SIP Cloning Experiment, Round Two.

This one's for @Gee64 . I didn't have any luck in round one using SIP containers in my normal cloning process where I cover the clones with a vented dome to keep humidity in. That caused them all to rot fairly quickly and that ended that.

This round I'll try rooting clones in my 9oz SIPS but without the dome. I have 4 cups with just the overflow holes and four with additional holes above the overflow holes all around the cup which is how I do my 1L SIPS. Assuming I get some to root, I want to test whether air holes higher up help or hurt the rooting process.

I've taken cuttings from 3 strains, and I'll stick 2 ACDC (a CBD plant), 2 Le Creme (a CBG plant) and 4 Northen Lights 5's splitting them each between the two cup styles.

I'll do them ResDog style and filled the reservoirs tonight to let the soil absorb the water and plan to stick the cuttings tomorrow (they are soaking overnight in tap water). I'll strip all of the lower leaves and trim all of the remaining ones to make it easier to tell if there's been any new growth, dunk them in aloe leaf and stick them in the SIP on a heat mat dialed to about 80*F.

With any luck I'll have me a Christmas present or a Happy New Year.

Ding. Ding.
Ok. The deed is done. Today is Dec 10 so let's see how long they go before they either root or rot.

My plan is to make sure the soil doesn't dry out by watering through the reservoir as necessary. They are on a heat mat which I assume will evaporate more water up into the soil from below and then out the top than might be typical, especially since there is more water involved than usual. No dome since water based cloning methods generally don't need domes as stated above.

I did use Clonex (vs aloe gel) on two of the NL5 cuts to see if that will make any difference and I scraped the stems before the Aloe/Clonex dunk step, and finally added some of my dried worm castings and misted them in to help prevent the fungus that causes damping off disease.

Let's see how carefree and no fuss this way is (or isn't).

🤞

Latest SIP buckets for new photo grow, filling to 1/3rd and going for the direct plant, worst case I'm down 2 seeds :D

sip1.jpg
sip2.jpg
sip3.jpg

Looking great, Weff! :thumb:

Good job on the perlite section. That will really help.

Are you going to pop the bean before you plant it?

Happy with how it turned out, now for the practical test :D

I've already soaked the bean and had it in a wet paper towel inside a ziplock for 24 hours now, it might be ready in a few hours when I check or it might be tomorrow I think.

Looking great, Weff! :thumb:

Good job on the perlite section. That will really help.

Are you going to pop the bean before you plant it?
Hi Azi.
Sorry for the question of ignorance!
What is the purpose of the perlite??

Hi Azi.
Sorry for the question of ignorance!
What is the purpose of the perlite??
In the diy versions with soil in the bottom, the perlite helps keep the soil away from the overflow hole to keep it accessible to release excess water. The roots will eventually populate that area and the hole will have to be reamed out periodically but if you just use soil all the way around the dome, the excess water will be much slower draining.

In the diy versions with soil in the bottom, the perlite helps keep the soil away from the overflow hole to keep it accessible to release excess water. The roots will eventually populate that area and the hole will have to be reamed out periodically but if you just use soil all the way around the dome, the excess water will be much slower draining.
Ahh, ok! Muchas gracias!

Finally got round to using my SIP bucket I built way back. Removed most the stones apart from round the overflow/air (second photo).

There’s a GSC Photo in there. Medium is perlite/soil & coco mix/perlite/soil & coco with perlite on top.

I have it outside on a south and western facing balcony. Its constant 12-12 here year round but it gets light from the security LED light at night too - going to see how it goes as we’re into dry season now. Bit of protection to start with the bottle. Maybe think about building a cage for it if it lives 😀

Nice looking setup! Looks like something I could put together! Happy Smokin'

The green bucket and orange salad shaker thing cost me like $2USD the rest was just lying around. Have some other grows going on but wanted to try both SIP and separately outdoor as its a good season for me - spare seedling, combine both and give it a go! That’s direcrly behind my work area and next to my bedroom so easy to take care of it. 🤞🏼

Looking good, Nick! Welcome to the SIP Club. Just don't get too close to that plant as she grows. :morenutes:

Love the pasta strainer/salad spinner dome. That should work quite nicely for you. :thumb:
Cheers - posted it here a couple of weeks back. But this thread moves as quick as some SIP grows I see!

I built a float about thirty minutes ago. Seems to work.

The GSC is from @Herbies Seeds so “upcycled” their smoke tube they sent. As I said it seems to work so far!

Cheers for all your efforts here Azi!

EDIT - yeah not full. But on it. Still wicking up double quick I think. Dries out so quick outside here I think. Still 28c’s at night and 70% Rh

Cheers - posted it here a couple of weeks back. But this thread moves as quick as some SIP grows I see!
I remember. But now you're actually growing with it. Maybe we need a special patch or something for those that have crossed that line. :laughtwo:

I built a float about thirty minutes ago. Seems to work.

The GSC is from @Herbies Seeds so “upcycled” their smoke tube they sent. As I said it seems to work so far!
Cool. I assume it is closed on the bottom and is pretty light? And do you have markings on the wood to show various levels of full?

I remember. But now you're actually growing with it. Maybe we need a special patch or something for those that have crossed that line. :laughtwo:

Cool. I assume it is closed on the bottom and is pretty light? And do you have markings on the wood to show various levels of full?
Yep- It needs a bit more shaving. There’s “burr” on the bottom of the PVC pipe so it dropped right down and hit the bottom of the bucket.

But - what that means is the res is empty after 15L I estimate. The medium was moist to start so did limited top water when transplanting. The air/overflow works and has been draining some but no where near what’s gone in.

I’m thinking sleep on it and hopefully its just sucking up into the soil/coco medium now - and then as you said yep I can make some notches (and obviously a 420 flag for the top!) but yes it will float. Its a plastic tube filled with air.

From under an @Mars Hydro Hydroline 12 light this morning to 14 hours later in the natural sun - the girl has done well. Perked up no end. Really want to see what the outdoors and SIP can do. Ceiling is literally the sky! 😀

Just treating it as learning different styles and hey it works it might be mega given the climate I live in!

This is Pebbles, a Fruit Punch Auto from @Herbies Seeds on Day# 100 from seed, Day# 69 of flower, and Day# 5 of drought (since her res was empty). She was grown in a SIP bucket (GroBucket) with Sohum soil and @GeoFlora Nutrients amended with @DYNOMYCO Purpinator and Sweet Candy. She's in a 32x32x60 tent with the @VIVOSUN Smart Grow System and the @VIVOSUN AeroLight, a 100w LED, under a 20/4 schedule.

Back
Top Bottom