Scrumpdilly's First Time Grow - AK48 & White Widow Autoflower

Re: Scrumpdilly's First Time Grow - AK48 & White Widow Autoflower

I'm pretty much doing this for my own benefit, but I'll probably post a pic of both girls each day. Was hot as crap today so it didn't go below 81°F in the tent. They seemed to like it though! I also think it's funny that the WW leaves are so much bigger than the AK, but I guess that's phenos for ya. Top pic is AK, bottom is white widow
420-magazine-mobile1790916443.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1090819656.jpg

I just want to add that this whole process has done a pretty great job of lifting me up lately. I'm a sous chef and I don't really get any vacation/ holiday ever... I know I'm only at the beginning, but watching anything grow (plants and beyond) gives you a lot more to think about than the mundane ins and outs of daily life. Growing veggies, brewing beer, growing herb... these are all forms of medication in my life that have beat any pill. But hey, that could just be the master kush blunt talking. Good night and good grows everyone!

Didn't mention soil was dry a few inches down so I upped it to about a 2 oz shot of water for each girl. I will be camping the next couple of days and I didn't want them screaming for water Monday since we'll be gone until Monday night. I was also considering skipping past the gallon pot and just transplanting to the 5 gallon big boys once the leaves reach the outside of the cups so there would be less transplanting stress. Anybody have experience/ input on that?

Cant offer any experience, but i have read a number of journals on here that worked out great going straight into the 5 gal. Smaller pot would probably easier to control soil dampness, but not sure if worth an extra transplant. Will be watching this to see what the experts have to say.

I'm in! I'm not too experienced, but I'll help where I can!

As for the pot sizing, I think going to 5 gallons is good. The reason I say that is I've heard autos start to flower once the roots hit the bottom of the pot.

I don't work with autos, I'm only familiar with photo periods but I'm sure someone will be here shortly to confirm/deny what I just said.

I did have some autos this summer that I did a super cheap low light back deck grow with. I started them right in 1 gallons, and waited for roots to develop to transplant. They started flowering before the roots were developed enough, imo, to transplant so by the time I did it they had already switched to flower.

Long story short the transplant stunted them and basically stopped them from growing after that, they did ok but not as good as if I just let them ride out the big pot from the start.

That's my one experience with autos lol I think if you know my mistake, you'll do fine!

With that I'm subbed and here for the ride, cheers! :ganjamon:

Didn't mention soil was dry a few inches down so I upped it to about a 2 oz shot of water for each girl. I will be camping the next couple of days and I didn't want them screaming for water Monday since we'll be gone until Monday night. I was also considering skipping past the gallon pot and just transplanting to the 5 gallon big boys once the leaves reach the outside of the cups so there would be less transplanting stress. Anybody have experience/ input on that?
I haven't grown autos yet but from what I've read it's best to plant them straight into their final pot as they don't like being transplanted. I'd suggest getting them into the 5gal pots soon before the roots get a feel for the cups they're in.

I haven't grown autos yet but from what I've read it's best to plant them straight into their final pot as they don't like being transplanted. I'd suggest getting them into the 5gal pots soon before the roots get a feel for the cups they're in.
I didn't start them in the 5 gals for 2 reasons. 1. Read a lot about plants taking longer to mature in the bigger pots started from seed and I'm going for a quick a harvest as possible. 2. I read a lot more about people's seedlings burning in strictly fox farms ocean forest and I wanted to ease them into the 100% FFOF for less stress?

I didn't start them in the 5 gals for 2 reasons. 1. Read a lot about plants taking longer to mature in the bigger pots started from seed and I'm going for a quick a harvest as possible. 2. I read a lot more about people's seedlings burning in strictly fox farms ocean forest and I wanted to ease them into the 100% FFOF for less stress?
Sounds like you've done your research and thought it out. There are a lot of things people say you 'must' or 'can't' do with autos, and there's usually a few growers that have done the opposite with great results.

