Seeds directly in growing medium?

mrwdd

This is my first time growing.
I need help from experienced grower.
Before i start germinate my seed.
Is it okay to start germinate in 3gal fabric pot?
I heard it takes longer compare to other method, how long does it take??

Any recommendation for 1st time grower? I really dont wanna ruin =(

Equipment:
4x4x8 Tent
730w spiderfarm LED
4" fans
4" carbon filter
pH & TDS meter
Light Timer
Royal cheese seed

Equipment:
4x4x8 Tent
730w spiderfarm LED
4" fans
4" carbon filter
pH & TDS meter
Light Timer
Royal cheese seed
I germinate like this. First I line a match box with fine grit sandpaper and shake seeds for a couple minutes. Then take 1 part peroxide to 10 parts water and soak seeds for a couple hours. I then put seeds in a paper towel and dampen it with solution. Damp not wet, put it in a ziplock bag and keep in a dark warm place. CL🍀. :goodluck:

:welcome:Many put the seed directly in soil to sprout. I know @Trala does for sure.
If planting direct, make sure your soil is well aerated. Pearlite works well for this.
Bury seed approximately half of an inch deep and keep the soil damp. A spray bottle works best as it is less likely to disturb the seed or soil. When I have used this method the seed usually pops up within 2 to 8 days. Once up, follow @Emilya Green 's guide on The Proper Way To Water A Potted Plant .
:goodluck:

You can, but germinating a seed into that big a pot is going to make proper watering a real challenge, especially for a new grower. Better to germinate in something much smaller, like a solo cup with drainage holes and then transplant as the plant grows larger as it is  much easier to control the watering that way.

I prefer to germinate directly in soil, especially for an organic grow. What are you planning to use for nutes?

You can, but germinating a seed into that big a pot is going to make proper watering a real challenge, especially for a new grower. Better to germinate in something much smaller, like a solo cup with drainage holes and then transplant as the plant grows larger as it is  much easier to control the watering that way.

I prefer to germinate directly in soil, especially for an organic grow. What are you planning to use for nutes?
Im planning to use foxfarm trio and calmg.

I should do red plastic solo cup and than transplant to 3gal pod.
Thank u

Im planning to use foxfarm trio and calmg.

I should do red plastic solo cup and than transplant to 3gal pod.
Thank u
That would work well. Personally I'd do a clear cup inside the red one. That way you can watch the roots develop and accelerate your learning curve. So, drainage holes or slits on the inside one, no holes on the outer one to control the runoff from making a mess.

To be fair to @Azimuth planting directly into a big pot is difficult to water properly when you’re in plastic containers.

If you’re in fabric pots and your medium is aerated you can water every day and never over water your plants. (Shoutout to @BeanTownFan420 for that tip)

If you’re on a time crunch then sprouting in a solo cup is a good idea. If you’re not on a crunch, starting in your final container is easier.

I’ll also leave this here:

About the same amount of time. Planting directly in soil is less labor intensive.

Using healthy mature seeds that have not been stored for years and years the timing of either method is the same.

Some people will soak the seed in water or H2O2 for a day or longer while waiting for it to sprout/germinate. Or they will soak the seed for several hours up to as long as a day before putting it between two layers of paper towel. They wait until the tap root (radicle) shows and then plant it in the soil or grow medium and wait for the cotyledons to push up through the soil or growing medium. All told it probably takes 3, sometimes 4 days from starting the soaking till the seed shows successful sprouting/germination with the cotyledons showing above ground.

Or make a small hole in moist soil or the growing medium, drop the seed in and lightly pinch the soil over the top. Let the moisture in the soil soak the seed, softening the shell or husk and starting the hormones in the cotyledons and the radicle which begins the sprouting/germinating process. All told it probably takes 3, sometimes 4 days from the time the seed is placed in the moist soil and the cotyledons show.

Occasionally it can take longer than 4 days using either method.

To be fair to @Azimuth planting directly into a big pot is difficult to water properly when you’re in plastic containers.

If you’re in fabric pots and your medium is aerated you can water every day and never over water your plants. (Shoutout to @BeanTownFan420 for that tip)

If you’re on a time crunch then sprouting in a solo cup is a good idea. If you’re not on a crunch, starting in your final container is easier.

