Scooby's 1st grow - LED

I cant wait to see the difference between CFL and HGL. What 205w light is the side by side going to use? They are pretty nice sized colas on the last plant. Much more impressive then what I have seen produced under the 126w. I almost think starting a 2nd thread and linking it from here would be the way to go. Unless you plan on doing something like pitviper and others who do the continuous method.

Looking great, very nice looking buds. Very interested to hear the final weight. Enjoy.. You earned it....

It been great reading all the post and thoughts. Greag job SS.
I been waiting and wondering what way to go for budding. I have a few ladies under T-5 that are ready to go to their flowering room. I guess I will buy a HPS 600 watt system for my 3'X3" area. I want to make sure I do it right the first time. I leaning toward a
2'X2' hood and digital 240Volt set up, with a Hortilux bulb.

Wow!!!!......If your getting those kind of results with simple CFL what the hell is everyone doing wasting their time with LED?!?!?! Awesome job man~!:nicethread:

CFL - was either very deceiving or dried a lot more than the LED.

Final Dried weight - 67.4g
Cfl's - 4-26w, 2-13w spots (not 100% on the spot watts but it's close)
130w/67.4g = .51 g/w

I'll update this once the cfl BB has cured completely, BUT, the cfl BB is better smoke than the LED. You knew it would be coming off the plant. I had to clean my fingers 3x while trimming and manicuring the buds up to weigh them to stop them from sticking together. The LED was good smoke, but the cfl knocked me on my ass, even before being cured.

When you consider that the cfl was done as an afterthought, with less than $80 of lights from the Depot, the difference in yield doesn't seem so bad. The LED was more than 5 1/2 times the cost as we put into the cfl's. I'm not giving up on LED, but that's pretty pathetic. Currently shopping for T'5s for flowering of the 1st tents 2nd run.

CFL - was either very deceiving or dried a lot more than the LED.

Final Dried weight - 67.4g
Cfl's - 4-26w, 2-13w spots (not 100% on the spot watts but it's close)
130w/67.4g = .51 g/w

I'll update this once the cfl BB has cured completely, BUT, the cfl BB is better smoke than the LED. You knew it would be coming off the plant. I had to clean my fingers 3x while trimming and manicuring the buds up to weigh them to stop them from sticking together. The LED was good smoke, but the cfl knocked me on my ass, even before being cured.

When you consider that the cfl was done as an afterthought, with less than $80 of lights from the Depot, the difference in yield doesn't seem so bad. The LED was more than 5 1/2 times the cost as we put into the cfl's. I'm not giving up on LED, but that's pretty pathetic. Currently shopping for T'5s for flowering of the 1st tents 2nd run.

no to bad for cfl's. and i would have to agree you saved allot of money over the leds from buying cfl. cant wait to see your next run.

Thats not a bad haul at all, great job. I find it interesting that the cfl's produced better buds than the led. Thats the first I have heard of that. Great job.. Enjoy...

Sent from my Virtual Desk.
Decisions, decisions, decisions…. What to do… A few weeks ago I never heard of 420 mag, and I wasn’t sure what way to go in the flowering room.
Many local growers told me not to waste my time using anything BUT a 1000 W HPS system. But I was reading all the LED ads in High Times, (can you believe a led UFO full page ad, and the light goes for over 1000$$$$) So I Google LED verses HPS and found Scooby’s Thread and 420 mag. I been reading for over a month about LEDs on here, and leaning back and forth on what type of lights to use. Between this and the other threads (Irish) after reading and seating on the edge of my chair to see who will win out. My guess a 600 W HPS or a 300 Watt LED would work great for my 3X3 area, now I need to decide if I should look at all the CFL.
I seen a huge CFL at the local Hydro store, it was in a 2X2 reflector I know it would be a lot cooler than a HPS and I have no cooling in my basement just fresh air intake, and it has to be a LOT better on the power bill. Has anyone done a post on the benefits of CFL?
Heck I think my timer is going to stay on 18 hours a day for a few more days…

My opinion is that LEDs offer no cost savings. LED makers claim that a lower watt LED is equivalent to a higher watt HID. It is just not true. If you are looking for the yield of a 600w HID then you need at least 600w of LED (maybe more) - that's a pretty expensive LED light.

I have three panels producing ~340W of LED light in a 3 x 4.5 area and as the plants are maturing I am now re-routing buds to get them under the light because they were languishing. Due to re-routing my canopy has shrunk to 2x4 (pretty much the footprint of the three LED panels) and now I am seeing swelling on the buds i have re-routed to be directly under the panels.

Now this is with HGL lights. Some of the others have higher wattage diodes which, though they are not as efficient, penetrate better than the 1w used in the HGL "penetrator" (how ironic that name is now). Plus there are other units with a wider viewing angle on the diodes. HGL is 60 deg whereas others are 120 deg, I think 90 deg is probably the sweet spot. As it stands the HGL is worst of both worlds - no coverage and no penetration.

Even with higher wattage diodes and a better viewing angle you probably need 600w of LED light to get the harvest of a 600w HID.

