my first LAW tonight. I haven't gotten a thing done since. I'm just wasted. :grinjoint: I got some of what I was told was bubba kush this weekend. I didn't sit down the entire weekend and my house has never been as clean. lol. I'm so glad the LAW doesn't taste like it smelled when chopped. Man that was awful.

if you get that hay smell from what i have been told it means that it dried too fast and the cloraphile didn't evaporate from ur buds. thats the only thing i came to believe? ive had this hay smell the last few harvest because the temps were to hot in the summer i think? love love to hear input why my bud smelled like wet grass or hay?

all i know is when u cure it makes a big diff on the buds smell and strongest. last harvest i forgot about some buds and their were in the jar for over a month and the buds were tops, so crazy what a huge diff that month made. curing is ur best friend!

i use to just hang my plants the whole time when drying, but this time i am going to try a new way to dry. pull the whole plant cut only the sun leafs and let it hang for 3 days, then trim the buds all up and put them in a brown paper bag until all the way dry, then they go in the mason jars for curing. i truly believe the paper bag will make ur buds dry more even.

if you get that hay smell from what i have been told it means that it dried too fast and the cloraphile didn't evaporate from ur buds. thats the only thing i came to believe? ive had this hay smell the last few harvest because the temps were to hot in the summer i think? love love to hear input why my bud smelled like wet grass or hay?

all i know is when u cure it makes a big diff on the buds smell and strongest. last harvest i forgot about some buds and their were in the jar for over a month and the buds were tops, so crazy what a huge diff that month made. curing is ur best friend!

i use to just hang my plants the whole time when drying, but this time i am going to try a new way to dry. pull the whole plant cut only the sun leafs and let it hang for 3 days, then trim the buds all up and put them in a brown paper bag until all the way dry, then they go in the mason jars for curing. i truly believe the paper bag will make ur buds dry more even.

Wasn't a hay smell, I've had that before with bags I've gotten. This just smelled terrible when it was first cut. Honestly, it smelled so bad I wondered if I would smoke it all. That smell went away though with drying. It's all in jars now, but couldn't help but try some :grinjoint:

Trich check today showed about 30% amber so the LED BB got chopped. This was the first time I got 2 sets of eyes on it at the same time. The cfl BB is starting to show a few amber so we're giving her some more time. After checking trichs I can say this for sure. The cfl's produced more trichs than the LED. Much easier to see and find on the cfl. The LED has at least 30% more red hairs through the buds. Not sure why they didn't turn purple. Anyway....

Wet weight BB - LED - 260.6g - She got cut and weighed with more stems and small leaves than the last 2.

up-12-14-bb.jpg

up-12-14-bb-2.jpg

BB - LED
up-12-14-bb-chop.jpg

up-12-14-bb-chop-2.jpg

This BB was topped once. This side got plenty of light. The other, not so much. Got a nice size cola on the other side but no where near as big.
up-12-14-bb-chop-3.jpg

Hey scooby nice grow, I went back a couple pages but did not find exactly what I was looking for because you have a lot of pages. So let me ask, that plant above, was it grown under CFL or LED? It looks damn good regardless.

Also a page back you were talking about drying and curing. Everyone loves the mason jar method and it works awesome dont get me wrong. I came across some books or information in general (I dont remember) and it said that curing is zip lock bags can offer better results then mason under certain circumstances. It listed them all but the main reason was for the space between the buds in a zip lock was greater in most cases compared to mason jars where sometimes things get stuck together and that doesn't make for ideal conditions when curing when you need oxygen surrounding the bud to allow for slow slow evaporation. Just something to consider. Either way good grow journal, everything looks awesome! Peace :grinjoint:.

some time when you get a chance can you post the total led yield and total cfl yield. i get confuse witch plant was grown under what. sorry bro

Yep was planning on it. So far everything pulled has been flowered under LED. I'll recap for everyone.

Final dry weights for 2 plants chopped. Both in mason jars.

WW - 33.7g - under LED entire grow
LAW - 63g - 1-2 week veg LED, 2 week veg cfl, 1 week flower cfl? (have to go back and look at that one), 5 weeks about flowering under 1 - 126w with the other 2 plants chopped already, finished under it's own 126w. I know this one was all over the place. Coverage area through me for a loop to start with.

