Seeds

I keep mine in old pill bottles. No special treatment, just keep them dry and cool. Admittedly they're only bagseed, but I've popped 10 year old seeds stored this way. Last lot was 100% germination rate from seeds stored for over 5 years.

I am presently running 5 LSD plants whos seeds I have been saving since 2016. They were still very viable and a credit to my storage system. I have simply stored them in the back of my fridge, in a dark colored mason jar, sealed up with a large desiccant pack to keep the moisture out along with about 80 different varieties of pot. They don't all hold up this well, but most seem to. I am waiting to see if seeds that have been stored for 10 years in this manner will still germinate... I'm thinking that they will.

i store mine in little zippies and small plastic containers,, in a dark box but room temp,, have had no issues for years,,

How should I store seeds? I would like to store them correctly so I can use them when I am ready. I searched around but so many different opinions.
There are so many 'opinions' because there are so many ways to successfully store them.

Best temperature is anywhere from room temperatures to refrigerator cold. They can be stored in little plastic bottles, Doob Tubes, small plastic or paper bags or if it is just a few they can be dropped into a paper or plastic drinking straw and the ends sealed up. I am currently using all of the storage options on a shelf in the fridge.

One thing no one directly mentioned, though @Emilya came close, is that each container should be labeled with the name of the strain that the seed supposedly came from. I even put on the name of the person that gave me the seeds if it was not my son-in-law. Good idea to put on the date. I also recommend putting them somewhere in your house or apartment where you will remember where they are. I am still looking for a matchbox with some Acapulco Gold seeds I put away back in the early 1970s.;)

Of course, you don't have to label them or remember where you left them. But then there is a good chance that one day you will go to plant some seeds for a new grow and you won't remember what they were after spending a week or more looking for your seed stash. You might be surprised at the number of growers who start off threads asking the group if they can identify the strain they are growing because they forgot and did not put the label on the little container.

There are so many 'opinions' because there are so many ways to successfully store them.

Best temperature is anywhere from room temperatures to refrigerator cold. They can be stored in little plastic bottles, Doob Tubes, small plastic or paper bags or if it is just a few they can be dropped into a paper or plastic drinking straw and the ends sealed up. I am currently using all of the storage options on a shelf in the fridge.

One thing no one directly mentioned, though @Emilya came close, is that each container should be labeled with the name of the strain that the seed supposedly came from. I even put on the name of the person that gave me the seeds if it was not my son-in-law. Good idea to put on the date. I also recommend putting them somewhere in your house or apartment where you will remember where they are. I am still looking for a matchbox with some Acapulco Gold seeds I put away back in the early 1970s.;)

Of course, you don't have to label them or remember where you left them. But then there is a good chance that one day you will go to plant some seeds for a new grow and you won't remember what they were after spending a week or more looking for your seed stash. You might be surprised at the number of growers who start off threads asking the group if they can identify the strain they are growing because they forgot and did not put the label on the little container.
Guilty as charged, M'lud

I got a couple of great suggestions out of this...
Looking back at my extensive seed collection, I would give a lot to know the date that I put some of these in there. I also love the straw idea as a simple yet durable container and may yet go through my collection replacing wrapped up baggies and paper containers with sleek and efficient soda straws of various lengths. Thank you!

Straw idea is awesome!

I went overboard, because seeds are my adult Legos...
IMG_4254.jpg

I went overboard, because seeds are my adult Legos...
IMG_4254.jpg
Niiice - love those containers. Where did you get them and how are you printing labels.

Labeling seed and dating them is how I do it. I either keep them in original container they were sent to me in or when I make seeds which is almost every run, I use paper seed envelopes and keep them stored in a cool dry place.

Once seeds are older say longer than a year - it's good practice to scarify them prior to germination. The shells get harder as the seeds get older. Sometimes they won't germinate or are unable to break the shell. I've put seeds that didn't germinate outside in the ground and sure enough they eventually pop almost every time too. There's bacteria in the soil and on the seed that help with germination.

Straw idea is awesome!
One of the members sent several seeds my way using a piece of paper straw to hold the seeds. After opening the package it still took me awhile to find the seeds. It was a great stealth project.

Since I will not be planting those seeds until late winter I kept them in the straw which now hangs out in a pill bottle on a shelf in the fridge.

The only problem I see is that I still have to put the straw into a tube or pill bottle along with a note telling me the name of the strain and the date. Cannot come up with a way to fasten the note to the straw so that it does not come off.

One of the members sent several seeds my way using a piece of paper straw to hold the seeds. After opening the package it still took me awhile to find the seeds. It was a great stealth project.

Since I will not be planting those seeds until late winter I kept them in the straw which now hangs out in a pill bottle on a shelf in the fridge.

The only problem I see is that I still have to put the straw into a tube or pill bottle along with a note telling me the name of the strain and the date. Cannot come up with a way to fasten the note to the straw so that it does not come off.
Painter’s tape? take about 2” of that, put the straw in the middle and close the tape on itself so there’s a “tag” hanging off the side you can write on!

Painter’s tape? take about 2” of that, put the straw in the middle and close the tape on itself so there’s a “tag” hanging off the side you can write on!
I had thought about that but ended up putting the section of straw into a small doob tube and writing the strain and username on the painter's tape and putting that on the tube. The names were hidden to protect our privacy.

full

Niiice - love those containers. Where did you get them and how are you printing labels.

Labeling seed and dating them is how I do it. I either keep them in original container they were sent to me in or when I make seeds which is almost every run, I use paper seed envelopes and keep them stored in a cool dry place.

Once seeds are older say longer than a year - it's good practice to scarify them prior to germination. The shells get harder as the seeds get older. Sometimes they won't germinate or are unable to break the shell. I've put seeds that didn't germinate outside in the ground and sure enough they eventually pop almost every time too. There's bacteria in the soil and on the seed that help with germination.
The tubes are medical sample tubes I got on Amazon. I place a tiny desiccant pack in withe the seeds. Place them all in a dark plastic bag in the bottom of my fridge. I print the labels on a professional large format inkjet printer (what I sell for a living) so, not available to most people...

What about those little vials that you use for soil and water testing - the ones from the testing kits?? I also use the eye dropper bottles from the stuff I need for glaucoma - after it is empty pull out the dropper part and wash well.
Several good ideas.

Once dry the little bottles should seal up great reducing the chance of humidity building up inside. At least I think they would since they are designed to not leak water or other liquids.

Back
Top Bottom