I do not have any experience with CFL lights. But given the little I have seen and given the cost savings over LED and HID I am strongly considering them. The only problem I see with CFL is that you have to keep them so close to the plants. That's not a big problem for a small grow or for a ScrOG or SOG configuration. CFL is probably less than ideal for big plants or irregular canopies. Check out this CFL grow - impressive.

Thats not a bad haul at all, great job. I find it interesting that the cfl's produced better buds than the led. Thats the first I have heard of that. Great job.. Enjoy...

Sonzor, the only reason i can see for this is the difference in the amount of trichs. the cfl had about 30% more.

Decisions, decisions, decisions.... What to do... A few weeks ago I never heard of 420 mag, and I wasn't sure what way to go in the flowering room.
Many local growers told me not to waste my time using anything BUT a 1000 W HPS system. But I was reading all the LED ads in High Times, (can you believe a led UFO full page ad, and the light goes for over 1000$$$$) So I Google LED verses HPS and found Scooby's Thread and 420 mag. I been reading for over a month about LEDs on here, and leaning back and forth on what type of lights to use. Between this and the other threads (Irish) after reading and seating on the edge of my chair to see who will win out. My guess a 600 W HPS or a 300 Watt LED would work great for my 3X3 area, now I need to decide if I should look at all the CFL.
I seen a huge CFL at the local Hydro store, it was in a 2X2 reflector I know it would be a lot cooler than a HPS and I have no cooling in my basement just fresh air intake, and it has to be a LOT better on the power bill. Has anyone done a post on the benefits of CFL?
Heck I think my timer is going to stay on 18 hours a day for a few more days...

Sorry to make more work for you! hopefully it saves you some cash and gets you better smoke!

My opinion is that LEDs offer no cost savings. LED makers claim that a lower watt LED is equivalent to a higher watt HID. It is just not true. If you are looking for the yield of a 600w HID then you need at least 600w of LED (maybe more) - that's a pretty expensive LED light.

Now this is with HGL lights. Some of the others have higher wattage diodes which, though they are not as efficient, penetrate better than the 1w used in the HGL "penetrator" (how ironic that name is now). Plus there are other units with a wider viewing angle on the diodes. HGL is 60 deg whereas others are 120 deg, I think 90 deg is probably the sweet spot. As it stands the HGL is worst of both worlds - no coverage and no penetration.

agreed. I don't even want to think about Botanist and others who got the 30degree model.

Decisions, decisions, decisions…. What to do… A few weeks ago I never heard of 420 mag, and I wasn’t sure what way to go in the flowering room.
Many local growers told me not to waste my time using anything BUT a 1000 W HPS system. But I was reading all the LED ads in High Times, (can you believe a led UFO full page ad, and the light goes for over 1000$$$$) So I Google LED verses HPS and found Scooby’s Thread and 420 mag. I been reading for over a month about LEDs on here, and leaning back and forth on what type of lights to use. Between this and the other threads (Irish) after reading and seating on the edge of my chair to see who will win out. My guess a 600 W HPS or a 300 Watt LED would work great for my 3X3 area, now I need to decide if I should look at all the CFL.
Heck I think my timer is going to stay on 18 hours a day for a few more days…

bro its as simple as this. you need watt for watt of leds to match HPS. do not listen to the BS sales claims, because i have been around leds for a long time now and haven't seen a led beat HPS with less watts.
now if heat is not a issue and you need a flowering light right now, i would go with a 600w hps depending on you room size. the HPS will save you allot of money on the start up cost then leds. now if heat is a big problem then leds might be the way to go, but the problem is we haven't found that bad ass led light yet. all i can say is stay away from the HGL light, learn from our mistakes. i am going to try a new led light out soon, it sounds promising, but you never know? i cant say for sure because i haven't used it/ or seen a grow log.

I have three panels producing ~340W of LED light in a 3 x 4.5 area and as the plants are maturing I am now re-routing buds to get them under the light because they were languishing. Due to re-routing my canopy has shrunk to 2x4 (pretty much the footprint of the three LED panels) and now I am seeing swelling on the buds i have re-routed to be directly under the panels.

Even with higher wattage diodes and a better viewing angle you probably need 600w of LED light to get the harvest of a 600w HID.

I do not have any experience with CFL lights. But given the little I have seen and given the cost savings over LED and HID I am strongly considering them. The only problem I see with CFL is that you have to keep them so close to the plants. That's not a big problem for a small grow or for a ScrOG or SOG configuration. CFL is probably less than ideal for big plants or irregular canopies. Check out this CFL grow - impressive.

I agree here Slimm. With most all of what you said!

90 degrees has to be the sweet spot between penetration and coverage, also, since I have experience with a higher watt LED such as the Lumigrow running 5W diodes, I can say that the penetration is obvious once you step up a notch. Then again, If I am understanding things correctly, the unit that Irish just got, and the 300W I just ordered, says they are 3W 3Chip diodes. I am not sure if this means there are three 1 W diodes, or if there are 3 watts being plugged into a diode at three different points. 3 Chip? I think each diode has a chip, not sure though? I am not EXPERT. haha

It is good, and bad considering what some of has spent on these units, that the truth is coming out, and even after buying junk, I still buy more in hopes for that good unit.