For sure. Read up for a couple months before starting anything. That's the problem though. To quote you, haha "There are a lot of things people say you 'must' or 'can't' do with autos, and there's usually a few growers that have done the opposite with great results." Sometimes the positive cause and effect of someone's plant growth is the downfall or at least hindrance of someone else's. Luckily I have 4 more seeds of each so there is only room to grow. . do you see what I did there?

Gave the white widow a little bend this morning because she's working on breaking out of the top of the cup and she's already bouncing back
420-magazine-mobile1506223653.jpg

Maybe I missed it but are you still planning to transplant the auto 2 times?
Once with auto's I've read people doing without problems most the time, but twice would be pushing it don't you think for something that doesn't like being transplanted. Ie.. solo to final resting place I've read people doing often enough without problems, but solo to 1g to then 5g, make sure you really want to do that with your autoflowers, unlike photo-period you don't have control of the clock if they need recovery time from transplant.

I would run the exhaust, as someone else mentioned, it'll help keep a consistent temp\environment, as well as good air flow, maybe help you get it down from 84f a few degrees, which is about as high as you want to see it.

Maybe I missed it but are you still planning to transplant the auto 2 times?
Once with auto's I've read people doing without problems most the time, but twice would be pushing it don't you think for something that doesn't like being transplanted. Ie.. solo to final resting place I've read people doing often enough without problems, but solo to 1g to then 5g, make sure you really want to do that with your autoflowers, unlike photo-period you don't have control of the clock if they need recovery time from transplant.

I would run the exhaust, as someone else mentioned, it'll help keep a consistent temp\environment, as well as good air flow, maybe help you get it down from 84f a few degrees, which is about as high as you want to see it.
I decided when the leaves reach the outside of the cup I'm going to transfer straight to the 5 gallon smart pots. Also I never stopped running the exhaust.

Just got back from camping. We had a two mile island to the three of us! And some more noticeable growth accomplished while I was gone! Top pic is AK and bottom pic is white widow. Also does anybody know what's up with with the curling on the one second leaf of the AK-48? As I didn't watch it grow out, I don't know if maybe the tip of it got stuck on a first leaf while it was growing out?
420-magazine-mobile1774613646.jpg
420-magazine-mobile887274936.jpg

here's a close-up look
420-magazine-mobile577635154.jpg
420-magazine-mobile626040885.jpg

Just got back from camping. We had a two mile island to the three of us! And some more noticeable growth accomplished while I was gone! Top pic is AK and bottom pic is white widow. Also does anybody know what's up with with the curling on the one second leaf of the AK-48? As I didn't watch it grow out, I don't know if maybe the tip of it got stuck on a first leaf while it was growing out?
here's a close-up look

Don't worry about that little curl thing.. give it a week and bet it's long gone.
My Candy Cane lady had a 'retarded\stunted\crunched up' looking 4th leaf like that my first week or so, had me worried for a few days, then one morning..poof..gone..it just grew out of it. If I were a betting man I'd say 7 days from now you'll have forgotten it ever looked like that.

Don't worry about that little curl thing.. give it a week and bet it's long gone.
My Candy Cane lady had a 'retarded\stunted\crunched up' looking 4th leaf like that my first week or so, had me worried for a few days, then one morning..poof..gone..it just grew out of it. If I were a betting man I'd say 7 days from now you'll have forgotten it ever looked like that.
Thanks. I still am curious if it got stuck on a cotyledon or something. Hopefully it'll be good soon!

Thanks. I still am curious if it got stuck on a cotyledon or something. Hopefully it'll be good soon!
It may have, you don't need too...but you could just get a toothpick or thin paint bush and just carefully nudge it a little so that the tip lips over the side of the cotyledon, but it'll probably do it on it's own in a couple days.

Ok. Another question for everyone. Do you gradually switch to 12/12 by decreasing your light schedule or do you just switch it overnight, and if you do switch it overnight, do you give it 24 hours of darkness before flipping?

Back
Top Bottom