I’ll also leave this here:

I was gonna say the same. LOS systems need to stay damp. Water a little everyday. I start in cups or whatever, but I'm about to start making old socks into mini fabric pots. Then I can just drop the mini in the big. No actual "transplanting". I tried grow bags again ...but didn't care for them. Fabric for the win.

I find temperature to usually be the deciding factor on how long they take to germinate, regardless of which 'method'. My experience is that they are faster when they are warm (75 degrees F and above), and slower when they are cold.

I never germinate lower than 78F and that’s kind of pushing it. I like to keep it 80-85F. I do those temps though because I run my entire grow at 85 so it’s a smooth transition. I think anything below 70-75 and you’re looking for problems as you said.

I was gonna say the same. LOS systems need to stay damp. Water a little everyday. I start in cups or whatever, but I'm about to start making old socks into mini fabric pots. Then I can just drop the mini in the big. No actual "transplanting". I tried grow bags again ...but didn't care for them. Fabric for the win.

Wow.. old socks, that’s brilliant. Currently I use a ton of holes in solos like this

IMG_5362.jpeg
IMG_5366.jpeg

If you document your attempt please tag me if you remember. I love fabric. Plastic is really useful for trying to make tight root balls or making plants root bound.

That would work well. Personally I'd do a clear cup inside the red one. That way you can watch the roots develop and accelerate your learning curve. So, drainage holes or slits on the inside one, no holes on the outer one to control the runoff from making a mess.
Now thats a cool idea @Azimuth 🤙✌️
I use my small finger to make a small crater in the soil , so deep that the fingernail is in the soil , for me that always works , keep moist don't over water , good luck

Personally I'd do a clear cup inside the red one. That way you can watch the roots develop and accelerate your learning curve. So, drainage holes or slits on the inside one, no holes on the outer one to control the runoff from making a mess.
Always liked the idea of a clear inner cup and a red or blue cup for the outer one.

The water that goes through the small holes in the sides/bottoms of the inner cup would become trapped in the outer cup. The outer cup would need a few larger holes in the bottom just to let the excess water out. Or is there another way to get the excess water out without lifting it and pouring it out after each watering?

I take the inner cup out, water it and let it drain, then put it back in the outer cup. No mess. No roots sitting in water (unless SIP of course :laughtwo: )
What I figured but also figured it was best to bring it up for those who are new to the game and still lurking in the background reading msgs and trying to get all the info they can.

Equipment:
4x4x8 Tent
730w spiderfarm LED
4" fans
4" carbon filter
pH & TDS meter
Light Timer
Royal cheese seed

good start
what media are you using ?

part of the decision depends on your level of experience and what you are going to run.

are you growing autos or photos ? it's often best for less experienced folk to plant autos in the final pot from the get go. only you can judge your level.

it's not a deal breaker to start autos in a solo or smaller pot, but you have to watch the plants and be ready to up pot quickly if you do within a tight timeframe. if you miss the window you can stunt the plant or trigger an auto early.

if you are running photos it's actually easier and better overall for the plant to start them in a smaller container and then up pot as they develop. the rootball develops a tiny bit better, but the real advantage is it enables better control over the grow.

that's bad advice for newer folk. i'd always do holes in both. a lot of newer folk overwater. even experienced growers will oops it sometimes.

not letting drainage out exacerbates the situation, suffocating and killing the plant much easier. holes in both inner and outer cups are a good idea.

I never germinate lower than 78F and that’s kind of pushing it. I like to keep it 80-85F. I do those temps though because I run my entire grow at 85 so it’s a smooth transition. I think anything below 70-75 and you’re looking for problems as you said.

Wow.. old socks, that’s brilliant. Currently I use a ton of holes in solos like this

IMG_5362.jpeg
IMG_5366.jpeg

If you document your attempt please tag me if you remember. I love fabric. Plastic is really useful for trying to make tight root balls or making plants root bound.
@Keffka , how do you make these hole in your cups? They look so nice and smooth.

Thank you... :smokin:

Back
Top Bottom