Pioneering is a rugged path! Little did we know we were pioneers. :yummy:

Peace y'all!

G0 Green!

I agree here Slimm. With most all of what you said!

90 degrees has to be the sweet spot between penetration and coverage, also, since I have experience with a higher watt LED such as the Lumigrow running 5W diodes, I can say that the penetration is obvious once you step up a notch. Then again, If I am understanding things correctly, the unit that Irish just got, and the 300W I just ordered, says they are 3W 3Chip diodes. I am not sure if this means there are three 1 W diodes, or if there are 3 watts being plugged into a diode at three different points. 3 Chip? I think each diode has a chip, not sure though? I am not EXPERT. haha

It is good, and bad considering what some of has spent on these units, that the truth is coming out, and even after buying junk, I still buy more in hopes for that good unit.

Pioneering is a rugged path! Little did we know we were pioneers. :yummy:

Peace y'all!

G0 Green!

it means he uses 3w leds but they have three 1w chips to make 3w leds in one bulb. dont know if that makes sense to you? kinda hard to say.lol
it a 3w led bulb powered buy 3 one watt chips. so you dont lose the lumen's like you would using 3w led chips you still get the same lumen's as a one watt just x3. it also cuts down on heat doing it this way. from what i have heard.

Those buds are bright green, wow. Very nice looking. Im surprised the CFLs are producing a better smoke then the LEDs. Cammie would have you beleive that its the other way around.

bro its as simple as this. you need watt for watt of leds to match HPS. do not listen to the BS sales claims, because i have been around leds for a long time now and haven't seen a led beat HPS with less watts.
now if heat is not a issue and you need a flowering light right now, i would go with a 600w hps depending on you room size. the HPS will save you allot of money on the start up cost then leds. now if heat is a big problem then leds might be the way to go, but the problem is we haven't found that bad ass led light yet. all i can say is stay away from the HGL light, learn from our mistakes. i am going to try a new led light out soon, it sounds promising, but you never know? i cant say for sure because i haven't used it/ or seen a grow log.

If you go watt for watt with HPS you will still generate the same amount of heat. The only difference will be close to the hps bulb. Ambient temps will stay close to the same in both setups.

it means he uses 3w leds but they have three 1w chips to make 3w leds in one bulb. dont know if that makes sense to you? kinda hard to say.lol
it a 3w led bulb powered buy 3 one watt chips. so you dont lose the lumen's like you would using 3w led chips you still get the same lumen's as a one watt just x3. it also cuts down on heat doing it this way. from what i have heard.

Did you already start a thread w/ this light? I am interested in seeing how it flowers now that I have no lights left I am in the market to buy new ones =)

I know I am a green horn, or new member, or smoke green.... But you would have the same heat factor, if you use a 600w LED or 600W hid or 600W CFL?

sounds like a legit way of figuring it out. either way it dosent matter if you add them however you want it still dosent equal up to a 400w hps. thats why on the other site she is giving away free lights for someone to do a side x side with her 205w unit against a 400w hps. so i asked her why a 400w hps why not a 600w hps since your light is claimed to be equal to it? then she got all bitchy and made some lame ass reasons. funny she knows a 600w hps will smoke her light...lol

here how the conversation went:
ME:
one question? not to start $hit but shouldnt the 205w test be a 600w side x side since its claimed to be equal to a 600w hps? was their a reason why you want a 400w hps test instead of a 600w hps?

either way i would like to see that 205w unit go up against the PS 180w. that would be an interesting test to see.

HER:

It is due to the footprint size of the light. We recommend using the 205W in a 30"x30" area, although it can support a maximum area of 3' x 3'. A 400W HID has a more comparable footprint to the 205W, allowing for the same number of plants to be grown under each fairly well. It is for this reason that we would prefer it be compared to a 400W.

ME:

but cant you just use a 600w and the same amount of plants and it would be the same? and keep each plant in the same size area. that way it would be a accurate way of testing the yield since the light is compared to a 600w hps. just keep both plants in the same size area. i am sure you will get allot more respect using a 600w HPS for that side x side test, since customers would want to see if the 205w led light would really match a 600w hps yield as claimed. its just a thought to think about.

either way i would like to see these test, and realy like to see the 205w vs 180w, since it will be diff from my test. now your light has the higher watts. be cool to see what happens.

her:

This thread is not about all this Irish, and I think you and I have gone over the HID crap enough... So seriously, let this thread be ON TOPIC, and let people post their applications. It's not for bitching about the parameters of the comparison. Thank you.

what a joke, trying to BS around testing a 600w hps because of the foot print what kind of reason is that. so how is that light equal to a 600w now? should she be wanting to test the 126w aginst a 400w hps not the 205w.
You don't have to worry, because the 400 watt hps will smoke her 205 watt !! Guaranteed !! As long as she uses a good bulb in the 400 hps .

Back
Top Bottom