BB mentioned above was under LED the entire grow. Currently drying. As soon as it is I'll post total LED dry weight and go back and look at exactly when I added the second 126w and when I moved the LAW.

There is one plant left. A Blackberry that's been under cfl's the entire grow except when it was in the red solo cups when it was under LED. Had about 100w of actual usage throughout flowering. Will be my biggest yielder. Nothing pulled yet was flowered more than a week or so under cfl's which was the LAW.

Hey scooby nice grow, I went back a couple pages but did not find exactly what I was looking for because you have a lot of pages. So let me ask, that plant above, was it grown under CFL or LED? It looks damn good regardless.

Also a page back you were talking about drying and curing. Everyone loves the mason jar method and it works awesome dont get me wrong. I came across some books or information in general (I dont remember) and it said that curing is zip lock bags can offer better results then mason under certain circumstances. It listed them all but the main reason was for the space between the buds in a zip lock was greater in most cases compared to mason jars where sometimes things get stuck together and that doesn't make for ideal conditions when curing when you need oxygen surrounding the bud to allow for slow slow evaporation. Just something to consider. Either way good grow journal, everything looks awesome! Peace :grinjoint:.

:thanks: Bot. Hopefully I clarified everything above. The plant I chopped today was under LED the entire time. I know I could still squeeze more out of that one, not sure how much though.

As for zip locks. I hate even getting something in a plastic bag. I can see what they are saying about them getting clumped together. I think I have enough to spread it out some.

On a side note, anyone remember when really good bud used to be sold in small little glass jars?

my personal opion on the zip lock bag is it not a good way to cure. zip lock bags will make ur resin stick to the bags, and you will get that plastic taste, thats why allot of people don't use tubaware because it affects taste. the only reason why it smells better is because ur resin glands are broken open so ur get the dank smell, but in return you lose allot of sweet resin. only real big time growes use plastic bins because the harvesting pounds and pounds so it would be allot of work to put in mason jars. i am not saying in anyway ur wrong and i am right just giving my opion and reasons why i don't think their a good way to cure.

My personal opinion for what it is worth is Zip Lock bags are a big NO No for curing. The reason I think beside the resin sticking to the plastic is they let too much air in. Have you ever lost a bag of pot and found it a month a even more later. Its all dried out and taste like crap and is very harsh to smoke. I have had some buds in jars for over 7 months and it just keeps getting better and better. Just a thought....

Great job on the grow plants and buds look wonderful....

Just a quick note. If anyone has worries about smell, Blackberry is not a good strain. I had to put it in my trunk for 3-5 minutes and 7 hours later my entire car still smells. I've sprayed it 3x! My whole house reeks too.

Nice looking meds there bro..

hmmm... Cure in zip lock. Never heard of that one before. Looking really yummy Scoob. Great job. I like watching you grow and pics, because my 4 mother plants are just a couple weeks behind. Gives me something to look forward to.

My personal opinion for what it is worth is Zip Lock bags are a big NO No for curing. The reason I think beside the resin sticking to the plastic is they let too much air in. Have you ever lost a bag of pot and found it a month a even more later. Its all dried out and taste like crap and is very harsh to smoke. I have had some buds in jars for over 7 months and it just keeps getting better and better. Just a thought....

Great job on the grow plants and buds look wonderful....

Probably wouldn't hurt to have a cobbler standing by in case someone asks...

:cool:

looking great Scooby. I like the look of that BB, whether it smells the placeup or not.

Great job buddy.:goodjob::goodjob:

:thanks: All!

I got a few suggestions for smell for all of you. Before I had a chance to try any of them I had to get someone lunch from Wendy's. A few value menu nuggets took care of the issue. Left me with another, don't like the smell as much but also not worried any longer.

This will be torture waiting 2 more weeks for the BB to dry and cure some before smoking it. My fingers were covered when I was done trimming and it was like licking your fingers after making brownies. Mmmmmmmmmmm.

Also, thanks to everyone who helped me with the issues from the latest run. I think we've got it as a N def. I'm going to let them dry for another 1/2 day or day than hit them with nutes and see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom