Just curious Azi...did you dome the cutting or leave it open to atmosphere? and was your soil organic or synthetic or inert like coco?
My regular set-up. Potting soil, no nutes, vented dome for a couple of weeks on a heat mat, though I don't think they even lasted that long.

I know water based cloners don't need a dome (think glasses of water, aero cloners and perlite bed cloners) so maybe that's something to experiment with, and now that you mention it, I don't know why it didn't occur to me to try that angle.

Good idear. Maybe I'll give it a go as I've been thinking about monkeying around with my cloning process anyway. Let us know if you try it as well. :thumb:

My regular set-up. Potting soil, no nutes, vented dome for a couple of weeks on a heat mat, though I don't think they even lasted that long.

I know water based cloners don't need a dome (think glasses of water, aero cloners and perlite bed cloners) so maybe that's something to experiment with, and now that you mention it, I don't know why it didn't occur to me to try that angle.

Good idear. Maybe I'll give it a go as I've been thinking about monkeying around with my cloning process anyway. Let us know if you try it as well. :thumb:
Yeah my thinking exactly. I dome my clones in cups but not in my klone-king aero cloner. I have no plants in veg as I was going to take the winter off so I cant science that one for awhile.

@LKABudMan does a lot of record keeping so perhaps he could better answer your questions.

Me? I keep it pretty simple and don't try to maximize everything out. Would be interesting to see your experiments if you do them though. Post them here if you do!
My record keeping isn't that good ;)

Yeah my thinking exactly. I dome my clones in cups but not in my klone-king aero cloner. I have no plants in veg as I was going to take the winter off so I cant science that one for awhile.
Ok, stay tuned. I'm probably going to try some starting tonight.

If you controlled the gradient in the soil of the clone cup and dialed it in then roots should explode. Drill a hole in the bottom of a solo cup, hang a piece of yarn into a pop bottle full of water and control the gradient above with the levels in the pop bottle below and I bet when you hit the sweet spot you will know. Try 7 all at 1 inch increments. maybe from 9"-15" below the top of the soil for reservoir level heights. Damn I wish I had a plant in veg. Guess who's popping a seed today😊

Ladies are looking spectacular krissi! Looks like I gotta find your journal and see your green thumbs in action. SIP's for the win!
Thanks so much, youre welcome to come visit whenever you would like! I'm amazed at how this is just causing pandemonium, in a good way, all over this forum. These DIYs are off the charts, I'm just over here with my standard OG self feed pots lol

If you controlled the gradient in the soil of the clone cup and dialed it in then roots should explode. Drill a hole in the bottom of a solo cup, hang a piece of yarn into a pop bottle full of water and control the gradient above with the levels in the pop bottle below and I bet when you hit the sweet spot you will know. Try 7 all at 1 inch increments. maybe from 9"-15" below the top of the soil for reservoir level heights. Damn I wish I had a plant in veg. Guess who's popping a seed today😊
Those are good ideas, but maybe for round two if my first effort is unssuccessful. First I'm going to try just a straight up SIP in 9oz solo's, though with a low water level in the reservoir. Ideally the cloning set-up is super simple and just like the pots we regularly use.

Those are good ideas, but maybe for round two if my first effort is unssuccessful. First I'm going to try just a straight up SIP in 9oz solo's, though with a low water level in the reservoir. Ideally the cloning set-up is super simple and just like the pots we regularly use.
Keep us posted👍😊❤️

Um.... Azi, maybe I'm dreaming, but can you uppot that 9oz Solo Cup SIP into a 5G SIP bucket?

Because if you CAN, then could a guy hypothetically start with regular seeds in SIP or even SWICK,
and then flip long enough to identify gender,
and then transplant the females into 5G SIPs (and flower the best male or two out)?

Or would that NOT work?
Because if you can uppot from SWICK to SIP, that would be a game changer for me.

Um.... Azi, maybe I'm dreaming, but can you uppot that 9oz Solo Cup SIP into a 5G SIP bucket?
That's the plan. But the plan assumes I can get a cutting to root in a SIP. My last attempt to do so failed quite effectively so I'm going to try a slightly different approach.

Because if you CAN, then could a guy hypothetically start with regular seeds in SIP or even SWICK,
and then flip long enough to identify gender,
and then transplant the females into 5G SIPs (and flower the best male or two out)?
If I were going to do that, I would plant my various seeds and then train the plants as I normally would. Once they were large enough and mature enough (growing with alternating rather than opposite nodes) I would take cuttings and, once rooted, I would immediately flip the clone to identify sex. Then you know what you're dealing with on the main plant without the stress of flipping and then revegging that main plant.

That's the plan.
:woohoo: :woohoo::woohoo::slide::slide::slide:
But the plan assumes I can get a cutting to root in a SIP. My last attempt to do so failed quite effectively so I'm going to try a slightly different approach.
Ok... great!! I am sure you will get it!
Only, how do you build a 9oz Solo-Cup SIP??
(Did you cover the plan last week, while I was away??? Or where can I find this plan??)
If I were going to do that, I would plant my various seeds and then train the plants as I normally would. Once they were large enough and mature enough (growing with alternating rather than opposite nodes) I would take cuttings and, once rooted, I would immediately flip the clone to identify sex. Then you know what you're dealing with on the main plant without the stress of flipping and then revegging that main plant.
Ok, great!
Only, how long does it take for them to get rooted?

9 happens to be my favorite number! It was my soccer # all through my years and I'm born on the 18th and the house I grew up in in Staten Island was #9 and the house I grew up in was #33 (3×3=9).

Weird. Anyway. Must be the weed today. My apologies :rofl: :passitleft:
Cool my BD is October 9th. CL🍀

Page 2 of this thread.
:thumb:
Ideally 10-15 days.

(COPY-PASTE):
Solo Cups
This version is a bit of a compromise since creating the void is hard to do with such a small container so it's built a bit differently than the others.
For this size I make a small hole with a soldering iron or drill bit about 1 inch/25mm up the side from the bottom of the cup.
Then I put either small hydroton clay balls or perlite/pumice in the bottom up to a level about 1.75"/45mm and then top with soil. Since the hydroton/perlite layer is higher than the overflow hole, there is a bit of an air gap satisfying the design requirement. There is not as much air as in the other design options, but as I said, this one is a bit of a compromise.
Given the lack of real estate to work with I don't even bother with a fill tube, but rather water by sitting the solo cup in a slightly larger tub of water to fill the reservoir from below through the overflow hole. I usually put a second hole slightly above the overflow hole which seems to assist with filling the reservoir more quickly by allowing a vent for the air being displaced by the increasing water level.
That's it. If you use clear cups you'll be able to see the roots develop but be sure to slide it into an opaque cover cup since the roots won't develop as well if exposed to light.

Highya Azimuth,

You could always add more holes at the same height. Fill resevoir a little faster. Just thinking. Happy Smokin'

Highya Azimuth,

You could always add more holes at the same height. Fill resevoir a little faster. Just thinking. Happy Smokin'
Thanks @Bode. It doesn't take but seconds to fill the reservoirs in those small cups and I like having just one hole at the bottom level which makes it easier to move the cups around without water spilling out from all sides if it's not perfectly level. I usually tip the cup the opposite way from the bottom hole when I move them in and out of my cabinet to minimize any spillage.

SIP Cloning Experiment, Round Two.

This one's for @Gee64 . I didn't have any luck in round one using SIP containers in my normal cloning process where I cover the clones with a vented dome to keep humidity in. That caused them all to rot fairly quickly and that ended that.

This round I'll try rooting clones in my 9oz SIPS but without the dome. I have 4 cups with just the overflow holes and four with additional holes above the overflow holes all around the cup which is how I do my 1L SIPS. Assuming I get some to root, I want to test whether air holes higher up help or hurt the rooting process.

I've taken cuttings from 3 strains, and I'll stick 2 ACDC (a CBD plant), 2 Le Creme (a CBG plant) and 4 Northen Lights 5's splitting them each between the two cup styles.

I'll do them ResDog style and filled the reservoirs tonight to let the soil absorb the water and plan to stick the cuttings tomorrow (they are soaking overnight in tap water). I'll strip all of the lower leaves and trim all of the remaining ones to make it easier to tell if there's been any new growth, dunk them in aloe leaf and stick them in the SIP on a heat mat dialed to about 80*F.

With any luck I'll have me a Christmas present or a Happy New Year.

Ding. Ding.

Back
Top Bottom